Message Boards

Topic : Fears, Phobias and Anxiety Disorders

Number of Replies: 784
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:58:51 am
Author : dataimport
Do you have an irrational fear of flying, spiders, leaving your home, or one of a host of other fears? Do you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks? You're not alone. Join those who understand as we struggle to overcome our fears.

Anxiety Disorder Resources

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 10, 2008, 7:44 pm CDT

hi

i thought i could get some advise or something to help me here. i read alot of the posting and i have so many of the same feelings since i was little. i was sexually abuse, had a husb. who beat me. and i got divorced and had my wild days..got myself straight and been with someone for 10 years got married after have 3 kids and 2 by my first husb. before we were married my husb. had a baby with a younger (way younger) girl and that was my x-mas presant to find out he was having a baby. i think i was stupid for marring him cause i cant deal with it and everything else too. i worry, my mind goes all the time and i take meds. but dont think they work. i cant remember much and i do have a full time good job. but i i have a hard time there too. i always think that someone is against me. i have no family and my husb and his mother think i need therapy wich does not work and a wast of money and different meds. i just think im going crazy... if i new what happy  realllly happy was i would jump for joy. i just keep running from problems to keep from having them. this is the first time i have lived in one place over a year and kept a job over a year. everytime i think i have it together i dont. i just feel like im loosing my mind. my son that is 8 has bipolar, major odd, adhd and depression which he gets from my side of the family. my husbands family could do no wrong. please help i need some advice.       

June 10, 2008, 9:42 pm CDT

cure what cure i don't think there are any?

I had an panic attack while riding in a car with my father and family, I had no idea what was going on I just wanted to jump out of the car and run. However I knew I couldn't do that so I just went along with the family to visit my dads brother. When I got home I just wanted to sleep to get away from that scared feeling. I made an appointment with a doctor and got some medicine, which was paxil, that gave me a headache for two solid months. Enough to go to the emergency room and get a catscan of my head, which was all neg. for anything, so I went back to the doc for diff. medicine. Well 9 years later I have been in the loony ben four times for taking all my meds at once. i have tried just about every meds. they have now I just take lexapro and klonozopam, seems to work somewhat but can't seem to be just normal.Normal is what I have been looking for since 1999. I love an adreniline rush from my motorcycle going 120 mph down the highway weaving in out of traffic with a group of motorcycles"crotchrockets"and friends, but can't take any uncontrolled adreniline??????what's up with that. anyway I could go on and on, until I find a cure I will just be crazy and nervous listening to my friends asking me if i took my meds when i get mad.

June 11, 2008, 7:25 pm CDT

normal

Quote From: jojoshow06

I am 25 years old and suffer from severe anxiety and moods. It just started a year and a half ago. I am on meds that kinda help,. They help enough so that I can go to work and make money  to support my son. i am a single mother. I have gone thru alot. I suffer from depression sometimes and feelings of not being worth anything. I dont understand whythis is happening to me. i cant have a relationship because im scared. I have my sfe zones. I only go certain places and im afraid to try anything new or go out in public places. I get very nervous,overwhelmed. My stomach hurts and head hurts my chest feels like its beating 500 million times a miute i cant breathe i get sweaty i mess up my words. I used to be a very outgoing loving caring friendly girl who loved going out all the time and anywhere.......are there any good medications out there that will make me feel like myslef again without feeling like im drugged and have no emotions???? I go to counseling every two weeks but I need something to help me until i can get thru this rough time. I have also had many sugeries and procedures done....in the past two years...its been rough and overwhelming and i am in debt and scared................
I have found personallly that clonezepam aka klonopin, that I believe I mispelled in my first post, is for me the best as far as not stopping how you feel, but stopping the massive and overwhelming feelings of panic, as far as Normal, what is normal, the drugs help, but you have to help yourself as well, this can be hard and can be a fight, but you have to force yourself out there, make sure you have your meds with you, then you know they are there, when you start to feel overwhelmed, try to focus on something, force yourself to focus on something, what made you go there, what interests you there, force yourself to interact before you know it you will find yourself more interested in what your focused on and that feeling will be gone, and there is nothing wrong with taking a med to just take the edge off to be able to focus and cope, without making you emotionally dead, why I personally don't like anti-depressants. Everyone wants a cure, but we all have battles to face in life, old saying that which don't kill us makes us stronger, you can set your mind to be determined to beat the odds, does not mean you won't have moments, but as long as you have something to keep it from turning into a full blown panic attack,  mild anxiety feels like a walk in the park compaired to that, so just push forward, find something that stops the panic without changing your ability to feel, and also, see someone, there may be things in your past, maybe suppressed things event that need to be addressed, and you can also learn some methods to help coping methods when your feeling overwhelmed, you do have a choice, but start small, then go out a bit further each time, you will find that you can take control of your life, anxiety and panic does not have to control you :)

June 11, 2008, 8:00 pm CDT

Hi

Quote From: tlwlagunas

i thought i could get some advise or something to help me here. i read alot of the posting and i have so many of the same feelings since i was little. i was sexually abuse, had a husb. who beat me. and i got divorced and had my wild days..got myself straight and been with someone for 10 years got married after have 3 kids and 2 by my first husb. before we were married my husb. had a baby with a younger (way younger) girl and that was my x-mas presant to find out he was having a baby. i think i was stupid for marring him cause i cant deal with it and everything else too. i worry, my mind goes all the time and i take meds. but dont think they work. i cant remember much and i do have a full time good job. but i i have a hard time there too. i always think that someone is against me. i have no family and my husb and his mother think i need therapy wich does not work and a wast of money and different meds. i just think im going crazy... if i new what happy  realllly happy was i would jump for joy. i just keep running from problems to keep from having them. this is the first time i have lived in one place over a year and kept a job over a year. everytime i think i have it together i dont. i just feel like im loosing my mind. my son that is 8 has bipolar, major odd, adhd and depression which he gets from my side of the family. my husbands family could do no wrong. please help i need some advice.       

Thearopy can be affective if you find the right kind of therapy and are willing to face things.

From what you have said, sexual abuse if not dealt with, can be a life long problem not only for you but also your children, my problems came from being raised by my mom who was full of hate and had major problems from being sexual abused by her dad, and it went ignored and still does, she has not changed and has always been a miserable person.

You said that your first husband was abusive, so that shows that you continued to choose people who be abusive, and from the feeling I get from your comments, your current situation if not physically abusive may be emotionally abusive, also added with your son having mental disorders that you also feel responsible for in some way if it is genetic.

Low self esteem, feeling that you deserve abuse, even if it is subconscience, feelings of guilt of self blame, and not being able to trust people, all quite common emotions for someone who has experienced abuse.

I am not a psychologist, but you need to learn how to face, deal, overcome the source of the problem, and you do need help to do that, its finding someone who really wants to help you and not just give you drugs and mask it, drugs can help but they don't remove past hurt, anger, abuse, that has to be dealt with.

I would not worry about what my inlaws think, don't worry about everyone else start focusing on yourself, you are worth it, you are important, you do deserve to be treated right, you do deserve to be happy, you are not crazy you are emotionally dramatized and scarred and need healing from within. I know there are refferences to psychogolist on this site, you know Dr Phil will reccomend the best, if its not near you they may can recommend someone who is, but it only works if your willing to allow it too, may be revisiting some things that are not pleasant, but there is light once again that which don't kill us makes us stronger, don't let the abusers in your past or even your present, continue to control and rule and ruin your life, fight for your happiness you do deserve it.

June 12, 2008, 2:44 pm CDT

Fears, Phobias and Anxiety Disorders

Quote From: dixiesattic

I have found personallly that clonezepam aka klonopin, that I believe I mispelled in my first post, is for me the best as far as not stopping how you feel, but stopping the massive and overwhelming feelings of panic, as far as Normal, what is normal, the drugs help, but you have to help yourself as well, this can be hard and can be a fight, but you have to force yourself out there, make sure you have your meds with you, then you know they are there, when you start to feel overwhelmed, try to focus on something, force yourself to focus on something, what made you go there, what interests you there, force yourself to interact before you know it you will find yourself more interested in what your focused on and that feeling will be gone, and there is nothing wrong with taking a med to just take the edge off to be able to focus and cope, without making you emotionally dead, why I personally don't like anti-depressants. Everyone wants a cure, but we all have battles to face in life, old saying that which don't kill us makes us stronger, you can set your mind to be determined to beat the odds, does not mean you won't have moments, but as long as you have something to keep it from turning into a full blown panic attack,  mild anxiety feels like a walk in the park compaired to that, so just push forward, find something that stops the panic without changing your ability to feel, and also, see someone, there may be things in your past, maybe suppressed things event that need to be addressed, and you can also learn some methods to help coping methods when your feeling overwhelmed, you do have a choice, but start small, then go out a bit further each time, you will find that you can take control of your life, anxiety and panic does not have to control you :)

thank you so much for your advice. just get lonley . with my mom being gone at all. maybe i need i do neee to see someone but its nev3er helped before but maybe a third try is a charm. its like a losingg a battle. sorry about this computer it types so slow.im borrowing a nother compter from work

thank you

June 12, 2008, 5:05 pm CDT

smiles

Quote From: tlwlagunas

thank you so much for your advice. just get lonley . with my mom being gone at all. maybe i need i do neee to see someone but its nev3er helped before but maybe a third try is a charm. its like a losingg a battle. sorry about this computer it types so slow.im borrowing a nother compter from work

thank you

yes it can seem grim at times, if your lonely sounds like you need to get out and throw yourself into something, maybe something that would help other people, it takes focus off yourself and your problems, it can actually be very healing to help other people, I have to force myself to do things at times, it is very easy to just hide and shut off from everyone, like being on the pc for instance, I have just recently made myself stop spending so much time on the pc and making myself do other things, including things I have been neglecting, too much idle time is not a good thing, idle time is the devil's workshop, it really helps to keep yourself busy,and if you can find something you enjoy doing, that is a bonus :)

June 13, 2008, 5:36 pm CDT

anxiety (Gad's ect...)

I just noticed this message board so I thought I would share a few things I have learned over the years dealing with anxiety, phobia's and G.A.D's.

When I was in my mid 20's I started having really bad generalized anxiety.  After a few years of dealing with that, I started gaining phobia's, then down out panic attachs.  I didn't know what was wrong.  I stayed in the house as much as possible.  My outgoing personality was changing into a depressed, not wanting to go anywhere, do anything person. 

After I had my child I found my anxiety got worse.  Finally I took everyones suggestions and went to a doctor. It was a great move but probably the last thing a person wants to do.  How hard is it to tell someone that you are mentally unstable!  VERY HARD.  The doctor I talked to put me on Paxil and did some explaining to me.  It was great start to a long process of learning about anxiety, Phobia's ect...

I spent a lot of time reading and learning all that I could about panic attach's and anxiety.  I recommend EVERYONE who deals with anxiety, depression ect should learn as much about it as they can.  The more you know the better off you are at trying to deal with it.  Did you know that it can be passed on threw generations?  Did you know that there are MANY ways you can deal with it?  Did you know millions of people suffer just like we do? 

Feel compfortable about it, talk to people about it, try and help yourself.  Don't just take a doctors word, or a friends word.  Read and learn about it.  Although I am still on medication for it,   I am able to handle better because I understand better.  It's a great step

June 14, 2008, 5:55 am CDT

severe anxiety and panic attacks

im 29 yrs old living really a non existing life. im on disability. i sufferfrom severe panic and anxiety attacks its so bad i dont go in stores . i shop online. i cant do the normal everyday stuff i use to be able to do.ive been to doctors but i cant afford a real doctor who knows about what im going through i can hardly affors the medication, which is valume but since i havent been to see him in 2 yrs he recently stop treating me and cut my meds off completely so at this point i dont know weither to give up or what im at my wits end . i dont think i can handle these feelings anymore. i cry alot. all i do is think and think, and it doesnt get any better, the dizziness, the headaches, hot flashes.i get so nervous when alot of people r crowding me . i only feel safe in some areas. im reaching out to anyone who understand or who can help  me please. theres got to be one person out there who cares

June 14, 2008, 4:21 pm CDT

Fears, Phobias and Anxiety Disorders

Quote From: ceebs29

im 29 yrs old living really a non existing life. im on disability. i sufferfrom severe panic and anxiety attacks its so bad i dont go in stores . i shop online. i cant do the normal everyday stuff i use to be able to do.ive been to doctors but i cant afford a real doctor who knows about what im going through i can hardly affors the medication, which is valume but since i havent been to see him in 2 yrs he recently stop treating me and cut my meds off completely so at this point i dont know weither to give up or what im at my wits end . i dont think i can handle these feelings anymore. i cry alot. all i do is think and think, and it doesnt get any better, the dizziness, the headaches, hot flashes.i get so nervous when alot of people r crowding me . i only feel safe in some areas. im reaching out to anyone who understand or who can help  me please. theres got to be one person out there who cares

Where do you live?  Is there no free mental health there? 

When I finally went in and see my doctor and was put on Paxil, she told me to learn all I can about anxiety, There is free information on the web, in community health facilities (there is even free councelors threw the provincial government)  and the library.  I went to an actual psychiatrist and she was able to give me an more indepth insight on what I was dealing with.  I got her information then hit the books and learned all I could.   Although you can find some very contraditory information out there, there is some good that you can grab from it all and use to your advantage.  I have felt like you, felt like giving up, But that would just not be the person I am.  So I got stubborn, wasn't going to let this run my life any more, and did what I needed to do.  As for the financial aspect of "being on medication" or "going to a doctor".  Nothing is more important than your health.  Find a way,  You will and can be happy again.

Hope this helps a bit

June 15, 2008, 12:38 am CDT

I really hope you get to read this and thanks!

Quote From: dixiesattic

I have suffered with severe panic attacks from about age 12, although having anxiety always just seem to get worse as I got older. I had the same thoughts as others I have seen on here, am I crazy, thought seeking help was like admitting being crazy, then you have the people that tell you, oh your just a worry wart, its all in your head, etc etc, these things don't help. I tried alchohol, medications, different ways of partying and getting wasted anything to escape the dreaded panic attacks, I would also run to church and get prayed for, this did help, but one preacher who pointed a finger in my face and told me I had to stop giving attention to it, and I could either set and listen or leave, that was one of the best things anyone ever said, here I was with a situation I could go back in and set through the service and battle this attack or run out of the church admitting defeat, in this istance it made me realize to some degree I had a choice, and some form of control. Now it was still years later and a really stupid drunken episode that landed me in the hospital that finally made me get diagnosed for Panic/anxiety disorder. I have found that anti-depressants really do not help me, as I am not depressed, but I take Klonazapam which is an ati convulsant that stops them and prevents them, but I can still feel emotion, I can still get scared or nervous, just keeps it from getting extreme, helps me to be able to handle thoughts and fears with some rationality. I am original from Alabama, I now live in Australia, now a person with my disorder could normally not move from their home town much less to another country, so it is something that can be controlled.

What is a panic attack, some will say it is the worst thing that a person can go through but it only last a few minutes, for those of you who say a few minutes my blank blank, your not alone, worst feeling, yes, terrifying yes, goes away after a few minutes, not if its severe.

I would have an attack, could feel it coming, but once it got that far was too late, does not help when you have no idea what it is either.

Symptoms: Heart races, a sudden overwhelming feeling of dread or fear, a feeling of needing to run away or being paralized, legs turn to jello, body shakes, short of breath, can cause bowel movement or diarriah,

a feeling that your dying. These are initional and come on suddenly, you may have some or all symptoms or maybe even more, I also experienced overwhelming cold or chills.

What triggers these things depends on what type your are, they can just come from no where, but alot of times are set off by things that worry you or negative thoughts, I am what you would call a "What If" thinker, what if this or that happened, or what if I did something horrible or became a horrible person, you may see something on tv that someone did, and think what if I did that, and then think I must be horrible for thinking that, its a viscious cycle, funny thing, once the panic attack hits you forget what really set it off then just become afraid of the attack, and fearing attacks can bring on attacks, which brings me back to only lasts a few minutes, try weeks at a time.

I would have an attack, it would calm down, and just hit me again, over and over, I would eventually pace and wear myself down into a sleep just to wake up and as soon as I thought, it was back again, would get to a point where I would become dissasociated from myself, this is also a frightenening place to be, where you see people around you, they may be talking to you, you may be even responding, but you don't feel like your really there, like your looking through tunnel, not really attached to yourself anymore, you know that saying of being in a room of people and being alone, not only alone but not even with yourself, would compare to being in a dreamlike state awake but only make that nightmare.

Why do people become afraid of certain places or leaving their home, because they are afraid of having panic attacks, and build up what I would call safe zones where they are less likely to have them, and avoid places where they may more likely have them and without help will probably stay this way, some things can be overcome without medication, but sometimes, especially in severe cases such as mine you need it, and I don't take much, not even what I am suppose to, but just knowing its there helps, kinda like a safety zone you can carry with you, is it a crutch, purhaps, but is living or trying to fight a living nightmare without it a better option, I don't think so, and  I don't want to be limited to my house, or afraid to go out, I am a bit isolated at times, ati -social behavior can be easy to develope with this condition, but I refuse to let an illness beat me, yes I needed help, but I have seen people with help who still let it control them, you can either decide to get help and learn as much about it as you can, so you know how to train your thinking, or you can let it run your life, personally the second is not a option for me, but something I couldn't do alone, don't try to self medicate, don't drink, do not advise horror movies for people with this disorder, learn your limits.

You have to wonder how many drug addicts, alchoholics and suicide attempts or successes have had this disorder, cause some people do not realize exactly how disabilitating it can be, but it don't have to be stop running from it, and get help for it, take medications if advised too, do what you need to in the right way to get control back over your life.

Remind yourself, I am not an evil person, I am not crazy, this is just a feeling there is nothing to actually fear, keep yourself and mind busy, working can be extremely helpful for this in alot of cases. I know there is alot to read here, but just giving my story and a bit of a description of what happens, and would be happy to talk with anyone about it, if you have advice for me, happy to hear it, knowing the problem is half the battle and knowing your not alone is a blessing.

I am 23 and have had panic attacks and anxiety attacks, sine i was little maybe it was from what i was exposed to as a child, i have had them since maybe as young as 8 years of age. I have abused my body, through drugs or even alcahol substances, cutting and eating disorders like to release the anger and frustration, it's hard because you can't control it and i stii have not been to see a doctor at all about it, i know it may sound bad but you have made me realize something that i am not alone and that there is help out there and maybde it is beatable instead of living with this horrible tite pain but  get real strong pains in the chest area when i have them and break out sometimes i can't help it and lash out in violence then break down in tears and i hate living with it, started taking a natural herbal drop called bah and it helps calm me down when they start up or before you feel them coming on i take two drops and helps me alott

I hope you get this and can give me some advice

thanks bexs

First | Prev | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | Next | Last