Message Boards

Topic : Fears, Phobias and Anxiety Disorders

Number of Replies: 784
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:58:51 am
Author : dataimport
Do you have an irrational fear of flying, spiders, leaving your home, or one of a host of other fears? Do you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks? You're not alone. Join those who understand as we struggle to overcome our fears.

Anxiety Disorder Resources

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 15, 2008, 8:06 am CDT

RE:

Quote From: youngkiwimum23

I am 23 and have had panic attacks and anxiety attacks, sine i was little maybe it was from what i was exposed to as a child, i have had them since maybe as young as 8 years of age. I have abused my body, through drugs or even alcahol substances, cutting and eating disorders like to release the anger and frustration, it's hard because you can't control it and i stii have not been to see a doctor at all about it, i know it may sound bad but you have made me realize something that i am not alone and that there is help out there and maybde it is beatable instead of living with this horrible tite pain but  get real strong pains in the chest area when i have them and break out sometimes i can't help it and lash out in violence then break down in tears and i hate living with it, started taking a natural herbal drop called bah and it helps calm me down when they start up or before you feel them coming on i take two drops and helps me alott

I hope you get this and can give me some advice

thanks bexs

No your not alone, its only by the grace of God I am still alive with some of the things I have done, and I am 34 now, and was not until about age 26 when I actually got diagnosed, that was only because a drunken spree led me to take an overdose of sleeping pills that landed me in the psyche ward for a week, but getting help was the best thing, and wish I had of done it myself instead of it taking something insane like that, herbs can be a great thing, you can also find psychologist that preffer natural methods of treatment, you can always search and do research on the psychologists in your area, and see where or who you may feel comfortable with, they are not going to strap you down and take you away if you seek out help, and too that also shows that you truly want it. I would lash out in all kinds of ways especially when I was younger, but most things I done were dangerous to myself but I could also be a threat to others if I was drinking, so self medicating is not the answer, you need to be diagnosed, you need to understand why and what, and you need to learn to talk about it and what coping methods will work best for you, the act of cutting yourself and even anger are control methods, you can't control what your feeling, cutting hurts you but its a hurt you control because you feel you can't control the other, but you can, and hurting yourself is not the answer, getting free is, seek help it is nothing to be ashamed of, getting help because you attempt something stupid and land yourself there without a choice, now that can be embarrassing, and too there is also the risk that you could go to far and not make it and really that is not a risk worth taking, so get help, you are already aware you need too, you can see from the posts here your not alone.

Once you take the step you will be glad you did dont keep suffering when you dont have too :)

June 19, 2008, 3:20 pm CDT

Fears, Phobias and Anxiety Disorders

I have coulrophobia (afraid of clowns), arachnophobia (spiders) and ophidiophobia (snakes).

If I see a clowndoll my heart starts beating fast and I just wanna run away. The clowns in the circus I don't really know about cuz it's been a while since Iv'e been in a circus.. 

Luckily I've never seen a snake in real life except for one time in Sweden, but it was dead and I was really young at that time, about 8 years old so..

Iv'e seen spiders a thousand times.. The really small ones I can smack with a magazine etc. but the bigger ones... Don't wanna talk about it!

-Michala.

June 19, 2008, 11:04 pm CDT

Fears, Phobias and Anxiety Disorders

I have Androphobia, and it is probably the most frustrating and most unexplanable, to me, of most fears. I had it ever since i was little, like around 8, and it started with me just being uncomfortable around them. Not wanting to sit near them, having to move somewhere else if they were near me in a store. And as i got older it just became worse and worse, and now it's so bad that i move immediately when i'm near one lol. I mean i get little panic attacks, cause i never get the really bad ones, and whenever it's the first day of school, and i have a teacher of that sex, already i'm freaking out in my mind. I would have to say besides the fact that my entire body shakes, and i can't breathe at all, and im dizzy lol. The worst part would be not knowing at all why i have this fear, i was NEVER harmed by one, at least from what i remember. You see i also happen to have the worse memory, and i can not remember anything from my past, but i'm just sure if i was attacked or harmed - that's not something you just forget lol. IDK why i have it, but i know that it's really hard to deal with, because some days i'm close to tears, because i feel like they're out to like hurt me or something (omg i feel like a freakin freak right now, my god). Other days i just have the whole like breathing difficulty and breathing blah blah. I'm not even sure if it's a real fear considering i found the name online lol, but it is very real to me, and it sucks not being able to wanna go to the mall or movies or anywhere public because it's there lol.  Oh, wait, lol i never wrote what it was - fear of men. Yeah ok please like don't judge me or comment me with something rude and just immature, cause new to this whole message board thing and idk what u do here, besides post lol. :)

June 20, 2008, 8:02 am CDT

Things I need to do! Procrastinater

I have no kids at home, husband works from home, 4 pets, don't need a fulltime job...So why can't I get things done?

June 21, 2008, 6:57 am CDT

fear of everything!

im scared of everything it ruins my life. i think i have every diesese i think im sick with everything. i think people falllow me and i think everyone is trying to kill me. sometimes i run from things that are really not there. i believe everyone is trying to screw me over sometimes. i always think my boyfriend is cheating on me, i always think people are talking about me. im scared to drive with others and its driving me crazy!! can anyone help in any way... these phobias are ruining my life

June 27, 2008, 12:53 pm CDT

THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE...........

Hello!  I am Niecey from Batavia, New York.  I suffere from MAJOR anxiety, and Depression.  Panic Disorder as well.  I have many issues.  I try to control the thoughts, and the fears, but the thought tend to control me, and I begin to fear everything.  I think the worst thing is my MAJOR anxiety.  I fear that I have every illnessa nd disease out there.  If someone tells me that they or someone they know has or had an illness I suddenly begin to get the symptoms or fear that I will.  For example.......  I dont know what it is but lately alot of people seem to be having heart problems and brain tumors, and anurysums.  I think on a daily basis that I will end up with either one of these illnesses.  I have already thought I had Pancreatic Cancer because I was having stomach discomfort.  My gastrointestinal doctor just looked at me and said You don't have any Pancreatic Cancer.  And your Colonoscopy was crystal clear.  I always worry about things, and its easy for people to say well when its your time its your time.  I think thats the coldest approach because people who have illnesses like this really don't see it that way.  They really fear that these things are happening to them.  I could go on and on here, but I just wanted to mention a few things because I know how long this could get.  I fear that people are talking about me, and that people dont like me, and that someone is always trying to do something to spit me.  I fear not being liked and not having any friends, and sometimes I think that I try too hard and make a complete fool out of myself.  I have alot more to add, but I will stop here.  If anyone else would like a friend to talk to and understands what Im going through then we need to talk.  You can E-mail me anytime at my regular E-mail address.  Id love to hear from you.  I am 42, and the mother of 3 small children by the way and I am married.  Anyone in my area?  Batavia, New York?  Western New York?

Niecey

July 8, 2008, 1:57 am CDT

Panic and Anxiety Galore

I have been with panic and anxiety since I tried smoking weed when I was 19. I hear a lot of people have a reaction to this stimulant. Well, that day I remember my heart racing and my heart has never gone fast without me putting stress on my body such as running up and down the stairs or riding my bike really fast. Now my heart takes off when I wake up from a dream where I am running or I get anxious in my dreams. My heart goes fast when I think of it going fast. I had no idea I could make my heart go fast by thinking about it. I think about making money all the time and that never comes to pass. Go figure! Anyways, that is a huge trigger for me. The reason is obvious, anyone who has a fast heartrate for no reason must be knocking on the door of a cardiac arrest is my thinking, but I have been told that this is not true. My heart is able to withstand this demand that I put on it and then some. This is so frustrating when people tell me that it's ok for your heart to go super duper fast as long as you have had blood tests, stress tests, treadmill tests to confirm there is no structural damage from within the body.  I just don't buy how anyone can handle this over and over like I have. I know people get fast heart rates all the time and I understand it but when it comes to my heart going fast because of fear, I just don't think the fight - flight response is kicking in when it's suppose to. It's mis-firing all the time. Who can live like this? Panic attacks are a nightmare and I would not wish it upon anybody. I am praying that Dr. Phil can help me and lead me on the right path back to a normal and healthy life again.

July 10, 2008, 6:00 am CDT

To anybody please.

I am keep having this bad dream about the water tower we have in this state. I am dreaming about me going up in the water tower, and going down with death. I don't at all like this dream so much. I hate this dream too. I don't at all like very high places too. Please anybody only woman can answering this. Please I need help. My heart is beating after this bad dream too very fast. Its like I am going to die soon. I am keep thinking about it too.

July 14, 2008, 4:17 pm CDT

any ideas?

I have severe anxiety especially when driving and have panic attacks. My driving has become very constricted due to this and my destinations have become more limited. I have a really hard time with highway driving. I have tried to desensitize myself by slowly increasing my amt. of highway driving, deep breathing, listening to the radio, leaving the windows down, keeping a cold drink and praying. None of this has helped and it has only gotten worse over the years. I am already in therapy, does anyone have any other suggestions.

Thanks.

August 7, 2008, 8:59 pm CDT

Dealing with anxiety

Hi

I can not believe that I am posting this.  I am in a very frustrating place in my life.  I suffer from anixiety because I have IBS.  I have been trying to find a job that I can work at and not be looked at as a freak when I have one of my spells with my stomach.  I have the disorder for 19 years.  I had it cleared for awhile.  I have a lot of devasting blows in my life over the last 6 years.  I had lost my grandfather in 2001. Then lost my mother eighteen months in 2003. then my dad in 2006.  took care of him for 2 years before his death. then this past august I lost my grandmother.  I have alot of fear and anxiety when I go out.  Plus I have been thru alot of different jobs over the past 2 years.  Not to mention a divorce in 2006.  Also was a stay at home mom for 15 years.  Been out of work since February.  Can not find any job to get that I would feel comfortable doing. And not to feel out of place or a freak.  I have been trying to get into the medical office field.  but never can work long enough to pay to get a certification.  I am not eligible for a student loan.  This has been my dream for about 5 years. I have seen my mother struggle all her life.  Die unhappy about the way her life went. I seem to be heading down that same path.  I want so bad to change my life.  I have tried and tried.  I was very depressed for a very long time also. I feel that I am not depressed anymore.  Just the aniexty about going to new places and find a job.  You know it is rough when you feel useless and nobody wants to hire you.  How do I find the dreams I want and get the career that I want.  I feel under qualified for most jobs.  My confidence is very low about myself.  My concentration level is really bad too.  I can not even do a cashier job because of the anixity and ibs issues.  I would appreciate any opions that some of you might have.  I just want a normal and productive life.  And to stop hiding from the world.  Thank You for listening..

First | Prev | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | Next | Last