Message Boards

Topic : Fears, Phobias and Anxiety Disorders

Number of Replies: 784
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:58:51 am
Author : dataimport
Do you have an irrational fear of flying, spiders, leaving your home, or one of a host of other fears? Do you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks? You're not alone. Join those who understand as we struggle to overcome our fears.

Anxiety Disorder Resources

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 17, 2005, 12:47 am CST

Anxiety and Depression

Quote From: ladyjan

Hi, 

How can you help me?  I have read some of your other postings. 

Hi,  

I have been offering a CBT course FREE for people suffering from anxiety and depression.  It not only saved my son's life it gave him a life.  In using CBT he overcame his anxiety, after suffering his entire life.  For more information e-mail me at : rowdens@shaw.ca  

Pat 

November 21, 2005, 10:52 pm CST

help me out of the night

Hi everyone,I'm new here I would like to know if it is common to be terrifed of the dark? 

I am setting here right now at 1:30 am scared to death.I CAN'T SLEEP..ALL  I CAN DO IS SET AND LISTEN TO SEE IF I HEAR ANY STRANGE NOISES! Crazy isn't it! i would really like to over come this fear of the night. I just don't know how to even begin.  

I am happily married..the only thing is my husband is a truck driver and he just started with a new company a couple weeks ago and he is gone most of the time. This fear has gotten worse since then. He has driven for 5 years. With his former job he was home about 3 nights a week and on weekends. So this is a big change for me. Iam home with my boys. This fear is affecting my 9 year old.at night I take my mattress off the bed and put it in the living room so I can monitor all the noises all around the house.If I hear a noise I become very scared and stay that way all night.Then about 5:00 am I am fine,til nightfall again. 

i am not scared when my husband is hear.I know I am rambling but I need to let my feelings out. 

Right now I have a butcher knife and a hammer on the arm of my couch..the thing is I think if someone would try to get in I would be frozen and not be able to do a thing.' 

We have a Rottweiler that stays outside and he gets really upset some nights and barks at *SOMETHING* what I don't know because I am to dam scared to look out the window or open the  door to look out. This is awful I am a mother and I am supposed to reassure my boys that everything is ok..and yet they sense and see my fear.I am so ashamed that my 9 year old doesn't feel like his mom is protecting him.I could go on for hours but I am going to try to lay down and look allnight because I sure as hell am to chicken to go to sleep. 

If any has any advice to over come this PLEASE HELP!!! I am at the edge with this crazy stuff. 

Thank You  

Jenny 

November 28, 2005, 11:29 pm CST

nodark

Quote From: nodark

Hi everyone,I'm new here I would like to know if it is common to be terrifed of the dark? 

I am setting here right now at 1:30 am scared to death.I CAN'T SLEEP..ALL  I CAN DO IS SET AND LISTEN TO SEE IF I HEAR ANY STRANGE NOISES! Crazy isn't it! i would really like to over come this fear of the night. I just don't know how to even begin.  

I am happily married..the only thing is my husband is a truck driver and he just started with a new company a couple weeks ago and he is gone most of the time. This fear has gotten worse since then. He has driven for 5 years. With his former job he was home about 3 nights a week and on weekends. So this is a big change for me. Iam home with my boys. This fear is affecting my 9 year old.at night I take my mattress off the bed and put it in the living room so I can monitor all the noises all around the house.If I hear a noise I become very scared and stay that way all night.Then about 5:00 am I am fine,til nightfall again. 

i am not scared when my husband is hear.I know I am rambling but I need to let my feelings out. 

Right now I have a butcher knife and a hammer on the arm of my couch..the thing is I think if someone would try to get in I would be frozen and not be able to do a thing.' 

We have a Rottweiler that stays outside and he gets really upset some nights and barks at *SOMETHING* what I don't know because I am to dam scared to look out the window or open the  door to look out. This is awful I am a mother and I am supposed to reassure my boys that everything is ok..and yet they sense and see my fear.I am so ashamed that my 9 year old doesn't feel like his mom is protecting him.I could go on for hours but I am going to try to lay down and look allnight because I sure as hell am to chicken to go to sleep. 

If any has any advice to over come this PLEASE HELP!!! I am at the edge with this crazy stuff. 

Thank You  

Jenny 

i know how you feel i am doing the same exact thing you are but i live out in the woods and i have a 4-10 next to the bed with the door locked and one baby in the swing and the other baby in the bed with me i wish i could help but i cant i just want you to know that you are not the only one

December 2, 2005, 3:17 pm CST

HELP FINDING HELP FOR MY BROTHER IN TEXAS!

Hi everybody.  What a lovely world we live in huh.  My brother has had an alcohol problem for many years.  Yet it never cost him his job of 20 years!  He was traveling all around the world for this company.  While he was in Canada and under allot of stress, (son had called him and said ex-girlfriends boyfriend was threatening his life so he was carrying his shotgun!)  Right what parent wouldn't freak out over that!  While he was leaving this plant that he was at an angry gentlemen jumped in this huge dump truck like vehicle, was not paying attention to where he was going.  No my brother dodged that bullet, but went into a major anxiety/panic attack.  Sent back home on tons of meds (benzodiazapines).  Went to a Dr.  who kept him on extremely high doses of Ativan Seraquill for 21/2 years.  Long story short>  In and out of hospitals, 3 or 4 different Dr.'s all ending in the result of masking the problem with prescription drugs.  So now on top of battling alcohol and perscription drug addiction, he is suffering major anxiety and panic attacks.  Due to the meds, making a zombie out of him, and causing medically induced psychosis he lost his job, and is now the Medicaide.  The only places that accept this or certain Hospitals, that just turn around and put him on the same ole crap!  I found a highly recommended place in Houston that deals with all the above.  $40,000.00 for a six week stay!  Medicaide DOES NOT touch these places!  Is there any place or any one Therapist or Dr. in the state of Texas that gives a hoot about helping somebody anymore?  I am begging for help here.  My brother is extremely brilliant minded, and yes is an alcoholic.  A trying to recover alcoholic and now a perscription drug addict thanks to our lovely caring medical industry.  What has happened to compassion and caring in this world.  Don't these people take sworn oaths in helping people?  I am devistated by how warped and corrupted our Medical Industry has become.  Can it change? Yep !  How? By us citizens standing up to our lawmakers and public awareness.  We the voters can make a difference.  Sorry folks....that is just how I feel and yes I will go before our lawmakers and plea for some mighty big changes.  Any help here on finding some one, some place to help my brother, will be highly appreciated.  Thank you all for listening.  Sorry Again on getting carried away. 

With All My Heart, 

Beverly Blaha Lanfear 

December 5, 2005, 9:16 am CST

dazed and confused

The start of my day seemed to go good. I watched some T.V.  A news flash came on this afternoon  about someone who was married to someone who raped me 17 years ago. I think that the only way I could deal with what was happening to me was that it was not the first time I had been victimized . My step father molested me as far as I can remember at the age of 7. This guy who raped me, he will never get out. He has been declared a dangerous offender. He killed 3 of his many victims.  She, his wife helped him kidnap and rape 2 of them. She ratted him out after he put a beating on her, and well, she made a plea agreement with the Crown.She completed her sentence and was released just this past summer. She made an appeal to the high court here in Canada, that her restrictions were impeading on her human rights. I believe that sex offenders owe it to their victims,society and the communities that they choose to live as a whole to let them know that they are living amongst them. I'm angry, I'm sad and I'm scared.  I'm terrified to leave my house, and go anywhere alone, day or night. 

My family, even though it is big are not ones that I can have any meaningful conversations with, including my mother and father. I'm shaking like a person with Parkinsons, at this very moment.  I'm risking my annonimity by sharing this with all of you.  This thing will never go away, something comes back in the news about one or the other of them and I feel like I'm back at square 1.Anxiety sets in, nightmares come, insomnia and then depression.  I have to stop now, and try to get some perspective on this. I hope that  talking about this here will help me in some way. ............roo 

December 8, 2005, 2:34 pm CST

i used to be normal

Endoscopic Thoracic Sympathectomy surgery was performed on me in 2002 for hyperhidrosis .  In 2003 I became arthritic, developed Raynauds, lost thyroid-gained too much weight , extreme pain in arms from shoulders to fingertips, fatigue, a weird rash on my neck, pits in my nails, and constant headache. I was not informed of any of these side effects prior to surgery. Dr has history of malpractice.I have now read reports comparing this surgery to Lobotomy, and side effects mimic fibromyalgia. Numerous Internet forums report all of us feel nothing emotionally anymore—as if we were unplugged. I recently discovered via my medical records that i have an unusual lung condition that sometimes prevents the surgery being done. Instead of canceling surgery--Dr went ahead and cut my nerves(instead of clamping).never told me about my lung--or being cut. 

i have severe dizzy spells and am now on SS disability. I am listed in Professional Whos Who...but probably never see that happen again. 

won award for best on-air talent....wont see that again either. 

these Dr's lie about side effects and are robbing people of their lives and souls. we've seen suicides happen from this surgery. 

Im 38 ....too young for this-and no hope to fix it medically. 

will someone PLEASE help us? 

December 10, 2005, 9:18 am CST

social phobia

5 years ago I was diagnosed with social anxiety, but I've had it since I was 5, for at least 15 years. It interferes with most important aspects of my life. It has prevented me from experiencing life, since I am so afraid of people, and avoid them so much it makes it extremely tough to try to face my fears. I am hopeful, SA is treatable. However the CBT way hasn't worked on me, and meds seem like they really didn't help me either, both tend to make me feel like I'm not really getting to the root. But I have found other ways of dealing with SA and am making improvements in my life, it's a slow process, but I am sure that I have the potential to overcome this obstacle just like everyone else has the potential to overcome their problems.

All of you guys should realize that whatever problem you have, it didn't happen in a day, so you owe it to yourself to be patient. One of the most helpful things was to learn to have more patience with myself, I'm still working on it.

Is there anyone else on here recovering from a lifetime of severe social anxiety?

December 14, 2005, 12:38 am CST

Help....anyone...please

Hi everyone I'm Angie.  I guess I wanted to post this to see if I was going to get better.  I have anxiety with so many areas in my life.  I can't ride in a car with someone until I trust them a lot.  And even then my palms are sweating, my heart rate is up and I can't stop watching all the cars around me and even then I vision wrecks happening.  I'll be in a room and find all the exits within a minute, for fear if don't something will happen and I won't be able to get out.  If I'm in convenient store or shop I'm Leary of everything and everyone, wondering if someone will rob us or just go crazy and start shooting everyone.  When I'm stopped at a light in my car I check my locks and mirrors for prowlers at every stop.  When I'm at home it's even worst.  I live under the path that a lot of planes take to land and take off.  When I hear them it startles me every time.  I think we are under attack or a bomb went off and it's only a moment before I die.  The same thing happens when I see a flash of light coming from my window.  I am so scared of getting sick that I was my hands every time I touch an unfamiliar surface.  I can't watch the news because it will just trigger a new phobia.  These are a few of my BIG things that consume my daily life.  I've been to doctors a bunch of doctors who say they can help but so far no good.  I am sick of paying people to pretend to listen and care with no results.  If anyone has some advice I could sure use it.

December 14, 2005, 11:44 am CST

Scared of being ill

Hello, this is my first time here.  I'm a 29 year old single mother of 2 and for the most part I love my life, but I do have a great fear of being ill and/or dying...I know there are many who are probably scared of the same thing (s), but I think mine goes a little too far..and I think it comes from me being diognosed and misdiagnosed with so many things.  When I was new born I was about to dye(don't know what exactly was wrong with me, I have a thyroid problem, I've had pre-cancerous cells, I was told my daughter was going to have down syndrome (thank God that was a misdiagnose), I was told I might have cancer in my thyroid (misdiagnosed), I have a mitrovalve (heart condition but not serious) and most recently I HAD a brain tumor, but thank GOD it dissapeared with prayer and faith.  So all this has caused a great fear of me going to a doctor.  Now every time I have any type of pain my mind goes wild and I just don't want to go to a doctor anymore.  I don't want to know what's wrong with me anymore.  Its become really bad because I have become very afraid of death.  I can't sleep at night thinking I might have an anurism or something and never wake up, death is just always in my mind, and I'm just afraid.  Nobody knows how bad it is, because I think nobody would really understand me and think I'm silly.  It has really become a big issue and a big part of my life.  Don't know what to do...

December 14, 2005, 1:09 pm CST

Fears and Phobias

Quote From: lizard928

Hello, this is my first time here.  I'm a 29 year old single mother of 2 and for the most part I love my life, but I do have a great fear of being ill and/or dying...I know there are many who are probably scared of the same thing (s), but I think mine goes a little too far..and I think it comes from me being diognosed and misdiagnosed with so many things.  When I was new born I was about to dye(don't know what exactly was wrong with me, I have a thyroid problem, I've had pre-cancerous cells, I was told my daughter was going to have down syndrome (thank God that was a misdiagnose), I was told I might have cancer in my thyroid (misdiagnosed), I have a mitrovalve (heart condition but not serious) and most recently I HAD a brain tumor, but thank GOD it dissapeared with prayer and faith.  So all this has caused a great fear of me going to a doctor.  Now every time I have any type of pain my mind goes wild and I just don't want to go to a doctor anymore.  I don't want to know what's wrong with me anymore.  Its become really bad because I have become very afraid of death.  I can't sleep at night thinking I might have an anurism or something and never wake up, death is just always in my mind, and I'm just afraid.  Nobody knows how bad it is, because I think nobody would really understand me and think I'm silly.  It has really become a big issue and a big part of my life.  Don't know what to do...
Hey I totally understand where your coming from.  After all you've been through I'm not surprised that your frightened about dying.  I too have some of the same fears, mine is opposite though, I'm a hypochondriac.  Every time I think about having ananurism or heart attack I just take a deep breath and try to distract myself with something like watching "Friends" or some kind of comedy on dvd.  If I loose a little sleep but finally get there with a little less anxiety then I'll sleep a lot better.  I hope it gets better for you.  Angie 

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last