Message Boards

Topic : Fears, Phobias and Anxiety Disorders

Number of Replies: 784
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:58:51 am
Author : dataimport
Do you have an irrational fear of flying, spiders, leaving your home, or one of a host of other fears? Do you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks? You're not alone. Join those who understand as we struggle to overcome our fears.

Anxiety Disorder Resources

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 8, 2009, 7:17 pm CDT

Fears, Phobias and Anxiety Disorders

Quote From: diamondca

I am a 57 year old agoraphobic, diabetic,  parasite trapped in my home with no social life.

I feel helpless & hopeless. I have a loveless, sexless marriage with no friends, family, or

children & a shrink that I've been seeing for over 26 years & is no longer productive for me.

He misses phone appointments (without a call from his receptionist), talks about his problems

and has ADHD so he's usually not paying attention to my needs when I talk. He also no longer

offers positive suggestions or direction. My abusive parents passed away about a year ago.

My best friends who gave me a precious gift (teaching me sign language & accepting me

as I am) passed away just a few months before my parents. I am not dealing well with these

and other grief/loss issues.

It seems that I have been in this deteriorating state for a very long time. The pain is relentless & never ending. I am living my childhood nightmares and suffer extensively from loneliness & isolation. I've been told that I have to stay alive but are never told what I am supposed to be living for. 

Is my life over already?

Live for you.   Your grief and loss are real, and you need to find coping mechanisms for this.  I really think that finding a new psychiatrist, who is focused on helping patients and not whinging about himself. This will help you a lot.  I suggest a female.  Your life is far from over, it is just hard.  Hang in there, the sun will shine.

June 10, 2009, 3:27 am CDT

I completely understand your pain!

Quote From: juggalette_

Im 18 years of age and ever since I was a child everybody thought I was quiet and shy. I've realized now that i've gotten older I have very bad anxiety. Its soo bad that when I am with people I know or out with my boyfriend and everybody else is talking and haveing a good time im just sitting there basicly not saying anything. I worry a lot about things, people talking about me, If people are gunna like me, what IF? I say something stupid. I dont make friends easily, im quit withdrawn and dont know anybody at my school what so ever. I've been with my boyfriend for over a year and a lot of times I have a hard time trying to come up with a conversation. I guess im just sick of beeing "the odd ball" and I do want to be social and be, maybe not the life of the party but I do want to be talkative and you know.. be normal. But the thoughts I get in my head or just the feelings from the anxiety just seem to overpower my logic.

HELP!

I completely understand where you are coming from.. When reading this I saw myself.. Like you, my family always just thought I was shy and quiet, but at the age of 16 I started having panic attacks (didn't know that is what they were) and when I would explain them to people they thought I was making it up to get out of doing things or that I was just lazy.. this is a progressive illness if you don't recieve counseling.. I at the age of 18 went to work in a nursing home for 5 years at 23 I moved out of state away from all my family to be with a man.. I got a job in a hospital and began again having panic attacks everytime I left my home.. it eventually became that I had called into work sick with these attacks so many times that they had to let me go, after that I began making excuse after excuse after excuse to not have to leave the house.. I no longer went out with my friends cause I would get a panic attack and make a fool of myself.. I lost my boyfriend cause I couldn't go out and it upset him.. I am now 26 years old and had to come and live with my grandparents, because I am completely unable to leave my house (especially not alone) I have been here 6 months and have left the house approx 5 times.. it is a very lonely exsistance.. I have  no friends and no one to talk to.. my best friend lives 8 hours away and she does her best to call and let me know I am loved.. my other friends keep in touch over the internet and some still do try to invite me places, but I can never go cause there is always that thought of what if something bad happens, what if I have a panic attack and make a fool of myself, what if I get somewhere and something happens and I can't get away or get out?  Please honey I didn't get help (tried but by the time I tried I couldn't even leave my house to go to the counsoulers office) get help right now, before you end up where I am.. Find a counselor who will work with you.. try anything or any method they ask of you.. fight this!! I wish I would of!

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope that you find happiness and peace..

July 9, 2009, 1:00 pm CDT

Since 7 worried about Mom's death

Ever since I was 7 years old I was afraid of my Mom dying.  I even ate the same food as her because I thought she would die of food poiseing when I was little.  I still worry about that today.  I have OCD, PTSD, Social Phobia, panic disorder and GAD.  Heck I even worry about my own death even thought I wll have eternal life in heaven.  Stupid isn't it?

July 10, 2009, 10:46 am CDT

Contradiction

I am a contradiction. No matter what it is, every detail about me goes against another detail. Because of this, I'm unable to ever make heads or tails of anything, and yet at the same time it's easy for me to make sense of any situation I'm faced with. I'm cold, calculating, and distant, but at the same time I also know myself to be light hearted and strong in my own emotions. Every waking moment is filled with constant turmoil because of this confusion, both emotional and physical, that always haunts me. Even my very existence is a contradiction. I am someone who should've never been born, and yet I'm very much alive healthy. I am also someone who wishes to be dead, but despite that fact that I crave that state with every fiber of my being, I am unable to bring myself to that condition. Not because I am afraid of death, but because I am unable to consciously cause myself harm for fear of that pain. I have always been able to see the possible outcomes of every situation and most of the time, I am able to steer the situation in the direction that most appeals to me. However, whenever I look towards my own future the only possibility I am sure of, or can even see is that I will one day be responsible for my own death. It's so strange, I have always been someone likely to succeed, to have the challenges of life come easily to me. Despite that, I am the one unable to find my own accomplishments on the path I'm stuck following. I have always been anti-social, an introvert at heart, yet I find myself surrounded by many people I somehow made to be my friends. Strangest of all, I have thought this way since before I reached an age consisting of two digits. I used to tell myself I was crazy, under the knowledge that the truly insane are always unaware of their status, and I would acknowledge I was crazy as a way of protecting myself from that fate. Now, when I wonder if all of these contradictory thoughts occur because I am crazy, for a brief second I become fearful and tell myself it's not possible. When I catch myself thinking that, I force myself to be logical again and acknowledge that I must be crazy so that I won't be. Please, if nothing else, can someone confirm these thoughts for me. I feel as though my own mind is just a realm of chaos in which my inner self is hopelessly and helplessly searching for some sort of solid state.

First | Prev | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | Next Page | Last Page