Message Boards

Topic : Fears, Phobias and Anxiety Disorders

Number of Replies: 784
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:58:51 am
Author : dataimport
Do you have an irrational fear of flying, spiders, leaving your home, or one of a host of other fears? Do you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks? You're not alone. Join those who understand as we struggle to overcome our fears.

Anxiety Disorder Resources

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 8, 2005, 4:05 pm CDT

There is hope!

Quote From: vanalavue

1.    this psych i have now says i am in need of a 10K LUX box for this winter. I had been unable to be reach this last winter, for the withdraws and coping skills weren't there for me; frustrated & distraught was all i had to offer. the 2 hours at my brothers house at x-mass i was in complete silence, and other parties i went to, people kept asking me if i were alright. its embarrassing.... granted the sun came out and i find i can actually post a message now for the first time since last year. I haven't been able to read my e-mail for months. work ha ha although i start a new job come sept. and taking care of myself, well it a challenge. I have very little contact with people and my counselor, well i fake it most the time. i think if I'm going to keep this job i will get the 10K LUX box, or I'll have a repeat of last year. any thoughts of how 10K LUX boxes work for others?/???? 

Hi,   

Have a look at the various postings I have put up.  My user name is pinetree.  The bad news is that you have a self induced illness brought on by a lot of negative false perceptions.  The good new is that you can cure yourself with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).  Have faith, you can do it!  

Pat  

September 10, 2005, 5:59 pm CDT

no title

Quote From: ilovetheoc

This is the most stupid phobia, and i can't believe i have it. Ever since i can remember i've been scared to leave home for the night. I have never been to a sleepover because everytime i've been invited to a sleepover i would get panic attacks and get so sick that i would throw up. I'm 15 years old now and still haven't left home for the night, i can't stop think about what i'm going to do when it is time for me to leave for college and i have to move out of the house ? i'm so confussed and scared that i'll never be able to leave the house. I've gotten so worried about it that i've become depressed and have trouble sleeping and haven't been properly (lost 7 pounds in 3 weeks and haven't lifted a weight) i don't know what to do ??? 

Hello! I'm just writing to say that I think I know how you feel. I've had panic attacks since i was 8, now im almost 18. When I was little I never slept over at anyones house either and even though i was never physically sick i always felt like i was going to. I missed out on alot of things because of my anxiety. I was put on medication when i was 8 and the panic attacks decreased significantly, but whenever i would try to get off the medication they would come back. Finally like two years ago I got off the medication. It was really hard, but i did it. I learned that like usually when you're panicking, it's not about something that is actually harmful to you. You have to look at whats actually there, and whats actually happening. Even though your body is throwing you for a loop you have to be there mentally. You have to help yourself overcome your fears.  

September 12, 2005, 5:42 pm CDT

anxiety and stuff

I have been trying to figure out a whole lot about myself in the past few months since I almost lost it, I've come up with a few things I think I'm dealing with: social phobia, specific Phobia's (dark, cemicals, diseases)  obsessions and well a general state of anxiety each day.  I work full time but my thoughts wonder all over the place, I have attackes in meeting and when I'm put on the spote infront of people.  I have a 3 year old who when is scared at night needs me and I'm just as scard myself??? I have slept with my own night light for 5 years.  I become paralized in fear feeling like someone is there with me.  I feel like I'll sufficate if I don't turn the light on.  I don't talk about the disease topic...  it just freaks me out. 

I try to talk to a social worker but hey I have a social phobia so I just clam up and smile and nod like I'm o.k but really I'm just screaming inside.  Now I am only going like once a month which does nothing but what can I say?? I don't feel like I'm getting any help to deal with this stuff but I gess I'm realizing it is just up to me.... I am reading a anxiety book but I don't feel confident that this is enough.  I wish I could just shake this off.... 

I don't know if a medication would help me but I do feel like I need to take the level down at least a notch I'm starting to think of quiting my job because of the stress and exostion it causes me just to get in there is alot.  I don't want to make anything worst. 

any advice?? 

September 20, 2005, 7:10 am CDT

Fears and Phobias

Quote From: forgeting

I have been trying to figure out a whole lot about myself in the past few months since I almost lost it, I've come up with a few things I think I'm dealing with: social phobia, specific Phobia's (dark, cemicals, diseases)  obsessions and well a general state of anxiety each day.  I work full time but my thoughts wonder all over the place, I have attackes in meeting and when I'm put on the spote infront of people.  I have a 3 year old who when is scared at night needs me and I'm just as scard myself??? I have slept with my own night light for 5 years.  I become paralized in fear feeling like someone is there with me.  I feel like I'll sufficate if I don't turn the light on.  I don't talk about the disease topic...  it just freaks me out. 

I try to talk to a social worker but hey I have a social phobia so I just clam up and smile and nod like I'm o.k but really I'm just screaming inside.  Now I am only going like once a month which does nothing but what can I say?? I don't feel like I'm getting any help to deal with this stuff but I gess I'm realizing it is just up to me.... I am reading a anxiety book but I don't feel confident that this is enough.  I wish I could just shake this off.... 

I don't know if a medication would help me but I do feel like I need to take the level down at least a notch I'm starting to think of quiting my job because of the stress and exostion it causes me just to get in there is alot.  I don't want to make anything worst. 

any advice?? 

I understand about being affraid of the dark. I was really affraid for many years.  What I did was, I had to keep reminding myself that I was okay. And that there was nothing out there.  I actually watch horror flicks now just to keep my mind straight that  life isn't like "Nightmare on Elm Street" or "Friday the 13th".  I too kept a nightlight AND the door open for years.  I would go places with friends at night, their kids would get scarred and then they would get mad at me because I was just as scarred as them.  They said I was a bad influence. I am talking about just a few years ago and I am 43 yrs.old. So I understand. I have been there. But you have to keep telling yourself that you are okay, the Lord will protect you and put yourself in positive situations.  Don't go in  a dark alley around midnight.  Take Care   Liz

September 21, 2005, 8:47 pm CDT

I Can't Do It THINKING

Hi all,  

I thought I would post another condensation of a handout from Dr. Richards tape series for people suffering from anxiety (phobia). 

"I  Can't Do It "   Thinking 

Regardless of how I feel, I don't ever want to use the  " I can't do this " explanation.  

Remeber that my brain hears and responds to every word that I feed it. 

Therefore, if I say, " I can't " my brain believes this statement even if it is FALSE. 

My brain picks these statements up, and sure enough, I CAN'T do these things because I've  

programmed it into my mind over and over again.    

In reality, I have lost NONE of my former abilities, what I could do in the past, I can also do  

now.  

For more info. on anxiety disoders e-mail : rowdens@ shaw.ca 

September 24, 2005, 7:03 am CDT

Why doctors don't recommend CBT ?

Hi all, 

There are several logical reasons why most doctors DON'T mention that CBT is the way to cure yourself of an anxiety disorder."  

Here are two.  

1.  Doctors have little or no training in treating anxiety disorders.  Doctors are down on things they are not up on.  Why would doctors recommend something that they know little about?  

2.  Doctors are forced to memorize reams of information to get through the curriculum in teaching hospitals and universities.  Drug companies donate millions of dollars to support these institutions.  As a result they have great influence on what the curriculum looks like.  It is not surprising that the curriculum prmotes the management of anxiety disorders.  Students that question  this are often labeled as renagade or troublemakers.  Students quickly learn to absorb dogma without question is the best approach to succeed in their medical training.   

Pat 

September 28, 2005, 12:47 pm CDT

Fears and Phobias

I was diagnosed with pseudoepilepsy due to panic disorder about a year ago. I can't even go out to the grocery store because I may get a panic attack. They come whenever they feel like it, I don't have to be doing anything and I may get one. Has anyone with this tried to get SSI? Is it possible to win an SSI case with this diagnosis. I have been trying to get SSI before I even knew that I get panic attacks.

October 11, 2005, 1:39 pm CDT

Dentist Fear

Hello all, 

I'm brand new here and look forward to being a part of this supportive network of kind folks!  I suffer from a variety of physical and emotional ailments -- including depression and anxiety.  In the coming weeks, I will need to have major dental work done, including oral surgery and several root canals.  I'm paralyzed with fear, to the point of not being able to sleep or function at work.   

Anybody out there understand and have any tips to get through this? 

Thanks in advance. 

October 12, 2005, 7:32 am CDT

Fears and Phobias

im very scared of airplanes since the sept.11,thing and now if i even see a plane i get the chills.is that a bad thing because my mom and i argue everyday over when we go out of town should we take a plane amd i say no so we start to argue is that good?

October 12, 2005, 6:11 pm CDT

Anxiety , work , parents and chronic illness

I am currently experiencing problems with anxiety at work because I still live with my parents. I also have a chonic illness which probably have some effect on the anxiety I am experiencing also.  I never feel that I 'fit in'. I have a hard time trusting people and opening up to them.  I rarely tell coworkers anything about my personal life.  I wish the anxiety would stop. If I could just open up more to people them things would get better.  

My parents are overprotective and critical of me, partially because of my illness.  I can't stand the fact of someone at work criticising me or judging me or even worse rejecting me. I fear criticism and rejection so much that I do not open up to coworkers.  I often wonder if there is hope for me. A chance to get away from the criticism and the rejection....someone to replace the criticism with praise and the rejection with acceptance.   

This has really ruined my self esteem and its really hard for me to feel good about myself on a day to day basis. I feel like I cannot go on like this anymore. I have to fix the problem.  

Is there anyone out there who has had this similar problem? 

If so I would love to hear from you, feel free to email me at della_anne@yahoo.com 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last