Message Boards

Topic : How Childhood Abuse Still Affects Me

Number of Replies: 1367
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:00:06 am
Author : dataimport
Are you an abuse survivor? How do you cope? Share your story.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 25, 2005, 2:48 am CDT

ta for your kind words

Quote From: tammyo1973

What powerful words you write. 

I just wanted to let you know that. 

As for myself I think life is not a choice. I think it is all mapped out way before we enter Earth. 

Tammy 

Thank you tammy, i do think life is choice but also, some what pre-ordained, choice will be responsable for where we/you end up.

August 26, 2005, 11:18 am CDT

How Childhood Abuse Still Affects Me

This is my post from another where the sunbject of minimizing abuse was brought up. I am not sure if that board is for me. I went there when I had questions about my daughter who was abused by my X husband. Anyhow thought I would post here instead since my abuse was different form hers. 

Thanks for all who read 

I think I am a minimizer too.  

I look at what has happened to others and think I am rediculous for even saying what happened to me.  

Also I never though of myself as abused until I started learning more because of my daughters abuse.  

So I guess I have been in denial for my whole life.   

And a question... I really cannot remember my childhood. Is that because of the abuse? I remember bits and pieces, everytime I was hit and every name I was called. But if someone asked me what color my bike was I have no clue.  

If I see a picture or hear a story I feel like I remember then I question wondering if I think I remember because I see a picture or someone tells me?  

Is this normal when you are abused? Or is this normal even if you are not?  

Tammy  

August 28, 2005, 11:14 am CDT

Tammy...

Quote From: tammyo1973

This is my post from another where the sunbject of minimizing abuse was brought up. I am not sure if that board is for me. I went there when I had questions about my daughter who was abused by my X husband. Anyhow thought I would post here instead since my abuse was different form hers. 

Thanks for all who read 

I think I am a minimizer too.  

I look at what has happened to others and think I am rediculous for even saying what happened to me.  

Also I never though of myself as abused until I started learning more because of my daughters abuse.  

So I guess I have been in denial for my whole life.   

And a question... I really cannot remember my childhood. Is that because of the abuse? I remember bits and pieces, everytime I was hit and every name I was called. But if someone asked me what color my bike was I have no clue.  

If I see a picture or hear a story I feel like I remember then I question wondering if I think I remember because I see a picture or someone tells me?  

Is this normal when you are abused? Or is this normal even if you are not?  

Tammy  

I think I already answered my opinion on this on the board you were refering to and your abuse is just significant as anyone elses. Minimizing the abuse is classic though. I do that myself. I told my therapist that it was no big deal and she said, "Bologna!" It was kind of a shock to hear someone to call me on it. 

Repressed memories are also classic of child abuse. Before I started Therapy I only had a handful of memories. I have to work on recovering them so they are not working behind the scenes controlling my feelings without me knowing what they are doing. It is not easy and I still have a long way to go but what you are going through is pretty normal. 

August 28, 2005, 1:04 pm CDT

Tammy V

I agree with Melissa. Hun, abuse is abuse, ok?? ((Hugs)) 

With my way of thinking, Your abuse is no less than the abuse I suffered. 

If it hurts.... It all hurts the same sweetie.  

I hope this made some sense.  ((Hugs)) 

Tammy Jo   

August 28, 2005, 1:18 pm CDT

Tammy Jo and Melissa

Thank you both for the input. 

I am going to make a ME therapy appointment. For the last two years pretty much every time I have gone to therapy it ends up being what to do about EMily appointment and meanwhile I am thinking I need to get involved in ME more. 

I thank both of you for your support. 

Tammy V 

August 30, 2005, 1:54 pm CDT

Quote From: labelfree

Where are you from?
Missouri

August 30, 2005, 1:55 pm CDT

Quote From: beachsmile

If you share usually at least one poster listens...often more. How are you today? How has your child abuse shaped who you are? Share as much or as little as you want to... Remember we aren't experts so replies from experience or things we have learned observing...pretty much like you. What have you learned? SELF MATTERS includes you... Hugs and prayers, SEA

GOD PLEASE REPLY

If ever you reach out in word
And feel like no one heard
To me each poem that I see
Are like prayers rising up to Thee

After you left with all your tears
Combined with all your haunting fears
People stopped to read words you left
Sending prayers for you to be blessed

Parting prayers prayed to help you some
So you feel uplifted when here you come
And when no one knows what to say
Now and then know for you many pray

Thus if after you bare your soul
You feel no one heard... not one soul
I wanted you to know I stopped by
Said a prayer for you signed please reply

Thank you for replying. 

I might take your advice. 

I'm still figuring out how this site works. 

August 31, 2005, 12:41 am CDT

perserverance

Fifty seven years past, my memory still clear. 

The voice that connected me and dispelled so much fear. 

I unwisely in hindsight dod not always hear. 

Educated by fear my lfe my path life lessons unclear. 

But I survived I had adventure I worked hard played late. 

I fought against anger but turned away hate. 

I found what I'd searched for on a blind date. 

I was thirty five years old at last I'd met my mate. 

I often wonder was it fate. 

Composed by me Bill Dempster 

August 31, 2005, 2:31 am CDT

I am here.....

Quote From: bluegreen5

Missouri
But this a.m. I am off to the big NYC  shhhhh I am excited!  going to do a show ABC PRIMETIME on perception they came up to me right on the street can you believe that?  Last week it was Dr. Phil's kick off on in Time square now this week PRIMETIME in ABC studios I am like all gushie and excited inside my sister said she has never seen me this happy!  This is weird for me because truly for my whole life this emotion is truly truly never been "tapped into if you can believe this..." so its strange and exciting so later I will fill you in okay just like the depression board....but I have to sqadoodle now  xoxox 

September 1, 2005, 6:53 pm CDT

I am new

I am coming here because I was sexually abused as a child.  I am now dealing with this openly and receiving help.  I use No_Name because I want to remain anonymous for obvious reasons.     

I am hoping that I can come here and get some support while dealing with this in my life.     

Sincerely,    

No_Name   

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last