Message Boards

Topic : Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Number of Replies: 228
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:00:55 am
Author : dataimport
Patients suffering from OCD have a challenge in overcoming their illness. Share your story and get support from those who understand.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 12, 2007, 6:17 pm CDT

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

AM I using this board correctly?  I am not good at this stuff?  People don't write me back so I wonder?

May 14, 2007, 4:11 am CDT

Yes you are...

Quote From: crazymabe

AM I using this board correctly?  I am not good at this stuff?  People don't write me back so I wonder?

Hello

You are using the board right, I just don't know what to reply.
I getthe cleaning stuff etc even if I am a packrat so some times.
But I don'treally pick but I do pick some times... I don't  answer back because  Ijust have no words at that time...

Eclaire 

PS sorry if errors spelling check  not working this morning on my puter.

May 14, 2007, 10:57 am CDT

Quote From: tgilberg1

My OCD habits are barely uner control.

I have a problem with cleaning, numbers, and perfection.

I like everything to be neat and orderly, in exact dimensions.  I could almost be compared to MONK!!

I count everything!!

I mean everything.

I count the number of letters in words in a sentence, I count lines on the highway, I add up license plate numbers, I count the number of times I blink everyday, I count the words in commercials.

It was developed as a coping mechanism as a child and is always under the surface waiting to take over my life.

I even count how many times I run the toothbrush over my teeth,  how many steps I walk, etc.

Obsession is a major problem in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have many other obsessions.  Everything becomes an obsession with me.  I just want help to deal with it and other probelems.

My Ocd is very similar to yours I also count letter's in each word's have something about words with twelve or fifteen letters in them don't ask me why,I have odd and even days,the time's of the day also mean something on odd and even days.I overanalyze badly over things,go over and over thing's in my head repetitively,seem to be very indecisive,have problems with money at times when I've spent it feel I've wasted it for whatever reason.

I also have Bio dismorphic disorder so my Ocd clashes together with that and my Bi Polar,I write list's everyday have huge list's written in my wallet and in my room.I hoard so many thing's I just can't throw magazines out,want to tape so many shows even at one time I was taping all the news broadcasts or most of them on the free to air channels.

May 16, 2007, 6:29 pm CDT

I have a number of mental health diagnosis.  I have OCD.  I want to know if this causes anyone else to dream all the time. (mostly scary stuff)  I never get real sleep and I am always so tired.  Another thing is (this sounds crazy) when I drive I think oh my I think I ran somebody over.  I didn't but it is just an OCD thing.  Is there anyone else like this and what medications may help me?  Thanx
Hello my name is Melissa and I have OCD, but it is kind of under control right now.  I would suggest taking prozac with abilify.  I don't pick at my skin anymore and I can control things more.

May 16, 2007, 7:59 pm CDT

Quote From: priss292007

Hello my name is Melissa and I have OCD, but it is kind of under control right now.  I would suggest taking prozac with abilify.  I don't pick at my skin anymore and I can control things more.
prozac makes me hyper!  I can't remember what abilify is but I know I have tried it! Thank You!

May 17, 2007, 5:04 am CDT

Medications

prozac makes me hyper!  I can't remember what abilify is but I know I have tried it! Thank You!
Hello,

There is many medications out there only a doctor can suggest any one of them. I have been on a few over the years (Paxil,Zoloft, Wellburin, Effexor...) most of the time for at less a year  to  more each one work for the time they did" Then I got use to them so with my doc we changed my meds. I finally found a combination I like the best it is a natural product and my doc is fine with me using it instead of the chemical meds. They actually cost me about the same monthly.

I think it is up to each of us to talk to our doctors therapist etc to help find the one combination that works for us and remember that our system can get use to a combination and then change is needed.

Eclaire

June 19, 2007, 7:40 pm CDT

OCD

My father is 52 years old and has obsessive compulsive disorder severely.  He denies everything and when addressed about his rituals he becomes upset at the person who addresses it.  He will never ever go to get help no matter who or what the situation.  What can I do to help this problem because our  family is going crazy and he is the main cause? He will not see a pychiatrist so what are the other options we have?

July 7, 2007, 3:17 pm CDT

Good News for once!

Quote From: lyttleone

You are welcome, I hope that  the links I gave you it the post after my reply helps you find family support etc. I glad you feel you can chat with us here.

Kissing doorknobs is diffinately a good book I actually posted about it a week  or two ago. My oldest son is reading it part of his English class. His teacher suffers from OCD. Hope your Scott can read the book too he might just understand some of his condition and see that there is hope.

Yes finding help for hoarding is very hard if I had OCD of washing hands etc. it would be recognize more. Being a pack rat is harder I feel because here in Quebec they have some understanding of this if you are elderly but younger ones like me well... The help I found  was by participating to a reasearch study and even that is hard because they use exemple base on kissing doorknobs type of OCD. It makes it hard to relate to someone doing repeative compulsion.

Anyway, any time you want just post me a message I will answer.
Take care
Eclaire

Scott has finally been given a statement of special educational needs, at the age of 16! but although it has come quite late on at least it will allow him to finally access the education system with help. He has decided to do a sports course, this is equivalent to to A' levels in England, which he will need if he wants to go on to university.

He also takes Basparin now which helps with anxiety and panic attacks, finally the cloud seems to be lifting. I hope you are well? take care,

wills xxx 

July 7, 2007, 3:26 pm CDT

Ur Dads not crazy, he's distressed.

Quote From: crazydad22

My father is 52 years old and has obsessive compulsive disorder severely.  He denies everything and when addressed about his rituals he becomes upset at the person who addresses it.  He will never ever go to get help no matter who or what the situation.  What can I do to help this problem because our  family is going crazy and he is the main cause? He will not see a pychiatrist so what are the other options we have?

My son is 16 years old. Your Dad is 52, and he must have been living with this nightmare for quite sometime now? Scott understands that everything he does makes him look crazy, I'm sure your dad does too. The problem is that they have little or no control over how they react to situations, if their stress levels are high then they believe that the only way to deal with this is by going through their rituals. Believe me I understand where you are coming from, but you must also try to understand how your dad feels.

I do not know if you have read the book ' LICKING DOORKNOBS' ? but this will help you to understand, and also you dad should read it.

My son takes 8 tablets a day, they help him BUT the only way that your dad will ever learn to take charge of his OCD is if he does go and see a psychologist, like DR PHIL, this will give him coping strategies and take each day as it comes.

This is a debilitating disease, your dad is certainly not mad, he needs your constant support even though it drives you mad,

Take care, be strong, wills 

July 10, 2007, 5:31 am CDT

Good news is right

Quote From: wills1966

Scott has finally been given a statement of special educational needs, at the age of 16! but although it has come quite late on at least it will allow him to finally access the education system with help. He has decided to do a sports course, this is equivalent to to A' levels in England, which he will need if he wants to go on to university.

He also takes Basparin now which helps with anxiety and panic attacks, finally the cloud seems to be lifting. I hope you are well? take care,

wills xxx 

I am glad your son is finally getting help this is a great adventure for him and that family. Also it will be opening up roads he though he could never take....

Glad to hear from  you, I am doing so so today but thats OK...I finish the therapy but lately I forgetting to continue working on the house etc...I will look at these issues to see why...

Eclaire

First | Prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next | Last