Message Boards

Topic : Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Number of Replies: 228
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:00:55 am
Author : dataimport
Patients suffering from OCD have a challenge in overcoming their illness. Share your story and get support from those who understand.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 12, 2008, 1:44 am CDT

my baby sister.

Hi everyone!

I'm new and joined in regards to my 12 year old sister who has been diagnosed disabled with OCD.

She gets uncontrollably worried or stressed it seems over things picking out clothes for school she starts to pull her eyebrows and eyelashes out and when those are gone she bites her fingernails down to nothing - until she just shuts down completely and nothing you say can do anything. Medications aren't working, instead it seems like they just add new ones to her collection disregarding the side effects they have on her and it's been this way for a few years now.

Does anyone know of a summer camp program for young kids suffering? I've looked but can only find ones for ADD and ADHD. She's 12, she doesn't understand adult issues she only knows as she says "I'm not normal" so I was hoping a camp targeted towards children and preteens would help her figure out a way to deal with her stress and help her achieve a normal lifestyle.

I understand that there is no overnight cure, but I haven't given up on my baby sister. I'm desperate, so any advice would help.

Thanks guys!

April 6, 2008, 9:22 am CDT

I also need assistance on how to live with OCD spouse

Quote From: glorious

Who refuses to help them self? 

I am living with a family member that has been diagnosed with major depression and OCD, this person refuses to accept help or even seek help, but then expects everyone to literally walk on egg shells, accept their verbal attacks on us since they refuse to be medicated  and we have to be VERY careful of everything we say and do.  It is utterly exhausting.  I am completely, mentally, emotionally and physically tired from how over sensitive this person is and how they are refusing to get the help they so desperately need. 

Is there anything that I can do to assist them in getting the very much needed help they require? 

Thanks. 

He is taking meds, but is also a hoarder and takes to long to do things including  looking for work. We are in a tough space.
Thanks.

April 9, 2008, 1:16 pm CDT

Moms with OCD

Does anyone know of a support group or website that supports Moms with OCD?  I'd love to chat, with other Moms, because I am a new Mom.  My daughter is 3 months old, and I thought I had my OCD under control... until she was born.  All of the hormonal changes and lifestyle changes caused my OCD to go whacky.  I've had OCD since I was 16 years old, and it has taken many forms - mostly the cleaning and wiping form.  Although, lately, I have turned into an Obsessive Compulsive Shopper, and I am constantly afraid that we will run out of wipes, diapers, onesies, etc.  I've been spendind A LOT of money and causing our small apartment to be filled with junk.  I am also afraid that I will cause her to develop bad habits... diaper changes are stressful for me, and I usually end up wiping her down, and writing down a huge list of obsessive thoughts that bother me...  again, are there any other moms that experience these issues???  HELP!

June 5, 2008, 10:43 am CDT

it's torture

I'm a 47 year old housewife and my OCD runs my life.  My problem with OCD manifests itself as a fear of germs and cross-contamination.  I've been trying different meds, psychotherapy, different Dr.'s and have recently written to Dr. Phil.  Sometimes I feel like I just can't live like this anymore.

Things in my house have different degrees of 'germiness' so I have to perform different tasks at once in order to touch things in their order of cleanliness.  When my hands are clean I have to use a tissue or paper napkin to touch unclean things.  Needless to say, it takes me forever to get anything done.

It's driving my husband and I crazy.  I so need to get over this!  Anyone out there who has recovered from this?

June 10, 2008, 4:15 am CDT

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Quote From: teziscool

Hey guys. I haven't been on in a long time! I've been doing really good. Stopped the cutting and the pulling. But because I have nothing to do I've been really depressed. And thoughts of suicide have been coming stronger.

more later

tez

Don't give up.  I am currently searching for the help I need with my OCD, so I have no answers.   I know it's torture.  But please hang in there.  I pray 'cause I think God's the only one who can help me.  Sometimes I get strength from that.  Maybe that will help you too. 

June 29, 2008, 10:41 pm CDT

Most Bizarre Hoarder...my mom...HELP

Okay, my mom is sleeping in the chair now. She has hoarded so bad that her bed is full, table, couch, etc. My dad said his bed is still clear (they sleep in separate rooms) but I am afraid his will be next. She has seen the shows on hoarders and knows she has a problem but doesn't want anything but "prayers" right now. She said she is just now putting away christmas decorations and all she wants is "our praise" that she's making baby steps.  What can me and my sisters do to get her help?

June 29, 2008, 10:42 pm CDT

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Quote From: carirb

I'm a 47 year old housewife and my OCD runs my life.  My problem with OCD manifests itself as a fear of germs and cross-contamination.  I've been trying different meds, psychotherapy, different Dr.'s and have recently written to Dr. Phil.  Sometimes I feel like I just can't live like this anymore.

Things in my house have different degrees of 'germiness' so I have to perform different tasks at once in order to touch things in their order of cleanliness.  When my hands are clean I have to use a tissue or paper napkin to touch unclean things.  Needless to say, it takes me forever to get anything done.

It's driving my husband and I crazy.  I so need to get over this!  Anyone out there who has recovered from this?

I feel so bad for you. This must be hell on earth! Where you like this when the kids were little?

July 22, 2008, 7:27 am CDT

I recovered from it

Quote From: mamaamia

I feel so bad for you. This must be hell on earth! Where you like this when the kids were little?

It sounds like your OCD is terrible, on the OCD scale it must be about 40, the worst degree of OCD.

But even if it feels like its never going to go away, the good news is that it really can go away! It require a LOT of work and a lot of hours and days of feeling sick and bad, but its all worth it !!

The doctor told me that I had OCD when I was 12 years old, and then I went to see a psychologist 2 times a week for 6 years, I'm now 18 years old and my OCD is gone. During my time at the psychologist I also tried Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for only 3 months and it really changed my life. But it would never had gone so fast loosing all my rituals if I havent gone to the psychologist first.
When I first got OCD I felt tired every evening, I couldnt do that much without feeling tired, I couldnt clean my room because it would take hours with all the rituals and I didnt have much energy left for friends and social acctivities.

But after talking with the psychologist for years and trying the Cognitive behaviour therapy, (which I really can recomment ! ) it all started to go away, and now I have a perfectly normal life. I'm in the last year of High school, I have lots of friends, a boyfriend, a weekend job, I'm working out and I dont feel tired in the evening, well just normally tired after having a streesing day with homework, work and fitness.

And the best part is that I can go through my day without thinking about the OCD, its history, a memory of my childhood. Of course sometimes in really streesing moments a little ritual can appear but then I just think about what I learned: ''Its all in my head, its fantasy, its not real and it cant take over my mind because I know better than that'' and then it goes away again.

So dont loose all hope for the future, if you start doing something against it now it will go away sooner or later, but always remember - you're a lot stronger than the OCD and to stop thinking in a OCD way is 10 times harder than stop smoking I was told but its possible and you deserve to get rid of the damn OCD!

(sorry for any mistakes, but I'm not american, I live in Europe)

July 22, 2008, 7:42 am CDT

Dont give up

Quote From: carirb

Don't give up.  I am currently searching for the help I need with my OCD, so I have no answers.   I know it's torture.  But please hang in there.  I pray 'cause I think God's the only one who can help me.  Sometimes I get strength from that.  Maybe that will help you too. 

Really, dont give up.
I know all about the feeling of being sad and nervous and have the feeling of that it'll never go away.

But it will if you do something about it, its torture - that's correct. it really feels like torture. And the sayings about God being the only one that can help you - its a beautiful thought and stick with it, it can help, but you're going to need more than that. Start seing a psychologist and try Cognitive behaviour therapy when you feel ready for grabbing the OCD by the horns.

I got treatment for my OCD during 6 years and it went away!

But always keep in mind that it takes time, you cant go to bed one evening and wake up the next morning without the OCD, it takes hours, months and even years of hard work and VERY strict self disciplin.

But later you can clap your own shoulder and feel extremely proud of yourself for being stronger than the OCD. And you will get the life quality back, because that's what the OCD does - it takes away life quality.

Suicide is not the answer, you have a beautiful life to live for many many years, and you still have so many wonderful memories to create with your beloved ones. And those wonderful memories can become reality if you tell yourself that you're worth it, that you can manage the work. And you know what? You CAN do it and you ARE worth it, you really truly are!

September 14, 2008, 7:33 pm CDT

is it OCD?

The problem i am having is... well, I just suspect that it's an obssessive compulsive disorder. I act perfectly normal, same as other normal people but thoughts or obsessions are my problems.  I'm not really a neat freak ocd person. I'm not the type who washes hands from time to time. but I do have a lots of habits that may really be too irrational.

I count a lot in my mind, starting from 1 to 9. I don't feel much for even numbers. I usually think of 9 and 7 as my number.

I can't write anything on my notebook, i'm scared I'll mistakenly write a single letter. if I did, I'll surely tear the paper, until I get it perfectly.

I usually follow a certain pattern printed on the tiles, vinyl and carpets whenever I walk. So far, this may have been the weirdest action I may have had but I was able to lessen this habit already.

I prefer sorting things out in a certain order, pattern accoring to color, sizes and shapes. ex. books, pens and journals... there are times that I want everything to be well-organized but there are times that I'm not that particular when it comes to this matter.

And one thing that really bothers me is I may have relationship OCD as well. having unpleasant thoughts towards the people I love the most such as my parents, my siblings and my boyfriend. I thought of harming them but I don't want to do that, literally. Of course, I love them! I didn't mean every unpleasant thing i think about them but I can't really help to think about it. It's just persistently, constantly popping out from my mind.

I usually doubt it if I still love my boyfriend, I usually think that I am falling out of love. I usually imagine how it feels if we would be just friends. Or what if I don't have him in my life anymore? But what's irrational about this is, deep in my heart, I know I do love him. I don't know why I am having these doubts or questions about our relationship. Is it because I'm having a hard time receiving love because of the past issues or resentments in my life? Or is it a symptom of  Relationship OCD?

It's really bothering my relationship with him because of these doubts. Sometimes, I'm loosing my excitement. I feel that I always spoil the chance to enjoy what we have right now because of too much thinking.

I believe these thoughts and behaviour must have come from a certain experience in my life. I really wanted to change. I want me and my boyfriend  to grow together and experience good life together. I want to mature emotionally. I hope I can have a feedback from you. Thank you so much!

First | Prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next | Last