Message Boards

Topic : Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Number of Replies: 228
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:00:55 am
Author : dataimport
Patients suffering from OCD have a challenge in overcoming their illness. Share your story and get support from those who understand.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 31, 2006, 2:12 pm CST

antibiotic therapy

Quote From: ocdsuffer

not that I remember but I did have scarlet Tina which is a form of scarlet fever. I will check into to this. thanks a bunch!
If you are successful in finding something out about this please let me know.  I have been on-line and can't really  find anything.  I saw such an amazing show on Dr. Phil about this, I believe,  9 year old girl.  She was put on this antibiotic therapy and I'm not sure but I think it was a year later the OCD was gone!  I would love that for my daughter and she had strep continuously at age 5.  This is about the time her handwshing etc... started.  I wish somebody at the Dr. Phil show would answer my questions regarding this but as of now still nothing!

April 8, 2006, 9:25 pm CDT

Antibiotic Therapy. Hmm. Interesting.

Quote From: angelsfan

If you are successful in finding something out about this please let me know.  I have been on-line and can't really  find anything.  I saw such an amazing show on Dr. Phil about this, I believe,  9 year old girl.  She was put on this antibiotic therapy and I'm not sure but I think it was a year later the OCD was gone!  I would love that for my daughter and she had strep continuously at age 5.  This is about the time her handwshing etc... started.  I wish somebody at the Dr. Phil show would answer my questions regarding this but as of now still nothing!

Antibiotic's are given by Medical Doctors, not Psychiatrists.  

I can see where if a small child is irritable, like from a recurring and unhealed sore throat, they are going to get into all kinds of problems or trouble.  

Irritation and sore throats are caused by germs, and it makes sense that if you kill the germs with antibiotics or antibiotic therapy, you won't have the sore throat anymore.   

If the child doesn't have the sore throat anymore, subconsciously he/she notice's it sometime, and says, "Hey? What happened?" The sore throat is gone; the irritating behavior due to the sore throat is gone; and the kid is happy.  

This is sickness do to physical illness. Not sickness due to mental illness. A lot of people don't know that if you treat physical illnessess; the related mental illnesses may disappear.  In your example, maybe this took 1 year to notice, so the OCD stopped (the response to the painful sorethroat). 

So contact a medical doctor (M.D.), tell them about the strep throat, and ask and confirm for the administration of antibiotics. Some doctor's don't like to do this because some strep throats don't repsond to antibiotics.  Ask or beg for it anyway. Whatever you get, will help. 

Afterwards, be patient. Some kids take a while to notice that their throat is not sore anymore, and don't know how to respond to it. Especially after 5 years of sickness. 

Besides being trained as a Biologist, I had a sore throat for years. This is where I discovered the effect of SUBCONCIOUS PHYSICAL illness on a person's behavior. The doctors couldn't find anything wrong with me. Finally, in my case, I discovered the problem was not a strep or other kind of sore throat; but a fungus (three things cause illness: Germs, Fungus, Molds--so keep your bathroom clean). I won't tell you how I discovered that, but when I told my M.D. about it, he laughed, and gave me a shot of antibiotics, no questions asked. Dr.'s usually treat germs only. Somewhere along the line they forgot that fungi, and molds cold be suspect too. Double check. That's the point.  

Let me know how it works. 

Rick. 

Biologist. 

April 8, 2006, 10:24 pm CDT

Maybe You're O.K. Maybe you worry too much?

Quote From: tiffyj2002

I am 30 years old and have seen a therapist 2 times over the last 10 years (but I never really liked em' so I quit). I started seeing a new therapist 2 weeks ago (someone I really like). Initially I started going to help get over a 3-year relationship, spending $ and drinking. I knew there was a problem and wanted help to figure out how to deal with life issues. Today in therapy she asked me "do you always twist your hair" and I said "yes...my mom, grandfather and cousin all do". She asked, "what else...do you count.....etc" and ofcourse the answer again was "Yes". When I got  home I googled "OCD" and came to the alarming conclusion that; that is my problem and realized I have probably had it off and on for years! There are so many things I do that I know are nutty but I always thought I was nutty! Recently I have stopped drinking but subsituted smoking more! Which I acknowledge as an obsession. I made a list of everything I do: I don't like change. Everything has to go the same way and when it differs from the norm I feel anxious, I fear losing my boyfriend (which I did) but before I would think he is cheating on me, I like everything to be symmetrical., I count everything constantly, I lock all my doors and re-check em' up to 3 times, I spend a lot of money and put it on my c.c.'s but last spring when the c.c.'s got out of control. I was no longer in control! I always feel in control and I am right. I twist my hair, I constantly check that my cats are in the house when i leave, the oven is off, the heating vents don't have something over them? I don't obsessively clean. I use to but now my house is a mess. I did tear out my carpet last night because it was upsetting me how dirty it was!   I only wish I had gone to a therapist  (one I liked and actually helped me) before  I lost my boyfriend and realized what was wrong with me. I feel a little liberated knowing my thoughts aren't nutty and i am not losing it! I wonder if there is anything I can do at home to work on treating this problem. Unfortunately my therapist wasn't really able to do that....because we didn't go indebth about the issue. I have my next appt. next Monday!

I don't know if any one way is right or wrong, but if you talk to other people that "have your problem", and ask them to share their experiences with you, you may find that you are just growing up at this point, or maybe your are just trying things to see what they are, or maybe you are trying (thinking about) things to see if they are you?  

Like liking things to be symmetrical. I don't know. That might be o.k. But did you ever consider that some things in the world are asymetric? (google for some examples). Or what about earthquakes? They are neither symmetric or asymetric.  Just mixed up, or all over the place. Should they be that way? Probably. That's what earthquakes are--not a blouse you are wearing to dinner. The key is, don't over-do-it.   

When you really think about it, if you are only symmetrical for the rest of your life (one thing), you may never appreciate impressionist paintings, a wild outfit to the awards banquet, or a salad thrown together at the last minute when you are very hungry (you might not have time to cook?). 

So get at least one, two, three, and four opinions on whatever you may be thinking about from others. Older. Younger. Colleagues. Out of Your League. Therapists may be stuffy. People not in the therapy room could be better. Especially if they are healthy or successsul.  

You may find that what you are doing is o.k., not o.k., or maybe that other people do things other ways too that you may not have thought of.  If you limit yourself to your own thinking and ways, that is all you get.   If you consider other people, you may find new possibilites, or ways of doing things that are o.k. too, and may, as a bonus, save your life, or make your life easier.  Hmm. 

O.K. Let's see what you have learned. How many ways can you think of to eat your food? Write them down. O.K. I can think of three. With a fork (American), with chop sticks (Chinese), or with your hands (everybody). See? Smile. 

On your way. 

Rick. 

April 8, 2006, 11:17 pm CDT

Time

Quote From: pekeldet

I am hoping someone can tell me where to look for something to help my husband and daughter. 

He was dx with ocd years ago...the only problem is he refuses to keep on a tx for it long enough to know if it will help.  All of the emotional things going on are way far worse than the physical tendencies!  He is very criical of himself and our 4 girls that are still at home.  One has moved out.  He basically has alienated himself from everyone because of the fact that he is very abusive in the way he talks to everyone.  Nothing is ever good enough, nothing is ever done right, no one will ever hurt as much as he does, no one is ever as sick as he is...you get the idea.  And he hardly sleeps at all...maybe 3-4 hours and that is a good night.  He drinks, and plays pool...not for a couple of hours, but mostly 6-8 in a night.  Not every night, however pool league is a big thing, and that can carry over to a Friday and/or Sat. night.  HOURS!!!  As I understand it, drug/alcohol abuse goes with the compulsions???  If I am wrong, please someone tell me!  I would really like to think that isn't stereotypical of OCD pts. 

In 2002, our daughter was dx with Tourrette Syndrome, OCD and ADD.  She is on Risperdol and Zoloft.  She does quite well while on the meds, however, she is smart and doesn't always seem to "remember" her meds.  I work anywhere from 5:30-8pm to 2:00am--5 days/nights a week.  I am not there to make sure that Emmy gets her meds.  We have 4 girls together...the 16 and 14 year old are not willing to help.  They can be right there and will not help Emmy get her things.  And again, she too is very vocal on what she thinks.  I never help her, I never do anything for her, I never spend any time with her...there are alot of similarities between Emmy and Dad!  (The way they act, the way they talk, etc.)  So I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help them. 

If anyone has suggestions, please let me know...Thank you!   Very frustrated 

Your husband may need time to himself.  Too many responsibilities.  No time to take care of himself; especially when he needs it.  Men are not machines. They are living flesh that need time from personal responsibilities to regroup, recover, repair, de-stress, and refresh. 

Take care of my family; take care of my job; take care of my God; take care of my neighbor. But what about me? 

You may find that a man or husband who is allowed to take care of himself and recover, is happier, and has more strength and mind for the problems of family and daily life, than a man who is not allowed this.  Even General's during war are not always on the front line without resting or recovering.  You know this.  

Your husband may need to do something creative; whatever that is; that's his.  Listening to music, reading, watching T.V. privately sometimes; making sure to eat (I often forget to eat) are some of the things I do to help me rest and recover. 

Importantly, a rested mind produces better solutions and more easily and faster, than a burned out mind.  That's the point, and seems to make sense. So why not rest? 

As far as not sleeping very much at night; that may be o.k.  I have found that while children may need 8 hours of sleep during growing up and finalment of development, adults may not.  The problem may be stress; not sleep. 

When I can't sleep, I just do something constructive, like typing right now (and which rests my mind alot)--plus not worry about not sleeping anymore (since I was about 35).  

I read about this from someone else when I was young, who passed on the thought to me.  Eventually I get tired, and fall asleep. That's the point. 

The brother of Kellogg (maker of the Kellogg's cereals)  I understand, lived to his 80's; and he only slept 4 hours per day 'til the day of his death. So sleep for adults may not be what you think, and may be different than for children. 

As far as your daughter's go, I think they just want to know that they are o.k.  If you give or teach them this, you will give them a great gift for the rest of their life that could come back to you in ways that could be precious.  A person that knows he is o.k. or learns that he is o.k. after time, goes far in this world. 

Hello. 

Rick. 

April 14, 2006, 1:23 pm CDT

very sad,need advice.

I love my husband very much. He is a good man. This is my first time on this website and would appreciate some help on this. My husband has OCD and ADD. This makes me incredibly sad as I type this. I have suggested counseling in the past and he told me I was the one with problems so I should go. When we first got married and these things manifested themselves, I looked the other way or we would chuckle about how people have their quirks. I honestly don't remember these things being so bad. Anyway, over the years(7 to be exact) I alternate between aggravation,anger, or kind of creeped out. Examples: after he closes his sock drawer, he has to touch every drawer in the dresser to make sure they're all closed or I've caught him having to touch everything in the kitchen before he leaves it, another is repeating over and over what he has packed for his lunch the next day. These are only a few examples. The final straw was about 3 wks. ago. We were going to the coast for a day or two (we had reservations). We were to leave within an hour of getting up (our schedule was agreed upon days in advance), anyway 15 minutes before we are to leave, my husband is still in his underwear reading the newspaper downstaires. I had mentioned 30 mins. before that that the shower was free. So here I am, ready, packed and blowing a gasket. He says that well ,he's not going to trip all over himself getting ready. I notice that once something has my husbands attention, forget it. If we're watching t.v. while having supper his food will remain untouched because he is eyes are glued to the screen. I don't dare have it on in the morning because he'd never make it to work on time. Anyway, regarding the vacation, I got so mad that I called and cancelled our reservations and then said, after this if you don't do something about this problem that YOU have, I honestly can't see myself living with you for the next 25-30 years.

April 21, 2006, 7:43 pm CDT

Teen With OCD + Tourettes

I am 15 years old, and ever since i was 3 i had been experiening tics. My parents didnt know what was wrong with me, untill i was 10, when i was diagnosed with tourettes and OCD. I had many problems in school socially, and had lots of trouble making friends, but as soon as i was diagnosed, i was put on medication, and i am still on it today. I have coem a long way with this disorder, but in the end you just have to believe in yourself   :)

May 2, 2006, 2:45 pm CDT

Keep telling yourself it's just the OCD

I am a 46 year old woman who is suffering from a second onset of OCD and Depression after 12 years of success with the drug Zoloft.  I started out on 50 mg. of Zoloft and 6 months ago was raised to 100 mg. and also put on Wellbutrin.  This worked well for the last few months but after going through extensive dental surgery,  I was put on  Hydrocodone for pain for several weeks.  I told myself it was ok, even though I have an addictive, obsessive personality.  But it wasn't ok.  Now I am off the Hydro. and have starting obsessing again and my thought process is out of whack.  I am in therapy, thank goodness and have increased the Zoloft to 150 mg.  Hopefully this will work to get me back on the right track.  Make sure you tell all of your health care providers of any previous problems you may have had.  This might save you from a problem in the future.  Thanks for listening. 

May 4, 2006, 2:34 am CDT

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

I hate having ocd! :( At least I have learned to accept it. Now all I can do now is live with it. I have been living with this disorder sense I was about seven. I was never actually diagnoised. About a year ago I was finially able to admit that I have it. A little while before that I finially was able to put a name to what I was going through, and it was just such a relief. I am glad that I have a good friend that has it, that I understands, and is able to relate to some of it. It is very helpful. She is much better then me because she is on medicane. Which I refuse to take, of any sort. I recommend the book "Kissing Doornobs", and the ocd national foundation, which is where I heard of that book. 

May 8, 2006, 2:20 pm CDT

Compulsive skin picking?

This is just a random question, I know... but anyone here suffer with compulsive skin picking?  (It's a part of my OCD.)

May 9, 2006, 1:33 pm CDT

Plus I Forgot.

Quote From: pekeldet

I am hoping someone can tell me where to look for something to help my husband and daughter. 

He was dx with ocd years ago...the only problem is he refuses to keep on a tx for it long enough to know if it will help.  All of the emotional things going on are way far worse than the physical tendencies!  He is very criical of himself and our 4 girls that are still at home.  One has moved out.  He basically has alienated himself from everyone because of the fact that he is very abusive in the way he talks to everyone.  Nothing is ever good enough, nothing is ever done right, no one will ever hurt as much as he does, no one is ever as sick as he is...you get the idea.  And he hardly sleeps at all...maybe 3-4 hours and that is a good night.  He drinks, and plays pool...not for a couple of hours, but mostly 6-8 in a night.  Not every night, however pool league is a big thing, and that can carry over to a Friday and/or Sat. night.  HOURS!!!  As I understand it, drug/alcohol abuse goes with the compulsions???  If I am wrong, please someone tell me!  I would really like to think that isn't stereotypical of OCD pts. 

In 2002, our daughter was dx with Tourrette Syndrome, OCD and ADD.  She is on Risperdol and Zoloft.  She does quite well while on the meds, however, she is smart and doesn't always seem to "remember" her meds.  I work anywhere from 5:30-8pm to 2:00am--5 days/nights a week.  I am not there to make sure that Emmy gets her meds.  We have 4 girls together...the 16 and 14 year old are not willing to help.  They can be right there and will not help Emmy get her things.  And again, she too is very vocal on what she thinks.  I never help her, I never do anything for her, I never spend any time with her...there are alot of similarities between Emmy and Dad!  (The way they act, the way they talk, etc.)  So I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help them. 

If anyone has suggestions, please let me know...Thank you!   Very frustrated 

Once your husband gets his life together, and it starts working, he will start to sleep better, and more rested. No more insomnia.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last