Message Boards

Topic : Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Number of Replies: 228
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:00:55 am
Author : dataimport
Patients suffering from OCD have a challenge in overcoming their illness. Share your story and get support from those who understand.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 27, 2006, 2:03 pm CDT

Losing it

I was diagnosed with OCD at age 19. Looking back I carried traits all my life. I was told at the time that it was probably in response to things in my liofe being completly out of control which they were and that it gave me something I could control. at the time we experimented and found a medication that was quite helpful my problem is that I had gotten to the point that I had even been able to reduce my meds and funtion fairly decently until four years ago when I went through a "truma" of losing my home and the resulting chaos that followed brought the OCD back full blown and now even upping the dose of the same medication which I now have trouble tolorating is not helping and I have pretty much run out of meds to try either because they have not worked or I can not tolerate them. I am at my wits end becuse I can not get any control over it and even though to some people I am hadling things I  only appear that way because I am a control freak and will not let myself "lose it" in this or any other aspect of my life including allowing myself to cry, be happy etc. How can I continue to live this way I realize it is a complicated disease and that all my past life experiances are playing a role in it but seriously is there any hope.?????? For anyone who may respond to this I do not own A computer so am only online once maybe twice aweek so I am not ignoring your responses I just may not see them for a few days. Help

May 29, 2006, 3:50 am CDT

My husband has OCD

My husband was diagnosed with OCD 12 months ago. Since the diagnosis he has been admitted to hospital three times for varying lengths, at least a month or more. I feel I don't know my husband anymore- where has the dynamic, energetic, fun man gone? He has been replaced with a drugged, trembling barely coping creature.   

The doctors keep saying that he will recover but I have completely lost hope. I am dreading the day he returns home and he sits silently on a chair, unable to do anything else. I dread the day he begins to ask for reassurance that he will be better as I don't feel I can lie to him anymore- I don't believe he will return to the man he was.  

Is there anyone out there who is a partner to someone with OCD? Do you have any positive stories to tell, besides tales of divorce/separation?  

We have a little 18 month old, three teenage step kids. What will happen to our family?  

May 31, 2006, 6:23 am CDT

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

oh how i can relate to this!  i didnt realise it WAS ocd until i watched a programme about this.  i am a checker.  i cannot go to bed without checking and double and triple checking that all electrical stuff is turned off, that the taps arent dripping, and that the front door is locked properly.  this often involves opening and closing it several times. 

my sympathies to other sufferers.  it can be a living hell. 

sama 

May 31, 2006, 6:31 am CDT

checking, checking

i can relate to this so vividly.  i am a checker.  for many years now, i have to check each night that the front door is locked properly, involving opening and closing it several times.  then i go round and ensure that all electrical stuff is switched off, that taps are not dripping, and that the stove is off.  this can involve touching the switches several times to reassure myself that it is truly off. 

i am also very ocd about moving stuff.  it has to be precisely placed, lined up, etc.   

this is a grim disorder, and i sympathise with anyone else who has it. 

sama 

May 31, 2006, 6:38 am CDT

apologies for posting twice!

sorry i posted twice in error.  i didnt think the first message was on the board. 

sama 

June 1, 2006, 6:48 pm CDT

Hi sama

Quote From: sama13

oh how i can relate to this!  i didnt realise it WAS ocd until i watched a programme about this.  i am a checker.  i cannot go to bed without checking and double and triple checking that all electrical stuff is turned off, that the taps arent dripping, and that the front door is locked properly.  this often involves opening and closing it several times. 

my sympathies to other sufferers.  it can be a living hell. 

sama 

Hello, I can relate to the constant checking of the stove, electrical things and the faucets. I am not a big door checker thank goodness. It is bad because I have my child check everything for me because I know I will check and check and check. My child probably thinks I am crazy. I told  them that I don't want this told to anyone because it is private but also told em that I have a problem with this and I am trying to get better.  I am glad someone can relate to this. I guess my biggest fear is fire.  Sometimes I avoid going anywhere because I get nervous and know I have to check everything and recheck.  Ok, I know you all think I am a wacko now. Agh

June 6, 2006, 12:18 pm CDT

kind of a different form of ocd

I don't have the same sort of checking syndrome as those I've seen posted.  (Except to aide myself in my post menapausal life where I continually misplace things and forget)  But behaviorally I see it and was diagnosed as such when I first sought counseling in 1995.  Don't know if there is anyone else out there with the same traits.  I can start cleaning and not stop even though I feel exhausted, not that I'm a clean freak but when helping others.   I get compulsive about habits and stuff, maybe more an addictive personality-type.

June 23, 2006, 8:37 am CDT

To Alex

Hi Alex, 

What did the doctor you went to say? did he diagnosis you? You really need to follow through with your doctor and follow the advice of the professionals. I am not sure what to say but I wish you the best and make sure you follow through with medical help. drop me a message and let me know how you are doing. 

Robin_L 

July 5, 2006, 11:24 am CDT

don't know what to do

It appears as though my husband has ocd.  I knew the symptoms a bit, because that is something that I have had to live with.  I used to count how many times I would stir my coffee, and breathed out when passing people to not breath in their exhale.  I couldn't eat different colored M&M's at the same time, things like that.  I learned that the more I gave in to a new obsession, the worse the obsession would get.  I heard that it was a control issue, and so if  I chose something, like I did, not eating different colored M&M's and exhaling when passing people, then the other obsession just sort of went away.  I accepted a couple and let go of the rest.  I catch myself when I begin to obsess over something, and then I just kick back and forget about the thing I was going over board over.  But, it isn't like that for my husband.  He obsesses over lots of things, currently, he is completely over board for Madonna.  He chats with people all the time about her, and it's the women he chats with that worries me.  He always obsesses over women.    

I know, our marriage is hanging by threads from him flitting from one obsession to another.  He gets mad at me if I tell him he can't have that photo of Madonna or he can't watch that show because it has his fettish on it.  He says "why do you have to be that like this?!"    

If I am to tell him that he has to see a counselor, he won't do it.  He'll say I'm always blaming him.  He hates doctors.  He'll say he hasn't time for us to see one.  AND, he'll lie.  He likes to lie to hide things.  He thinks it cute.  And if I don't think it's cute then I'm therefore a mean person.    

We don't "talk"  we haven't since we got married.  He likes to tickle me.  That's what he figures makes for a good conversation.  I miss the conversations we used to have.  We'd chat online, and over the phone.  He lived over in England, and I in the States.  I suppose I was his obsession at the time.  He came to visit me every 4months staying for a month each time until we were married.  Once we were married, no more long conversations, instead I'd get snide remarks like "I dont' know!"  He went on to another obsession.    

You know what, he now shares his thoughts with his friends, a lot of them women, on the Madonna website.  Instead  of talking about things with me, he talks to them.  Now, he's adopted Madonna's relegion!  He hated relegion before.  He's joined online chat groups to discuss the Kaballa.  

I don't know if today or some other day I should say "we need to talk".  We can't "talk".  He thinks everything is statusquo.  He likes it this way.  When we tried to talk about a budget, we didn't get anywhere.  He said he liked how he did things.  Or as he put it: "I think I'm doing a good job paying the bills" that was all he kept saying over and over and over and over again.  That was as far as we got.  No discussion.  I was calm at first "yes honey, I think you are doing a good job. but lets discuss different things we might do."  reply:  "I think I'm doing a good job paying hte bills" and eventually, after about an hour of this I began ranting "is there something wrong with you?  I already said you were doing a good job paying the bills.  I'm asking what do you think of if we try something else." reply? "Don't insult me.  I think I'm doing a good job paying the bills."    

Don't know how a discussion about us needing counselling would do.  I think I might just skip it.  After all, he's not changed.  He doesn't really care how his obsessions affect me.  Last year, he was obsessed with War Craft and wouldn't even celebrate my birthday.  He played war craft all day and all night.  I sat alone in the other side of the house.    

July 12, 2006, 6:15 am CDT

OCD

I am 18 years old and last  year I was diagnosed with OCD, along with ADD, and OBD. I think I've been addicted to the computer, but I  have been able to logically figure out why. For me, it was because I hated my life and going online, meeting people in chat rooms ect. was a fantasy world, an escape. It was like a drug, it gave me a high, plus I am socially challenged, so I could make friends and not have to actually see someone face to face. I was also obsessed with dying my hair, I do not know where this came from, but I would dye my hair at least once a week, until it basically fell out.  I often feel that my hair is never good enough and it isn't pretty enough. I make myself believe that if I  dye my hair, it will drastically change my appearance and make my life better. It doesn't make any sense at all.  One thing I hate about OCD is the every day quirks.  The small things that drive you crazy, the constant voice in your head that is nagging you, and repeating over and over again. It has a strong hold over you and your life. Its hard to overcome. My OCD is mainly physically related. Like I always have to pluck my eye brows, there cant be a stray hair, I always have to look my best, even when I am just going to the grocery store or taking a walk outside, its challenging and hard to keep up with this kind of lifestyle. I am always looking into mirrors when I pass by , to make sure I look okay. I'm very paranoid. I've also driven myself completely crazy over thoughts about cosmetic surgery, or make up, nails, or tanning. I am doing alot better with my OCD, it is not as severe anymore, it is very mild. Its amazing what psychology can do for you!  

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last