Message Boards

Topic : Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Number of Replies: 228
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:00:55 am
Author : dataimport
Patients suffering from OCD have a challenge in overcoming their illness. Share your story and get support from those who understand.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 25, 2005, 7:44 pm CST

I Think I May Have OCD..

I have never been to any kind of doctor or counselor. In fact, I have only told a hand full of people because I'm afraid of the reaction. I always knew that I was kind of different from my family, but I didn't realize it until I found out about OCD. I am constantly repeating actions, such has looking in the mirror, turning the television off and on, placing object in a specific order or repeating something I just said. I also have constant thoughts of my loved ones getting hurt or killed. Whenever I do I start panicking and try to erase them but it never works. This is seriously about to take its tole on me and I don't know how to help myself. Please someone tell me I'm not crazy and help me on what I should do about this. 

December 7, 2005, 9:06 am CST

Major Depression/OCD

Quote From: glorious

Who refuses to help them self? 

I am living with a family member that has been diagnosed with major depression and OCD, this person refuses to accept help or even seek help, but then expects everyone to literally walk on egg shells, accept their verbal attacks on us since they refuse to be medicated  and we have to be VERY careful of everything we say and do.  It is utterly exhausting.  I am completely, mentally, emotionally and physically tired from how over sensitive this person is and how they are refusing to get the help they so desperately need. 

Is there anything that I can do to assist them in getting the very much needed help they require? 

Thanks. 

First, I would like to say that I suffer (and, yes, it is suffering) from major depression, OCD, borderline personality disorder and other disorders that I am still being diganosed with. Sounds like the person you are referring to may also suffer from borderline personality disorder or some kind of personality disorder. 

Until your family member accepts the fact that he/she has a mental health problem and seeks help, there is nothing you can do other than offer them love. Also, your statement isn't clear if you live with them or they live with you. If you live with them and can't tolerate their disorders, then move. If they live with you and you don't want to make them move, like I said before, offer them love and try to be understanding. Have you done any research on major depression, OCD, or other mental health problems? The internet is full of information and insight on what this person may be going through with their inner self. 

Verbal attacks - been there and done that myself. Many times I have been on the giving end of verbal attacks to not only family members but strangers, co-workers, supervisors ... doesn't matter who it is. I realize the verbal attacks were not necessary but it is something that I can't control. And the worst thing the receiving person could do was say something back. 

A lot of times, people who have depression just want to be left alone - literally, alone. I know I do. When I'm having a bad time with a depression attack, I don't want anyone saying anything to me, don't want to go anywhere and don't want to be around people. And this may not be the case for everyone who has depression. 

Depression of any kind is a complicated disorder. It's hard for doctors to understand, people who don't have a depression disorder to understand and hard for the person who does have depression to understand. 

This may not have helped you any, but if you're wanting to try to help, do some research as I suggested before. 

Good luck and I hope your family member realizes soon they do need help. The quicker they receive the right kind of help, they better they could feel and others around them. 

A last note, medicines don't always work. I take two different anti-depressant medicines a day and still have anxiety attacks, panic attacks, big time depression and it hasn't helped my personality disorder at all. 

December 11, 2005, 9:35 pm CST

There's no hope for me-I wish God would just take me

My name is Jamie & I'm 38, well on Dec. 24th, I'll be 39.  I watch Dr. Phil a lot, but I didn't get to see his show on OCD.  I have e mailed Dr. Phil many times, even his wife Robin.  I believe that if anyone can help me, Dr. Phil & Robin can.  I have OCD, ADHD, severe depression, anxiety & I had one counselor who wasn't sure, but he thought that I may have Bipolar also & if all that isn't enough, I have Fibromyalgia which causes me a lot of pain every single day. I'm no Dr., but it's my understanding that Bipolar is when your moods go way up & then way down for no apparent reason.  Oh, my moods are up & down, up & down, up & down, but I believe my mood swings are because of external things that are happening in my life, such as my ex husband rarely lets me see my 13 yr. old daughter Ashley & my 10 yr. old son Matthew.  I die a little more inside everyday that I don't get to see them.  They are my life.  My family doesn't give me any support.  In fact, my sister told my brother's fiance that I'm crazy & all my mother does is judge me, criticize me & puts me down.  I was abused as a child & I don't have any memories whatsoever of my childhood.  The only memories I have as a child is of the abuse.  I vaguely remember the abuse.  Then I was emotionally/mentally abused by my first & my second husband.   Now, I just got married for a third time on Nov.9th of this yr. & am thinking about divorce already.  I feel I don't deserve any love or to have any nice things or to be happy.  I feel that I'm just a burden to my husband.  I keep telling him to go find someone better.  I feel that I'm ugly, stupid & that I deserve to be alone.  I don't want to be alone, but I can't keep putting my husband through this.  I have caused my husband too much pain already with suicide attempts & withdrawing & isolating from him.  Last summer I fell into a deep depression.  I spent almost 4 months 90% of the time & I would go a month without showering & I hardly ate anything.  I used to care how I looked; as a matter of fact I was obssessed with my looks.  I would never go more than one to one & a half days without showering.  It was almost 4 months before I started coming out of that deep depression & now, I'm falling right back into that deep depression.  Depression is not something you can just "wish away".  Depression is a very complex disorder.  There are many forms of depressions & many different things that can cause depression.  Depression is very difficult for people who don't understand it, such as my husband.   My husband doesn't understand & he doesn't even try to understand.  I don't even know all there is to know about depression, but I do know that it is consuming every aspect of my life.  Many days, I just lay in bed, with the covers over my head & wish that the world would just go away.  I've tried to kill myself many times & came close to dieing 3 times.  People tell me that God let me live because he has a purpose for me.  I have no purpose.  God couldn't  possibly have a purpose for a loser like me.  I ask God almost on a daily basis, to just take me.  I've given up trying to end my  life.  I feel God hates me & just wants to see me suffer.  I've recently been thinking about hitch hiking out of the state.  I live in Washington & I can't stand it here.  I've even got an application to work for Joyce Meyer Ministries.  My husband doesn't want me to fill the application out.  In fact, when it came in the mail, my husband hid the application from me & I was not happy when I finally found the application & he told me that he did try & hide it from me.  I want out of Washington St. so bad.  I don't want to be anywhere I'm not wanted.  I feel that I am not worth anything & I feel like such a "freak" because of all these mental problems that I have.  I need to find out who I, Jamie is.  I want to feel that I am worth something.  I am on Lexapro for Depression, Adderall for the ADHD, Kolonopin for anxiety.  I don't even know who I am & I don't think I ever did.  Well, I just needed to get that out.  No need to respond to this message.  I feel I am beyond  help.  There is no hope.........just no hope.  ~Jamie~ 

December 14, 2005, 10:33 am CST

You are not crazy!!

Quote From: panther08

I have never been to any kind of doctor or counselor. In fact, I have only told a hand full of people because I'm afraid of the reaction. I always knew that I was kind of different from my family, but I didn't realize it until I found out about OCD. I am constantly repeating actions, such has looking in the mirror, turning the television off and on, placing object in a specific order or repeating something I just said. I also have constant thoughts of my loved ones getting hurt or killed. Whenever I do I start panicking and try to erase them but it never works. This is seriously about to take its tole on me and I don't know how to help myself. Please someone tell me I'm not crazy and help me on what I should do about this. 

I too have a OCD disorder.  My husband knows about it and jokes sometimes only to family about it.  It does not bother me that he jokes about it because it is silly and I recognize that.  I have not seen a doctor either but I am learning to LIVE WITH IT, not GET RID OF IT.  I do not want medication and I realize that it is like an addiction I may never shake.  My OCD is a little different however.  Some examples of what I obsess over are: dirty floors, dust, dirty clothes, trash cans, dirty dishes, loosing loved ones, being in the dark, forseeing future wars, etc.  

I used to, but have learned to limit it, clean all day non-stop.  I went to school full time and my husband worked, so I was home A LOT.  The OCD did not start until I moved out on my own at 16.  When I got out of school I would mop, dust, vaccum, empty trash when a paper towel was in it, wash laundry even though it was one day's outfit, etc.  I wanted control over my life.  After my husband said I can not live like this you have to control it I will help you, it got better.  He said I will start helping you clean.  He would tell me he cleaned when I came home, so I didnt have to.  (Although he was lying I now know).  But that wasn't good enough.  I realized it was a control issue.  Even if he cleaned I would go behind him and do it.  I had to be busy 24/7.  Now I leave the house at 5:30 and get home at 7:00 (work, school, and a baby).  That does not leave me much time to freak out over the cleanliness of the house.  I also obsess over even numbers.  The t.v. channels, volume, looking at something, I secretly do things in even numbers, but no one knows because I promised my husband I would stop.  I was draining him, 

The other part to my OCD is this.... I constantly play scenarios of death in my head.  I imagine scenes where my husband is killed and that his parents will steal my child and stuff.  I imagine/dream about missles and bombs killing my family in my home or other families that I do not know.  I will not sleep in the dark or close my door.  I am afraid there will be a fire and I wont get out or I am afraid that a robber will break in and I wont seem them because its dark.  I wont walk by windows at night or go outside.   

I think all of this is psychological and its me afraid of the unknown and trying to control what I can in my life.  Because of all the things I can not control in my life.  I suggest writing the TRUTH down when you have obsessive thoughts.  Tell yourself outloud there are obsessive thoughts when they happen.  Make a list and put it on your bathroom mirror of things that will help you realize whats real and what you should not obsess about.  I do not know the extent of your OCD, maybe I can help further if I do.   

Good Luck, 

Brittanie 

December 20, 2005, 9:43 am CST

living with someone with ocd

My boyfriend (who is the father of my 2 year old) is OCD.  He does not have "normal" OCD.  Ya know where you wash your hands every 5 mins.  His is: everything has to be his way.  Like the way you ask and answer questions.  If it's not the way he would do it, it's not right, it's stupid and causes a 15 min arguement.  He tells me to do something one way and when I do over and over again, one day that way is wrong and he starts arguing with me.  I know that this is a disorder and he can't help it, but he won't get on medication because he says that I am the cause of everything.  And 3 years of it is making me feel pretty bad about myself and question everything and everybody in my past.  Is there anyone who can give advice on how to live with him and maybe get him to get back on meds??????

December 20, 2005, 11:43 am CST

OCD

My girlfriend of a year has OCD and it has become increasingly more evident.  She was hurt at work in May and has not been the same since, there where several issues around being hurt.  First her employer protested that she was hurt and the workers comp here in washington took until November to accept her claim so that she could recieve treatment.  She has become a hermit and rarely leaves the house, so therefore agoriphobia has set in.  Since she rarely leaves the house her OCD has taken over.  Her OCD comes in the form of rearranging the house and cleaning.  If I start a project and leave something out to finish later she automaticly will come behind me and put everything away.  The kitchen is one of her worst issues there can't be a dish in the sink when she walks in, she will automaticly stop whatever she was doing and put them in the dishwasher.  I have been working 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet, and when I am gone all day long I always have to wonder what will be changed, our living room has been rearranged probably 20 times in the last 8 months, our bedroom has been rearranged at least 30 times.  Meds for her are not the answer, she has taken several different ones over the years and is uninterested in going through the rigors of trying several different meds.  What can I do to help her??????

December 21, 2005, 8:23 am CST

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Quote From: bhall1975

My boyfriend (who is the father of my 2 year old) is OCD.  He does not have "normal" OCD.  Ya know where you wash your hands every 5 mins.  His is: everything has to be his way.  Like the way you ask and answer questions.  If it's not the way he would do it, it's not right, it's stupid and causes a 15 min arguement.  He tells me to do something one way and when I do over and over again, one day that way is wrong and he starts arguing with me.  I know that this is a disorder and he can't help it, but he won't get on medication because he says that I am the cause of everything.  And 3 years of it is making me feel pretty bad about myself and question everything and everybody in my past.  Is there anyone who can give advice on how to live with him and maybe get him to get back on meds??????

hi. I really have only read alot about OCD. I am sorry that you are put through so much with your husband. I mean like all the blaming he does. Please go to counseling and stick by your husband.   

I have depression and anxiety and I would have appreciated my spouse sticking by me and helping out. i miss my spouse so much. we are seperated now and probably going for a divorce.  

anyway good luck 

December 23, 2005, 10:53 am CST

Obsessives Thoughts

Quote From: deirdre7

Hi, 

I'm just wondering if anyone suffers from obsessive thoughts,if so how do you deal with them.I'm taking mirtazipane for depression and anxiety and im wondering if that can contribute to the problem. 

Deirdre 

Deidre, 

When it comes to obsessional thoughts, the best thing to do is to try and seperate yourself from the thoughts allowing them to run UNCHALLENGED in the background as if you have two brains. The thoughts are a product of OCD, and not your everyday rational thinking process. OCD and obsessional thoughts get worse when you challenge them, try to solve them, try to understand them, or ruminate about them. In my experience, even checking in your mind if they are still there sometimes brings them back. I know this is not easy, trust me I know, but it does work over time and with practice.  

Realize also that success in dealing with pure obsessional thoughts are not instant. It takes time. Days, weeks, even months. However, the worst thing to do is question or challenge them, this only makes things worse. Also realize, you can obsess over anything, and I mean anything. The hardest thing I have had problems with has been having insight into when I have been obsessing and when I am just normal problem solving, however this is my advice, " If you have having doubts about something (In the absence of concrete reason to have doubts, normally you either: know, don't know, or are unsure and look for information), are searching for certainty, wanting to find perfection, not feeling good enough and looking for the perfect or best  way  to be good enough, wanting to avoid rejection or hurt, avoiding doing things", then those thoughts and actions are OCD related. Having uncertainty associated with anxiety is OCD. 

Also check out: ocfoundation.org & ocdonline.com (articles by Steven Phillipson) 

I hope this was of some help, 

James    

December 27, 2005, 4:47 pm CST

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Quote From: aharris28

My girlfriend of a year has OCD and it has become increasingly more evident.  She was hurt at work in May and has not been the same since, there where several issues around being hurt.  First her employer protested that she was hurt and the workers comp here in washington took until November to accept her claim so that she could recieve treatment.  She has become a hermit and rarely leaves the house, so therefore agoriphobia has set in.  Since she rarely leaves the house her OCD has taken over.  Her OCD comes in the form of rearranging the house and cleaning.  If I start a project and leave something out to finish later she automaticly will come behind me and put everything away.  The kitchen is one of her worst issues there can't be a dish in the sink when she walks in, she will automaticly stop whatever she was doing and put them in the dishwasher.  I have been working 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet, and when I am gone all day long I always have to wonder what will be changed, our living room has been rearranged probably 20 times in the last 8 months, our bedroom has been rearranged at least 30 times.  Meds for her are not the answer, she has taken several different ones over the years and is uninterested in going through the rigors of trying several different meds.  What can I do to help her??????

I guess I don't understand what the problem is.  I have been unable to work for 4 years now due to various handicaps.  To keep myself from going "stir crazy" I do a lot of things around the house...how does that make a person "OCD". 

December 27, 2005, 5:46 pm CST

Can it all change around?

Im 15, and since i was little i wouyld always have to have my socks perfect, i would take 15 minutes because they would drive me crazy! also if i would touch my hand on somthing then i would have to do it exactly the same to the other one. Or my arms or anything. But i dont do tht anymore. Now everytime i watch tv or loistn to music the volume number HAS to be even. If it isnt  cant watch it. In class we watch movies and i will go up to the tv to put it on a even number. Also this ones a litte wierd and hard to explain but ill try... ok ill give an example, the tv i will read something or somene says something and ill say the words in my head to each corner of the tv untill it ends up on the last side, or ill do it wth the sideawlk or anything. I dont knoe how to stop, and it drivess me crazxy! how can i stop i try but its so hard tht it just bugs me... doesa anyone else have any of the feelings i do?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last