Message Boards

Topic : Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Number of Replies: 228
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:00:55 am
Author : dataimport
Patients suffering from OCD have a challenge in overcoming their illness. Share your story and get support from those who understand.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 3, 2007, 6:35 am CST

OCD

I have OCD and I am on antidepressants for anxiety, ocd and depression. But... the meds are making my sex drive low and I was never like that. I used to want to have sex and now I am not in the mood anymore.  I go to a counselor but sometimes it is hard to talk to a guy about stuff like this. I also can have an orgasm with the antidepressants. Just my luck. If I don't take the pills for a day or two I can have one then my spouse says I am being a you know what. I can't win.

January 3, 2007, 3:07 pm CST

sex and meds

Quote From: writerbug2

I have OCD and I am on antidepressants for anxiety, ocd and depression. But... the meds are making my sex drive low and I was never like that. I used to want to have sex and now I am not in the mood anymore.  I go to a counselor but sometimes it is hard to talk to a guy about stuff like this. I also can have an orgasm with the antidepressants. Just my luck. If I don't take the pills for a day or two I can have one then my spouse says I am being a you know what. I can't win.
     I have have this problems then I got new meds and they dont have the same effects you really need to talk to your doctor about it... I also use more vitamins now maybe that helped LOL

Eclaire

January 4, 2007, 2:46 am CST

OCD SUCKS THE LIFE OUTTA ME

Hi everyone,

I cant stop washing for hours on end.  I have washed myself to the point where Ive bled, my skin cracks and so- forth.  At one point I put Lysol in my bath.  Not alot but like a couple tablespoons.  This was along time ago.  I take Paxil at 40mgs once per day.  I am also currently on Serax for anxiety from the ocd.  I am married and the mother of a 15 year old daughter, 9 year old son, and 1.6 year old babyboy.  I have to function!  Ocd make everyday life a living hell.  Ive contemplated suicide so many times because I dont feel that anyone understands.  I can look at a picture and not even touch it and get extreme anxiety (my mind bluffing me into thinking I have tons of dust on my face).  There was a time when I would have to walk by a picture with a towel over my head.  I dont touch my bed blankets for fear of contamination.  I must look crazy because I wear socks on my hands and feet so Im not touching anything.  If I go to the bathroom I have to take another bath, I dont like to touch light switches with my hands, instead I use my elbow or better yet since I am trained in dance and TKD I sometimes will use my feet to touch things I dont want to touch because I dont want to get stuck in brainlock then spending forever washing my hands.  I take ambien every night and it lessens my severe symptoms.   Well heres just a glimpse into my ocd nightmare!

January 4, 2007, 2:50 am CST

Quote From: trooper

I'm fairly new to the message board, so tonight i alone and decided to browse a little, then i came across the OCD, read some of the messages and froze dead in my tracks.  All my life I've been tease a lot about how neat, how organized, how clean my house is and goes on and on.  Well now i think i seriously belong here.  Like a lot of you out there I cannot go to bed until everything in the house is right where it should be, every cupboards and closet is organized,everything is clean and smell fresh when you walk in. My friends always say i have a sickness, it never really bothers me, but sometime i wait till there gone to do my thing.  My best friend always tell others how one day she saw me dust the light bulbs in the lamps, doesn't everybody do that?  She always laughs at my " cleaning kit ", ( old toothbrushes, a little knife for cracks, toothpicks for very small things, scraper, about 10 other brushes of all kinds,......and more).  If we a have a party at home I have to admit that it does take a lot out of me to sit down and relax i am so tempted to start cleaning while people are still here, I've been told a few times to just sit down.   I can go on and on about what  i do, but  pretty much the same story as everyone else, i just don't know what to think right now, I'm surprised, excited, confused and then some.  I always though it was the way i was raised that I'm like that, clean freak, that is my nick name. I never talked to my doctor about it, i didn't think it was a problem, sometimes it does interfere with my social life, but i don't think that much.  Should i worry about it, should i talk to my doctor, no more teasing this is serious, i am so in shock I'm about to cry right now. Oh geez!  Please anyone that does the same thing i do, please talk to me, I've heard of OCD before but never looked at myself as having one. ( it did cross my mind a little) Please someone what should i do?

Johanne

Johanne its nice to meet you!!  I can surely identify with you.  Are you seeing a doctor for this?  Also how long have you suffered?

Keep in Touch!!!

Robin

January 4, 2007, 2:55 am CST

Quote From: writerbug2

Arent spouses difficult at times?!!!  I havent had any terribly bad sexual side effects due to my meds.  What I have noticed though is the antianxiety med masks most of my emotions so I appear as if I am okay.  Im never in the mood dont feel bad.  But I think its because my husband needs to spend a wee bit more time talking to me or romancing me.  Men are visual,  but women are emotionally wired.  Us women need to be lifted off our feet.  (smiles)

January 4, 2007, 3:01 am CST

OCD sucks the life outta me

Does anyone suffer from this....

I go to wash my hands.. I put soap on them, rub my hands together normally, and then I rinse them thoroughly.  Okay, now this is the bluff of ocd that my brain pulls on me....  "Your hands are clean, but you still have soap on them!.  Okay your done..  Nope rinse them again I feel the soap still inbetween my fingers, okay Im done.  Nope sorry charlie now you must rinse all the way up to your wrist because somehow the water pushed the soap up your arm..  Do you see where I am going with this..  This is a SMALL example of my thought process.  Its a brain LOCK!  MY brain bluffing me.  Even though I know darn well there is no soap left on my hands I cant stop until they feel just right.

Its tiring!

January 9, 2007, 4:12 am CST

Looking

I would like to know if anyone here suffers from packratting consider as OCD ?

Eclaire

January 19, 2007, 5:51 am CST

my research therapy

I received a few fact sheets in my session that I want to post ....

The first fact sheet I got was about: Obsessive doubts and normal doubts. Learning how to tell them apart. That was easy to understand they use the person obsessing over washing their hands. A normal doubt would be answer my informations one of our sense would give us: like you can see your hands are dirty. An OCD doubt is more like maybe I miss a corner or between my fingers, maybe I didn't use enough soap.

The second info sheet was about the OCD logic. It explain that the OCD logic is base on what can happen thinking not a sensation. That they come from 5 possible areas.
1- common sense: bacteria does exist.
2- authority: surgeon wash their hands before operating.
3- hear say: they heard about someone getting sick after using public bath rooms
4-past experience: they got sick because they didn't wash their hands.
5-calculated logic: It is always possible to catch an infection.
I understand this I can even say I use most of the time the calculated logic.
Which makes me question I am using it because of the OCD or because I have always been logical thinker or Am I a logical thinker because of the OCD.

The third sheet yesterdays is about  the OCD doubts are 100% imaginary. I get that it is simple just ask myself 2 questions.
1- Is there informations in the here and now to justify my doubt?
2-Is my doubt beyond what I can perceive?

I am having problem seeing this with hoarding any help some one out here.....PLEASE

Eclaire

January 27, 2007, 5:12 pm CST

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Does anyone suffer from Trichotillomania?

Cuz I have since 3rd grade and I'm now 16

and a junior in highschool.

Yeah.

January 30, 2007, 9:05 pm CST

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Quote From: teziscool

Does anyone suffer from Trichotillomania?

Cuz I have since 3rd grade and I'm now 16

and a junior in highschool.

Yeah.

I don't have trich, but a close friend of mine does. How bad is yours? You're both the same age and she started only a couple of years after you did...already she's had to shave her head and eyebrows in an attempt to control it and I was just wondering how differently they progress between individuals. Luckily, trich isn't fatal (at least, I haven't heard any stories) but if you swallow your hair then I suggest you see a doctor immediately...in fact, you should seek aid anyway (if you haven't already). I'm not an expert on the subject but from what I've learned about it from my friend and through sources on the net, it's treatable and in many circumstances, even completely curable.

First | Prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next | Last