Message Boards

Topic : 07/10 Slacker Wives and Moocher Moms

Number of Replies: 162
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 05, 2007, 02:31:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil speaks with self-proclaimed slacker wives and moocher moms, who admit they fall short in the mom and wife categories. Keya is a stay-at-home mom who spends 18 hours a day in bed, while her husband, Tyrone, works and does everything around the house, including waiting on her hand and foot. Keya considers herself a “rich man’s wife, but Tyrone says he’s not rich at all, and he’s tired of feeling more like her maid than her husband. Dr. Phil has a surprise for Keya! Next, Nick and Tara turn in their mother, Rita, who is unemployed, living in her van -- when she’s not crashing at their homes -- and constantly receiving handouts from her family. Her family claims she’s even taken money from her grandson’s piggy bank! Are her kids to blame for always coming to her rescue? Then, a mooching mom makes her daughters feel guilty if they don’t pay her bills and give her cash. She has a job, so why is she taking her daughter’s student loan money? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 6, 2007, 12:19 pm CDT

No excuse for SLACKERS of any kind!

I am a stay-at-home, college-educated woman who taught high school for 9 years and was a felony parole officer for three. I was excellent in both positions, but I LOVE being a fulltime, hands-on Mom more than I loved either job.

MANY are great teachers and great parole officers, but NOBODY else can be the mother of our wonderful children! There is no better reward than spending quality time with growing, needy, loving children and LOVING every minute of it!!!

With that said, I have NEVER been a slacker. I work hard with keeping schedules going, running errands, attending school and sport functions, keeping the house clean and orderly, having sit-down dinners on the table so we can enjoy eachother nightly, planning family gatherings, etc. LAZY is NOT part of my vocabulary and there is NEVER a GOOD EXCUSE for someone being a lazy taker!!!

The families who ENABLE slackers shouldn't be complaining. They are a HUGE part of the problem and the person couldn't be a lazy slob if it were not for them! Time to grow up and stand up to slackers, even if it means they get angry at you.

Until YOU change, slackers have no motivation to.

Can't wait to see this show!

July 7, 2007, 10:12 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show

And Cher Doctor Kers Moms Moo Phil Slac Wives. Doctor Phil you have gone off the deep end but I have never see this one before. See you tomorrow Afternoon. Sincerley Your. Russell-----

Vlaanderen.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 7, 2007, 10:36 am CDT

Moocher Mums

I spent 19 years looking after my mum. I was just 19 when she was forced to retire at 52 from Amoco. When that happened I lost the mum I had known and loved (when she was around) She went through a complete personality change apart from going into severe depression. I found 3 different jobs for her from 1988 to 1993/4 until the final company she worked for, Pentex Oil, made her redundant again. Whilst working for Pentex she had a serious accident at Aberdeen Airport, Scotland. After that she was never very well again. Not only did she end up in wheelchair but she then decided that she would try to take my life over and live her life through mine and she also decided that as she had spent the first 18 years of my life paying for me it was my turn to pay for her and look after her.

I bought the house that we lived in for her and I was about to rent a house for me to live in and live my life but things went tragically wrong and in October 1997 I had a very serious horse riding accident. This has now left me severely disabled and wheelchair bound practically.

Up until just over two years ago my mother still expected me to pay for everything including the mortgage and pay for all the shopping that she needed and by this time she was terminally ill and dying.

The emotional, financial and physical drain was indescribable and I would not want to see anyone else go through what I went through. I have lost 19 years of my life through my mother's selfishness.

I learnt alot through watching the way my mother treated people, and most of the time she was very nasty to people. As far as she was concerned people were there just for her and that included me too.  It is not easy to fight for your freedom and life especially with someone who is very dominant and strong willed.

The other way of looking at things is to think/say what else did god have planned for me for the future as I now don't have the career that I use to have.

July 7, 2007, 11:41 am CDT

18 hours is a long time to stay in bed.

Keya sounds more like she is depressed. I could not stay in bed that long. I get up at 6:00 everymorning to make coffee and walk the dogs. There is always something to do around the house. I also have flowers outside and mow the yard. I like to cook-I'm always trying out new recipes because the same old dishes can be boring. My kids are grown so I'm through that stage. Now I have to admit sometimes I have days when I slack a bit. Sometimes I just cannot get going full speed. But on the whole I work pretty hard at home. I have no desire to stay in the bed for hours. Even if I wanted to, it would make my joints hurt. I feel better when I'm moving about.

July 7, 2007, 11:46 am CDT

What's up with Rita?

Why is Rita homeless? Is she having a hard time finding a job? Can she be helped? I have to believe she would rather be doing just about anything other than living in her van and living off her children. I know I would. I can't understand why the other mooching mom expects her kids to pay her bills. Is she disabled? I don't feel that my kids owe me anything for raising them. I do demand thier respect.( And hugs)

July 7, 2007, 12:20 pm CDT

I agree

takeing it one step further,we live in a me me me society and that is sad. We have  many throw away kids because so many won't  make the sacrifices needed to raise kids or be a husband or wife.

I wasn't perfect and I also worked,but you know I never even thought it was anyone else duty to raise my kids, now we live in society of grand parents raiseing grand kids,myself included.

I love my grands very much but I also feel cheated out of grand parent privilages.

July 7, 2007, 12:33 pm CDT

You are so right

Quote From: flthomcat

I am a stay-at-home, college-educated woman who taught high school for 9 years and was a felony parole officer for three. I was excellent in both positions, but I LOVE being a fulltime, hands-on Mom more than I loved either job.

MANY are great teachers and great parole officers, but NOBODY else can be the mother of our wonderful children! There is no better reward than spending quality time with growing, needy, loving children and LOVING every minute of it!!!

With that said, I have NEVER been a slacker. I work hard with keeping schedules going, running errands, attending school and sport functions, keeping the house clean and orderly, having sit-down dinners on the table so we can enjoy eachother nightly, planning family gatherings, etc. LAZY is NOT part of my vocabulary and there is NEVER a GOOD EXCUSE for someone being a lazy taker!!!

The families who ENABLE slackers shouldn't be complaining. They are a HUGE part of the problem and the person couldn't be a lazy slob if it were not for them! Time to grow up and stand up to slackers, even if it means they get angry at you.

Until YOU change, slackers have no motivation to.

Can't wait to see this show!

I just want to say this, "There is no one on God's green earth better to be a parent to children, than the parent."

I say this because I witnessed my own sister "raising" her children while asleep all day long.  She claims she "raised" them when in fact, the just "grew up" and are now adults.  The sad thing is they can not even read or write at a first grade level.  I see her 32 year old son trying to raise four sons and has no clue as to how.  Reason is he never learned how to be a good parent.  I know that if he would listen to what the Lord placed in his heart and use his brain, he could do it.  He has a wife who is educated and this causes him more frustration and the feeling of being a failure.  Well, at his age, he could do something about the problem.  Everything you mention you did and do is the reason, as parents, we know that it is not easy, but worth it.

I would leave a spouse like this if nothing else worked.  Take the children and let the slacker live their life alone in bed and see how long it would take them to come out of it and face the real world.  This is just as much for the slacker's sake as for everyone else's.

Oh, by the way, I consider myself as an enabler because my sister lives with me now to help take care of our bedridden mother and guess who does most the work?  Yep, me.  She is already looking for a place to go when the time comes to go our separate ways and she is planning on going to the daughter who did all the work when she was just a child herself.  My sister must think that this daughter will return to her old ways and "take care of her."

The slackers CAN change IF THEY WANT TO.

Take care

God bless

July 7, 2007, 1:29 pm CDT

07/10 Slacker Wives and Moocher Moms

I'm not particularly fond of lazy people. I do, however, find myself getting pretty dang tired of cleaning the same things over and over and over and over until finally, I just lay it down! I'll let it go until I finally get tired of looking at it and then clean it up. I have less than 900 sq. ft. of home for my husband, 2 girls and myself and if anything is out of place, it looks like a mess and since I have a 5 year old and a 10 month old, pretty much everything is out of place.  I have started boxing up all of my what-nots, just so I don't have to worry with dusting or cleaning them, since I have all the toys I have to deal with and the car magazines and spit cups, as well. As far as being a "Soccer Mom", NO, I am not one of those. To be able to be a Soccer Mom, you have to have money and most of the time I see alot of those kind of women shopping and most of the time their nails are done and their hair is of the most fashionable cut of that particular season.....Most of the time anyway. I know what I say sounds like I'm lashing out but that is only because I can't enjoy those benefits. I guess his family are comparing me to what they generally see out and about town.  I'm kinda wondering if the "slacker mom" isn't depressed. Having quit working when my first was born, I didn't want money to be an issue and it's not, since he is the one who has the money!! Heck, I've got more problems over here than just this subject!

July 7, 2007, 3:57 pm CDT

18 hours in bed! Ridiculous

I love my sleep as well as the next person but 18 hours in bed is ridiculous!  Maybe the woman has a medical condition where all she wants to do is sleep.   If a medical conditon is ruled out then I wouldn't blame Tyrone one bit if he wanted out of the marriage.  Keya needs to get her lazy rear end out of bed and start burning calories.

July 7, 2007, 7:10 pm CDT

our show

my sister, mom, and I are the 3rd guests on the show ....my moms the moocher....Im really nervous to watch it......one of the scariest  and most embaressing things I have ever done....

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last