Message Boards

Topic : 07/10 Slacker Wives and Moocher Moms

Number of Replies: 162
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 05, 2007, 02:31:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil speaks with self-proclaimed slacker wives and moocher moms, who admit they fall short in the mom and wife categories. Keya is a stay-at-home mom who spends 18 hours a day in bed, while her husband, Tyrone, works and does everything around the house, including waiting on her hand and foot. Keya considers herself a “rich man’s wife, but Tyrone says he’s not rich at all, and he’s tired of feeling more like her maid than her husband. Dr. Phil has a surprise for Keya! Next, Nick and Tara turn in their mother, Rita, who is unemployed, living in her van -- when she’s not crashing at their homes -- and constantly receiving handouts from her family. Her family claims she’s even taken money from her grandson’s piggy bank! Are her kids to blame for always coming to her rescue? Then, a mooching mom makes her daughters feel guilty if they don’t pay her bills and give her cash. She has a job, so why is she taking her daughter’s student loan money? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 8, 2007, 12:34 am CDT

slackers & moochers

Tyrone can only blame himself if he continues to allow Keya to stay in bed all day.  He should have her make an appointment with her physician to see if there is a medical reason causing her to sleep so much.  If there is not anything medically wrong with her then Tyrone needs to quit doing everything for her.  It is unhealthy to stay in bed like that.  I would think she showed signs of being lazy before this. 

I can't imagine being the guest for this particular show.  Why would anyone want the world to know they are that lazy?

July 8, 2007, 4:18 am CDT

how could any one be that lazy?

I am a mum of two kids ....one is 8 and the other is 10.
Now it is impossible to be sitting on your behind or even be in bed for too long as kids and husband have needs...such as a nutritional meal and a clean environment to live in.
I had a friend years ago who was a bit like that...except it wasnt that she slept all day it was that she just didnt do any thing. I rememeber being pregnant and I would visit her house and I would start cleaning her house,feeding her son and even giving him a bath...
Its frustrating to see all that clutter and dirt....yukkk!!
Ok I am not a stepford wife but geeez  do something....KEIRA GET OUT OF BED AND SEE WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE...I AM SURE YOU WILL FIND A MILLION THINGS TO DO..

Or maybe if your depressed please seek professional help before your hubby walks out..!
Good Luck!

July 8, 2007, 7:47 am CDT

WHAT IS A DEPRESSIVE DISORDER?

The brain is involved in everything we do.  How we think, how we feel, how we act, and how well we get along with other people is related to the moment-by-moment functioning of the brain. When the brain works right, people tend to work right. When the brain is troubled, people tend to struggle being their best selves.  Some of my favorite books that provide a great introduction and insight are:

Why is it Always About You?  The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss AND Emotional Blackmail:  When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward

Healthy Boundaries Workbook: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Set and Maintain Better Boundaries by Deborah Deiboldt Legge 

Healing Anxiety and Depression (7 types of anxiety and depression) by Daniel Amen and Lisa Routh OR Getting Help:  The Complete and Authoritative Guide to Self-Assessment and Treatment of Mental Health Problems by Jeffrey Wood

How to Journal for Therapy:

http://arar.essortment.com/therapyjournali_repu.htm

A depressive disorder is a whole-body illness, involving your body, mood, and thoughts.  It affects the way you eat and sleep, the way you feel about yourself and the way you do things.  A depressive disorder is not the same as a passing blue mood.  Without treatment, symptoms can last for weeks, months, or years.  Possibly the saddest fact about depression is that much of this suffering is unnecessary.  Most people with a depressive illness do not seek treatment.  Unfortunately, many people do not recognize they have a treatable illness.  Appropriate treatment however, can help most people who suffer from depression including psychotherapy and depending on the severity, medication.

Hope it helps!

July 8, 2007, 7:47 am CDT

Why continue to enable these slackers and moochers?

You guys are NOT their slaves, their maid, their open wallets. You are people they should be respecting SO much that they'd NEVER try to CON you like they have for how many years now??

These slackers and moochers NEED THERAPY, not handouts!! Follow Dr Phil's advice and STOP enabling these "free-lunch"-addicts!

July 8, 2007, 8:09 am CDT

07/10 Slacker Wives and Moocher Moms

why would anyone allow this to happen?  I have a similar problem with my daughter.  She had a boyfriend that used her to provide.  He provided sperm and now does not provide for the child.  My grandson was diagnoised with Leukemia recently and the bimbo is back in my daughter and grandchilds life.  He is back to using everyone around him.  

July 8, 2007, 10:01 am CDT

Quote From: cougar39

Tyrone can only blame himself if he continues to allow Keya to stay in bed all day.  He should have her make an appointment with her physician to see if there is a medical reason causing her to sleep so much.  If there is not anything medically wrong with her then Tyrone needs to quit doing everything for her.  It is unhealthy to stay in bed like that.  I would think she showed signs of being lazy before this. 

I can't imagine being the guest for this particular show.  Why would anyone want the world to know they are that lazy?

Some of it could be depression. I went thru a period of my life where all i wanted to do was sleep. I also felt like "what's the point?" they just mess it all up again, I never get any help or even a thank -you" I went and sought help got depression meds and we went to speak with a counselor....worlds of difference i always worked a bit outside the home where my husband works full time but now he respects what i do (and I don't sleep but the standard7-8 hrs. now because of the meds. ) I get alot more done and my husband and kids pitch in at least some and are far more appreciative.

July 8, 2007, 3:02 pm CDT

Well, you're certainly braver than me.

Quote From: mystikal8503

my sister, mom, and I are the 3rd guests on the show ....my moms the moocher....Im really nervous to watch it......one of the scariest  and most embaressing things I have ever done....
It think it takes a lot of courage to go on DrPhil. I, MYSELF, do NOT have that kind of courage! I hope ya'll got something settled. Since we haven't seen the show yet, I'm not sure what's going on. I'm looking forward to seeing it. If you're going to read the messages, you had better stay strong. We can be brutally honest sometimes. Hang in there.

July 8, 2007, 7:55 pm CDT

Eighteen hours a day in BED, I wish, just kidding really I couldn't imagine that.

Is there a reason for it, a physical or mental reason ? I mean how many of us have dealt with, sigh, picking up after ungrateful people ? But we do it anyway, if there's nothing wrong with her, then why does he allow it ?  Go on STRIKE, let the house become a mess, take care of the kids yes, they didn't ask for this, but stop giving her money and stop doing the housework, but I hope they make sure that mentally and physically there is nothing going on first, I'm sure the Doc will though.

As for the Moms, I wonder if some sort of Demetia might be setting in, again I'm sure the Doc will get them asessed.  Maybe it is a sense of entitlement on their part, maybe they do it simply because "They can", those girls shouldn't be giving up their money, that's for their education, and if Mom is working, then leave their money alone.

Saying "NO" is a hard thing to do when it comes to family, I get that, but DNA dosen't ENTITLE you to anything, what I mean is, after the age of 18, our children are no longer ENTITLED to our support, we choose to (especially if they're still in High School, and even in college, but expecting them to work and help out around the house won't hurt them either), just as I am NOT ENTITLED to being supported by my kids (I am capable of working, and able to support myself ) and if she is stealing from her GRANDCHILDREN then sorry , but that's low.

July 10, 2007, 7:24 am CDT

First I would need to ask what has happened in this womans life that she would want to lay around and be a non productive parent to her children and a lazy spouse to her hubby?  If you feel that a man should be the one to "take care" of you in 2007 there is something seriously wrong. Get up, get out and be someone in this lifetime. Do fun things with the children they are the future imagine the affect this has and will have on them in the future. Be a "PARTNER" to your husband help him financially and emotionally making him be your slave man is absolute insanity. Do not think your all that please. I think women like this are a disgrace to productive women in society and ruins it for us good decent single women who have a lot to offer a man. 

July 10, 2007, 7:33 am CDT

lazy & spoiled or depressed?

On the one hand, I believe in (and have experienced) "behave your way to health", but it is also true that one of the most common components of depression is excessive time in bed and/or sleeping. Why was there no recommendation that this "slacker wife" who spends an average of 18 hours in bed every day be checked first for depression.  Often, there needs to be a certain amount of treatment for depression before becoming better by doing better can work.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last