Message Boards

Topic : 07/11 What’s Up, Doc?

Number of Replies: 486
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 05, 2007, 02:34:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have you ever wanted to talk to your doctor about pressing medical concerns, but were too afraid to speak up? Today, four physicians with four different specialties return to bust medical myths and teach you things you never knew about your body. First up, 45-year-old Pamela has a paralyzing fear of physicians. She was diagnosed with a terminal lung disease six years ago and hasn't set foot in a doctor's office since. Find out what happens when Dr. Phil creates a makeshift exam room backstage! Then, Denise and her husband, Steve, have been trying to get pregnant for three years. Steve says he’s tired of sex being a business deal, but Denise desperately wants a baby. Should she keep trying to conceive or just move on with her life? And, having four kids wreaked havoc on Casey's body, and now she wants cosmetic surgery. Her husband, Jonathan, says a tummy tuck is too expensive, and thinks Casey can get in shape by doing more sit-ups. See Dr. Phil’s surprise for her! Plus, a couple who say their 9- and 15-year-old sons are still not potty trained! Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 7, 2007, 7:09 pm CDT

kids not potty trained ????????

boy am I curious about this one.  How can kids that old really not use the toilet?  What can you do about something that socially mal-adjusted?   do they wet themselves or soil themselves wear adult diapers do they just not clean themselves?  do they go out in public?

What do the parents do?  Are they normal people?

July 7, 2007, 11:11 pm CDT

07/11 What’s Up, Doc?

I have a myriad of health problems, and have been disabled since 38. I have a great doctor (an osteopath), though I'm afraid to discuss ALL the things all the time. I pick the worst of the bunch, attempting to not sound like some kind of hypochondriac. It's the first time I've had a female doctor, and she's been very supportive and understanding. It's likely that she'd listen to me attentively, and address any issues/concerns I might have. It's the past that continues to "haunt"...of being poo-poohed away by the male doctors I've had to see. I'm sure there are plenty of competent, caring male physicians...I just haven't had any. Kinda sad, actually......

July 8, 2007, 12:51 am CDT

not potty trained...please

I am curious to see this episode.  I cannot believe those boys are not potty trained.  That doesn't even sound logical.  9 & 15...come on.

July 8, 2007, 1:23 am CDT

Not Potty Tranied

Well I must say I am so shocked that a 9 and 15 yr old is NOT Potty Tranied.

I have a 2 and a half year old son and he gose to the potty everday.

I have just been in hosipatal and need help to go to the toliet and I hatted it.

I really hope that Dr.Phil can help this mother with her children,I feel she NEEDS help........

July 8, 2007, 3:47 am CDT

GETTING PREGENT

TRYING TO GET PREGENT?

I WILL LIKE TO SAY THAT TRYING TO GET PREGENT IS NOT EASY FOR SAME PEOPLE BUT IT CAN HAPPEN...

MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR ANOUTHER CHILD SINCE 2005.

WE DECIDE TO HAVE A BREAK, THEN I WENT TO THE DOCTOR AND I FOUND OUT THAT I AM PREGENT I THINK IF YOU TRY ALL THE TIME IT PUTS A LOT OF STREES ON YOUR BODY.

SO KEEP STRONG AND DON'T RUSH INTO IT HAVE A BREAK FOR A WHILE THEN TRY WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE YOU NEED TO....

July 8, 2007, 6:58 am CDT

Potty Training

Not being "potty trained" can have a MEDICAL reason ... it is called encopresis.  Some children, particularly boys, have difficulty eliminating waste.  This may be a result of many reasons or a reason that cannot be determined.  Some of the reasons include poor muscle tone in the rectum, an inability to feel or recognize the body's message to go to the bathroom, an inability of the body to "move" the waste through the intestines/bowel because there is either poor or no peristaltic movement.  There could be a number of other reasons as well.  This is an illness that is NEVER talked about in public for just the reason that most of you have shown ... people tend to think of it as disgusting with the end result that children who have it are embarassed and have very poor self esteem. They don't want to be ill but cannot fix it.  It takes many many years and a lot of work to get it under control.  Oddly enough this illness is often improved or it may even disappear around the time of puberty.  Doctors think it may be a result of an increase in hormone production.  Interestingly, it is actually much more common that most people would have believed - it is just never discussed - which is a terrible shame because of what it does to the children.  So perhaps instead of immediately judging these children, you might want to be informed first (try googling "encopresis" and "enuresis") and then watch this episode to see if that is what they have.

July 8, 2007, 7:01 am CDT

07/11 What’s Up, Doc?

Quote From: dbtrains

boy am I curious about this one.  How can kids that old really not use the toilet?  What can you do about something that socially mal-adjusted?   do they wet themselves or soil themselves wear adult diapers do they just not clean themselves?  do they go out in public?

What do the parents do?  Are they normal people?

Yes the parents are normal people and what makes you think the children are mal-adjusted.  That may not necessarily be the case.  It may be a medical reason - google encopresis

July 8, 2007, 7:13 am CDT

07/11 What’s Up, Doc?

Quote From: kendra1820

I don't feel sorry for the parents. It is their fault that these children are like this. These boys have been abused in some form. Either physical or mental. How awful for these children.

No, the boys may not have been abused and it may not be the parents fault.  Google Encopresis - it may be the result of a medical issue.  And yes, it can be awful for the children because the public thinks of them as "disgusting" or "mal-adjusted" or "mentally handicapped".  People do not want their children around these "disgusting" kids - as evidenced by one other post on this topic.

My son, age 11, is not  "disgusting", "mal-adjusted" or "mentally handicapped".  He is a charming, funny, outgoing and extremely intelligent boy.  And he has encopresis.  He is not what most would call potty trained but it isn't for lack of trying.  We have both cried over this thousands of time. He is seen by a pediatrician and we manage it.  I homeschool him because of the lack of understanding in the school system.  Because of homeschooling he has not had the ridicule that other children with this illness have had - and believe me, it is way more common than most would believe. As a result, my son does not have the poor self-esteem to the same extent as some others.  We have tried very hard to educate people without putting my son in the limelight.  Please educate yourselves on encopresis before you judge these children.  It is a heartbreaking illness that no parent or child afflicted with it dares talk about.

July 8, 2007, 7:58 am CDT

Don't feel safe or respected by doctors

Medical doctors are so quick to push pills on everyone I know AND they don't listen, really listen, to us anymore. Their paperwork matters more than we do!

How can these "first, do no harm" doctors charge people several day's pay just for a few medical tests and an office visit?? We are not rich, too many Americans don't have any insurance ... how can doctors do this to us and still claim they are "first, doing no harm??"

When a friend started going through menopause her medical doctor wouldn't listen to her talking about all the breast cancer in her family, just tried to get her prescribed in some hormones and an antidepressant. Fortunately we knew a good alternative doctor who got her through this with herbs, dietary changes and got her with a good therapist... she's doing better than she has been for years!

Another friend's mom had medical issues and her doctor kept telling her it was arthritis, or gastric problems, or etc. It was bladder cancer that the quack didn't catch and now this dear woman is DEAD!!

Doctors treat us like cattle to be processed, not like human beings deserving of their time, attention and RESPECT!! If they want us to feel we can trust them, they darn well better start earning our trust and respect by first, doing NO harm!

July 8, 2007, 9:30 am CDT

07/11 What’s Up, Doc?

Quote From: lcggrg

Not being "potty trained" can have a MEDICAL reason ... it is called encopresis.  Some children, particularly boys, have difficulty eliminating waste.  This may be a result of many reasons or a reason that cannot be determined.  Some of the reasons include poor muscle tone in the rectum, an inability to feel or recognize the body's message to go to the bathroom, an inability of the body to "move" the waste through the intestines/bowel because there is either poor or no peristaltic movement.  There could be a number of other reasons as well.  This is an illness that is NEVER talked about in public for just the reason that most of you have shown ... people tend to think of it as disgusting with the end result that children who have it are embarassed and have very poor self esteem. They don't want to be ill but cannot fix it.  It takes many many years and a lot of work to get it under control.  Oddly enough this illness is often improved or it may even disappear around the time of puberty.  Doctors think it may be a result of an increase in hormone production.  Interestingly, it is actually much more common that most people would have believed - it is just never discussed - which is a terrible shame because of what it does to the children.  So perhaps instead of immediately judging these children, you might want to be informed first (try googling "encopresis" and "enuresis") and then watch this episode to see if that is what they have.

Good job and thank you for not being judge mental.  Some people I tell ya.  I think it's very important for people to look at things from all angles.  I've recently joined up a couple of days ago and I'm already sick of what this world has to say about other people they know nothing about.  Their opinion or not, some people are just plain rude!  By the way I couldn't agree more with what you had to say it sounds as though you are very educated in this area.  I guess we'll have to wait and see the show. 

Rebecca

P.s. I'm sure this family didn't come on TV to nationally embarrass themselves so I think everyone should keep any negative comments to themselves until after the show.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last