Message Boards

Topic : Meditation and Yoga

Number of Replies: 140
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:04:02 am
Author : dataimport
For centuries, meditation and yoga have been used to calm the inner soul as well as strengthen the outer body. Share your experiences and advice.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 10, 2005, 1:01 pm CST

hang in there

Quote From: fyte4acure

Not totally up to par yet,  

Good news!  My UTI is clear!  No more infections!  Yeah! 

But the Cipro did a huge number on my stomach and intestinal tract.  Pain!  My nurse practitioner who I respect very highly because she is very direct and gets down to business and is very respectful of me, treats me human, gave me some Prevacid for my stomach that has been on fire for the last three days.  Cipro can burn up ones stomach badly.  Just waiting for it to clear.  Guess a few more days with this pain and hopefully by Monday it will be gone.   

Meditation is really hard to focus on when pain is so much.  I'm looking for any ideas.  Music helps, sleep helps, but nothing takes away the pain.  I don't want to take pain meds anymore.  What meditations do you suggest?  I have no health insurance and cannot afford a professional meditation therapist.  Anyone else going through tough times in meditation while being in lots of pain?  Will listen to any suggestion! 

Kristie : ) 

fight4acure 

Hi 

I don't know how well meditation will actually help your pain - nor do I know much of your condition, but I do know the wonders of slow, deep breathing.  It helped me get through a big portion of labour.  Take deep breaths into the lower chambers of your lungs (this will move your stomach though and if that hurts it then try middle lungs which will move your breast area) - breath in for 5 seconds through your nose, hold for two seconds, and breath out for 5 seconds through your mouth.  The idea behind it is also visulisation - imagine breathing in good, healthy aura colors and breathing out all the yucky black sh*t!!  Also, you might find hot water bottles on your stomach and hot, candle lit baths help (with both pain and meditation).  I find if my husband runs his warm hands over my back it can help, not only back pain but also stomach pains too.  GOOD LUCK! 

November 10, 2005, 1:17 pm CST

some meditation websites

Quote From: leighbells

Hi 

I don't know how well meditation will actually help your pain - nor do I know much of your condition, but I do know the wonders of slow, deep breathing.  It helped me get through a big portion of labour.  Take deep breaths into the lower chambers of your lungs (this will move your stomach though and if that hurts it then try middle lungs which will move your breast area) - breath in for 5 seconds through your nose, hold for two seconds, and breath out for 5 seconds through your mouth.  The idea behind it is also visulisation - imagine breathing in good, healthy aura colors and breathing out all the yucky black sh*t!!  Also, you might find hot water bottles on your stomach and hot, candle lit baths help (with both pain and meditation).  I find if my husband runs his warm hands over my back it can help, not only back pain but also stomach pains too.  GOOD LUCK! 

Hi again!  Have just done a search for meditation - I found a few sites that looked quite helpful. 

www.meditationcentre.com 

www.how-to-meditate.org 

Have a look - I hope they help!  :) 

November 13, 2005, 4:55 pm CST

Ty - I just got out of a nice hot bath with candles lite and music playing

Quote From: leighbells

Hi 

Thank you for the advice!  I just got out of a hot bubble bath with lite candles and music playing as well.  Then I came on here just now and find out you posted this as advice!  how ironic is that!  So cool! 

Yes, I do deep breathing... that helps. 

I find visualization really helps too!  I dream of being on an island, relaxing, getting a massage, drinking some chocolate milk, and having a band play music for me.  I can feel the waves of the ocean touching my toes on the beach.  I can see the sunset in pretty sky colors, the pink, the blue, the purple, and the yellow all mixed!  How beautiful.  I have found that visualization has helped me the most.  It doesn't take away the pain... but it does distract my mind from it. 

Thank you for sharing your ideas! 

Anyone else have any good ideas on meditation? 

Yours truly, 

Kristie  : ) 

fyte4acure 

November 23, 2005, 12:07 am CST

God Conciousness

To meditate for results one must meditate on God. If you do not meditate on God you will meditate aimlessly and achieve nothing more than temporary relaxation, but if you meditate on God and fill your conciousness with God then you will witness the reality of God for yourself. There is a free e-book about this, just request the free e-book "WITNESS THE REAL" from witnessthereal@yahoo.com

November 29, 2005, 10:38 pm CST

All for Yoga and Tai Chi. . . while pregnant

I did Yoga when I was pregnant with my first child and Tai Chi when I was pregnant with my second.  I found both of these experiences made my pregnancies much more relaxing and I had more energy.  My recovery time was also faster, even with having cesarians.  Doing these excersises is a good time to listen to your body and finding out what it needs.

December 7, 2005, 7:52 pm CST

Deep breathing sometimes hurts

Sometimes when I do deep breathing exercises it hurts, gives me sharp pains in my ribs and chest.  Any other ideas in meditation besides being physical and/or breathing?  So far I have two, praying and visualization.... I would love more ideas if you can give some.  Note:  I'm not looking for physical activity or stretching or deep breathing, because all can physically hurt me to do sometimes.  I'm looking for more mind meditation without the movement, deep breathing and stretching.  Any ideas? 

: ) 

December 7, 2005, 7:55 pm CST

Sometimes I can do deep breathing and sometimes I cannot

To clarify things... sometimes deep breathing does help, so as long as it is not causing me sharp pains in my ribs and chest.  Some days I can do it, and other days, OUCH!!!!! 

Any ideas on other forms of mind meditation sure would help!  : ) 

December 8, 2005, 8:05 am CST

You don't have to breathe deeply,

Quote From: fyte4acure

To clarify things... sometimes deep breathing does help, so as long as it is not causing me sharp pains in my ribs and chest.  Some days I can do it, and other days, OUCH!!!!! 

Any ideas on other forms of mind meditation sure would help!  : ) 

You don't have to breathe any way at all out of the ordinary. The object is to bring your thoughts back to a constant, which for us humans is breathing in and out. You practice bringing the mind back to the constant because it wanders hither and yon all too easily. In this way, you practice the fundamentals of deep meditation.

December 12, 2005, 7:11 pm CST

Meditation

Born and raised a catholic, try to be a Buddhist.

Classes I've been to (woman Lama – head Buddhist monk) taught, that in accordance with Buddhist principles:

meditation is undertaken to try to calm your mind.  The thoughts, the feelings.  To try to give your mind/brain a rest, in order to see reality.

To explain, Buddhists believe that emotions (7 i.e anger, jealousy, hatred etc) are the cause of your suffering.  If you can just stop (take a breather) then you (o.k, easier said then done) will be able to see clearer = less suffering.

If you can enter a state of mind that is not just hurt / reacting to how you feel, then you will be able to think clearer and feel better. 

Breathing?  Do whatever you need to do  - breath heavy, shallow, eyes open or closed.  However, whatever makes you feel "into it".  But be careful (1) you don't think about something i.e dinner / familiy etc. etc and/or (2) you don't fall asleep. 

Take from this what you will. 

xx

December 12, 2005, 8:25 pm CST

darn chest infection

Quote From: ritehere

You don't have to breathe any way at all out of the ordinary. The object is to bring your thoughts back to a constant, which for us humans is breathing in and out. You practice bringing the mind back to the constant because it wanders hither and yon all too easily. In this way, you practice the fundamentals of deep meditation.
im on antibiotics and now hopefully will be able to breath better after the infection is gone.  that will help me with meditation once again. I'm not into buddism, but thank you for the reply!  I shall take your advice rite!  : )

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last