Message Boards

Topic : Meditation and Yoga

Number of Replies: 140
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:04:02 am
Author : dataimport
For centuries, meditation and yoga have been used to calm the inner soul as well as strengthen the outer body. Share your experiences and advice.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 14, 2005, 8:13 am CST

Thank you so much!

Quote From: gessabean

Born and raised a catholic, try to be a Buddhist.

Classes I've been to (woman Lama – head Buddhist monk) taught, that in accordance with Buddhist principles:

meditation is undertaken to try to calm your mind.  The thoughts, the feelings.  To try to give your mind/brain a rest, in order to see reality.

To explain, Buddhists believe that emotions (7 i.e anger, jealousy, hatred etc) are the cause of your suffering.  If you can just stop (take a breather) then you (o.k, easier said then done) will be able to see clearer = less suffering.

If you can enter a state of mind that is not just hurt / reacting to how you feel, then you will be able to think clearer and feel better. 

Breathing?  Do whatever you need to do  - breath heavy, shallow, eyes open or closed.  However, whatever makes you feel "into it".  But be careful (1) you don't think about something i.e dinner / familiy etc. etc and/or (2) you don't fall asleep. 

Take from this what you will. 

xx

I've been doing some reading on Buddhism and looking for a meditation center close by. So far they are all too far away to attend regularly. I would like to participate in a more communal setting as my meditations so far have been self guided. I have always kept myself aside from religions, learning things about different ones without committing to any. In my life I've recieved a message that it doesn't matter what we believe, whether it's "real" or not "real", what counts is that we get the message, which is much the same in all the major religions. I was happy to find that Buddhism embraces this very concept! But it seems that Buddhism, like other religions, also has it's radical adherants. On the whole though, it's been a very rewarding experience. I also believe wholeheartedly in the teachings of Jesus Christ.

December 14, 2005, 11:53 am CST

Meditation, good for the soul

Quote From: ritehere

I've been doing some reading on Buddhism and looking for a meditation center close by. So far they are all too far away to attend regularly. I would like to participate in a more communal setting as my meditations so far have been self guided. I have always kept myself aside from religions, learning things about different ones without committing to any. In my life I've recieved a message that it doesn't matter what we believe, whether it's "real" or not "real", what counts is that we get the message, which is much the same in all the major religions. I was happy to find that Buddhism embraces this very concept! But it seems that Buddhism, like other religions, also has it's radical adherants. On the whole though, it's been a very rewarding experience. I also believe wholeheartedly in the teachings of Jesus Christ.
I think that it is very cool that you are learning about Buddhism.  I too, am not in an organized religion, but feel that meditation is something important for the soul.  I've never done meditation in a group, I don't think that I would like that so much.  I do it at home in front of my fireplace, my alter, or even outside under a big shady tree.  I have also done Tai Chi, which you may be interested in, it's also a good, relaxing workout.  It helped a lot when I was pregnant.  Keep up with it and good luck.

December 14, 2005, 3:28 pm CST

Tai Chi

Quote From: elffie

I think that it is very cool that you are learning about Buddhism.  I too, am not in an organized religion, but feel that meditation is something important for the soul.  I've never done meditation in a group, I don't think that I would like that so much.  I do it at home in front of my fireplace, my alter, or even outside under a big shady tree.  I have also done Tai Chi, which you may be interested in, it's also a good, relaxing workout.  It helped a lot when I was pregnant.  Keep up with it and good luck.

can you be so kind as to explain to me what Tai Chi is please? 

I like the idea that Bhuddism surrounds such as nature and being one with nature, or am I talking of another meditation/religion LOL!  I can't remember, but there are some things in Bhuddism that just do not work for me, same with Christianity.  I believe in God, and that's all that matters to me is to have a higher power!  I'm not into organized religion or cults.  But, I would like to hear more about the meditation practices of Bhuddism.  I hope I didn't spell Buddhism wrong the first two times, because I cannot change my spelling on here after posting LOL!  So much for my years of college and paper on all kinds of religions!  LOL! 

: ) 

December 14, 2005, 3:57 pm CST

Buhhda friendly

Quote From: fyte4acure

can you be so kind as to explain to me what Tai Chi is please? 

I like the idea that Bhuddism surrounds such as nature and being one with nature, or am I talking of another meditation/religion LOL!  I can't remember, but there are some things in Bhuddism that just do not work for me, same with Christianity.  I believe in God, and that's all that matters to me is to have a higher power!  I'm not into organized religion or cults.  But, I would like to hear more about the meditation practices of Bhuddism.  I hope I didn't spell Buddhism wrong the first two times, because I cannot change my spelling on here after posting LOL!  So much for my years of college and paper on all kinds of religions!  LOL! 

I'm not actually a Buhddist, although  I do have a litttle Buhhda on my bookshelf.  Hehehe.  But I do follow a religion that is Earth bound and nature friendly and that is not strict with rules, but open to different ways of celebrating life and the many seasons of the year.   I'm not an expert on Tai Chi, I only took the session while I was pregnant as a way to relax and be comfortable being so big!  But what I got from the instructor was that Tai Chi is a form of meditation.  They have a lot of poses and there is a lot of movement, it's putting mind and body to work.  I'm sure the internet would be of better help to you.  I would hate to tell you something that isn't correct.  I am suprised that you have studied religion, that is a good thing, as to which so many people don't know a lot of things about every religion.  I am definetly not into cults either!  LOL.  I am glad to know that you do beleive in something, so many people do not.  Believing something (if it  is good for the soul) is best for the soul. 

December 15, 2005, 9:02 am CST

I've considered Tai Chi before,

I'm not actually a Buhddist, although  I do have a litttle Buhhda on my bookshelf.  Hehehe.  But I do follow a religion that is Earth bound and nature friendly and that is not strict with rules, but open to different ways of celebrating life and the many seasons of the year.   I'm not an expert on Tai Chi, I only took the session while I was pregnant as a way to relax and be comfortable being so big!  But what I got from the instructor was that Tai Chi is a form of meditation.  They have a lot of poses and there is a lot of movement, it's putting mind and body to work.  I'm sure the internet would be of better help to you.  I would hate to tell you something that isn't correct.  I am suprised that you have studied religion, that is a good thing, as to which so many people don't know a lot of things about every religion.  I am definetly not into cults either!  LOL.  I am glad to know that you do beleive in something, so many people do not.  Believing something (if it  is good for the soul) is best for the soul. 
 Right now I'd like to join a yoga class, but haven't the funds at the moment. I used to do yoga as a teenager. I lived in a rural area, so it was self-taught, but I've always enjoyed the stretches and the quiet, inward emphasis. Tai Chi seems to be a variation of this type of exercise.

December 27, 2005, 8:00 am CST

Medditation not too bad

I HAVE BEEN MEDITATING ALL MY LIFE!  YOGA CAN BE A PROBLEM BUT WHE THE RIGHT TEACHER SHOWS UP ITS GREAT.  I USE A MOTORIZED WHEELCHAIR.  I'VE ALSO TAPPED INTO CHAI T(FORGOT THE SPELLING).  IT'S NOT TOO BAD FOR THE BUSY WORLD THAT WE LIVE IN.... BUT YOU GUYS WOULD KNOW BETTER IN THAT SUBJECT.  THERE ARE A LOT MORE PEOPLE LIVING IN CALIFORNIA THAN THE WHOLE OF THE YUKON.  OUR POPULATION IN THE WHOLE TERRITORY IS ABOUT 30,000 !

December 31, 2005, 7:43 am CST

Happy New Year everyone!

I find the best form of meditation for me is not Yoga, but instead it is music, my first love! 

I guess I'll not try to do things that don't work for me just because they work for others.  Yoga is just not my style, but I meditate through music, : ) 

January 5, 2006, 7:21 am CST

Music

Quote From: fyte4acure

I find the best form of meditation for me is not Yoga, but instead it is music, my first love! 

I guess I'll not try to do things that don't work for me just because they work for others.  Yoga is just not my style, but I meditate through music, : ) 

Music definatly has an impact on how you feel.  I listen to music all the time.  I am currently into Aqualung right now.  No, the Jethro Tull tune, Aqualung is a band from England and there music is totally hypnotic and relaxes me.  You should check it out on the website aqualung.net.  You can listen to there music there.  I recently went to go see a show of theirs and it was absolutely amazing!  One of my personal favorites.

January 16, 2006, 1:14 pm CST

Thanks for the website

Music definatly has an impact on how you feel.  I listen to music all the time.  I am currently into Aqualung right now.  No, the Jethro Tull tune, Aqualung is a band from England and there music is totally hypnotic and relaxes me.  You should check it out on the website aqualung.net.  You can listen to there music there.  I recently went to go see a show of theirs and it was absolutely amazing!  One of my personal favorites.

I shall watch it tonight when I have time to relax. 

February 8, 2006, 4:20 am CST

I recommend www.zenguide.com

Mr Phil Jackson,  Coach from Chicago,and Now in LA..  Believes in Zen.. 

This website, Has Humor, Teaches about Zen, and about life.  

Masters go to message boards, and reply. From all over the world. 

TC  John 

First | Prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last