Message Boards

Topic : Meditation and Yoga

Number of Replies: 140
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:04:02 am
Author : dataimport
For centuries, meditation and yoga have been used to calm the inner soul as well as strengthen the outer body. Share your experiences and advice.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 24, 2006, 2:04 pm CST

Mood swings

I am new to watching dr.phil and new to dr.phil.com 

he seems like a smart man and his fans must be smart so i thought i would give the message boards a try and see if anyone has any advice for me. 

In the last couple of months i notice that i have horrible mood swings. 

I can go from Happy to Mad to Furious in under 2 minutes depending on the situation. 

out of nowhere i burst out crying or i get mad for absolutely no reason at all. 

i watched the episode about bi-polar disorder but i dont think that a disorder like that could just show up in a few months..can it? 

anyways 

i was just wondering if anyone here had any advice to give me. 

March 27, 2006, 3:04 pm CST

Meditation and Yoga

Quote From: meagan_21

I am new to watching dr.phil and new to dr.phil.com 

he seems like a smart man and his fans must be smart so i thought i would give the message boards a try and see if anyone has any advice for me. 

In the last couple of months i notice that i have horrible mood swings. 

I can go from Happy to Mad to Furious in under 2 minutes depending on the situation. 

out of nowhere i burst out crying or i get mad for absolutely no reason at all. 

i watched the episode about bi-polar disorder but i dont think that a disorder like that could just show up in a few months..can it? 

anyways 

i was just wondering if anyone here had any advice to give me. 

May I ask, how old you are?  Is it possible it could be menopause?  If you are interested in healthy alternatives to regular medicine, and a healthier houshold, e-mail me at StefyWinger@hotmail.com, hopefully there's a solution for you.

April 11, 2006, 10:08 pm CDT

Sleeping Problems

I have a horrible time going to sleep. I toss and turn and get up and lay down. Then I turn the TV on and watch it a while. Then I turn the TV off and try again. I have tried listening to mood music and sounds. The thing that works best is the National Geographic Channel. That guys voice helps me more than anything else. I can do great all evening long and come time to sleep I can't seem to turn off my brain. I have stayed awake lately as long as 2 1/2 days without sleep. I don't tend to get sleepy at night but during the day I find myself wanting to dose off. I have tried going to bed at a certain time and getting up at a certain time. That did not work!  I think my body clock is off since I worked nights for year. My husband thinks I just worry too much about everyone and everything. Any idea on how I can get to a normal sleep pattern. Right now is it 12:11am and I'm not even sleepy.

April 15, 2006, 7:00 pm CDT

Yoga and Meditation - Finding the right studio

I wish to stress the importance of finding the right studio for someone wishing to begin or continue a Yoga and/or Meditation practice.

When I first started with Yoga (approximately three years ago), I was very lucky to find a good place, because I really didn’t know what to look for.

The instructors at my studio, Montreal’s Heaven and Earth Institute (www.heavenandearthyoga.ca), are excellent and bring a wealth of experience to their classes.

A typical yoga class at Heaven and Earth begins with Pranyama (Yogic breathing), which relaxes the mind and body.  Gentle stretches follow, and soft music begins to play in the background.  As the yoga postures (asanas) are introduced, the instructors guide their students with personalised attention and modify each participant so that all can enjoy a safe and benefical yoga practice.  Final relaxation (Shavasana) ends the class, leaving the students feeling relaxed and refreshed.

Consequently, it is important to find out how your teachers
are trained.  Some teachers get certified in a weekend, while others, like mine, go through years of rigorous training. You should feel confident that your teacher is informed and knows how to adjust people’s poses safely.

Experienced teachers, a comfortable space, and beautiful, soft music make my yoga class a pleasurable and relaxing experience.  I would therefore recommend that everybody looking to begin or continue practicing Yoga and/or Meditation find the right place by asking the right questions.

April 25, 2006, 3:24 pm CDT

Meditation and Yoga

Throughout, the trials and tribulations of life.   Yoga and Meditation can really help.   They give you focus, and many asanas can be helpful for many conditions, and they give you a sense of peace in your life.   I have been fortunate to have wonderful teachers who have guided me along the path.   I hope that you do too.  A good yoga practice each day combined with meditation to start your day, can make you a new person. 

April 28, 2006, 5:49 am CDT

Meditation and Yoga

I just started Ashtanga Yoga last week, I really like it but the next day I started feeling like I was coming down with the flu, for a week I have been fighting this and then last night went to yoga again. I did not sleep very well and I woke up feeling very sick but I was feeling like this yesterday afternoon. I'm not sure if it is from the yoga or just coincidence. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on this. I thought maybe I was releasing toxins from yoga. 

Laurie 

May 5, 2006, 4:44 am CDT

Yoga and Meditation

Quote From: lauriej

I just started Ashtanga Yoga last week, I really like it but the next day I started feeling like I was coming down with the flu, for a week I have been fighting this and then last night went to yoga again. I did not sleep very well and I woke up feeling very sick but I was feeling like this yesterday afternoon. I'm not sure if it is from the yoga or just coincidence. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on this. I thought maybe I was releasing toxins from yoga. 

Laurie 

I have been doing Yoga for only 2mths now, the whole time i cannot say that  i have felt 'sick' but some sessions certainly 'stretch the friendship' Yoga generally makes me sleep well... but well into the morning too i get really long deep sleeping sessions after a night at yoga. 

Perhaps your subconsciously making excuses... but more than likely i would say coincidence, I hope you can stick with it abit and get something out of it beneficial for yourself! :) 

I do have a question of my own however! I have been doing yoga as i said for two months twice a week for an hour each session. I started Yoga to as a health kick basically just to be more healthy and happy but i have started to lose weight and tone up too has anybody else found that yoga assists in weight loss, if so how much yoga were you doing to get good results? 

Peace to ya'll! 

Jayne 

May 5, 2006, 6:30 am CDT

Meditation and Yoga

Quote From: jayyne

I have been doing Yoga for only 2mths now, the whole time i cannot say that  i have felt 'sick' but some sessions certainly 'stretch the friendship' Yoga generally makes me sleep well... but well into the morning too i get really long deep sleeping sessions after a night at yoga. 

Perhaps your subconsciously making excuses... but more than likely i would say coincidence, I hope you can stick with it abit and get something out of it beneficial for yourself! :) 

I do have a question of my own however! I have been doing yoga as i said for two months twice a week for an hour each session. I started Yoga to as a health kick basically just to be more healthy and happy but i have started to lose weight and tone up too has anybody else found that yoga assists in weight loss, if so how much yoga were you doing to get good results? 

Peace to ya'll! 

Jayne 

I will stick with it for sure, I really like it. It might be just releasing toxins or getting my mind thinking too much. 

I have read that it can be good for weightloss and toning for sure, I have notice my butt is getting tighter and I have only done it 4 times in 2 weeks. Two of those times was only for 15 min, but the other 2 were for about 2 hours just because the lady that is teaching us is moving at the end of the month so we are trying to pack in lots before she leaves. 

What type of yoga are you doing? I am doing Ashtanga Yoga, it is more intense than Hatha yoga. 

Laurie 

May 17, 2006, 7:21 pm CDT

How To Meditate

I began meditating after reading several books and listening to guided meditations on cd.  Meditation is about centering oneself, focusing, and controlling the thoughts that enter our minds. Of course, you must relax as well.  When you can quiet your mind at will and let all the negative thoughts filter out and replace them with positive thoughts, you have become the master of yourself. There are many good books on the market today and I recommend several: The Power of NowBeing Nobody, Going Nowhere and a new book, The Five Enemies at Amazon.com or Iuniverse.com.   

I am on a new level.  Check them out.  

July 2, 2006, 9:45 am CDT

Yoga - A Really Good Way To Relax!!

Hello everyone!! ^_^ 

Just wanted to say that I have an anger problem and I used to hate being around people. 

But I have found a way for people that have the same problem as me, 

The answer is Yoga 

Yoga really relaxes your body and your mind and makes you calm down 15 times faster than anything else. 

Thanks for your time ^_^ 

First | Prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last