Message Boards

Topic : Meditation and Yoga

Number of Replies: 140
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:04:02 am
Author : dataimport
For centuries, meditation and yoga have been used to calm the inner soul as well as strengthen the outer body. Share your experiences and advice.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 10, 2006, 12:44 pm CDT

Yogo and Meditation

Hello everyone !!

I'm new here.

I would like to start yoga and Meditation because, I'm always stress out, and i have a hard time to concentrat at school.

I'm looking for good dvd so I can do it at home.

Tanks

August 11, 2006, 10:53 am CDT

Meditations

Hi there,

I'm meditating for a while now. I slowly started with easy ecxersises and it is reallly working out. I used to stress about many things and my mind never took a break for some rest. Now I do have some rest. Mind and Body.

Grtz

September 8, 2006, 1:44 pm CDT

Relax

Quote From: ladyhoss

I have a horrible time going to sleep. I toss and turn and get up and lay down. Then I turn the TV on and watch it a while. Then I turn the TV off and try again. I have tried listening to mood music and sounds. The thing that works best is the National Geographic Channel. That guys voice helps me more than anything else. I can do great all evening long and come time to sleep I can't seem to turn off my brain. I have stayed awake lately as long as 2 1/2 days without sleep. I don't tend to get sleepy at night but during the day I find myself wanting to dose off. I have tried going to bed at a certain time and getting up at a certain time. That did not work!  I think my body clock is off since I worked nights for year. My husband thinks I just worry too much about everyone and everything. Any idea on how I can get to a normal sleep pattern. Right now is it 12:11am and I'm not even sleepy.

Have you ever tried aroma therepy? That can make me relax. You can try bath and body works aroma therepy. They have scents that calm your body. You can try pillow spray too. I know you said you have tried to sleep and wake up at a regular time. You might want to try a routine before you go to bed that you do every night. Your body will catch on that when you do this its time to sleep. When you can't sleep you might want to get out of your bed and go to a different room. Staying in your room when you feel anxious and energized isn't a good thing.  Your body will start to connect those feelings to your room. I hope this is some help to you. I know how difficult it is to go without sleep and how frustrating it is that you can't sleep. If your room is messy that can also cause you to sleep bad. I'm not sure if this will help you but I hope it does. Even if it doesn't I hope it can make you relax. 

October 5, 2006, 11:52 pm CDT

Other Solutions

Quote From: wildchild17

Have you ever tried aroma therepy? That can make me relax. You can try bath and body works aroma therepy. They have scents that calm your body. You can try pillow spray too. I know you said you have tried to sleep and wake up at a regular time. You might want to try a routine before you go to bed that you do every night. Your body will catch on that when you do this its time to sleep. When you can't sleep you might want to get out of your bed and go to a different room. Staying in your room when you feel anxious and energized isn't a good thing.  Your body will start to connect those feelings to your room. I hope this is some help to you. I know how difficult it is to go without sleep and how frustrating it is that you can't sleep. If your room is messy that can also cause you to sleep bad. I'm not sure if this will help you but I hope it does. Even if it doesn't I hope it can make you relax. 

I have the same problem... I think my natural body clock is set on being more of an evening person... and I have a hard time turning off my thoughts at night because, of course, that's when everything is quiet and I'm alone with them. I used to use sleeping pills, but they can become quite addictive, so I now try other things...

Of course regular exercise and yoga are helpful, but I still am quite the night owl (and like you, I find myself sleepy during the day). A hot bath at night is a great start...especially with some lavender bubble bath or calming bath salts.... it relaxes the body and mind. I stay out of my bedroom until I'm ready to go to sleep... sometimes I read for a little while and that usually gets my thoughts off of my own worries and quiets my mind. If I'm still not sleepy, I take a melatonin pill. It's a natural chemical that our brain produces and since some of us aren't sleepy when we should be, it's a great way to avoid man-made, addictive chemicals in order to get a good night's sleep. I sleep much better now and wake up without feeilng groggy (like I did with sleeping pills). Good luck!!

October 6, 2006, 12:01 am CDT

Where to start...

Quote From: groleau

Hello everyone !!

I'm new here.

I would like to start yoga and Meditation because, I'm always stress out, and i have a hard time to concentrat at school.

I'm looking for good dvd so I can do it at home.

Tanks

OMG, there are so many great DVD's out there! If you're truly a beginner at yoga, I would recommend starting with a simple work-out that's not to strenous. I recently purchased one called, "Healing Yoga For Common Conditions" for the days when I need an easier work out or if I haven't done yoga in a while...it's a great way to ease into it. There's also a series called "A.M. and P.M. Yoga for Beginners." Those are good ones to start with. Once you're more comfortable, MTV actually produces a few good Power Yoga DVD's and Baron Baptiste is good..but they're fairly tough. Good luck, yoga's great!!

December 15, 2006, 3:03 pm CST

green tea

Does anyone know the name of the green tea that Robin recently recommended on the show? Thanks.

December 15, 2006, 3:41 pm CST

Green Tea

Quote From: kbeyah

Does anyone know the name of the green tea that Robin recently recommended on the show? Thanks.
Here's what she said on the show:

"I found a line I absolutely love. It’s called Beautilities, and it’s very inexpensive. Everyone can afford it."

Robin continues, "They also have this green tea. You can put a drop or two in eight ounces of water, and it’s equivalent to 15 cups of green tea. It includes no caffeine, and it includes all the antioxidants that you’d want to get from green tea." 

March 9, 2007, 3:11 am CST

meditation

Learning  to embrace Silence, through the practice of meditation, has been life altering for me. Although chaos outside rages on, ie: media bombarding us with negativity. The inner sanctuary of Knowing where we come from and who we really are brings peace. Through meditation, we discover that we are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a "human experience". Namaste

May 2, 2007, 9:05 am CDT

positive posters

I am so happy to see so many positive experiences shared about meditation and yoga. Honestly when I saw the link I feared there would be alot of negative comments from religious posters.

I have been a massage therapist for over 10 years and have practiced Iyengar yoga and meditation regularly. It has integrated well with my belief system and given me much peace.

About 2 years ago an acquaintance in formed me that many sects of the christian church are discouraging their followers from these practices believing they are associated with the devil (please spare me). This person said to them that meditation was dangerous because it leaves your mind too open for satan and that practicing yoga was akin to worshiping false gods or the self.

Of course I found this utterly rediculous and informed them that many christians practice yoga and meditation and use it to strengthen their bond with god as they understand him. There is a beautiful retreat center in my area run by Franciscan nuns and they regularly hold yoga and meditation classes.

I hope anyone curious will take in all of these positive responses and decide for them selves.

May 25, 2007, 8:06 pm CDT

Hello

Hello!

As an active practitioner of meditation I hope to both offer to, and receive insight from the members of this forum. Although my particular practice is anchored in Tibetan Buddhism, I also attend a weekly group in which discussion and practice of various meditation "styles" are encouraged - Christian, Hindu, Zen, Sufi, etc. - all with the same goal in mind.

I am looking forward to productive and compassionate discussions with all!

First | Prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last