Message Boards

Topic : Meditation and Yoga

Number of Replies: 140
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:04:02 am
Author : dataimport
For centuries, meditation and yoga have been used to calm the inner soul as well as strengthen the outer body. Share your experiences and advice.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 22, 2005, 8:12 pm CDT

Thank you,

Quote From: moonrain1

Hello everyone!  

I really enjoyed reading the previous spiritual conversation.  I only wish to clarify one aspect. Male witches are called exactly that; there are female and male witches. Warlock is a very negative term that some people like to call themselves for shock value and has no place in the religious aspect of things.  To call a male witch a warlock would be an insult, I would hate for you to be judged for a very harmless misunderstanding :)  

I have adventured upon this topic in search of a way to calm my mind.  I would really like to attempt to use meditation and/or yoga. I have been told to get up early and use that time as my special time for meditation away from the kids, but I'm not a morning person. I am afraid i will fall back to sleep while meditation. Anyone with toddlers able to give me some pointers about how to find peaceful times in the day to try  meditation or yoga.    

Hope everyone is well and talk to you all soon. Blessed Be. 

For the instruction. It's difficult to know how to answer when the person who demands an answer can't clarify what they are talking about.
Do the toddlers take a nap at the same time? This might be a good time to try. Or even if you have to start in the evenings or weekends when you have relief from child duties.
My favorite time is on the treadmill. Instead of all the usual "tapes" that run through your head, like "this is boring," or "just 5 minutes more!" I go into my head, and the exercise becomes truly enjoyable. Good luck to you.

August 23, 2005, 4:06 am CDT

FYI

Quote From: ritehere

For the instruction. It's difficult to know how to answer when the person who demands an answer can't clarify what they are talking about.
Do the toddlers take a nap at the same time? This might be a good time to try. Or even if you have to start in the evenings or weekends when you have relief from child duties.
My favorite time is on the treadmill. Instead of all the usual "tapes" that run through your head, like "this is boring," or "just 5 minutes more!" I go into my head, and the exercise becomes truly enjoyable. Good luck to you.

WARLOCKS = OATHBREAKERS

August 25, 2005, 7:54 am CDT

It's a new day!

Just needed to post this. I've been struggling with some inner problems for the last 2 weeks. It has to do with a spiritual quest I took a month ago, and I had not assimilated the lessons needed to take from it.
I let things get to me, and used other's as an excuse for my impatience.
However, during my quiet time yesterday morning, my authentic voice spoke up loud and clear. The message is always a simple one, but it "hits" on an emotional level. It's usually something that I know intellectually, but never registered deep in my soul. The emotional uplifting and relief I felt was tremendous.
This is the value of meditation. It opens you to hear your authentic voice when it speaks.

August 25, 2005, 12:22 pm CDT

Im glad you changed your icon

Just needed to post this. I've been struggling with some inner problems for the last 2 weeks. It has to do with a spiritual quest I took a month ago, and I had not assimilated the lessons needed to take from it.
I let things get to me, and used other's as an excuse for my impatience.
However, during my quiet time yesterday morning, my authentic voice spoke up loud and clear. The message is always a simple one, but it "hits" on an emotional level. It's usually something that I know intellectually, but never registered deep in my soul. The emotional uplifting and relief I felt was tremendous.
This is the value of meditation. It opens you to hear your authentic voice when it speaks.
rainbows equals Jesus is coming again....Very good...

August 26, 2005, 6:52 am CDT

Mindfulness

In a busy life, people have trouble justifying meditation. There's really no need to set up a ritual about it at all. You can begin by practicing being in the moment. We've all heard this before, but rarely do we practice it. For instance, how many times do we read the paper, or the back of the cereal box, or watch TV, while we're eating? Many of us who have battled weight problems know that this is a major trigger to overeat. It's called "mindless" eating.
How many other activities do we go about during the day with our minds somewhere else?
Mindfulness is just what the name implies. When you eat, be present, taste, smell, and feel the food, appreciate it and what it does for you. When you're going about your daily routine, practice focusing on the task you are doing, without letting your mind wander to other places, concerns, worries, plans.
Meditation is just the next step, to consciously just be, without the need to be doing.

August 28, 2005, 11:37 am CDT

I do hope your not thinking....

In a busy life, people have trouble justifying meditation. There's really no need to set up a ritual about it at all. You can begin by practicing being in the moment. We've all heard this before, but rarely do we practice it. For instance, how many times do we read the paper, or the back of the cereal box, or watch TV, while we're eating? Many of us who have battled weight problems know that this is a major trigger to overeat. It's called "mindless" eating.
How many other activities do we go about during the day with our minds somewhere else?
Mindfulness is just what the name implies. When you eat, be present, taste, smell, and feel the food, appreciate it and what it does for you. When you're going about your daily routine, practice focusing on the task you are doing, without letting your mind wander to other places, concerns, worries, plans.
Meditation is just the next step, to consciously just be, without the need to be doing.
your speaking to me do you?  Happy trails to you...I am wondering though really as the GREAT Dr. Phil says what is "YOUR pay off to this world for providing this information out to the general public?  Then I will say goodbye finally to you....Can you give me that at least?  Or will you not answer that one either GREAT GRASSHOPPER?  Just wondering  tata///

August 29, 2005, 9:29 am CDT

Labelfree,

Quote From: labelfree

your speaking to me do you?  Happy trails to you...I am wondering though really as the GREAT Dr. Phil says what is "YOUR pay off to this world for providing this information out to the general public?  Then I will say goodbye finally to you....Can you give me that at least?  Or will you not answer that one either GREAT GRASSHOPPER?  Just wondering  tata///
 No, I'm not talking to you.

August 29, 2005, 9:39 am CDT

Sometimes,

It can be difficult to step back from our lives, to see the wider view. I used to think that nobody around me hurt as badly as I did. Reading some of the posts on these boards can quickly give you a different perspective on that. Suffering is all around us, and the ones who seem to be happiest are the ones who have learned that suffering can be managed, and that our lives can have equal measures of peace and happiness.
Meditation can help us to find the peace, by opening us to the workings of our mind, and how we continue to let our past affect our present and future.

August 30, 2005, 7:02 pm CDT

Giving meditation a try.

It can be difficult to step back from our lives, to see the wider view. I used to think that nobody around me hurt as badly as I did. Reading some of the posts on these boards can quickly give you a different perspective on that. Suffering is all around us, and the ones who seem to be happiest are the ones who have learned that suffering can be managed, and that our lives can have equal measures of peace and happiness.
Meditation can help us to find the peace, by opening us to the workings of our mind, and how we continue to let our past affect our present and future.

Thank you for the advice on finding time for meditation and changing the "tapes" in my head.  I feel that there are too many "tapes" and not enough room or the completely wrong "tapes" to begin with. I don't think that i have any coping skills because i always feel overwhelmed with emotion or worry about anything and everything.  I am looking into meditation to try and calm my mind and find inner peace so i can cope with everything around me.  I not only find myself worrying about laundry, raising kids etc, but also worldly problems that i have no control over. I thought i had Adult ADD at first but then i saw the show about it and that's not it...maybe obsessive worrying which makes me nonfunctional sometimes. I'm a hoarder like the people i saw on the show today because i cannot throw things away (it runs in my family..example, i moved into my grandparents house after they passed away and am living with not only their stuff but my mom and aunt's old toys and great- grandparent's stuff..i am willing to go through it since no one else will but my mom doesn't want me to throw anything away...ugh) and i lack the motivation to start tidying up because it doesn't seem to look any better ( i think i just move the piles around and throw SOME things away) so i get overwhelmed once again and quit, leaving the house a wreck still for days till i get another urge to clean. This is a neverending cycle. I am so happy with my immediate family life, loving husband, two wonderful toddlers and one on the way, i know my spiritual path, yet i seem so unhappy about everything else and i don't know WHY! Maybe i need to stop being so unselfish and pay a little more attention to me before i lose myself. I will try and use my relief from the kids on nights and weekends by my wonderful husband for myself instead of housework... and work on meditation because i know it can help, i just need to do it.  Thank you for listening and Blessed Be.

August 30, 2005, 7:28 pm CDT

Moonrain1

A book that helped me tremendously was Dr Phil's SELF MATTERS. It can be a very difficult book to get through, even scary. But if you're willing to REALLY get to the nitty gritty and turn your life around, it can be indispensable. There are some wonderful people on the Authentic Self board that can help you get through it if you have any questions along the way.
I'm branching out into the world and will not be posting much in the foreseeable future. I need to get a job after many years of raising my children. I was fortunate that my husband made enough money to enable me to stay home with them. My youngest will be going off to college next year, and I need to help pay for that so we don't run up debt. In addition to that, I'll be taking on some volunteer work in the community. I've learned alot on these boards, posting to help others has helped me even more, I think. But it's time to move into the real world and relate to others face to face.
I'll be back from time to time to see how it goes on this board. I'm hoping others post, as I see so many good applications for meditation in life.
Good luck, and make time for yourself. After all, who else will?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last