Message Boards

Topic : Meditation and Yoga

Number of Replies: 140
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:04:02 am
Author : dataimport
For centuries, meditation and yoga have been used to calm the inner soul as well as strengthen the outer body. Share your experiences and advice.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 17, 2005, 9:13 am CDT

for real?

Quote From: weemousie

I don't know if this falls into the category of Meditation and Yoga but ...

I have Fibromyalgia.  The doctor wanted me to take anti-inflammatory medication, anti-depressants, sleeping pills and muscle relaxers.  I'm not a pill person so I refused and went about searching for an alternative method to deal with this condition.

I often listen to my body as it usually lets me know what I need to do to help it.  The message my body was giving me was to try guided imagery as a means to eliminate the pain.  So I went searching online and found a CD for Fibromyalgia that was made by a Psychotherapist by the name of Belleruth Naparstek.  She has worked with trauma victims of 9/11 and the Gulf War, etc. 

I am of the beief that Fibromyalgia is trauma (either physical or emotional or both) that has lodged in our cellular structure.  I purchased the CD online and from the first day of listening to it I have not had a flare up of the Fibromyalgia.  Sounds like a winner to me.

Just thought I'd post this in the chance that someone will read it and perhaps find this will help them.

I have had Firobromyalgia for 5 years and have explored many traditional and alternate ways to work with this condition.  I am very temped to purchase this CD you are referring to, but am having an extremely difficult time in believing one day of listening to a CD would prevent any further flares, if this is truly the condition you have.  Sounds like another "miracle cure".  I hope that you are in no way connected with financially benefiting from promoting this CD.  If so, shame on you, as there are many individuals taking advantage of people who are suffering and willing to try almost anything to relieve their pain and looking for hope.

October 17, 2005, 10:39 am CDT

Give Aquatic Bodywork a try

Quote From: nancyll

I have had Firobromyalgia for 5 years and have explored many traditional and alternate ways to work with this condition.  I am very temped to purchase this CD you are referring to, but am having an extremely difficult time in believing one day of listening to a CD would prevent any further flares, if this is truly the condition you have.  Sounds like another "miracle cure".  I hope that you are in no way connected with financially benefiting from promoting this CD.  If so, shame on you, as there are many individuals taking advantage of people who are suffering and willing to try almost anything to relieve their pain and looking for hope.
Aquatic Bodywork, Watershiatsu or Watsu is known to be especially helpful with Fibromyalgia. Floating in a warm therapy pool with the help of a professional, experienced therapist is worth a try. Find more information at WABA, World Wide Aquatic Bodywork Association. Let the healing qualities of water support you in your search for a better quality life.

October 17, 2005, 10:48 am CDT

Try an aquatic work out for joint problems

Quote From: fyte4acure

Dear Angel, 

Go to your local YMCA, ask for a scholarship if you cannot afford one.  They have Yoga classes "for cheap" for members.  If you mention in your scholarship about having arthritis, they can hook you up to certain classes that will benefit your pain. 

I don't know a whole lot about Yoga, but I do know some of the moves, like the one where my butt goes up in the air and my feet are behind my head with my legs being straight.  It helps me to stretch my back. 

Kristie : ) 

fyte4acure 

I heard of an Arthritis Association offering Aquatic Work outs for their members. Water relieves pressure on joints and is very beneficial with joint problems. The Community Colleges also offer very reasonable classes in a wide variety, some in the water too. Take care to go to an experienced teacher since strenuous Yoga positions done improperly could harm more then help. Pilates is an exercise style that is based on Yoga and very popular now. I recommend it because of its clear focus on proper alignment and its focus on intrinsic musculature.

October 17, 2005, 12:52 pm CDT

book for $6??

Quote From: ritehere

Have you got the book yet? I'm glad to hear that you are serious about "awakening". Still not working. I haven't worked outside the home for 18 years, and it seems the combination of getting behind in computer skills and my age is making it more difficult. I spent some time feeling sorry for myself, then gave myself the mental kick I deserved.
It's been an eventful month, I hope you don't have loved ones that were caught in Katrina or Rita. I have relatives in Houston, but all are OK.
Have you been practicing mindfullness or making time to meditate? They are really two sides of the same coin.
Be Well.

Hi, are you the person who said you found a book for $6.00 If so, I would like the name of that book please n thx 

October 17, 2005, 7:39 pm CDT

Impermanence

Quote From: ritehere

I've been thinking about my own question, meditating on it while on my treadmill. Impermanence is nothing more than the truth that everything changes. Throughout our lives, nothing stays the same. We all grow old and die, nobody has ever escaped that. For some of us, me included, I have always fought this, trying to make things a certain way, and not let them change. When something bad happens, or when I'm working on a project, I always want the world to stop till I'm ready to go on. It just doesn't work that way. This is the concept of impermanence, the great truth I've been struggling with.
I've  come to the conclusion that  this is why meditation is so important. The one unchangeable aspect of ourselves can be our guiding principles, and ethics. If there's anybody out there with some input, I'd love to hear it.
Nothing escapes change or death. We all grow old and get hair in our ears and nose and wrinkles under our eyes. Accepting this certainly makes life easier and funnier. i enjoy all of the changes and am actually excited to see them occur. I know that is hard to swallow but when you reach that point, life is so much easier. All you can do to make life as easy as possible is to accept the ultimate truth in impermanence and to work for all others and never for yourself. you will get it back ten-fold. Nothing makes me happier than to please others. Once you accept impermanence, a loved one's death, an unexpected illness, and many other tragedies are easier to accept. It doesn't mean we don't mourn or feel sad. It just means we understand that these things occur no matter what we do to prevent them. 

October 18, 2005, 9:17 am CDT

Ah, water aerobics!

Quote From: olauomita

I heard of an Arthritis Association offering Aquatic Work outs for their members. Water relieves pressure on joints and is very beneficial with joint problems. The Community Colleges also offer very reasonable classes in a wide variety, some in the water too. Take care to go to an experienced teacher since strenuous Yoga positions done improperly could harm more then help. Pilates is an exercise style that is based on Yoga and very popular now. I recommend it because of its clear focus on proper alignment and its focus on intrinsic musculature.

Yes, the YMCA also works with the Arthritis foundation to have water -aerobics. 

I feel out of place in those classes.  Most are twice my age and I'm skinny as a toothpick compared to them.  It's no insult, but more of a fact, and they look at me and wonder why I'm there.  Plus the exercises bore me to death.  I guess I'll stick with my bike rides and swimming laps.  I was just trying to suggest to another that they do have Yoga classes if she is interested. 

Thanks anyway for the advice, but no water aerobics for me, it would bore me to death.  I could be the teacher and give them all heart attacks and pains.  I have to stay more active than that. 

Yours truly, 

fyte4acure 

October 18, 2005, 10:45 am CDT

HELLO KRISTIE.....

Dear Angel, 

Go to your local YMCA, ask for a scholarship if you cannot afford one.  They have Yoga classes "for cheap" for members.  If you mention in your scholarship about having arthritis, they can hook you up to certain classes that will benefit your pain. 

I don't know a whole lot about Yoga, but I do know some of the moves, like the one where my butt goes up in the air and my feet are behind my head with my legs being straight.  It helps me to stretch my back. 

fyte4acure 

How are you doing?   Thank you so much for the information. 

Peace & Blessings 

October 18, 2005, 3:33 pm CDT

As best as expected

Quote From: angelmary

Peace & Blessings 

Thanks for asking... I'm doing as best as can be expected, aka, Miserable.  Trying to cope.  Looking for more advice on meditation.  Trying to keep smiling.  No money, no insurance, got a stupid illness no one knows anything about, yet all the docs want to group every symptom as the illness, and then they don't have to deal with finding me relief.  Same old same old.  Got an infection I'm fighting off, urinary tract infection.  Keep getting them at least five times a year, and I'm a really hygenic person, so all the advice on not getting them doesn't help.  i think my pain meds have caused the repeated infections, so now I'm trying to do without the meds.  Meditation is something I need but just doesn't come easy for me. 

Thanks, 

fight4acure 

October 18, 2005, 3:35 pm CDT

Keeping busy

Quote From: angelmary

Peace & Blessings 

Keeping busy is about all I can do to keep from losing my mind regarding the pains from my illnesses. 

Trying to find a good meditation practice. 

fyte4acure 

October 18, 2005, 5:32 pm CDT

Hello Kristie......

Thanks for asking... I'm doing as best as can be expected, aka, Miserable.  Trying to cope.  Looking for more advice on meditation.  Trying to keep smiling.  No money, no insurance, got a stupid illness no one knows anything about, yet all the docs want to group every symptom as the illness, and then they don't have to deal with finding me relief.  Same old same old.  Got an infection I'm fighting off, urinary tract infection.  Keep getting them at least five times a year, and I'm a really hygenic person, so all the advice on not getting them doesn't help.  i think my pain meds have caused the repeated infections, so now I'm trying to do without the meds.  Meditation is something I need but just doesn't come easy for me. 

Thanks, 

fight4acure 

I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling well.  I just recently joined this group so please be patient with me. Sometimes i have a hard time  getting my messages. Well you know i have bladder infections sometimes. I usually drink cranberry juice and if that doesn't work i go to the doctor. You may need to go to the doctor to get some antibiodics. I hope you start to feeling better. Girl i am suffering with arthritis. It is getting cold here in Tn. and that is not good for my illness. I am going to try and exercise before i go to bed tonight. You know i have been through a lot also and meditation is something i need also and it doesn't come easy for me. I guess i have to much stuff on my mind. 

So, Kristie take good care of your self and i will keep you in my prayers. 

Peace & Blessings 

AngelMary 

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last