Message Boards

Topic : Meditation and Yoga

Number of Replies: 140
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:04:02 am
Author : dataimport
For centuries, meditation and yoga have been used to calm the inner soul as well as strengthen the outer body. Share your experiences and advice.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 18, 2005, 9:25 pm CDT

AngelMary

Quote From: angelmary

I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling well.  I just recently joined this group so please be patient with me. Sometimes i have a hard time  getting my messages. Well you know i have bladder infections sometimes. I usually drink cranberry juice and if that doesn't work i go to the doctor. You may need to go to the doctor to get some antibiodics. I hope you start to feeling better. Girl i am suffering with arthritis. It is getting cold here in Tn. and that is not good for my illness. I am going to try and exercise before i go to bed tonight. You know i have been through a lot also and meditation is something i need also and it doesn't come easy for me. I guess i have to much stuff on my mind. 

So, Kristie take good care of your self and i will keep you in my prayers. 

Peace & Blessings 

AngelMary 

Thanks for your quick response.  Yes, I'm on Cypro, an antibiotic.  It's miserable.  Anyway, I am also quitting smoking and all the caffeine habits I have.  I'm doing a little too much at once.  Maybe I'll pick up on the caffeine after the infection is gone, but I hope I never return to the cigarettes.  I've been pretty moody coming off them as I used them as a tool to calm myself.  Now to find other meditation practices, as I really do need something else, something healthy, to fall back on, especially with my illnesses, fibro and other things they've wonderfully diagnosed me as having.  I can't keep returning to the cigarettes, because it's causing my body more harm than good, and I've learned this with the many UTIs.  Got to take care of myself.  I am typing on here to ask for advice in meditation.  I don't need exercise advice because I do plenty of that.  I just need some meditation advice.  Why is it so hard to set up a specific time of day, a specific method of meditation?  I hope I never return to the cigarettes and focus on my internal energies.  Okay, enough venting.  I think I'll head to the quit smoking message board, but then it will only remind me of the cravings, ha ha!  Urgh!  Plus I found out that my blood pressure is way low.  Avg is under normal.  It explains my dizziness and problems with balance and stuff.  I'm getting this checked out.  At least the heart doc will not gripe about my smoking as I am quitting.  I'm down to one cig a day... and soon to no cigs. 

Thanks for asking, How have you been doing Angel?  It sure is nice in Wisconsin.  the 60's weather is pretty decent around October.  It's not typical October weather.  I have never figured out how it could be cold south of Wisconsin, but, ha ha , i suppose if you're not use to cold winters, of below freezing weather, it could very well be cold to you in Tennessee.  Take care!  Write back! 

Kristie : ) 

fyte4acure 

October 19, 2005, 8:40 am CDT

I think...

Quote From: morrison4

Hi, are you the person who said you found a book for $6.00 If so, I would like the name of that book please n thx 

You are referring to a book mentioned by Labelfree called MY FIRST BOOK OF YOGA by Miranda Morgan.  She said she had bought it at Barnes and Noble for less than $6.

The book I had mentioned in my reply to moonrain1 was Dr Phil's SELF MATTERS.

October 19, 2005, 8:46 am CDT

Thank you.

Quote From: pastro

Nothing escapes change or death. We all grow old and get hair in our ears and nose and wrinkles under our eyes. Accepting this certainly makes life easier and funnier. i enjoy all of the changes and am actually excited to see them occur. I know that is hard to swallow but when you reach that point, life is so much easier. All you can do to make life as easy as possible is to accept the ultimate truth in impermanence and to work for all others and never for yourself. you will get it back ten-fold. Nothing makes me happier than to please others. Once you accept impermanence, a loved one's death, an unexpected illness, and many other tragedies are easier to accept. It doesn't mean we don't mourn or feel sad. It just means we understand that these things occur no matter what we do to prevent them. 
 I appreciate a response to this post I made so long ago. It's not so much the aging part of impermance that gets to me. I'm 48, and I don't care if my hair is getting gray and I've developed a few character lines on my face. For me life began at 40.

At the time I wrote that post I was coming to grips with my husband and his penchant for constant change. I thought we had reached a point where things would calm down, but no, he thrives on turning our world upside down occassionally.

I will say this, it ain't been dull!

October 21, 2005, 8:59 am CDT

Impermanence

Quote From: ritehere

I appreciate a response to this post I made so long ago. It's not so much the aging part of impermance that gets to me. I'm 48, and I don't care if my hair is getting gray and I've developed a few character lines on my face. For me life began at 40.

At the time I wrote that post I was coming to grips with my husband and his penchant for constant change. I thought we had reached a point where things would calm down, but no, he thrives on turning our world upside down occassionally.

I will say this, it ain't been dull!

And no doubt he won't listen to your understanding of what brings happiness (and we both know that isn't constant change) so on and on he goes searching for it. Well, I think as long as he doesn't disrespect your point of view and your marriage is stable and fun and good, what the heck...let him ride it out. Some find it earlier than others...lol. I was in my early forties when I discovered what makes me truly happy. 

October 21, 2005, 4:32 pm CDT

Update!

Quote From: fyte4acure

Thanks for your quick response.  Yes, I'm on Cypro, an antibiotic.  It's miserable.  Anyway, I am also quitting smoking and all the caffeine habits I have.  I'm doing a little too much at once.  Maybe I'll pick up on the caffeine after the infection is gone, but I hope I never return to the cigarettes.  I've been pretty moody coming off them as I used them as a tool to calm myself.  Now to find other meditation practices, as I really do need something else, something healthy, to fall back on, especially with my illnesses, fibro and other things they've wonderfully diagnosed me as having.  I can't keep returning to the cigarettes, because it's causing my body more harm than good, and I've learned this with the many UTIs.  Got to take care of myself.  I am typing on here to ask for advice in meditation.  I don't need exercise advice because I do plenty of that.  I just need some meditation advice.  Why is it so hard to set up a specific time of day, a specific method of meditation?  I hope I never return to the cigarettes and focus on my internal energies.  Okay, enough venting.  I think I'll head to the quit smoking message board, but then it will only remind me of the cravings, ha ha!  Urgh!  Plus I found out that my blood pressure is way low.  Avg is under normal.  It explains my dizziness and problems with balance and stuff.  I'm getting this checked out.  At least the heart doc will not gripe about my smoking as I am quitting.  I'm down to one cig a day... and soon to no cigs. 

Thanks for asking, How have you been doing Angel?  It sure is nice in Wisconsin.  the 60's weather is pretty decent around October.  It's not typical October weather.  I have never figured out how it could be cold south of Wisconsin, but, ha ha , i suppose if you're not use to cold winters, of below freezing weather, it could very well be cold to you in Tennessee.  Take care!  Write back! 

fyte4acure 

Not totally up to par yet,  

Good news!  My UTI is clear!  No more infections!  Yeah! 

But the Cipro did a huge number on my stomach and intestinal tract.  Pain!  My nurse practitioner who I respect very highly because she is very direct and gets down to business and is very respectful of me, treats me human, gave me some Prevacid for my stomach that has been on fire for the last three days.  Cipro can burn up ones stomach badly.  Just waiting for it to clear.  Guess a few more days with this pain and hopefully by Monday it will be gone.   

Meditation is really hard to focus on when pain is so much.  I'm looking for any ideas.  Music helps, sleep helps, but nothing takes away the pain.  I don't want to take pain meds anymore.  What meditations do you suggest?  I have no health insurance and cannot afford a professional meditation therapist.  Anyone else going through tough times in meditation while being in lots of pain?  Will listen to any suggestion! 

fight4acure 

October 27, 2005, 8:18 am CDT

Worth while to explore slow, non-linear movement

Yes, the YMCA also works with the Arthritis foundation to have water -aerobics. 

I feel out of place in those classes.  Most are twice my age and I'm skinny as a toothpick compared to them.  It's no insult, but more of a fact, and they look at me and wonder why I'm there.  Plus the exercises bore me to death.  I guess I'll stick with my bike rides and swimming laps.  I was just trying to suggest to another that they do have Yoga classes if she is interested. 

Thanks anyway for the advice, but no water aerobics for me, it would bore me to death.  I could be the teacher and give them all heart attacks and pains.  I have to stay more active than that. 

Yours truly, 

fyte4acure 

Sorry the water work outs were boring to you. Swimming is great but water does offer a great opportunity for releasing and for mirroring the limitations of ones body. So it is worth while to slow down and pay close attention and move in an exploratory manner (non-linear, twisting and undulating the spine) so as to create more space and mobility.

October 27, 2005, 12:30 pm CDT

Again, ha ha, I'm looking for meditation advice, not exercise advice!

Quote From: olauomita

Sorry the water work outs were boring to you. Swimming is great but water does offer a great opportunity for releasing and for mirroring the limitations of ones body. So it is worth while to slow down and pay close attention and move in an exploratory manner (non-linear, twisting and undulating the spine) so as to create more space and mobility.

Again, I'm looking for meditation advice, not exercise advice.... 

If anyone has any meditational suggestions, please feel free to share them. 

Thank you, 

fight4acure 

October 30, 2005, 3:01 pm CST

Don't discount this!

Again, I'm looking for meditation advice, not exercise advice.... 

If anyone has any meditational suggestions, please feel free to share them. 

Thank you, 

fight4acure 

It's possible that the class you were in was not right for you, not the exercises themselves. Slow movements in a supportive environment like water can lead to some very productive meditative experiences. Meditation does not need to take place in a completely controlled environment. All it takes is to become aware of your movements, and the way your body is responding and feeling in each given moment. Sometimes to come to terms with pain, we must accept it and explore it.

I'm not an expert on this, I'm not an instructor, what I have learned is through my own experience and willingness to try different things. Some of my best insights have come through the medium of exercise, lately on the treadmill.

October 30, 2005, 3:03 pm CST

I'm curious,

Quote From: olauomita

Do you practice yoga?

October 30, 2005, 10:47 pm CST

I exercise all the time! Pain doesn't stop me... just slows me down

Quote From: ritehere

It's possible that the class you were in was not right for you, not the exercises themselves. Slow movements in a supportive environment like water can lead to some very productive meditative experiences. Meditation does not need to take place in a completely controlled environment. All it takes is to become aware of your movements, and the way your body is responding and feeling in each given moment. Sometimes to come to terms with pain, we must accept it and explore it.

I'm not an expert on this, I'm not an instructor, what I have learned is through my own experience and willingness to try different things. Some of my best insights have come through the medium of exercise, lately on the treadmill.

I exercise all the time.  Pain doesn't stop me, it just slows me down. 

I have found that dancing in slow, controlled movements in my shower really helps me, especially with the hot water sprinkling down on my stiff muscles and tendons.  That is relaxing. 

But, I want something more, like a mind meditation.  I am looking for something other than the exercise I do.  I am looking for some meditation that helps ease my mind, without exercise. 

Thank you for your reply!  I appreciate it!  If you or anyone else comes up with some mind meditation that is done without exercise, please let me know.  I'm looking for some meditation I can do when I'm relaxing in my bed, without having to move. 

Yours truly, 

fight4acure 

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last