Message Boards

Topic : Meditation and Yoga

Number of Replies: 140
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:04:02 am
Author : dataimport
For centuries, meditation and yoga have been used to calm the inner soul as well as strengthen the outer body. Share your experiences and advice.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 25, 2005, 4:20 pm CDT

Ah Today!!!!

Instead of smoking yukkie stinky cigarettes I get a deep tissue one hour massage.  This is a special weekly treat and a reminder that I am a winner and it helps me mediate and it makes me feel great inside and out!

July 26, 2005, 2:16 pm CDT

Practice Kindness

Kindeness in words

Creates confidence

Kindness in thinking

Creates profoundness

Kindness in giving

Creates  LOVE

LAO-tse

July 26, 2005, 2:18 pm CDT

SET BOUNDRIES

A "NO" uttered from the deepest conviction is better and greater than a "YES" merely to please, or worse, to avoid trouble.

Mahatma Gandhi

July 26, 2005, 2:21 pm CDT

Stay True to YOURself

Happiness is when what you think,  what you say,  and what you do are in harmony.

Mahatma  Gandhi

July 27, 2005, 9:43 am CDT

Hi......

Quote From: ritehere

I love seeing this category put out for discussion! I've been using meditation and self-hypnosis as tools to getting in touch with my authentic self for about 3 years now. I recently have been looking into Buddhism, as insight is the cornerstone of their practice and they are much more knowledgeable in this area than we westerners. I recently woke up with a keen connection to the concept of "impermanence" and how it contributes to alot of our unhappiness. As with all great truths, it's very simple, but when accepted at a fundamental core level, it can be upsetting. I can see how my whole life, until about 2 years ago, was a constant struggle to get things exactly the way I wanted them, and not have it change. Any disruptions, or sidetracks would send me in a tailspin. Does anybody out there have any input as to how to progress from here? I've gotten fairly skilled at stress reduction and keeping a level of peace within myself, but I still fall into old habits occassionally.
I have been thinking for days on your question.  At many levels.  When I think of something  I just don't think at lets just three levels down  I go about 27 levels down then maybe after that add about 4 or 5.  I am really happy your using mediation and self- hypnosis as tools.  That is wonderful!  I am so happy you are in Touch with your authentic self.  May I ask you please a question?  What exactly is your authentic self?  What made you look into Buddhism?  Are you aware what the prime goal of that religion is?  Why build up one religion and put down another?  them against us?  "As with all great truths" I am wondering if you will please look into your self and answer those and then we can proceed because I have some great answers for you.  Thank you very much.....

July 27, 2005, 2:32 pm CDT

Well.....

Did you go away or are you sitting in the center of your lotus postion?

July 27, 2005, 3:51 pm CDT

Authentic Self

Quote From: labelfree

I have been thinking for days on your question.  At many levels.  When I think of something  I just don't think at lets just three levels down  I go about 27 levels down then maybe after that add about 4 or 5.  I am really happy your using mediation and self- hypnosis as tools.  That is wonderful!  I am so happy you are in Touch with your authentic self.  May I ask you please a question?  What exactly is your authentic self?  What made you look into Buddhism?  Are you aware what the prime goal of that religion is?  Why build up one religion and put down another?  them against us?  "As with all great truths" I am wondering if you will please look into your self and answer those and then we can proceed because I have some great answers for you.  Thank you very much.....
My authentic self is the indestructible core, the better part of myself that has access to anything I would ever need or want. I'm looking into Buddhist practices because they have been teaching proven methods of self-awareness and self-analysis for centuries. No, I don't know what you think is the prime goal of this "religion." And here is where you lose me, because Buddhism is not a "religion" in the way westerners commonly think of "religion." I am not religious, but very spiritual. I believe that there are many paths to salvation, or enlightenment, and that if anybody tells you they have the only way, run away fast.
And where did I say anything against any religion? Please read my post again, I think you missed the question I asked, or perhaps didn't understand it?

July 28, 2005, 2:16 am CDT

Do It for YOU!

The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping.

Claudius Claudianus

July 28, 2005, 10:12 am CDT

Help?

I am interested in meditation but can't seem to find time to actually try.  That, and I'm lazy.  I have discovered that if I'm left to my own devices, I won't stick with anything.  A while ago I bought Meditation for Dummies, but didn't make it out of the first chapter before I stopped reading.  Is there anyone out there that would be willing to help me kick my own butt into actually doing what I know I should?  Or, any advice/ideas on how to change my laziness into action?

July 28, 2005, 11:04 am CDT

Meditation

Quote From: rayvinfive

I am interested in meditation but can't seem to find time to actually try.  That, and I'm lazy.  I have discovered that if I'm left to my own devices, I won't stick with anything.  A while ago I bought Meditation for Dummies, but didn't make it out of the first chapter before I stopped reading.  Is there anyone out there that would be willing to help me kick my own butt into actually doing what I know I should?  Or, any advice/ideas on how to change my laziness into action?

First of all, realize that hypnosis is a very natural state, and you've been there before. You are in a hypnosis state just before going to sleep, and just as you are waking up. Ever woke up with the answer to a problem you were thinking about the day before? That's your subconscious supplying you with the answer you asked of yourself. Have you ever been driving in the car, and arrived at your destination with no memory of the trip? When your conscious mind wandered off, your subconscious took over and got you where you were going. (Although it's not recommended that we do this as a regular practice!) You can learn to "go" to this relaxed state, and give yourself positive suggestions and affirmations. Meditation is newer for me, so forgive me anybody out there who has a more correct description. Meditation is also about "stilling" yourself, the initial phase, where I am, is about emptying your mind. This is very difficult, sometimes impossible at first. You begin to understand how your mind works by trying to get it to be still. Of course there is much more. I'm investigating local meditation centers, as I feel a need for guidance.
As  to getting started. I attended a weight loss hypnotherapy class. Having somebody else guide you to that state can be a powerful way to become acquainted with it. Be aware that there are many charlatans out there. I chose a class that was conducted by a very talented, caring individual who works in con-junction with a cancer unit, helping patients. A big tip-off is the amount of time they spend actually helping others, as opposed to just making a pay check. There are books, and tapes, but I find they are nowhere nearly as effective.
So far, meditation has been a solitary practice, but I'm looking for the next step.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last