Message Boards

Topic : 07/13 Prison Moms

Number of Replies: 111
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 05, 2007, 02:42:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine if the woman who was supposed to love and protect you wasn’t there to tuck you in at night, put a bandage on your knee, or help you with your homework. Imagine if instead she were living a life behind bars. Dr. Phil introduces six beautiful children whose lives were torn apart when their mom, Angela, was sent to prison not once, but twice. Three of the six children have not seen their mother since she went to prison, and the youngest was born while Angela was behind bars. Now, Dr. Phil sits down with 15-year-old Brianna, 8-year-old Arianna and 6-year-old Makayla who live with their aunt. Learn what their lives are like with a mom serving time. Then, Dr. Phil talks face to face with Angela, who began serving an eight-year sentence over two years ago – her second time in jail. Dr. Phil has some tough questions for her you won't want to miss. Plus, the siblings were split apart two years ago when their mom went back to prison. Share in the tears and laughter as Dr. Phil reunites them with their incarcerated mother, and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 13, 2007, 8:54 am CDT

prison moms

i am a grandmother who is raising a child that has lived with his parents in jail and prison all his life he is now 6 and i have had him since he was 3 weeks old... we have been dragged into court over and over .. the mom has not seen him until she gets locked up and then she wants visitation rights and we do it and she got out and is now on the run again.. which forced the child into therapy and alot of fears .. she had visits and ran from them.. the child was taken to her house for the overnite visit and the apt was empty... that hurt and then she came before christmas and gave him presents .. and is gone again.. she was all over the news becuase she is runnin again from tthe law.. we Tried to adopt him and that failed.. the dad is not in the picture he is a drug addict alchoholic... i know the pain of a parent in prison i watch it everyday...

the laws need to be changed.. to help give these kids stable homes...

i understand if the child is older and the mom goes in for a year .. just her first mistake.. i wouldnt want to cut the child off then.. but from birth .. this child is in pain.. the courts just keep lettin her have her way and he pays..

July 13, 2007, 12:30 pm CDT

07/13 Prison Moms

I gave birth to my daughter Jaiden Skye in federal prison doing a five year sentence. I was able to bond with her for 14 months in a facility for moms and children, and then she was taken away , until I served the rest of my sentence.  I have to say family days in prison are the worst thing I  experienced. They're 1200 women in Alderson West Virginia and most all of them have children. My daughter changed my life she gave me a reason to live and change my life. I've been home almost 2 years now and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I'm enrolling in culinary school and I work 6 days a week. I think I'm proof that people can change their life. I know prison is the best thing that has happened to me. However, my father is doing 40 years in prison. I've seen him 10 minutes in the past 7 years and I miss him so much. He's 12 hours from me, and I'm not on his visiting list so, I've not been able to see him. I can't even explain how this affects me . He's saw Jaiden one time and she'll be 5 March 7th.

July 13, 2007, 12:36 pm CDT

07/13 Prison Moms

Quote From: flthomcat

Of course there are MANY MORE GREAT MOMS OUT there. Society would be in big trouble, if that were not the case!!!

I am 44 and have been a high school teacher (9 yrs) and a parole officer (3 yrs). I am also a community volunteer. I have been BLESSED to meet many wonderful mothers along the way....married, divorced, single, unwed, etc.

God bless all those women who do their very best for their children. But never forget that many women (like men) make horrible choices in their lives for different reasons...for drugs, to be with a man, to keep a man, to have money or other possessions, etc. Nobody MAKES them make these choices so they need to accept responsibility (if they ever want to move forward and improve their lots in life).

I agree with everything you've posted on today's board. Always knowing your comments weren't about all women, but just those who have made, and sometimes continue making, horrible choices. In your line of work, you know what you're talking about!

July 13, 2007, 12:41 pm CDT

the kids

for the rest of those kids lives they will remember the time Mom WASNT there.  i work part time and my kids dont like the time I am away during the day for my job.  I could not imagine being away for years or life.  The kids are the ones who will pay the ultimate price for these moms in jail.  My prayers are with them and thank you to Dr.Phil for bringing this issue to light.  There are so many families effected by incarseration.

July 13, 2007, 12:55 pm CDT

that ain't love

She says she loves her kids, yet look what she's doing to them!  It breaks my heart.  She's selfish and I don't believe a word she says.  She'll be right after that fast money again and having a few more kids.  She deserves to hurt as much as these sad children.  I just want to scoop them up and take them far away from this criminal.  She's conning you Dr. Phil!

July 13, 2007, 1:12 pm CDT

Sad Story

The entire story really saddened me but I feel for both the kids and the mom. I believe Angela really does love her children. When you look at the mistakes someone has made, you have to examine their entire life not just what happened. We don't know what Angela's life has been like or what she's been through to make her make those terrible decisions but I do believe that she is still a good person who just went down a bad path. I can't say whether or not when she comes out she will change. I think it is likely that she may do the same thing again. I really feel for Jasmine. I completely understand why she doesn't trust her mom and why she has her guard up. I would be the same way if I were her. She just doesn't want to get her hopes up and then get hurt again. Plus she doesn't want her mom to think that after all she did she can just walk back into their life again like nothing happened. Jasmine wants her mom to hurt the way she is hurting. She wants her mom to feel guilty enough that she won't do it again. The whole thing is just really complicated. I just hope her children don't choose the same path she did because that is likely to occur. Even when you've been through the something like that, still your parents are the only examples you have so its easy to end up being just like them.

July 13, 2007, 1:22 pm CDT

Awesome

Quote From: dcope74

I gave birth to my daughter Jaiden Skye in federal prison doing a five year sentence. I was able to bond with her for 14 months in a facility for moms and children, and then she was taken away , until I served the rest of my sentence.  I have to say family days in prison are the worst thing I  experienced. They're 1200 women in Alderson West Virginia and most all of them have children. My daughter changed my life she gave me a reason to live and change my life. I've been home almost 2 years now and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I'm enrolling in culinary school and I work 6 days a week. I think I'm proof that people can change their life. I know prison is the best thing that has happened to me. However, my father is doing 40 years in prison. I've seen him 10 minutes in the past 7 years and I miss him so much. He's 12 hours from me, and I'm not on his visiting list so, I've not been able to see him. I can't even explain how this affects me . He's saw Jaiden one time and she'll be 5 March 7th.
How wonderful! I am a firm believer that God has a plan for everyone in this world. He was testing you and you are proving to him that you can do it!!

July 13, 2007, 1:30 pm CDT

Today's show...

Today's show touched my heart & made me cry.

I have an aqantance (friend) who has been in and out of prison since her daughter was a year old. MY husband and I attempted to take sole custody of this little girl to be able to let her have a life she is entitled to. But her mother's family would not give up ALL legal rights so we could not take the child.

I feel that soon my friend may see what she is doing and try to change. She always tell me she is but has yet to prove to us that she is being truthful! I know that God has a plan for all of us; however if he gives you a child, take care of it! There are so many people in this world who want kids and can't have them.

I wish today family on Dr. Phil the best and I will pray for not only the kids but for the mother!

Be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection! Excellence you can reach for but Perfection is God's Business!!!

July 13, 2007, 1:37 pm CDT

I had and still have a prison mom

When I looked at todays show, I seen that 16 year old girl a direct duplicate of myself. The body language, not looking at her mother, not believing the words coming out of her mouth. All of those things were and still are me. My mother has been in and out of prison since I was 8 years old and I'm now 24. A lot of what she felt, I felt and still am filling. Now the only thing I dont understand is why everytime they go back, these are the exact words in quote. "I so sorry, i will never to this again." "This time I got myself together and I learned my lesson, when I get home I promise you will get better and make it up to you."

Like I told my mother you cant do anything for me. You have to want to do good for yourself and want to stop doing all the things that just stick you in a place you dont want to be. These prison moms only thing about thereself and they only live in the moment. They dont think about the consequences until they get smacked in the face with them. It amazes me how many prison moms there are in the with kids. If I could share my life with them and how I was rised, I would never want anyone to grow up like that.

I just had my first child a year ago, I told myself that I would never do all those things that my mother did to me. The kids of these prison moms need to keep there best intrest at hand along with ther brother and sisters. Dont even worry about the moms because the more you worry about them, they become your life. Not to say dont think about them, because I think about my mom all the time, but i dont let her over power the kids mind.

I dont think the prison moms understand the pain, hurt, the picking that goes on in school, drama, and how fast the kids have to grow up. My older sister and I didnt have a regular child hood. We use to stay with friends and other family members, than my sister was old enough, than I stayed with her. I commend the other siblings for stepping up to the plate cause thats the hardest thing to do is to know hey I'M A PARENT AT A YOUNG AGE, Or I'M LOOSING MY CHILDHOOD.

Just thinking about all the emotions that was running in the young lady head while visiting her mother is why I really dont talk or visit mine. It is a lot of your words are so cheap that it doesnt mean anyhting, nothing. Becasuse if you learn you lesson the first time why are you back. All people have differnet beliefs, my beliefs GOD test people for differnet things and if you havent past your test you go through it again. To me it just seems as some of these prison moms havent learn there lesson and dont want to learn the lesson at hand.

July 13, 2007, 1:58 pm CDT

PRISON MOMS

Quote From: shermell05

When I looked at todays show, I seen that 16 year old girl a direct duplicate of myself. The body language, not looking at her mother, not believing the words coming out of her mouth. All of those things were and still are me. My mother has been in and out of prison since I was 8 years old and I'm now 24. A lot of what she felt, I felt and still am filling. Now the only thing I dont understand is why everytime they go back, these are the exact words in quote. "I so sorry, i will never to this again." "This time I got myself together and I learned my lesson, when I get home I promise you will get better and make it up to you."

Like I told my mother you cant do anything for me. You have to want to do good for yourself and want to stop doing all the things that just stick you in a place you dont want to be. These prison moms only thing about thereself and they only live in the moment. They dont think about the consequences until they get smacked in the face with them. It amazes me how many prison moms there are in the with kids. If I could share my life with them and how I was rised, I would never want anyone to grow up like that.

I just had my first child a year ago, I told myself that I would never do all those things that my mother did to me. The kids of these prison moms need to keep there best intrest at hand along with ther brother and sisters. Dont even worry about the moms because the more you worry about them, they become your life. Not to say dont think about them, because I think about my mom all the time, but i dont let her over power the kids mind.

I dont think the prison moms understand the pain, hurt, the picking that goes on in school, drama, and how fast the kids have to grow up. My older sister and I didnt have a regular child hood. We use to stay with friends and other family members, than my sister was old enough, than I stayed with her. I commend the other siblings for stepping up to the plate cause thats the hardest thing to do is to know hey I'M A PARENT AT A YOUNG AGE, Or I'M LOOSING MY CHILDHOOD.

Just thinking about all the emotions that was running in the young lady head while visiting her mother is why I really dont talk or visit mine. It is a lot of your words are so cheap that it doesnt mean anyhting, nothing. Becasuse if you learn you lesson the first time why are you back. All people have differnet beliefs, my beliefs GOD test people for differnet things and if you havent past your test you go through it again. To me it just seems as some of these prison moms havent learn there lesson and dont want to learn the lesson at hand.

ALTHOUGH EVERYONE'S CIRCUMSTANCES R DIFFERENT, THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR MOTHER TO BE IN JAIL EXCEPT FOR KILLING SOMEONE IN SELF-DEFENSE. I AM NOT IN JAIL RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I HAVE ONE CHILD. SHE IS FIRST AND FOREMOST ON MY MIND. THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT HERE THAT ARE STILL ALIVE AND KICKING BECAUSE I HAVE A CHILD. OTHERWISE, THEY'D BE SOMEWHERE STANKING. IT IS EASY TO GO TO JAIL...HARD TO STAY OUT. YOU HAVE TO REALLY WANT TO DO BETTER TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE. YOU CAN'T JUST TALK ABOUT, YOU HAVE TO BE ABOUT IT. WHEN YOU HAVE KIDS, THERE ARE JUST SOME CHANCES YOU JUST CANT TAKE.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last