Message Boards

Topic : 07/13 Prison Moms

Number of Replies: 111
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 05, 2007, 02:42:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine if the woman who was supposed to love and protect you wasn’t there to tuck you in at night, put a bandage on your knee, or help you with your homework. Imagine if instead she were living a life behind bars. Dr. Phil introduces six beautiful children whose lives were torn apart when their mom, Angela, was sent to prison not once, but twice. Three of the six children have not seen their mother since she went to prison, and the youngest was born while Angela was behind bars. Now, Dr. Phil sits down with 15-year-old Brianna, 8-year-old Arianna and 6-year-old Makayla who live with their aunt. Learn what their lives are like with a mom serving time. Then, Dr. Phil talks face to face with Angela, who began serving an eight-year sentence over two years ago – her second time in jail. Dr. Phil has some tough questions for her you won't want to miss. Plus, the siblings were split apart two years ago when their mom went back to prison. Share in the tears and laughter as Dr. Phil reunites them with their incarcerated mother, and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 13, 2007, 3:23 pm CDT

PRISON MOM

DR PHIL

I MISSED PART OF THE SHOW BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW CAN WE GET THOSE SIX KIDS TO LIVE TOGETHER FOR THE NEXT YEAR SO THAT THEY MAY CONTINUE THEIR BOND AS SIBLINGS. MY CHILDREN HAVE ALWAYS BEEN EXTREMELY CLOSE AND I LOST MY OLDEST DAUGTER TO CANCER WHEN SHE WAS JUST 22 YEARS OLD  AND IT HAS BEEN EXTREMELY HARD FOR ALL OF US ESPECIALLY MY CHILDREN BECAUSE THEY MISS HER SO MUCH. THEY WERE ALL 2 YEARS APART. IT JUST BREAKS MY HEART THAT THEY HAVE TO LIVE APART THOUGH ALL OF THIS. I MIGHT HAVE MIISSED SOMETHING IN THE SHOW BUT PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THEY WANT TO BE TOGETHER, BECAUSE MY HUSBAND AND I WOULD MAKE THAT HAPPEN IN A HEARTBEAT. LOVE PAM CLAYTON

July 13, 2007, 3:26 pm CDT

Opportunities for College

I hope and pray the two oldest girls are able to attend College...as SAT's and opportunities for further education comes close to when their Mother is starting out again.

Beautiful articulate young ladies who've shouldered responsibilities beyond their years, with grace and dignity. Hold your head high always you two-believe that you can do anything

Skye

July 13, 2007, 3:30 pm CDT

prison moms..

Dr. Phil, I am so surprised at the show. I watched this with complete confusion. I work in a women's prison as a registered nurse. Please forgive me for saying..."what the hell were you thinking?" That woman that you took her children in to see her said everything in context to "me, myself and I." She showed absolutely no remorse for what she had done. She never shed a sincere tear. And to make that poor child go in there and face her mother, when she obvioulsy figured out that the best thing her birth mother did for her was go to prison and avoid the toxic raising and pass on her borderline/antisocial traits is infuriating. I watch this a type of mother every day at work. They talk about how they love their children and how they want to make it up to them...BULL.  You spoke for the mother and put words in the daughter's mouth. That young girl was RIGHTFULLY so uncomfortable being there. When you were walking her in you should have known that young woman did not want to face her mother. She was so scared. She did not deserve to be put through that. I felt that the mother did not even remember the childrens' names when the little ones were brought in. Women that have six children and then find themselves in prison, twice, avoid the hardest part of being a mother...RAISING them. That woman is the epitomy of the three M's. Malicious, malingering and manipulative. The only chance those children stand of not thinking that prison life is "OK" is to avoid their birth mother.

July 13, 2007, 3:31 pm CDT

Repetitive mom

did anybody notice that the mom seems to be pretty much without emotion and was merely repeating what Dr. Phil was saying?  She just seemed to be saying the right things by remote control.  Her daughter is very intuitive when she says that she does not believe her mother has changed.

July 13, 2007, 3:31 pm CDT

Totally agree

Quote From: flthomcat

Society SHOULD want women happily married and then having children for the sake of both the kids and what's shown (over centuries) to be best for society. Does that always happen? Of course not. There are always exceptions.

Women are "enablers" because they choose to be. Nobody puts a gun to anyone's head and makes them enable someone (or enable themself). Men can be enablers too.

Yes, God wants you to have a husband first because it's the moral thing to do...and, if he's decent, he's great for both the woman and the kids. All the stats show that a happy 2-parent home is best for kids. We keep lying to ourselves in this country to JUSTIFY our selfishness when it comes to what children need and deserve (but what we choose not to give them).

I have many wonderful friends who have ended up single mothers (due to divorce); they are great mothers, but even they will admit it is tough to be both a mother and a father to a child...to have quality time when the one parent has to work fulltime, to discipline well (especially with one parent and more than one child in the home), etc. I congratulate all those single mothers who raise great children. Sadly, too many single parent children have trouble with behavior, needing attention, trusting, getting and maintaining healthy permanent relationships, respecting authority, etc.

Nobody should be cruel to you. But nobody should lie to you either, even if you don't like to hear what they have to say. It is SELFISH to try to bring a child into the world without the benefit of a husband/father. It is NOT in the best interest of the child. Adoption is a wonderful option when the unexpected happens. It's always the least selfish of the choices.

And, again, single mothers who didn't choose their lot in life AND WHO RAISE WONDERFUL KIDS should be applauded. Hopefully their children will appreciate all that they've done for them.

Sorry, if I am not PC. I used to be and it was a lie. The facts on 2-parent happy homes vs 1-parent divorced/single homes are evident from every study out there. Thanksfully there are exceptions, but that doesn't change things.

By the way, many single women wth children are NOT independent. Anyone getting money from the govt is NOT independent. We are ALL helping to raise that precious child and that does NOT make the woman "independent."

I am a happily married (for almost 19 years) "independent" mother of two  (college-educated, but I choose to be a fulltime mom). I speak my mind, make as many decisions as my spouse and I have my own savings and investments, as does my husband (plus we have joint savings/investments). Sadly, few are truly "independent" in this world. They talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

I don't think I could have put those thoughts into words any better if I had tried.  Unfortunately, politcal correctness has gotten in the way of common sense.  The woman on the program today needed to stop having children when she stopped being able to take care of them.  They are beautiful and did nothing to deserve what has happened to them.

July 13, 2007, 3:34 pm CDT

Jasmine's woundedness

I think Jasmine's wounds are too deep, she needs a considerable time to heal and recover. Her Mom cannot just make her accept and forgive her. Her Mom has to be patient.

July 13, 2007, 3:37 pm CDT

07/13 Prison Moms

Quote From: ariana030400

No one can judge a child on how they are feeling due to having parents that are never there and continue to make wrong choices. These parents that are moms dont realize the damage they put there children through. This mother obviously didnt make the right ones and like Dr. Phil said why continue to have children if you can't take care of them. Maybe she wouldnt be in the situation she is in now. Overall these kids have not just been seperated from there mom but there siblings. How do you expect them to feel towards her?

I agree--the oldest has seen it all--you cannot judge this girl--she clearly is holding a lot of pain--she might even feel responsible or shameful that she could not keep everyone together....or be a good enough daughter that her Mom was motivated to stay around.

Should Dr. Phil have mentioned the 6 children thing...probably not...they are all beautiful wonderful children...this woman would have committed criminal acts with one child...I think she wanted what she wanted no matter what.

Skye

July 13, 2007, 3:42 pm CDT

Watched the show....

I just finished watching the segment on "Prison Moms".  I don't normally post comments, but after watching this segment, I was inclined to voice my opinion and state how terrible I feel for those children.  Dr. Phil spoke for the oldest child because she could not bring herself to speak (rightfully so) and after watching the expression (or lack of) on the mother's face.... I could not see remorse or truly deep feelings for those children.  Her oldest daughter could tell and did not beleive her.    The mother said what she was supposed to and agreed with Dr. Phil and her daughter.  She may have cried, but I'm not truly convinced they were real tears.   Maybe the mom has been affected by prison, or maybe she is not an emotional person.   I don't beleive it was ever stated how the mom ended up in prison, but hopefully when the mom is released she does not get into trouble again and takes care of those beautiful children.  

July 13, 2007, 3:44 pm CDT

prison moms

Hello .....I don't think she's conning you Dr. Phil.  I think she wants to do better but she doesn't know how to do that.  When she comes out of prison who is gonna want to hire her? When a convicted person goes back out into the world she will have this invisible tatoo on her head.  Most people do not want to give them a chance.  Having to find a job that can feed all six children and herself and pay rent and utilities and any other NEEDS ....let a lone wants is difficult.  With the raising economy and no raises in pay its hard....people fall through the cracks and don't know what to do to get help so they take those matters into there own hands.  I am not condoning her actions she broke the law. But being a single mom w/ no criminal record is hard let alone w/ one!!!!!   Those kids didn't aske to be brought into the world it's good to see someone wants to take them in...God Bless you!!!!!

July 13, 2007, 4:01 pm CDT

Reply to prison moms

Quote From: housewife52

I'll probably have to have the Kleenex on stand-by for this show. I know it will be very interesting. I would have hated to have left my children for any reason. And I wouldn't want to go to prison anyway. But I realize stuff happens and women end up on the wrong side of the law. I'm sure that they must be devastated to be separated from thier children. I hope they can get thier lives back together someday.
Gosh I just hope that these women can get their lives together.   They are missing so much of their childs lives, and you can't get that time back.   Today my 8 year old son was riding around on his bike wearing blue hawaiin print swim trunks, a motorcycle helmet, snow boots and a red spiderman t-shirt.   I have no idea where that kid comes up with these getups, but I wouldn't have wanted to miss it for the world.   I feel so bad for the children too!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last