Message Boards

Topic : How I Fought My Illness

Number of Replies: 301
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:05:51 am
Author : dataimport
If you've suffered from a debilitating illness and lived to tell your story, please tell it to us. Share your most uplifting and practical ways to fight off illness.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 31, 2007, 10:59 am CST

Cancer

Quote From: wheels1954

i was in an accident in a dollar general store and they left me to die.i spent a year on a vent and feeding tube,six months of it in icu.i will never walk,stand up wear shoes,or eat without problems,or have full use of my left hand.my medical bills are way over a million dollars.we are going to do a book and i am looking for a writter to help me.maybe my story will save someone from this.the docters said it is a miracle i lived.i will never be out of pain.please say a prayer for me.thank you
Hello, I went on here looking to see if anyone had to deal with cancer. I didn't see anything but maybe I overlooked it. I am not even sure if Dr. Phil did a show on cancer. I had cancer a couple years ago and everytime I get tested I am scared to death. My doctor wants to rule out another type of cancer now and I am a nervous wreck. Can anyone relate?  Thanks for listening.

January 31, 2007, 10:59 am CST

Cancer

Hello, I went on here looking to see if anyone had to deal with cancer. I didn't see anything but maybe I overlooked it. I am not even sure if Dr. Phil did a show on cancer. I had cancer a couple years ago and everytime I get tested I am scared to death. My doctor wants to rule out another type of cancer now and I am a nervous wreck. Can anyone relate?  Thanks for listening.

January 31, 2007, 11:00 am CST

sorry

Quote From: writerbug2

I accidently put my post under yours instead of a new quote. Sorry about that:(

January 31, 2007, 11:00 am CST

sorry

February 23, 2007, 1:03 pm CST

NF...

Hey I have a skin disorder called NF which is short for NEUROFIBROMATOSIS..... Say that 10 times fast. I have a mild case so I really shouldnt complain as much as I do.. But its hard.. Its a disorder where you have small skin like bumps of all sizes apear all over your body.. some cases they get to up to 15 - 20 lbs and some have had limbs removed... some cases or levels people have the bumps on the inside and can cause many things in females it can cause us early menopause... so while this isnt as serious as cancer or some other illnesses... Just know its out there.. its genetic so noooo u cant cath it .. no we arent mutants ... so please dont stare when you see us out.. and if you have questions ask us dont point .. its rude

March 9, 2007, 1:13 pm CST

How I Fought My Illness

Quote From: danamikayl

I am recommending this book to everyone I know. It's called "Fit For Life" by Harvey Diamond. It could save your life one day, or someone you know and love. Please recommend it to others.
OMG, read this book YEARS ago. Is it still in print? It's great stuff and I felt fantastic on it, but boy, it is VERY difficult to stick with.

March 13, 2007, 7:23 am CDT

hi

hi im kerry-ann ill be 25 years on 26th march, i 've have myasthenia gravis, since i was 15 , i never got to experience life, go on dates, work , the last 3 years have been hell, i almost died a few times, the last time my doctor said i was a miricle and told me mom i was strong, but i dont feel strong, im so tired of fighting  this disease, so tired of trying to be strong, faking smiles , telling jokes to hide my pain, i just want to let go , be free, but i cant because of my mom, everytime i think of giving up , i remember the last time i was hospitalized, the last thing i remember was my mom holding me in her arms crying saying she loves me, i just want to be free of pain, and hurt

March 19, 2007, 7:18 pm CDT

Just found out

Hi Im 32 yrs old and I just found out that I have celiac disease and cirrhosis of the liver. Im not sure what to do. Lately it has been hard to deal with this.I have been trying to find information on both of them. Good thing there is a women in my town that has started up a meeting for people with celiac disease. But I have been trying to find out the stages of cirrhosis and I cant seem to find any. I have looked on mayoclinic and some other web sites..I was wondering if anyone knows the stages or knows where I can get it??

March 20, 2007, 5:58 pm CDT

How I Fought My Illness

I came here looking for the same thing. I have a very rare type of non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. I've also had 5 different diagnosis' over the last 5 years. I think they got it right this time: Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia, although this cancer occurs in men over 65; and I'm a 39 year old female. I go in for blood tests every 3-4 months and have for the past 5+ years. I get bone marrow biopsies as my disease is there, in my lymph nodes and my blood stream. I get a cat scan yearly to look for tumors. I know your fear. Every few months when I go in I have to worry and wonder if this is going to be the time my tests come back really bad and I have to start treatment. My cancer is slow growing, but can turn aggressive quickly. There is no cure, so treatments can slow it down or relieve some symptoms, but it usually comes back, and when it does, it's worse. Median survival at diagnosis is 5-7 years, but I know of people who've lived longer. It's a long and stressful road. And every 3-4 months I get to watch my blood slowly get worse. The doctors tell me not to worry...then why do they test my blood every 3 months? I'd say that's something to worry about. I don't know the joy of remission, but I certainly understand the fear of cancer. I'd almost rather have an aggressive form, which is easier to treat and cure. With my disease, they wait to treat until your quality of life is at 0, because there is no cure and it will come back. The slowly waiting and worrying is horrible. I don't look sick, but I have peripheral neuropathy in my arms and legs, which is quite painful and I'm tired all the time. I tell myself often that it could be worse.

Do you know what type of cancer your doctor is wanting to rule out? I found that the more I know about my illness, the better I feel. My doctors don't like it when I ask about CD Markers, antigens, and why my bone marrow flow cytometry has strange results. LOL The answer is usually, don't worry about it. Yea, that helps. I think I know more about my cancer than most oncologists I've seen. I still worry though. Cancer is unpredictable and that's the scary part. Just keep telling yourself that no matter what it is, you can deal with it. If it ends up cancer, and I pray it doesn't, learn as much as you can about it. I've found that a lot of doctors really don't know what they're doing. You have to take charge of your disease and your healthcare. I asked doctors for 2 years about my blood tests not looking right, no kidding. Finally one listened and called a hematologist. Good luck to you and please let me know how it goes.

April 5, 2007, 5:41 pm CDT

A cancer ATTITUDE!

I am a 49 year old mother of two grown & married children.  I'll turn 50 this Christmas and can hardly wait!! 

I was first diagnosed with Non-hodgkins Lymphoma in February 1999.  Following a short remission, my lymphoma reoccured in 2002 and, I was facing a stem cell transplant--that was three years ago and counting. (If you are interested in more details, my story can be read on www.mayoclinc.org --click on Sue Stein's story.)  Today I live what I would consider to be a fairly normal life for someone who has been through a trememdous amount of emotional and physical ups and downs over an eight year period.  How did I, or how DO I fight my illness?  Most importantly, I believe in God; I believe in a healthy attitude (keep in mind, I did not say a "positive" attitude because I believe that it is ATTITUDE period; it is a choice we make to live and to fight).  And, while this may seem silly to some of you, it was very important for me during my illness to feel pretty.  I needed to feel like a woman--okay, sometimes a bald woman--but I wasn't willing to allow cancer to take away my sensuality and who I was.  Therefore, I coped by getting up every morning, no matter how I felt, putting on make up and doing my hair--when I had hair!  (Since I lost my hair three times, you can imagine how significant it was when I had hair to fix.)  I also made sure that I had pretty panties and bras to where.  Silly, I know.  It was like my little secret.  I could go into my chemo treatments feeling like the doctors didn't really know everything about me, nor was I going to share it with them--this allowed me to feel a little bit in control of my day.  My friends tease me that my life slogan should be "I'm changing the world one panty at a time", because anyone who is newly diagnosed and asks for my advice is told about my little secret.

I have come so far in eight years that I try not to waste time look ing back--I only look forward.  I will never forget where I have been, but it will never consume my life.  The Mayo Clinic in Phoenix has honored my journey  by making me their "poster child" in an ad in the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport.  This ad is a constant reminder as to where I have been and where I am going.

My advice to any of you out there who have just been diagnosed--GET AN ATTITUDE--fight for what is yours--your life!

First | Prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | Next | Last