Message Boards

Topic : How I Fought My Illness

Number of Replies: 301
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:05:51 am
Author : dataimport
If you've suffered from a debilitating illness and lived to tell your story, please tell it to us. Share your most uplifting and practical ways to fight off illness.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 2, 2005, 4:47 am CST

Me too.

Quote From: gallbrg

I have scarcoidosis and it is destroying me and has destoryed my family.  

My wife wants a divorce, & at the time I need her the most with all the medcial tests I have been going through lately she just plain hates me.  

It is not my fault that I have this disease.  

It has affected my lungs and now possibly my heart.  

The medicine I am on makes me feel sick most of the time.  

God is my only support and hopefully someone out there does care.  

Because I can certainly use a friend in this adventure.  

I have sarcoidosis which affects my lungs too. I got my diagnosis 9 years ago. My doctor took me off the prednisone last March. I do understand. There's a lot of ups and downs with sarcoid. Contact the American Lung Association. They may be able to hook you up with a support group in your area. 

Terrie 

December 6, 2005, 5:32 am CST

Support of Shape Up Vitamins and Supplements

I am angry with the people suing over Shape Up. I used the vitamins. They were the best I have ever found and I am frustrated that I can no longer purchase them. 

It's hard to determine what a vitamin is doing for you, however, I could see positive effects. My nails were stronger, but more important to me, the vitamins provided some relief to me for IBM. Unless you suffer from IBM, you cannot understand what a blessing it is to have a product which aids in this problem. I am no doctor, but I assume the vitamins helped to break down the foods I ate. I have taken many types and combinations of vitamins over the years and have never found a combination which provided the benefits of the Shape Up vitamins.   

Shame on those who are looking for a quick buck and on the lawyers looking for the publicity and profit. Their greed has taken away a product which had positive benefits for me and I am sure many others. I wish those who feel as I do would ban together so our voice could be heard!  

December 7, 2005, 4:55 am CST

How I Fought My Illness

Quote From: simp022004

I just found out that I am positive for Hepatitis C. I should not be shocked. I am 3 months into a drug free life. It has been over a year since I have used a needle. I never thought that I would ever get sick. You know at the time it was just for fun, I didn't have a problem. Silly me thought I would never get anything like this. I have wanted to go back and get that high again. However that is not the way to deal with this. I am still reeling from the diagnosis. I still have many tests that I will have to do. I feel like I have to be the stupidest person on the planet. I shared a needle with someone. What was I thinking? I was not. I was just looking for a good time. Now I am sick forever. 

It was over ten years ago when a youth pastor told me that, God will forgive you for anything, but that does not mean that you are free from the consequences of your sin. It never made any since until now. I know he forgives me for being so careless with the body he gave me. But as I learned over a decade ago, I will reap what I have sown. I am very afraid about what will happen next. I have no idea how I will survive this. But I have 3 girls & a husband who need me to do well. I hope I am strong enough. 

Keep up the good work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 7, 2005, 6:23 am CST

35 Years of diabetes

Quote From: blue_05

I am posting this message about diabetes. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the diease? I have struggled with it for a few years now. There for a while i didn't think i was going to make it, but here i am doing ok now. I worry sometimes about my heart, because i have some bad shakey spells and my heart just beats really fast. But i had it checked out and it was fine they said. Guess it's just from reading and seeing what all can happen to you with the complications of diabetes. If anyone has any suggestions about diabetes then i would be glad to hear them, I am sure there are people out there who has suffered from it alot longer than i have.
i have had diabetes since i was 5 years old that was my 5th birthday present in the hospital getting needles and test done. i have struggled with this all my live. i was put on one needle a day and then 2 a day and the 4 a day and 2 weeks a go the 5th  needle a day along with 4 or 5 pills. i have lazier on my eyes for 2.5 years and now on kidney medication so the next is my hart I am also worried about that . The best lesson I give people is to keep your blood sugars  under control and walk Lots  so you mussels can keep working . i bag diabetics  DO NOT CHEAT I DID AND NOW I AM PAYING THE PRICE.  It is not diabetes that will kill us it will be the secondary conditions like blindness hart and stroke blood presser problem and all can be reduced or stop with keeping blood sugars under control                       BEST OF LUCK TO ALL DIABETICS

December 7, 2005, 2:09 pm CST

I have ulcerative colitis

Hi!! I am a 24 year old woman and I have ulcerative colitis. I have had this disease for a little over 1.5 years. There is no cure for the diseases unless I have my entire large intestine removed--don't want to do that yet!! When I was dx'd, I was extremely ill. I lived in a small town and my doctor there finally said, I don't know what's wrong with you--you need to go elsewhere. When I finally made it to a g.i., he dx'd me in about 5 minutes. I was severe. I couldn't eat, had mouth ulcers, erythema nodusum, high fever, my eyes were inflammed, my hair was falling out and I had dropped nearly 30lbs. Well, 2 days after my appt. I was scoped for the first time. Terrifying yes, but not that bad. Its really an easy test, its the day b/f that's the worst!! That firmly confirmed my dx. I thanked my doc over and over again b/c I finally knew that something was wrong with me and I wasn't just crazy!! I've been battling it since. I've had 2 more 'scopes since then and my colon is getting better. I flared up pretty good in July of this year and had to go back on the steroids. Oh!! Did I mention my meds??!! I'm on tons!! My newest is the immunosuppresants!! Not to mention how expensive all this is especially since I have no insurance!! I'm proud to say that through all this I finished my undergrad degree and I plan to go back to school this January and I'm very excited over this. I had another flare up this fall, but we caught it early and headed it off. My doctor and his nurses are my God send--I tell everyone that. My family has been wonderful and my husband--bless him. He's been through all this with me and we've only been married for 2 years(been together for 6). Its been a tough road, but I know remission is coming. I'm trying to cut down my stress--no it doesn't cause my disease, but it can make it flare. I drink green tea(supposed to help with inflammation), take all my med's like I'm supposed too and I take fish oil capsules. Right now, I feel pretty good. Its been some tough times, but I'm getting there!!

December 7, 2005, 9:00 pm CST

MS at 28

After the birth of my son, when he was 12 weeks old- I was diagnosed with MS.  I went through some dark days, with a tiny baby, having to go on disability from my job, and having to take some hideous daily medications. 

But, that was 6 years ago.  I am blessed to stay home with my son and get paid from my disability.  I am lucky to get all the hideous medications paid for - $2000 / month - (yay Canada!).  I am lucky to have friends and family who understand and who are there for me.  I am lucky to have a husband who is my best friend, and never thought twice about the MS.  "In sickness and in health" are part of our wedding vows. 

I sometimes have trouble walking, seeing, controlling spasms.  I have trouble keeping up with my son.  But I am blessed and so lucky to have him and my husband.  I feel dark some days, but I remind myself about what I have, and I feel better about life. 

Peace, 

Jennifer 

December 7, 2005, 10:03 pm CST

I,ve found an even better replacement

Quote From: cvechko

I am angry with the people suing over Shape Up. I used the vitamins. They were the best I have ever found and I am frustrated that I can no longer purchase them. 

It's hard to determine what a vitamin is doing for you, however, I could see positive effects. My nails were stronger, but more important to me, the vitamins provided some relief to me for IBM. Unless you suffer from IBM, you cannot understand what a blessing it is to have a product which aids in this problem. I am no doctor, but I assume the vitamins helped to break down the foods I ate. I have taken many types and combinations of vitamins over the years and have never found a combination which provided the benefits of the Shape Up vitamins.   

Shame on those who are looking for a quick buck and on the lawyers looking for the publicity and profit. Their greed has taken away a product which had positive benefits for me and I am sure many others. I wish those who feel as I do would ban together so our voice could be heard!  

I have recently been lucky enough to find a replacement for this product which I also liked. The new product that I have found, I think works much better for me than the Shape Up products did.  I am disabled and have degenerative joint and disc disease, which brings arthritis along with it. My pain in my knees had progressed to such a point that I was considering knee replacement. Within day of starting on this new supplement, which is all fruits,vegetables,and natural ingredients, I have hardly no pain in my knees at all. If you would like for me to share this information with you feel free to contact me at girlfriend12002@Yahoo.com.   I do hope that you feel better. I am just really amazed at how much better this product is making me feel and i really felt the need to share it with you .  God Bless you this Christmas Season. 

December 11, 2005, 12:11 pm CST

colitis

Quote From: sis802

Hi!! I am a 24 year old woman and I have ulcerative colitis. I have had this disease for a little over 1.5 years. There is no cure for the diseases unless I have my entire large intestine removed--don't want to do that yet!! When I was dx'd, I was extremely ill. I lived in a small town and my doctor there finally said, I don't know what's wrong with you--you need to go elsewhere. When I finally made it to a g.i., he dx'd me in about 5 minutes. I was severe. I couldn't eat, had mouth ulcers, erythema nodusum, high fever, my eyes were inflammed, my hair was falling out and I had dropped nearly 30lbs. Well, 2 days after my appt. I was scoped for the first time. Terrifying yes, but not that bad. Its really an easy test, its the day b/f that's the worst!! That firmly confirmed my dx. I thanked my doc over and over again b/c I finally knew that something was wrong with me and I wasn't just crazy!! I've been battling it since. I've had 2 more 'scopes since then and my colon is getting better. I flared up pretty good in July of this year and had to go back on the steroids. Oh!! Did I mention my meds??!! I'm on tons!! My newest is the immunosuppresants!! Not to mention how expensive all this is especially since I have no insurance!! I'm proud to say that through all this I finished my undergrad degree and I plan to go back to school this January and I'm very excited over this. I had another flare up this fall, but we caught it early and headed it off. My doctor and his nurses are my God send--I tell everyone that. My family has been wonderful and my husband--bless him. He's been through all this with me and we've only been married for 2 years(been together for 6). Its been a tough road, but I know remission is coming. I'm trying to cut down my stress--no it doesn't cause my disease, but it can make it flare. I drink green tea(supposed to help with inflammation), take all my med's like I'm supposed too and I take fish oil capsules. Right now, I feel pretty good. Its been some tough times, but I'm getting there!!
i have lympostic colitis , thank god I'm not alone in this , not to many people understand,I've had it now 3 years , went into remission for a year , then 6 months shorter all the time, as of right now there trying to get me into remission , i was on steroids for four weeks , didn't work so I'm on them again , at one time i went ten long months with know medical, help the diarrhea that long my liver an kidneys almost shut down, we have know medical help an i owe six thousand dollars, i usually don't go any were , i wont were a diaper so i stay home, i cant work, plus i have other heath problems , I'm so glad we can talk about this , o an I'm 46 lol,Roxie

December 15, 2005, 9:28 pm CST

hi!!!!

Quote From: boxblonde

i have lympostic colitis , thank god I'm not alone in this , not to many people understand,I've had it now 3 years , went into remission for a year , then 6 months shorter all the time, as of right now there trying to get me into remission , i was on steroids for four weeks , didn't work so I'm on them again , at one time i went ten long months with know medical, help the diarrhea that long my liver an kidneys almost shut down, we have know medical help an i owe six thousand dollars, i usually don't go any were , i wont were a diaper so i stay home, i cant work, plus i have other heath problems , I'm so glad we can talk about this , o an I'm 46 lol,Roxie
You are definetly not alone in this!! It is very tough learning to deal with these diseases--heck its even life altering. But, there are ways. I just got through with my latest round of steroids--I really hope that I don't have to go back on them for a very long time, we'll see what happens. Anytime you need someone to talk too, I'm here. I know of a couple of really informative websites on the disease if you ever are interested. I can give you my e-mail address too!! Best Wishes!!

December 16, 2005, 10:55 am CST

Finally an article about MS

Quote From: librajen

After the birth of my son, when he was 12 weeks old- I was diagnosed with MS.  I went through some dark days, with a tiny baby, having to go on disability from my job, and having to take some hideous daily medications. 

But, that was 6 years ago.  I am blessed to stay home with my son and get paid from my disability.  I am lucky to get all the hideous medications paid for - $2000 / month - (yay Canada!).  I am lucky to have friends and family who understand and who are there for me.  I am lucky to have a husband who is my best friend, and never thought twice about the MS.  "In sickness and in health" are part of our wedding vows. 

I sometimes have trouble walking, seeing, controlling spasms.  I have trouble keeping up with my son.  But I am blessed and so lucky to have him and my husband.  I feel dark some days, but I remind myself about what I have, and I feel better about life. 

Peace, 

Jennifer 

I have been on the site for a long time today and finally found your post about MS. 

I too have MS and being diagnosed in 1996, have now had it "officially" for 9 years. I started out taking Betaserone almost immediately. And although slowly, it held off any "real progression". Until this last year. I have also been approved for disability through the SSA in America this year, but am really losing my abilities to walk and function normally!! 

Really, not that bad I guess, but then again, yes it is. 

I have started taking this chemo now (Novantrone), but it is not doing any good thusfar! 

I would love to communicate. I don't have a wife, or really anyone for support. Write me at timkerr@columbus.rr.com. 

Take care, 

Tim 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last