Message Boards

Topic : How I Fought My Illness

Number of Replies: 301
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:05:51 am
Author : dataimport
If you've suffered from a debilitating illness and lived to tell your story, please tell it to us. Share your most uplifting and practical ways to fight off illness.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 7, 2005, 9:23 am CDT

Fight for a cure!

Quote From: bastanz

I watch another great show on TV each day which talks all about health and the ways how one can heal themselves of basically all auto immune disease including that child that is running you down.  I'm keeping a shared Diary of what I hear each day.  When you click on my name the last entry comes up but if you go to the side column to the name of the diary you can start from the beginning to read the shows in progression.  I'm sharing this info with you and would love to see them on Dr. Phil one day.  Everyone would just love it and learn tons.

I do not know how to read the shared diary.  I'm sure it is full of lots of hope.  I appreciate the thoughts.  Hope is what keeps us together.  I'm glad it helps you. 

I do not believe that one can fight a painful disease by just hoping.  We must attack this at the core, the biological aspect of the disease itself. 

If you have a painful disease, don't forget to get your voice out and talk to your state representatives!  The states fork a lot of money out for people with disabilities.  Let's help the state save money and demand for more money for research for a cure for painful diseases!  Join me in the fight on the website:  arthritis.org.  They are trying to pass an Arthritis Prevention, Control, and Cure Act of 2005.  It's not just for arthritis, it's a fight againt pain and disability. 

Yours truly, 

Kristie : ) 

fyte4acure 

October 7, 2005, 9:31 am CDT

I strongly urge you to make your voice heard!

Quote From: rdogold

My kidneys failed in March 2000 after numerous doctors assured me they would not.  I found out later that my kidney failure could have been prevented... my disease process went undiagnosed and then misdiagnosed for 20 years.  It also turned out I was prescribed the wrong medication for my condition (which almost killed me) as well as the right medication in the wrong dosage so it did absolutely no good.   

Five and a half years on dialysis has been difficult and debilitating.  I do not do well despite aggressive hemodialysis treatments... four hours per session five days a week.  I have significant complications that have nearly ruined my quality of life.   

I went from being extremely active... rode horses, snow skied, ice skated, hiked, biked, played tennis, and raised and showed my own Golden Retrievers... enjoyed active memberships in numerous clubs with frequent social outings and travel... to being a virtual recluse.  I go to dialysis and back and that wipes me out.  My husband (bless his supportive soul and generous heart) takes care of the dogs and house... without him even my beloved Goldens would be a thing of the past.   

Now I have osteoporosis secondary to my renal failure that has cost me 3" in height and I must wear a lumbar support and use a walker to prevent falls.  I look like crap.  UCLA gives me the runaround regarding my transplant status and when I can expect "The Call."   

The frustration and depression are wilting at times.  The highly restrictive diet would make anyone crazy.  Recently I became unable to bathe myself - how humiliating is THAT?  Except for a very few close friends and family, no one calls or cares.  When acquaintences ask "How are you?" I never know whether to murmur a polite "Fine, thanks" or launch into the 20 minute litany of how awful things really are.  I usually choose the former... after all, who really wants to listen to all my various woes?  Just because *I* have to put up with them day in and day out does not mean I should whine about them to people who can really do nothing to help.  It only makes them feel helpless and me feel weak for not sucking it up.  I HATE (absolutely HATE) being defined by my illness.  Kidney failure is not who I am, it is what has happened to me.   

I email Dr Phil and Oprah repeatedly begging them to do shows on rare diseases so people can learn about my condition which I believe goes largely undiagnosed.  No one should have to lose their kidney function when it is preventable!  If anyone reading this produces calcium oxalate kidney stones, go to www.ohf.org and see if you fit the profile.  If so, DO NOT REST until your doctors do the proper diagnostics to determine if you have this condition!  You are your own best health care advocate!!!  You only get one set of kidneys... when they are gone, so too will be any vestige of your former life.  Don't let what happened to me happen to you.   

So... anyone out there have a B+ kidney to spare?  Ha ha, that's only half a joke.  Being one of the 65,000 Americans waiting for a kidney sure makes you look at the obits differently.  How many people take perfectly viable organs to the grave with them?  If you want to make a difference, support legislation to make organ donorship an "opt-OUT" system instead of the "opt-IN" system it currently is today.   

No one needs to reply to this... I am just venting.  In my dreams I am still healthy but my waking hours are a nightmare I can't wake up from and never will.   

Sign me,  

NO WAY OUT 

I strongly urge you to make your voice heard!  You have the power to be a big benefit in others' lives to help them from experiencing the same thing.  Help out the people before you who might end up in the situation you are in!  Let your voice be heard by state reps, etc.!  I believe you can start some legislation by pushing the envelope in your state! 

I'm sorry I do not have an extra kidney to spare.  My friend has only one kidney that he's managed to deal with for a long time now.  Unfortunately you are worse off than he is, but you are still strong!  I hope you are able to find some peace in your life.  But please let your voice be heard.  Do not wait to get on a show, as they are slow in responding due to large volumns of people asking for help.  Create a support group or organization that will help you as well as others!  This is my advice.  I wish you the best!  Stay strong! 

Yours truly, 

fyte4acure 

October 7, 2005, 10:55 am CDT

Yes it is all About the Cure

Quote From: fyte4acure

I do not know how to read the shared diary.  I'm sure it is full of lots of hope.  I appreciate the thoughts.  Hope is what keeps us together.  I'm glad it helps you. 

I do not believe that one can fight a painful disease by just hoping.  We must attack this at the core, the biological aspect of the disease itself. 

If you have a painful disease, don't forget to get your voice out and talk to your state representatives!  The states fork a lot of money out for people with disabilities.  Let's help the state save money and demand for more money for research for a cure for painful diseases!  Join me in the fight on the website:  arthritis.org.  They are trying to pass an Arthritis Prevention, Control, and Cure Act of 2005.  It's not just for arthritis, it's a fight againt pain and disability. 

Yours truly, 

fyte4acure 

To go into a shared diary click on the name of the person who answered you such as mine "bastanz".  It will take you to another page, go to the bottom and click on "view this persons shared diaries".  The last entry will pop up so in order to get to the first entry the name of the diary appears on the left of the screen.  Mine is Empowering Yourself ....  Click on that.  I wrote into Dr. Phil's computer staff telling them the next page, last page thing doesn't work so you have to keep using your browser back button to get to the next days show reveal. 

It is more than just hope to be cured.  It is how to empower yourself to health and be healed, free of all pain.  I will be starting this shows suggested diet tomorrow early morning.  I welcome you and any other persons to see your life change.  Maybe we can give each other help during the die off stage of mycotoxins in our bodies.  That part of the diary which explains what to eat is in my shared diary under the title 10/07/05 health show.  Lets go for it - what do you have to loose!  Don't just sit back and wait for someone else.  There is a cure for ALL painful diseases and I start tomorrow. 

October 7, 2005, 11:01 am CDT

Here is the Diet to Rid Yourself of ALL Illness

I am starting this diet tomorrow for guaranteed great health.  If you wish real all the details of the how and why in my shared diary under my screen name "bastanz".  Would anyone else like to join me? 

They explained fully what a phase 1 diet is for 1 month or more if you are really sick: 

NO grains whatsoever (toast, muffins, bread, pasta, pizza, bagels, cereals) 

NO corn or peanuts 

No Sugar or Yeast 

You can eat as much as you like of the following during the first month: 

Prefer grass fed beef (regular beef contains antibiotics that is given to the animals) 

Fowl 

Chicken 

Eggs 

Vegetables 

Green Apples 

Grapefruits  

Berries 

Nuts (no peanuts, although they are really a bean) 

What you are doing is completely starving the fungus. Bear with the dieoff of the fungus which may make you feel a lttle sick but it will disappear. 

October 9, 2005, 8:47 am CDT

Grapeseed extract

Quote From: dutchkarin

That  is so great to hear, I'am very happy for you! but I really don't know what a grapeseed is, can you explain that to me, please. 

I wish you all the luck you need for your health! 

Take care, Karin 

Grapeseed extract is a supplement, relatively easy to find in health food stores,  and most drug and grocery stores.  As with any supplement, check the ingredient list--I bought some once and it was bright purple as they'd used food coloring; not what we want. 

I took 50 to 100 mg to start, but when I upped my dose to 300 mg a day, I was awake with comfortable muscles the next day.  What I get comes from a small local chain with a good price on their house vitamins, but Twin Labs is a national company that has a good source and I'm sure there are others.  My pills are gel caps with powder in them; mixed with milk it turns lavender (gave  my baby some years ago). 

Grapeseed extract is a powerful antioxidant, I forget the numbers, but something like 50,000 times more powerful than vit. C, 10,000 times more powerfull than vit. E (don't quote me--am sure those numbers are wrong!) and will synergize and make any other antioxidants you take in work better. 

Good luck and blessings.  You can get better.  I did and I was not the first!  Linda 

October 10, 2005, 3:46 am CDT

I began Saturday night

I am starting this diet tomorrow for guaranteed great health.  If you wish real all the details of the how and why in my shared diary under my screen name "bastanz".  Would anyone else like to join me? 

They explained fully what a phase 1 diet is for 1 month or more if you are really sick: 

NO corn or peanuts 

No Sugar or Yeast 

Prefer grass fed beef (regular beef contains antibiotics that is given to the animals) 

Fowl 

Chicken 

Eggs 

Vegetables 

Green Apples 

Grapefruits  

Berries 

What you are doing is completely starving the fungus. Bear with the dieoff of the fungus which may make you feel a lttle sick but it will disappear. 

I began saturday night by not having my sugars.  Sunday the same no sugars at all.  By 6:30 PM I was craving sugar.  Ate lots of salad and no carbs with dinner and had my usual herbs.  did not forget to take my probiotics.  Went to look in the mirror at my tongue and tons and tons of white.  That is the yeast trying to find something to live off of.  Still there this morning.  I went into my journal and posted another item yesterday about mold exposure in the home and the symptons.  Boy, fibromyalgia has a lot of symptons.  I went thru the whole list and I had a ton of those symptons throughout my lifetime.  My childhood amoxcillian must have started the whole process.

October 10, 2005, 10:11 am CDT

To Linda

Quote From: healer1

Grapeseed extract is a supplement, relatively easy to find in health food stores,  and most drug and grocery stores.  As with any supplement, check the ingredient list--I bought some once and it was bright purple as they'd used food coloring; not what we want. 

I took 50 to 100 mg to start, but when I upped my dose to 300 mg a day, I was awake with comfortable muscles the next day.  What I get comes from a small local chain with a good price on their house vitamins, but Twin Labs is a national company that has a good source and I'm sure there are others.  My pills are gel caps with powder in them; mixed with milk it turns lavender (gave  my baby some years ago). 

Grapeseed extract is a powerful antioxidant, I forget the numbers, but something like 50,000 times more powerful than vit. C, 10,000 times more powerfull than vit. E (don't quote me--am sure those numbers are wrong!) and will synergize and make any other antioxidants you take in work better. 

Good luck and blessings.  You can get better.  I did and I was not the first!  Linda 

Hi Linda , thank you very much, I found the Latin name on the internet and then I could look for the name in my language, now I know what it is, I will check some site's here in the Netherlands about the Grapeseed. 

Thanks again and take care, 

Karin 

October 11, 2005, 11:48 am CDT

3rd Day on Diet

I began saturday night by not having my sugars.  Sunday the same no sugars at all.  By 6:30 PM I was craving sugar.  Ate lots of salad and no carbs with dinner and had my usual herbs.  did not forget to take my probiotics.  Went to look in the mirror at my tongue and tons and tons of white.  That is the yeast trying to find something to live off of.  Still there this morning.  I went into my journal and posted another item yesterday about mold exposure in the home and the symptons.  Boy, fibromyalgia has a lot of symptons.  I went thru the whole list and I had a ton of those symptons throughout my lifetime.  My childhood amoxcillian must have started the whole process.
Yesterday, day 2, was a little hard with the sugar cravings and had some things showing up.  Also avoided all carbs.  In the AM felt a little dazed, sniffles, aches and was not thinking clearly.  But then again I knew it would be coming and everything got better later in the day.  Today is the 3rd day and feeling ok.  Again no carbs and sweets.  I added some important facts in my shared journal documented medical articles and findings. 

October 11, 2005, 2:28 pm CDT

You forgot BANANAS!

NO corn or peanuts 

No Sugar or Yeast 

Fowl 

Chicken 

Eggs 

Vegetables 

Green Apples 

Grapefruits  

Berries 

Ah, thank you for the dietary info.  I've done and tried all of this.  Every little bit helps, but doesn't "get rid of illness, per say."   

Thanks for the info!  By the way, Gorillas in my head are yelling out, "Don't forget bananas!!!!"  Ha ha!  Although I'm not sure where the Gorillas came from, I think they are pretty wise.  ; ) 

Yours truly, 

fyte4acure 

October 11, 2005, 3:51 pm CDT

Learning you have cancer..

I just found out yesterday that, in addition to endometriosis and ovarian cysts, I also have cervical cancer. I am a homemaker with no insurance and am lucky enough to have found a gyn that has "connections" and referred me to a surgeon that will help me work out the finances of surgery.  That was before the "cancer" diagnoses, though.  God put Dr. Fiorica (the surgeon), Dr Sudbury (my gyn), and Dr Canada (my family dr) in my path for healthcare.   

Even with my faith, I'm anxious as both my parents died of cancers.  And we have 5 kids between us, so they're care and transportation to school is my "job."   

Dr. Phil, if you can offer some counsel, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you! 

Amy  

Bradenton, FL 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last