Message Boards

Topic : Living with Chronic Pain

Number of Replies: 7290
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:06:20 am
Author : dataimport
Do you or someone you love suffer from chronic pain? Share support with others here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 27, 2008, 3:57 pm CST

Message # 8986...and counting!!

What can I say...I'm a statistics freak!!  But almost 9000 messages on this board...and they want to take it away for their new-fangled board that many of us might not be able to get to...I'm terribly technologically in-ept...I am signed up...but I haven't been back to the beta site since then...LET'S TRY TO GET THE MESSAGE COUNT ON THIS BOARD UP OVER 9000 BEFORE THEY CUT US OFF!!

Kulinary Kid's soup is the "soup of the day" at the restaurant where he is serving his externship...and I had a hand in creating it...the whole family made suggestions for seasoning...it is Butternut Squash and Apple soup...yum!!  I made it with silken tofu...being lactose intolerant and all...K. Kid altered the recipe to whole cream for the restaurant....the *Best* soup of the week is served on Saturday...I'm excited to hear what the customers think!!

I am currently roasting seasoned bread cubes for homemade stuffing to go with tonight's turkey...the turkey is in the oven...the stuffing will be baked when the turkey comes out of the oven...I don't know how to use the K. Kid's fancy meat thermometer...I'll have to use my "old-fashioned" thermometer...or just look at it and see if the juices run clear...the real old-fashioned way of testing for doneness......my mom used to make stuffing completely from scratch...I usually use Mrs. Cubbison's seasoned stuffing mix...but I forgot to buy it when I went to the store...John and the kids are out....they took K. Kid to work, and they are out browsing now....so I have the house to myself...when the bread is done roasting, I'll have some time to get the song, that I wrote, down on staff paper...on the computer...we have a program just for writing music....I'm on the last pan of bread...and the turkey giblets, neck, and veggies are simmering in the pot, so I can use the broth in the stuffing....yum!! 

After paying the bills, and getting our prescriptions for this 2 weeks, we are short on cash...I'm glad we have a turkey...we can get at least a week's worth of meals out of it...what with turkey, and then with turkey enchiladas (another recipe creation of mine), and of course, turkey soup, with the carcass...I use cloves when I simmer it...my mom's recipe...and then I remove the cloves when I take out the bones....sometimes, I make stew out of it, with dumplings...it's a "that day" decision...depends on my mood....

So anyway...Prof...it appears that you are having a rough time of it (big understatement)....I wish I could be there to help you wash your hair and cook your lentil soup....I don't know how you manage it...does Hank know how to cook soup?  (just a thought)....I'm glad that you have your kitties to keep your spirits up....it's amazing how much our pets help us....

Dianah...I didn't see any recent postings from you...I hope everything is OK...you are usually here every day....I haven't seen a recent national weather broadcast...they keep promising us a big snow storm...but so far just a skiff of snow....still waiting for the "big one"....actually, I'd be happy if it skipped us and just dropped in the mountains....the roads have gotten pretty good for the moment...people become complacent when that happens...and then they have to learn all over again to be careful when the snow flies again.....yesterday, we witnessed a near accident....somebody pulled out in front of another car....fortunately, the other guy had quick reflexes and good brakes...he slid on the ice a little...but he still managed to miss the bozo....I sent you an email with the Butternut Squash and Apple soup recipe...

Carol, I'm glad you're here...Prof needs all the support she can get...and you are so faithful about sending her messages...I sent you a copy of the recipe as well....

So....maybe with all of us posting, we can send the message count up over 9000 before they end our board....I sure hope I can find the "new" pain board....thanks prof for the link!!

Becky

December 28, 2008, 12:36 am CST

Message #8987

Getting closer to the 9000 mark...Dianah...I went back and re-read your last message...I hope you're having a good time on your vacation...will you be back before this board blows up?  (I mean becomes "read only")...I hope to hear lots of great stories about your trip...

congrats to hubby on his winning of the gun & scope...John is so jealous!!

Becky

December 28, 2008, 9:58 am CST

Dec 28th Good Morning Everyone....

Hello Hello Hello....

The sun is shinning bright this morning and the temp is... 32 Above... and wind chill is 20 above.. Yahoo.. We can handle anything that is ABOVE..... Calling for high winds today...

For the new folks... Sending you a huge WELCOME to the board.....  I am so sorry that chronic pain has brought you here.. but it's wonderful to know you are not alone.....

My Mini Vacation was wonderful... Our big day of shopping was cut short.. it was just too Busy and too many people. But, I did end up with a really nice "wolverine vest" and that made my day.. Also three bags of the famous nuts from Cabals.. Yummy.. two bags of pecans and one almond...

Of course, I ate very well.. two days of Prim Rib and one night of crap legs... My pants were telling me I ate way too much good food... ha ha ha.....

Hubby and I had a extra good time together.. we both were just relaxed and enjoyed the night out on the town... ha, we were back to our Motel room by 10. "old age"..... but this was a Needed get-away.......

I will see my Dr on Tue and I hope we can get me "set up" for my cpap mach... before the 1st of the year....

Becky... Thank You so much for sharing the soup recipe.. it sounds wonderful and I 'm going to get the things for it today at the grocery store...

Sounds like you had a wonderful and calm ch eve and day...  turkey enchiladas sound way good..

Hubby is still on cloud 9 about his big winnings... he was telling anyone and everyone he talked to about it... the guy at the other Sports Store was patting him on the back... Men or SO FUNNY......

Hope the weekend is being kind to your "body".... and you are finding some down time for YOU.. HUG HUG HUG......

Carol... I'm so excited that the trip to the new Dr' s went so Wonderful.. I just giggle thinking of the boxer shorts.. too funny....

But how wonderful you and hubby both feel "good" about this new Dr and place.. This is good news!!

I just have to SMILE.. everyone of us on the board are such huge animal lovers.. there is something here!!!!  It's so great Hubby is taking care of that poor cat... ahhhhhh...... HUG HUG HUG.................

Prof..... Oh... not Sleeping is Not Good.... Do you think maybe trying some am-bin or a relaxer might do the trick????? Just know I am so feeling for you.... this just makes the Days too long and the "fog" is not a good place to be in......

This should make you SMILE.... Of course, we were home about 10 minutes and Hubby was feeling for the horses next door.. he had cubes in the back of his truck.. so he just drove over to the fence and got out and gave them the half  bag of cubes....

When he turned around to get back in the truck.... the neighbor was standing on his porch and was hollering at hubby..... "I feed them horses hay"...... And Hubby yelled back and told him.. "what the %^$$ are you &*^%**^ about... this feed is not coming out of your pocket" and hubby had both hands up in the air......... so Hubby stood there and waiting for big mouth to say something else...... Nothing....... So he got back in the truck and came home............

I am so glad big mouth did not say anything else.. Oh.. hubby is just itching to put his head in a pile of horse poop....... ha ha ha.....

Speaking of hubby... he's ready to run to town and do some grocery shopping.. so that means I need to make a List..... Sending you many but easy hugs..........

Okay...  need to take care of hubby here....

Sending All My LOVE and HOPE and HUGS..... Diana

December 28, 2008, 12:54 pm CST

#8990!! Ten more to go until the magic number

Quote From: profderien

good morning, becky -- (sunday morning),

it's a blur.  let's see. 

oh, zut alors.  i just erased all that i wrote -- i think i fell asleep with my finger holding a key down.

anyway... i just did a calculation of how much sleep i have had since friday -- about 4 hours.

the pain i am having is really different and i keep injuring myself, or putting pressures on those raw tissues in my shoulder areas.

well. i cannot string any sentences together, so i am going....

be well --

prof

I hope that everybody will muddle through on the "new" format...we don't want to lose friends on account of technology....I see that there are some newbies posting over there...I posted a brief message there...prof is right...the colors are annoying...

Prof...I'm keeping you in my prayers...do take it easy...I am a little experienced with post-surgery pain and the rawness of it all...but you are beyond the limits that anybody should have to endure...I "feel" for you...I wish I could be there with you and make you some soup...some nice turkey soup with lots of naturally-occuring triptophan to lull you to sleep...that's my wish for you...sleep and rest...

Dianah...skating rink is the word here...we had 42 degrees for most of the afternoon and evening...then it all froze!!  I was completely frazzled by the time we got to church...NO BRAKES was the word...those using their brakes ended up in the ditch!!  And there were numerous people in the ditch...and we still managed to have a "full house" in church this morning...it is warm again today...and John has to leave at 5 AM tomorrow....hopefully, the roads will have a chance to dry out a little before he has to drive on them...he has to go to Ephrata and Okanogen again....over the river and through the woods...

I'm so excited that you are trying the soup...a small caution for you...DON'T over-do it on the cayenne pepper...the K. Kid over-did it on the cayenne pepper on his batch of soup at work...and it was in-edible...he tripled the recipe to make enough for the restaurant...apparently, when you triple a recipe, you DON'T triple the hotness spices!!  They are letting him try it again next week...with less hotness...at least they're giving him another shot at it...

Carol...you're too on my prayer list...I wish the best for you and hubby....keep up on the research online, so you will be armed with lots of info when you go to the doctors....some don't appreciate the patient knowing "too much", but most do appreciate patients coming in with an understanding of their condition...

I'm going to pop over to the "new" board...something I DON'T like over there is that when you reply to a post, it doesn't put a repeat of it with your post, so it's confusing to read the posts and figure out exactly what people are talking about...I have to read them backwards, starting with my own last post, so I can follow the plot...frustrating...I hope that the moderators read what is posted, and that we will all voice any frustrations that we have with the new format...so they'll tailor it to our liking...because it is "our" board afterall....

Have a good day...Becky

December 29, 2008, 5:36 am CST

Monday Morning......

Good Morning Everyone

Of course, I have not made the "time" to try the new thing here.. I 'm a little worried.. but good thing, when I have had problems.. the "help people' on the Site are really good and they 'talk" to me in SLOW words.. ha ha ha....... I remind them that I am slow at this computer thing.....

Heat wave this morning, were at 17 above......

The hair on the back of my neck stood up when Becky was talking about driving on ICE... UGGGG,,, nothing worse.....

We are still looking at some snow this week and high winds, which means LOW TEMPS..... wow, I think we are still trying to come out of this last "deep-freeze" we just had......

Mom's new trailer is looking So Cute.... Oh, the kitchen is my favorite... I need to get over there and help with the top cupboards in the kitchen and one bathroom is left.....

Grandma that I take care of,... had a bad day last week.. well, she did not do well while I was gone.. she's on Oxygen as we speak now.... poor Girl... So I'm heading over there this morning to see what's going on.

She thinks it's her Asama kicking up... I don't know.. but we will see what's going on.... that waking up and not being able to breath  is not good.....

I was heading to my Welders house today, but he has pluming problems going on and wants the guy to see the saw dust in the bottom of his tubs... yik........

I'm sitting her looking like "orphan Annie or Shirley Temple"... I was bored yesterday and decided to throw my hair in some curlers.. WOW....  it SCARED me when I took them out first thing this morning... HA HA HA... So now sure what I'm going to do with it now?????????

Well, the "kids" are still out of school for another week... I just can not believe we are so Close to 2009..

One of my friends is having a party in her new family room... so I guess I will go there for a few hrs the 31st.... I just Hate being on the roads at all on that day or night... it's not Me I'm worried about,.....

Okay... Wishing Everyone a Wonderful Monday.......

All My Love and Hope and HUGS... Love Dianah

December 29, 2008, 1:44 pm CST

w-i-n-d-y

Quote From: dianah

Good Morning Everyone

Of course, I have not made the "time" to try the new thing here.. I 'm a little worried.. but good thing, when I have had problems.. the "help people' on the Site are really good and they 'talk" to me in SLOW words.. ha ha ha....... I remind them that I am slow at this computer thing.....

Heat wave this morning, were at 17 above......

The hair on the back of my neck stood up when Becky was talking about driving on ICE... UGGGG,,, nothing worse.....

We are still looking at some snow this week and high winds, which means LOW TEMPS..... wow, I think we are still trying to come out of this last "deep-freeze" we just had......

Mom's new trailer is looking So Cute.... Oh, the kitchen is my favorite... I need to get over there and help with the top cupboards in the kitchen and one bathroom is left.....

Grandma that I take care of,... had a bad day last week.. well, she did not do well while I was gone.. she's on Oxygen as we speak now.... poor Girl... So I'm heading over there this morning to see what's going on.

She thinks it's her Asama kicking up... I don't know.. but we will see what's going on.... that waking up and not being able to breath  is not good.....

I was heading to my Welders house today, but he has pluming problems going on and wants the guy to see the saw dust in the bottom of his tubs... yik........

I'm sitting her looking like "orphan Annie or Shirley Temple"... I was bored yesterday and decided to throw my hair in some curlers.. WOW....  it SCARED me when I took them out first thing this morning... HA HA HA... So now sure what I'm going to do with it now?????????

Well, the "kids" are still out of school for another week... I just can not believe we are so Close to 2009..

One of my friends is having a party in her new family room... so I guess I will go there for a few hrs the 31st.... I just Hate being on the roads at all on that day or night... it's not Me I'm worried about,.....

Okay... Wishing Everyone a Wonderful Monday.......

All My Love and Hope and HUGS... Love Dianah

Howdy ho...eight more messages until 9000!!

We had a lot of snow coming down this morning...now we are up above freezing, and it is melting, with high winds...

And, as for me, I can hardly wait for school to start again...now the kids are argueing because one of them "dumped" his monopoly money in an effort to lose and end the game...and the one who "won" is upset because he "didn't really win"...oh brother...get something worth while to argue about...or better yet...just get along!!

I just wanted an enjoyable quiet day at home...so much for that!!  And the K. kid is hold up in his room with his computer...claiming "sore throat"...the youngest son wanted to play a game of monopoly with oldest brother....

I finally have my song all down on paper!!  And now, middle son can start practicing it for solo & ensemble contest...it is a pretty neat song...perfect for trumpet...challenging...a real work-out for the lungs and fingers...and the lips...

The snow is blowing again...I heard that we will be having 50 mph winds...I guess I'll just hunker down under my nice down blanket...and plug my ears from the kids argueing...

We are about to hear the pleasant melodies of a beginning saxophone player (youngest son)...it beats argueing....

Well...gotta help him with his music...and then middle son...Becky

PS  K. kid is about to get a snow ball down his back....he needs to come out of his pit of a room and spend some "quality time" with the family!!

I haven't heard from John yet...that is good news I hope....he is on his way through the blowing snow up to the northern reaches of Washington state....

December 29, 2008, 6:21 pm CST

Carol

Quote From: dusktodawn

Hi Prof,

Sounds like your road is a little rocky right now and I wish with all of my heart that I could take away your pain and bring you back to a healthy you again. I understand what lack of sleep can do to a person because at the moment I myself am not sleeping all that well and it does wear you down. I will continue to pray for you as I do everyday and pray that the doctors get this infection problem under control so that you can get some relief here. Are you having any home health aids come to your home to help? I know having your hair washed must have been a challenge for you. When I broke my wrist it gave me an awareness of all of the things that I took for granted when I wasn't in a cast and could do things like washing up that I hadn't appreciated before. My husband goes back to Dana Faber on Monday to see a radiologist and hopefully they will have the results of the PET scan and that it will come back ok...please keep us in your prayers...will keep you updated....we were concerned that the kitty that we feed had something happen to it because it hadn't been around for a few days and we had two rather good size snow storms but this morning kitty was back and I was happy to see him...my husband was really glad to hear that he was back and I know that taking care of the kitty calms him and with everything that is going on I think my husband needs the kitty as much as the kitty need him...I know having you feline friends around you must help to calm you also...take care and know that you are in my daily thoughts and prayers.....Carol

So...what did the radiologist say about the PET scan?  I've been keeping you and hubby in my prayers...

You're right...pets are such an important part of our lives...whether we want to admit it or not...We have 4 cats and 2 dogs...and they all provide furry warmth, love, and plenty of entertainment...

Please post and let us know what you found out...

Becky

December 29, 2008, 6:33 pm CST

Monday night....

Just kinda board.. or the truth.. not wanting to go in the kitchen and do those dishes... ha ha.....

Becky.. We have the winds, but no snow.. I guess Wed night it should hit and a little on Thur morning.. But we are under a "dust alert" due to the wind blowing so hard....

HA HA HA... kids are home and driving Mom Nuts... Oh, I remember those days... and to cold to go outside and blow off some energy........

Hope John makes it home safe and sound......

HUG HUG HUG....

Okay.. what about the rest of you Wild Ones out there..

I ran back to Grandma's at 4:40 and made dinner and finished a load of cloths and did a few dishes and we watched O-Really show.. pretty funny tonight....

Have baby back ribs and cheddar mashed potato's ready for dinner.. thought I would eat with hubby, since it's only 20 more minutes until he's home.....

I sure hope Sleep is the word going on tonight, for everyone.... Grandma's Niece is spending the night with her tonight... so that's good on my end.....

Okay.. Hope for everyone to get some good Zzzzzzz's ... Good Night.. Love Diana

December 30, 2008, 1:55 pm CST

posting one-handed

got cat on my shoulder...so only one hand available to type...

warm temps again today...by our standards, anyway...34 degrees...glad i don't have to drive in the am tomorrow...will be icy...

kids geting along today...all-day game of monopoly...

only a few more messages on this board to reach 9000...and only today and tomorrow to accomplish it...

carol...waiting to hear about hubby's doc visit...hope all is ok...

prof...hope you are resting...

dianah...hope you are havivg a good day...

gotta get some chores done...ran errands this am...

becky

December 30, 2008, 6:16 pm CST

anybody here??

I feel so lonely on the board today...is everybody getting ready for New Year's Eve?  We're planning a quiet evening at home, watching the New York ball drop 3-hours-post-live....maybe we'll watch the one in LA....the count-down is on....

Becky

First | Prev | 722 | 723 | 724 | 725 | 726 | 727 | 728 | Next | Last