Message Boards

Topic : Living with Chronic Pain

Number of Replies: 7290
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:06:20 am
Author : dataimport
Do you or someone you love suffer from chronic pain? Share support with others here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 30, 2008, 6:19 pm CST

PROF!!!

Quote From: profderien

i saw a different PA at the infectious disease doc's this afternoon.  she saw me in the hospital a few times and looks to be about 12 years old.  she has no fluff about her and pretty much just conveys the ID doc's opinion verbatim.

the word is that i must have the spacer on the right side removed as they believe it is nothing more than a foreign body now -- upon which the mysterious and unidentifiable pathogen is colonizing.  my white count and c-reactive protein are high.  pain is high.  and so on and so forth.

i asked, as i always ask, if we aren't just going from bone to bone, joint to joint, and where/when will we stop.  of course, no one can answer.

i really do think this may ultimately kill me. in any event, i refuse to even think about another surgery before the 6 weeks of i.v. vancomycin are completed.

Howdy prof...we were posting at the same time...glad to see you here...but your news isn't the best...hopefully, the antibiotic will improve things for you....you've been in my thoughts and prayers...

Becky

December 31, 2008, 7:14 am CST

Living with Chronic Pain

Quote From: mustbecrazy

got cat on my shoulder...so only one hand available to type...

warm temps again today...by our standards, anyway...34 degrees...glad i don't have to drive in the am tomorrow...will be icy...

kids geting along today...all-day game of monopoly...

only a few more messages on this board to reach 9000...and only today and tomorrow to accomplish it...

carol...waiting to hear about hubby's doc visit...hope all is ok...

prof...hope you are resting...

dianah...hope you are havivg a good day...

gotta get some chores done...ran errands this am...

becky

Hi Becky,

My husband's PET scan came back ok so we are grateful for that but he was all pumped up and ready to have the surgery on Monday and he found out yesterday that he isn't scheduled for Monday because the surgeon doesn't have all of the data yet to proceed. Guess she wanted the actual slides of the cancer cells to look at and she wasn't getting them until yesterday and I think she is taking the next couple of days off for a New Year's  holiday so he was a little bothered last night because he is just anxious to get things done. I think the  fact that they told him that this is the most lethal of skin cancers and that time is of the essence may be the cause of the anxiety and rightfully so. So as of now we know he is having surgery done soon but we just don't know when. Also this surgery is going to prevent him from having radiation for about 6 weeks until he heals and from what we have read radiation helps in preventing it from spreading so knowing that it won't happen for a while is unnerving..If you have any thoughts from your experience that you could share with me I would be so grateful. My e-mail address is Carol0520@aol.com. I had a meltdown this morning after he left for work and called my cousin just to have someone to talk to. Her mom died from Melanoma and she understands the fears I am having. Sometimes I think it is harder when you know all of what can happen. My husband is a fighter and his personality is one that is usually upbeat so I think once we get things in motion he will do better it is the waiting that is the source of most of the stress. I will try going to the Beta site tomorrow but I wish that this site was not going to be dismantled. I have come to enjoy being a part of this group of terrific group of people that I now consider friends. I wish you and your family a happy,healthy and safe New Year...take care.

Carol

December 31, 2008, 1:29 pm CST

Message # 9000!!!!!!!!!

Quote From: dusktodawn

Hi Becky,

My husband's PET scan came back ok so we are grateful for that but he was all pumped up and ready to have the surgery on Monday and he found out yesterday that he isn't scheduled for Monday because the surgeon doesn't have all of the data yet to proceed. Guess she wanted the actual slides of the cancer cells to look at and she wasn't getting them until yesterday and I think she is taking the next couple of days off for a New Year's  holiday so he was a little bothered last night because he is just anxious to get things done. I think the  fact that they told him that this is the most lethal of skin cancers and that time is of the essence may be the cause of the anxiety and rightfully so. So as of now we know he is having surgery done soon but we just don't know when. Also this surgery is going to prevent him from having radiation for about 6 weeks until he heals and from what we have read radiation helps in preventing it from spreading so knowing that it won't happen for a while is unnerving..If you have any thoughts from your experience that you could share with me I would be so grateful. My e-mail address is Carol0520@aol.com. I had a meltdown this morning after he left for work and called my cousin just to have someone to talk to. Her mom died from Melanoma and she understands the fears I am having. Sometimes I think it is harder when you know all of what can happen. My husband is a fighter and his personality is one that is usually upbeat so I think once we get things in motion he will do better it is the waiting that is the source of most of the stress. I will try going to the Beta site tomorrow but I wish that this site was not going to be dismantled. I have come to enjoy being a part of this group of terrific group of people that I now consider friends. I wish you and your family a happy,healthy and safe New Year...take care.

Carol

9000 messages, and they want to dismantle this board....some of the people posting to this site have moved over to the beta site...including prof...and a couple of new people....I hope everybody can find their way through the muck of the new site....I don't like the new site because we can't refer to the post to which we are replying...and my memory isn't all that good....I'd like to see any post while posting my own message...I'd sound a lot more informed and intelligent about other people's issues, that's for sure....

My cousin had melanoma, diagnosed when he was 19 years old...and he lived for 20 years after that...he was written up in medical journals because of being such a long-lived survivor...he did his research (before the days of internet), and he had the latest treatments available at the time...they have learned a lot since then, and I know that they are coming up with new meds and procedures all the time...and better diagnostic tools....

It is scary having to wait for the surgery....I don't know how fast melanoma spreads...but it would certainly make me nervous having to wait...I had to wait 6 weeks from diagnosis to surgery...but it all turned out OK...for now....they said that "got it all" with the mastectomy...and they do mammograms every 6 months, and a breast MRI every year....still, it's like waiting for the other shoe to fall....the week before my mastectomy, I had a colonoscopy, and they found pre-cancerous colon polyps...which, according to the doctor, would have been full-blown colon cancer, if I had waited until age 50 to have the colonoscopy....which is the "normal" age to have one....but people with a history of breast cancer are at higher risk for colon cancer...so more cancer is always at the back of my mind....I would like to have a PET scan, just to reassure myself, but so far, the doc hasn't suggested it....I guess I should ask at my next check-up...

Check the internet for the latest info on melanoma...but beware of the sites selling "miracle cures"...they don't exist..."emu oil" won't cure a thing...but there is a lot of GOOD info out there...and it helps to be armed with all the info you can get...

With research on the internet, I went into the oncologist's office more informed, and that made it easier to understand my treatment options...the chemo was OUT because of the heart arrhythmia....and I didn't need radiation because of having a radical mastectomy....and the cancer hadn't spread to the lymph nodes....I feel very lucky...

I hope you can muddle your way to the new site...we want everybody to be over there and not miss out....

Have a happy new year....

Becky

December 31, 2008, 2:50 pm CST

Happy NEW YEARS EVE Everyone.......

Good Afternoon

No Dr Phil this afternoon, Football is on... Ugggggg......

I had a phone call at 6:10 this morning and it was Grandma's Daughter and Grandma was ready to go to the Hospital.. her breathing was not good and a ton of pressure....

So I was off and running on only 1 cup of coffee.. not good... But, she has fluid on her lung and they went ahead and admitted her in to the hospital.. WHEW-WW... I was glad and Daughter's were glad... So I was relived at 1 this afternoon and ran to the pharmacy and home....

Did dishes, started laundry, making a beef pot-pie for dinner and going to pick up the living room here in a minute and start on another load of laundry and take a bath and Mom and I will eat at 6 and watch Nancy Grace.....

I'm staying HOME tonight.. was invited to a party, but this old Girl is Wore Out and Stressed Out.. and TIRED......

Did not get my cpap mach.. Ins is messing around... Ugggg... I was so excited to start on it.. maybe Friday.....

Becky... Sorry u were feeling alone... But glad the kids are not killing each other today... and glad you are staying home and being "safe"/... ha, our weather is nice... 42 above and only 23 mph winds... but calling for snow tonight...

I'm having a really hard time on the new board.. I did find YOU..... but not sure where I am at....

Enjoy your calm and quiet evening... HUG HUG HUG.....

Carol... I'm so sorry the surgery was canceled, but in the same breath, so glad the Dr is So On Top of Things.. that's Wonderful....

And I'm sorry you had a melt-down today.. but maybe your body needed to let some of the Stress out... So I'm hoping you are feeling much better now.....

Enjoy the Evening.. Be Safe... HUG HUG HUG

PROF... I knew you had an apt on Tue... So... what was the bottom line with this new Dr.??? Did you like her or not??????

How often do you have to go to this one???? I'm thinking every two weeks???

What's on the menu for the next two days??? anything good????

I wanted steak tonight, but too tired and lazy to run into the store this afternoon and town was crazy.. I had to do the drive up at the pharmacy.. and that was enough.. So making beef pot pie... pretty easy....

Thank-goodness, Grandma has a good lunch at the hospital today.. lasagna-mixed veggies and salad and choc fluff.. So she was a happy camper.....

I bet the trip out yesterday, wore you out......

I was getting ready to leave at 4:30 yesterday  but had to run over to Mom's and I asked her if she wanted to babysit the dog while I was gone. she said yes... So on my way home, I was talking to my friend in TX and I pulled up to Moms' and told her.. "wait just a minute, I have to pick the dog up from Grandma's"... when I came back and put the dog in the car. My Friend was Laughing So Hard... she said she never thought I would be dropping off a dog, at my Moms' to be "babysat"... we laughed for a good 5 minutes about it....

Oh, I can't wait for this cpap mach and see if it's going to help me feel better here... I'm so tired of being tired, I could just scream.......

Hey, You and Wild Man try to behave tonight..... I need to run and feed the horses and then a bath and throw dinner in the oven....

Hope the ZZZzzzz thing is going on for you... (fingers crossed)... HUG HUG HUG.....

Okay Everyone.......

Be Safe tonight and will talk to you all next year...... All my Love and Hope....... Diana

January 1, 2009, 6:35 am CST

HAPPY NEW YEAR... 2009... WOW..............

Good Morning and so nice to be having coffee with all of you this Brand New Year....

Happy to report, it's Snowing, side-ways this moring.. yes, wind is blowing... but it's 23 above.. wind at 10 and wind chill at 12 Above.....

I did not stay awake to see the Ball Fall.. but I'm sure it did fine with out me this year...

I'm working on putting hot rollers in my hair and only have enough clips to do one section at a time and I have three... hope you got that... so every new cup of coffee, I put in a new section of curlers......

I'm spending the New Year at the Hosptial.... well, at least half of the day.... Daughter was kinda nerved out yesterday and Grandma had forgot her glass's at home and WANTED me to go them NOW... So daughter was like..
"should she be left alone??" and I was like, she's not alone.. she has one Nurse and two CNA's.. and she's right across from the nurses station.. Could not get any closer unless we put her in the Hall........

So I smiles and said she's FINE.... I think the Tired is starting to get to my nerves.... YIKES............

I do know, that I am Not Cut out to be a Full TIme Caregiver.. the stress and work is too much for me... It's good to know Now... but I do think we will have to bring in a Homehealth Care help, soon.....Her Dr has been concered for a while about her being alone at night.. So, I think it's getting close.....

Prof....Hi there.. Sounds like the "tired" is starting to nerve you out a little... Remeber, if you can't say anything nice.. just bit your lip... ha ha ha

Hey, phone ringing... I'll be back... Diana

January 2, 2009, 7:11 am CST

&^^$##&(*)(^$#@%&*(()!#@%&(&%@_^$@

Quote From: profderien

ha!  here it is, january 1, and i am posting... on the old board... yeah, yeah, yeah...

diana -- i am going to copy your post over at the new digs and answer there... so come and find it! 

i hope you finished your hair... as it is, it sounds like you might have a stripe going there.

love,

prof

Okay... I went to your Diary... nothing.. went to mine, nothing

So... PLEASE help me here.... Now you know... SPEAK SLOW to me....... If you could give me a little step by step HELP... starting from A to Z... on how I do this.... UGGGGGGGG......

I'm starting to understand that saying... "trying to teach an old dog new tricks"..... I GET IT NOW........

Grandma gets out today from the hospital.. yeah.. and she's feeling much better... Yeah.....

I'm hoping the CPAP place is open today and I can get going here.. today.... they are out of reg mach, but said they would send me home with a travel pack... does the same thing... it will be a least a week before they get more in.....

I also need to run and get my new cell phone hooked up today.. My number 9 will not work.. that's not a good one to have burned out....

Hubby is starting is 7 days off today.. Wow, Mom's been in her new place almost a month now... time has flown by fast.....

Before I pick up Grandma.. need to run to her house and back her car out.. (her heater is not working) and grab her snow boots... and then can go get her.. I want to be able to just drive in the garage and get her out from there... that way we are not trying to walk over the ICE and SNOW.......

Then I have Jury Duty on Monday.. YIKES.... I am so behind with all my other customers....

Also need to pick up some more hay cubes today..

Also, not sure if I told you I had an x-ray of my sinus on Tue??? Well, Dr called in a pretty good med for me.. I take two in the morning with food and two at dinner time for 14 days.... Okay.. nothing to it... But the Pharmacists had to talk to me and told me this WILL give me the RUNS........... oh great....

So I have Not started it with Grandma being sick and not sure what's going on with her.... Only so much I can do at one time... ha ha ha.......

Grandma's Daughter was showing us pictures yesterday of her Daughter's Ranch in CO.... OH PROF... this place is so BEAUTIFUL.. and of course has a story behind it also.....

This ranch is 2000 acres.. the Orig house they have remodeled and it's amazing what they have done to it... parts are done in Western and one of the guest rooms is done all in Indian stuff..

The master bed-room has a buffalo hide on the bed...  In the dinning room, she has a cow hide on the floor as a rug... the kitchen has the old metal squares as the ceiling.... HA, Home and Garden has nothing on this one......

The orig owners were sheep ranchers with 10 kids. The Father passed away and the Mother raised all those kids all a lone on this ranch. But.. she did not have water.. so the sheep were not many.. I just can not image raising 10 kids alone.. but she did it.....

They took the old grain building and made it into a guest/hunters lodge... now he has a old shed that was insulated with news papers dated back to the 1800's and I forgot what he's going to do with this shed.. but I know it's going to be amazing....

They have two cats and one is deaf,, she is white and black spots.. so she's an inside cat only. Two dogs, two goats and horses. And they also run cows........

Right along the house and guest house is this HUGE ridge of rocks and it runs all the way up to their huge mountain of all pine trees... very cool....... they also have three huge meadows that run in a Plato with each other......

They kids, well their my age.. ha ha ha.. work for a Dr that has a ranch a 100 miles away from their place and they work all summer for the Dr and then they bring the Dr's horses home with them in the winter and take care of them and get to stay home and do their thing all winter long....

I'm telling you.. this is the way to live........

Okay... I have to start to think about starting to RUN here for the day....

The coffee seems extra hot this morning.....

Thanks for HELPING ME GET ON THE RIGHT TRACK HERE....

Happy Friday..... Hugs and All My Love..... Diana

January 2, 2009, 7:19 am CST

Happy Friday.....

Good Morning Everyone

As you can see, this girl is having major problems trying to figure out this new site.... I'm about to start pulling my hair out....

It's 41 above this morning, but the WIND is blowing hard.... snow on the ground, but some spots are bare and others are a pretty good drift... ha ha ha.... just depends on were the winds stacks the snow.

Our 4-wheeler with the blade on the front, is in the shop getting fixed.. so fingers crossed we don't get nailed with snow..... that's the only way we can move it......

Okay... I just wanted to say Good Morning and let you know I' m thinking of each and everyone of you...

Sending Hugs and Hope for today.... Love Dianah

January 9, 2009, 12:19 pm CST

just checking in....

Well hello everyone,  
Just wanted to say hello. I have planned to relocate to Memphis, Tennessee. I should be gone by no later than February 2009. I Will continue to stay in touch with you all. I love you Dianah and  Morgan. Please e-mail me tonight. I will call you both by this week end end.

Love,
Lashy!!!

January 18, 2009, 6:21 am CST

living with fibromyalgia

Hello everyone I  want to know what gives doctors a right to lie to a disability judge so that you cant get disbility based on what they say, they dont live in your body they do not know how much pain you are in everyday of your life just because i dont go to the doctors every time i have a pain, if i did i would be at there more than at home. i was turned down again for disabilty all because my doctor made me out to be an hipercndriac,the judge didnt believe anything i said not to mention all the lies  my dr. said and things that i have i was never told i found out with the letter from the disbility judge not my own doctor ,how messed up is that !!  so my question is how can they get away with that ?who dIed and left them GOD!!!!!!!!! WHAT GIVES THEM THE RIGHT!! VERY ANGRY LINDA

January 22, 2009, 3:02 pm CST

Jan 22nd hello

Good Afternoon Everyone

Just checking in with all of you and my hope is that everyone is hanging in there and also hanging on.

My wrist is a hurting unit today.. calling for snow starting Friday and very low wind chills.. So the old body is "feeling it" here.

I'm so glad to be back in my normal routine here and things are catching up. Yeah..

Work in progress with my C-pap mach. I'm taking it off during the night and I can't remeber it happening.

Thanks to Becky, she's passed along some good adivice. I just know, it's work....

What's going on with everyone??????

Okay, nap time for me.....

Sending all My Love and Hugs and Hope... Love Dianah

First | Prev | 723 | 724 | 725 | 726 | 727 | 728 | Next | Last