Message Boards

Topic : When a Family Member Gets Sick

Number of Replies: 305
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:07:23 am
Author : dataimport

Nothing makes one feel more helpless than watching a child, spouse, or parent suffering. We understand. How do you cope with illness in your family?

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 22, 2006, 11:19 am CST

Your story Brought me to tears?

Quote From: cmwhets3

I am looking  and asking for help from anyone who can help my 32 year old daughter (wife and mother of 2 young boys) find an expert physician who can help her get her life back.  At the present time, she is currently on 16+ medications, takes an eight hour lidocaine injection twice a week for pain from an ulner nerve surgery gone wrong, suffers from constant headaches, dizziness, nauseau, low blood pressure and extremely rapid heartbeats resulting in chest pains.  Lisa has been diagnosed with Addison's Disease, POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome), and numerous other problems within the last 2 years.  She has been hospitalized 4 times just in the last year, in one case the hospital had a crash cart outside her room for fear she would stop breathing due to some medications she was given.  Several tests have been done which conflicting reports for such things as her Addisons....a group of Mayo physcians say she has POTS and not Addisons, but her local Dr. is sure of the opposite.  Who does one believe?  She has suffered through painful injections at the base of her skull for her headaches, have had biopsies recently taken from her stomach testing for Amyloidosis (which thankfully came back negative), was so critically dehydrated because of nauseauness she required 14 bags of fluids and hospitalized for 12 days....SHE NEEDS TO GET HER LIFE BACK SO SHE CAN ENJOY HER HUSBAND AND TWO SMALL BOYS!!!!  I am so fearful that her future at this point looks like no hope of improving unless  she finds someone who can reevaluate her and hopefully get off some of these medications (which I feel are causing are causing alot of these side effects) and live a happy future.  DR. PHIL PLEASE HELP OUR DAUGHTER!!!  There is alot more going on than I can put in this writing...she has been through sheer HELL in the last several years that no one should ever go through.  And if that is not enough for her stress, her father, my dear husband Bob was diagnosed with terminal Mantle Cell Lymphoma in June 2004 and given 2-4 years!  That too is a major stressor for our whole family, while we sit and watch Lisa lose her beautiful, cheery self.  Not enough  for bad news.....on Dec. 29th of 2005, I had a stroke in my right eye, losing 1/2 of my vision in my only good eye.  How much more can one family take?????  I am okay with my problem, but my husband and my children and grandchildren are my life and I can't take seeing them hurt so much and not knowing what the future holds for my husband and my daughter.  I know that maybe I am rambling on but I don't know who to turn to....I have asked Dr. Phil and Oprah for help, not asking for money, but for some help in finding a special Doctor out there that would help at least my daughter...I know that there is HOPE out there for her but have no where to turn.  If you would be able to see how all this if affecting her 2 boys alone....would bring one to tears....thank God her husband has been there with her through all of this and taking on being not only Dad but Mom too.  The medical bills have been astronomical to say the least...but we would take her anywhere in the world to improve her quality of life for her and her family...PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE HELP HER!!! 

Your story has brought me to tears and I would love to help you here my email address darin7@telus.net I absolutely know of someone that can help and would be delighted to help you. Awaiting your response. Please give me your email address I would live to email you. 

Tamara 

March 22, 2006, 7:02 pm CST

Expert Physicians

To cmwhets3 & other interested persons : 

There are nutrition-oriented, sometimes called orthomolecular, physicians who have banded  

together in a group called The American College for the Advancement in Medicine ( " ACAM " ); 

you can find if there is one in your area by using the "Doctor Search" at www.acam.org . Their  

views are in contrast to the usual American convention doctors, who seem to specialize in 

writing prescriptions . 

March 22, 2006, 7:57 pm CST

Asperger's - Autism

To kmmommy & other interested persons : 

The Aug 05 issue of Dr. Julian Whitaker's Health & Healing newsletter had the article  

" Understanding Autism" which had the following : 

"According to ( Mary Ann Block, DO, a Hurst, TX physician who has been treating autistic children  

for more than a decade ) Dr. Block, virtually all of the autistic children she has tested lack one or  

more of the genes for glutathione-s-transferases, enzymes that play a key role in detoxification. 

Blood tests reveal they also have critically low levels of gluthatiione, a crucial antioxidant that  

binds to and rids the body of heavy metals........" 

"Autistic children should be tested for mercury and other heavy metals, and if levels are elavated, 

which they usually are, they should undergo a course of chelation. The most popular mercury 

chelators are transdermal and oral DMPS, and oral DMSA. " 

"Many autistic children are plagued with gastrointestinal abnormalities................... Because these 

kids often have poor nutrition due to digestive problems and limited food choices, targeted 

nutritional supplementation is very important. In a 2005 study of autistic children, more than half 

were found to be deficient in vitamins A, B1, B3, B5, biotin, selenium, zinc, magnesium, essential 

amino acids, and omega-3 and omega- 6 essentail fatty acids. 

"Recommendations : 

It is important to work with a knowledgeable physician. A great place to go for more information, 

including referrals to doctors experienced in treating autism, is www.autismwebsite.com . " 

March 22, 2006, 9:31 pm CST

Looking for a mircle worker asap

TO WHOM THIS MAY CONCER: MY NAME IS KINYADDY. I AM A 26 YEAR OLD FEMALE FROM MISSISSIPPI LOOKING FOR HELP. THE HELP IS NOT FOR ME BUT FOR MY GOD MOTHER. HER NAME IS MARY, SHE IS 45 YEARS OLD AND WILL BE 46 ON MONDAY MARCH 27TH. SHE IS SUFFERING FROM HARDEN OF THE ARTERIES AND RAYNAULDS.WE FIRST MEET WHEN I WAS IN 9TH GRADE, HER DAUGHTER AND I ARE BEST FRIENDS AND SO I CALL HER MY GODMOTHER. SHE HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE AND IF I CAN GET THIS HELP FROM ANYONE THEN IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. FROM THE FIRST DAY THAT I MEET HER, SHE WAS A VERY OUTGOING PERSON, NURSE TO THE SICK, AND A MOTHER WHO LOVES HER YARD,CRAFTING AND SEWING. SHE PUTS SMILES ON PEOPLE FACES WHEN THEY MEET HER. SHE'S THE BEST. 

AT THE END OF 1999 I GRADUATED AND DOWN SHE WENT.  SHE SUFFERED A MILD STROKE DUE TO PEACES OF PLAGUE MOVING. IN 2000 NO ONE IN MISSISSIPPI WOULD TAKE CARE OF HER, SO SHE WAS SENT TO DR. SEHNER IN NEW ORLEANS, WHERE THEY DID TWO BYPASSES ON HER. A YEAR LATER (2001) SHE WAS COMPLAINING OF BAD HEADACHES AND MLD STROKES AGAIN, SO WE TOOK HER TO THE UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER IN JACKSON, MISSISSIPPI WHERE SHE HAD TO UNDERGO MORE BYPASS SURGERIES. DURING SURGERY THEY LOST MY GODMOTHER DUE TO A MAJOR STROKE THAT SHE HAD. THEY FINALLY BROUGHT HER BACK AND SHE HAD LOST HER VISION IN HER LEFT EYE AND WEAKNESS ON HER LEFT SIDE. SHE FINALLY WENT THROUGH THERAPY WHERE SHE DID GREAT. AT THE END OF 2001 SHE STARTED HAVING ARM PAIN BAD TO THE POINT TOO WERE HER FINGERS WOULD TURN BLACK, SHE HAD NO PULSE WHATSOEVER.  SHE THEN HAD TO GO THROUGH AXILLARY TO AXILLARY BYPASS ACROSS HER CHEST TO GIVE HER ARMS BLLOD. IT WORKED FOR AWHILE THEN IT BECAME CLOGGED WHICH MEANS THAT THEY HAD TO TAKE HER RIGHT NECK ARTERY,  WHICH WAS USED TO BYPASS AND GIVE BLOODD TO BOTH ARMS. SHE WENT THROUGH THIS HORRABLE PAIN AGAIN. AFTER THAT SHE WAS BACK TO NORMAL. SHE WAS PLANTING IN THE YARD, QUILTING, CLEANING AND COOKING LIKE MOMMY USE TOO. THEN IT HIT HER AGAIN IN 2005 TO THE POINT NOW IN 2006 SHE CAN BARELY USE HER ARMS ARE LEGS. SHE HAS BLOOD CLOTS TO THE POINT TOO SHE HAS TO GET IN THE HOT TUB IN ORDER TOO GET HER LEGS WORKING RIGHT. TODAY IS MARCH 22, 2006 AND SHE HAD AN APOINTMENT IN HATTIESBURG, MS WERE SHE SEEN A CARDIOVASCULAR DR. THE DR. TOLD HER THAT THEIR WAS NOTHING HE COULD DO FOR HER CONDITION AND SENT HER HOME STILL HURTING AND BARELY WALKING. SHE REALLY NEEDS HELP AND I AM GOING TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET HER SEEN BY SOMEBODY WHO IS WILLING TO DOCTOR ON HER AND MAKE HER FEEL BETTER. I KNOW THAT THEIR IS A GOD IN HEAVEN AND I BELIEVE IN MY HEART THAT SOMEBODY IS GOING TO HELP HER. WHOEVER READS THIS BELIEVE ME SHE IS ONE OF GODS CHILDREN AND I BELIEVE AND PRAY THE LORD IS WITH HER CONTINUEOUSLY THROUGH ALL OF THIS. HE SAYS HE WANT PUT MORE ON U THAT U CAN'T BARE AND I BELIEVE THAT WITH ALL MY HEART. LORD PLEASE HELP MY GOD MOTHER AND MAKE HER STRONG AGAIN, THIS IS MY PRAYER AMEN. 

SINCERLY, 

LOOKING FOR A MIRCLE WORKER ASAP  

March 23, 2006, 6:43 am CST

Daughter with chronic illnesses

Quote From: thumpalina

Your story has brought me to tears and I would love to help you here my email address darin7@telus.net I absolutely know of someone that can help and would be delighted to help you. Awaiting your response. Please give me your email address I would live to email you. 

Tamara 

Hi Tamara, 

This is cmwhets3....Wow am I glad to finally hear from someone!!!  I have been checking everyday for some response...Please email be ASAP with some good news..right now we need it.  I talked with Lisa yesterday and she was saying that now she is having major problems with her vision and that the Dr. she is going to said there is nothing they can to do correct it...that I totally disagree with...I told her to get to a Retinal Institute right away.  Please send me that one name that would help her..PLEASE! 

Here is my e-mail address  rgw55087@hotmail.com 

THANK-YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART 

March 23, 2006, 7:53 am CST

question

Quote From: kinyaddy

TO WHOM THIS MAY CONCER: MY NAME IS KINYADDY. I AM A 26 YEAR OLD FEMALE FROM MISSISSIPPI LOOKING FOR HELP. THE HELP IS NOT FOR ME BUT FOR MY GOD MOTHER. HER NAME IS MARY, SHE IS 45 YEARS OLD AND WILL BE 46 ON MONDAY MARCH 27TH. SHE IS SUFFERING FROM HARDEN OF THE ARTERIES AND RAYNAULDS.WE FIRST MEET WHEN I WAS IN 9TH GRADE, HER DAUGHTER AND I ARE BEST FRIENDS AND SO I CALL HER MY GODMOTHER. SHE HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE AND IF I CAN GET THIS HELP FROM ANYONE THEN IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. FROM THE FIRST DAY THAT I MEET HER, SHE WAS A VERY OUTGOING PERSON, NURSE TO THE SICK, AND A MOTHER WHO LOVES HER YARD,CRAFTING AND SEWING. SHE PUTS SMILES ON PEOPLE FACES WHEN THEY MEET HER. SHE'S THE BEST. 

AT THE END OF 1999 I GRADUATED AND DOWN SHE WENT.  SHE SUFFERED A MILD STROKE DUE TO PEACES OF PLAGUE MOVING. IN 2000 NO ONE IN MISSISSIPPI WOULD TAKE CARE OF HER, SO SHE WAS SENT TO DR. SEHNER IN NEW ORLEANS, WHERE THEY DID TWO BYPASSES ON HER. A YEAR LATER (2001) SHE WAS COMPLAINING OF BAD HEADACHES AND MLD STROKES AGAIN, SO WE TOOK HER TO THE UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER IN JACKSON, MISSISSIPPI WHERE SHE HAD TO UNDERGO MORE BYPASS SURGERIES. DURING SURGERY THEY LOST MY GODMOTHER DUE TO A MAJOR STROKE THAT SHE HAD. THEY FINALLY BROUGHT HER BACK AND SHE HAD LOST HER VISION IN HER LEFT EYE AND WEAKNESS ON HER LEFT SIDE. SHE FINALLY WENT THROUGH THERAPY WHERE SHE DID GREAT. AT THE END OF 2001 SHE STARTED HAVING ARM PAIN BAD TO THE POINT TOO WERE HER FINGERS WOULD TURN BLACK, SHE HAD NO PULSE WHATSOEVER.  SHE THEN HAD TO GO THROUGH AXILLARY TO AXILLARY BYPASS ACROSS HER CHEST TO GIVE HER ARMS BLLOD. IT WORKED FOR AWHILE THEN IT BECAME CLOGGED WHICH MEANS THAT THEY HAD TO TAKE HER RIGHT NECK ARTERY,  WHICH WAS USED TO BYPASS AND GIVE BLOODD TO BOTH ARMS. SHE WENT THROUGH THIS HORRABLE PAIN AGAIN. AFTER THAT SHE WAS BACK TO NORMAL. SHE WAS PLANTING IN THE YARD, QUILTING, CLEANING AND COOKING LIKE MOMMY USE TOO. THEN IT HIT HER AGAIN IN 2005 TO THE POINT NOW IN 2006 SHE CAN BARELY USE HER ARMS ARE LEGS. SHE HAS BLOOD CLOTS TO THE POINT TOO SHE HAS TO GET IN THE HOT TUB IN ORDER TOO GET HER LEGS WORKING RIGHT. TODAY IS MARCH 22, 2006 AND SHE HAD AN APOINTMENT IN HATTIESBURG, MS WERE SHE SEEN A CARDIOVASCULAR DR. THE DR. TOLD HER THAT THEIR WAS NOTHING HE COULD DO FOR HER CONDITION AND SENT HER HOME STILL HURTING AND BARELY WALKING. SHE REALLY NEEDS HELP AND I AM GOING TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET HER SEEN BY SOMEBODY WHO IS WILLING TO DOCTOR ON HER AND MAKE HER FEEL BETTER. I KNOW THAT THEIR IS A GOD IN HEAVEN AND I BELIEVE IN MY HEART THAT SOMEBODY IS GOING TO HELP HER. WHOEVER READS THIS BELIEVE ME SHE IS ONE OF GODS CHILDREN AND I BELIEVE AND PRAY THE LORD IS WITH HER CONTINUEOUSLY THROUGH ALL OF THIS. HE SAYS HE WANT PUT MORE ON U THAT U CAN'T BARE AND I BELIEVE THAT WITH ALL MY HEART. LORD PLEASE HELP MY GOD MOTHER AND MAKE HER STRONG AGAIN, THIS IS MY PRAYER AMEN. 

SINCERLY, 

LOOKING FOR A MIRCLE WORKER ASAP  

I just wanted to a question is your godmother on any blood thinners. i ask because  i may know on something that can help. please email me i would love to talk to you darin7@telus.net hope you find what you are looking for  

Thumpalina 

March 23, 2006, 12:58 pm CST

When a Family Member Gets Sick

Quote From: thumpalina

I just wanted to a question is your godmother on any blood thinners. i ask because  i may know on something that can help. please email me i would love to talk to you darin7@telus.net hope you find what you are looking for  

Thumpalina 

Thumpalina, hello and how are u? to answer ur question yes my god mother is on bloodthinners but none of them work and she continues to get worse and we need some kind of help. u can email me at kinyaddy@yahoo.com and u can also get online and talk to me on my yahoo messanger. 

March 29, 2006, 6:52 pm CST

treatments

Thank you for those that responded with suggestions for Autism and other disorders. I have had the opportunity to have a private conversation with Temple Grandin - she has Aspergers herself and has written many books about autism. I do work with an incredible team of physicians, dieticians and have consulted nutritionists. my philosphy may differ from others but I will post it in the hope that someone else shares my beliefs.  I have a medical background and have thourougly researched immune mediated disease - like Type one diabetes, hashimotos thyroiditis, celiac, pernicious anemia as well as Kawasaki and Aspergers. There is genetic susceptibility in our family as witnessed by mulitple family members affected, an illness or toxin can trigger the immune response. As for autism - well there have been so many theories out there from heavy metals (and chelation has dangers associated with it!) to vaccines to inadequate nuturing... 

She is thriving with interventions and support that help her understand the social world.  

Rather than spend my life seeking help (and added expense) of alternative therapies, I will feed them appropriately for their dietary needs (celiac and diabetes), fresh air and exercise. Exercise and fiber in the diet reduce the amount of insulin needed becasue it helps the insulin work more efficiently not because it is a partial "cure". 

Good nutrition and exercise are critical in helping our bodies and minds be at their best - but it will not cure a disease brought on by autoimmunity or by birth. 

It is now known that Albert Einstein displayed all the characteristics of high functioning autism - I am glad his mother did not spend her life and his going from place to place seeking a cure. 

I choose to do the same - I teach my children what I believe - this is what we have to deal with it, we develop a new routine and I try not to let them be ruled by their medical troubles. My daughter was born with autism - it gives her a unique perspective of this world. My son developed diabetes but it will not stop him from accomplishing any goal he sets for himself. 

I believe in supplements - omega fatty acids, evening primrose oil and quality vitamins are important adjunct to our care.  

I have seen it happen where parents spend so much time looking for a cure or treatment that the children dont experience life as it should be - embrace the autism - work every day to develop strategies and get respite when you need it....accept the illness when it arrives and do what you need to do to cope effectively. Try not to give your children the message that you wont rest til you "fix" them...... they are fine even with the glitches etc that life can throw at them. 

The diseases that we deal with have educated the children about nutrition and reading labels as well as awareness of signals their body gives when it is not well. 

April 7, 2006, 12:46 am CDT

Abandoment

I know this is posts for people who are supporting family members, but I'm on the other end of the stick - I'm the family member that got sick.  I was recently diagnosised with cysts on my spine that need to be removed.  The pain I've been in for the last month has been outragous (so much that I can't even move and have been in the ER twice).  Previous to this I had been a very healthy person, and extremely independent.  I am also struggling to keep my head above water in my last semester of university - because I don't want to quit that.  But between school pressures and the incredible pain I'm in its been hard.  I was living with my boyfriend of 5 years, at christmas time he gave me a ring and we had just picked out a new place to live....things were going great.  I really thought that he'd be there for me through all of this - that I'd have the support I needed.   Then we found out that the surgery I will be having is serious and that the expected recovery time if 4-6 months (IF everything goes well and there are many risks).  The news hit my like a sack of bricks, and scared the hell out of me (the surgery requires strict bedrest because they basically will remove all the diseased tissue and leave it open for scar tissue to build up). I shared the news with my boyfriend and showed him the information and he bolted.  I showed him the information on a Friday and by that Sunday morning he was gone.  I don't know what to think - my surgery is in two weeks and this was almost two weeks ago (he hasn't called to see if I'm ok, or nothing).  I'm homeless now, living out of a suitcase wherever I can, dealing with all this pain on my own and am heartbroken.  I don't see how on that Thursday we had plans to get married, buy a house and car, etc etc etc and the very next day I cease to exist.  Its not like I'm going to be a cripple, or I have something infectious, this surgery although risky is minor in comparision with something like cancer.  I don't understand?  I'm so alone, angry, frustrated and scared.  Is it easier to just walk away sometimes?  How do you just walk away and never look back - I mean we were together for 5 years!?  I just dont' understand how can someone do that to someone they apparently love?  So what I'm asking is if any of you have ever done it, or considered it....just abandon those you love when they need you the most.  How do you rationalize it?  How does it happen?  Is it because you are scared or just because you are a coward?  I just don't understand - and I dont' know how to feel.   This is not a personal attack on you if you admit doing it....I just need to know whats going on in his head?  I know I'm grasping at straws, I'm sorry, but I need some direction

April 8, 2006, 10:16 am CDT

Support Help

Hi ckwrite : 

Your experience seems "normal" for today's younger generation, educated in our degraded  

"public ( government ) " school "system" ; for recommendations for good & FREE help in your 

area, it would be necessary for those here to know the area ( town, state ) where you are located . 

For "spiritual" help, I recommend you view the info at www.tacf.org . 

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last