Message Boards

Topic : 09/10 Season 6 Premiere!

Number of Replies: 2174
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 07, 2007, 03:30:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The Dr. Phil show is kicking off its sixth season, so buckle up because Dr. Phil is coming at you with intensity! This year, he tackles the news stories that impact you – from celebrity meltdowns to school tragedies. He delivers the news to you as it breaks on a revolutionary, high-tech news platform that will change the way you stay informed! Today, he exposes a deadly trend that’s sweeping the nation: driving while sending text messages. Between Blackberrys and cell phones, Americans have a harder and harder time keeping their eyes on the road, but with teens, the problem is even worse. Seventeen-year-old Chelsea averages 5,000 text messages a month and insists that she can text while driving a stick shift. What will it take for her to put the brakes on her dangerous hobby? Plus, Patrick killed a man while texting and driving, and he’s still living with guilt. Will his tragic story be a wake-up call for Chelsea? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 9, 2007, 9:38 am CDT

Cell Phones while driving should be banned!

Quote From: patriots_fan

Using cell phones while driving should be banned in every state!  It is becoming an epidemic.  In my area, there are so many distracted drivers, that it is the norm, rather than the exception.

I was traveling along a major highway a while back. Heavy traffic:  Everyone was doing 70 - 75 mph.  I was in the middle lane and came up very rapidly behind someone going very slow.  I swerved around just in time not to hit him.  As I passed, I looked over to see  some idiot guy totally absorbed in some kind of argument on his cell phone. Totally oblivious to traffic!  I estimated his speed at about 50 -55 mph.  He took everyone's safety into his hands that day! It's a wonder there wasn't a major pile up because of him. 

"Hands free" cells are no better.  The driver is still distracted. I make it a point never to use (or answer) my cell phone while I'm driving.

I agree with you 100%.  Cell phones should not be used while driving, period.  If you need to use the phone pull over.  People need to wake up, and realize it's not about them. 

September 9, 2007, 1:28 pm CDT

Actually, I like that silly "finger wave".

Quote From: tansiher

Hopefully, after 5 years of getting used to the camera, audience etc., Dr. Phil will ditch his nervous habit of that silly "finger wave" at the beginning of each show.  I watch him everyday but find that habit rather annoying and  "juvenile."  I am surprised he continues.  Please know that I admire him greatly and have learned a lot by watching hia show. 
I think most of the time, DrP is no-nonsense and at times,somewhat of a bully. (IMO) The "finger wave" gives him an aura of vulnerability for a brief moment in time. I say keep the "finger wave" and soldier on!

September 9, 2007, 2:41 pm CDT

09/10 Season 6 Premiere!

Quote From: patriots_fan

Using cell phones while driving should be banned in every state!  It is becoming an epidemic.  In my area, there are so many distracted drivers, that it is the norm, rather than the exception.

I was traveling along a major highway a while back. Heavy traffic:  Everyone was doing 70 - 75 mph.  I was in the middle lane and came up very rapidly behind someone going very slow.  I swerved around just in time not to hit him.  As I passed, I looked over to see  some idiot guy totally absorbed in some kind of argument on his cell phone. Totally oblivious to traffic!  I estimated his speed at about 50 -55 mph.  He took everyone's safety into his hands that day! It's a wonder there wasn't a major pile up because of him. 

"Hands free" cells are no better.  The driver is still distracted. I make it a point never to use (or answer) my cell phone while I'm driving.

I would like to thank you Dr. Phil for your wonderful show I realy like it and wait it every night it helps me a lot to go on and raise my daughter. I joined this web few days ago and I am really excited to chat and read a lot of new information on this web.

September 9, 2007, 3:54 pm CDT

09/10 Season 6 Premiere!

Quote From: ckmsbart

On August 13th a teenage girl took her own life by texting while driving and took with her a friend of mine, Stacey Stubbs.  Maybe adding a name will make arrogant, invinsible teenagers see that real people are killed.  Stacey was 40 years old and her daughter, Rebecca who is only 6-  will now have to grow up without  her mom just because a teenage girl (named Ashley) seemed to think that in her less than one year's experience behind the wheel that she was somehow an amazing driver who could type and drive.  That text message cost Ashley her life- I doubt it was worth it.  This happened in Phoenix while Stacey was there for a doctor's appt.  I live in a rural area and we have far too many accidents with teenagers- and I don't mean fender benders- we have had quite a few fatal accidents in this area and yet the kids still don't take driving seriously.  I wish drivers young and old would concentrate on driving when they are behind the wheel- try not to be distracted or be in too much of a hurry.  Just remember that whatever your friend was typing out to you on that text message or passing that car when there really wasn't room- it isn't worth the trip to the hospital or the morgue or knowing the rest of your life that you killed someone because you were being stupid.

I also live in a rural area, and you are so right, we aren't talking fender benders.

I don't know about your area, but we don't have much for police, so on the weekends our rural roads become a race track, by the time the police get here the people racing have been tipped off, and gone, we have had fatalities.

I'm not popular in this opinion, and I'm used to it,

sixteen year old kids should NOT be driving, driving age should be 18 at the very least, and yes I know Most of you kids are just PHENOMINAL drivers, just the fact you think you are shows a lack of judgement (sorry, but most of us have made mistakes on the road haven't met the perfect driver yet, doubt I ever will ) and we are supposed to have the attention span and the judgement for driving.

Elderly people over sixty should have a MANDATORY eye test, sorry but again its an overestimation of your skills behind the wheel, driving too slowly is JUST as dangerous as driving too fast, and when you pay for your gas and have to hold the debit pin pad to your nose, well I'm scared to share the road with you.

If your license says you NEED corective lenses, then your vanity takes a back seat, and the police should be allowed to make you PROVE you're wearing contacts.  I drove with a woman too vain to wear her glasses, and it nearly cost us DEARLY.

Its not only cell phones, and texting, though those should NOT be used behing the wheel either.

But again, none of us are perfect, and we'll all make mistakes (sigh, maybe leave the kids home ? They can be VERY distracting just kidding, before anyone jumps onme), we all have those momentary lapses.

5,000 texts a month ? Who pays for that ?  My kid would've either found herself a job, or lost the phone the FIRST time I had to pay that bill

September 9, 2007, 4:32 pm CDT

i agree!

Quote From: farah_alazawi

I would like to thank you Dr. Phil for your wonderful show I realy like it and wait it every night it helps me a lot to go on and raise my daughter. I joined this web few days ago and I am really excited to chat and read a lot of new information on this web.

i currently reside in germany and over here you are given a ticket if you caught talking on your cell phone,we should make a similar law stateside as well im agianst the whole talking while you drive it always gets me in an very hangry mood so i totally agree with you on how you feel they should make a law or something it has stop before it gets worst than already is.

September 9, 2007, 4:46 pm CDT

Are They Crazy

Oh my gosh!  I try not to even talk on my cell if I'm driving.  I would never try to text and drive.  Of course, I also have the good sense not to drive and put make up on.  I do not want to be on the road with someone who is too busy looking at their phone and not busy enough watching where they're going.  My husband is a truck driver, and I just pray that he's not driving on the same highway or city street with someone who "thinks" they can drive and text.  Wake up before it's too late.  Remember--it may not be you who dies!

September 9, 2007, 5:35 pm CDT

Keep the finger going!

Quote From: housewife52

I think most of the time, DrP is no-nonsense and at times,somewhat of a bully. (IMO) The "finger wave" gives him an aura of vulnerability for a brief moment in time. I say keep the "finger wave" and soldier on!
I don't consider any thing Dr. Phil does is either annoying or bullying. Some of his guests should count their blessings that I'm not there.  My mom and I also love the way he brings the truth out of those who try to "hide' their "innocense". If i said that right.  There are alot of people in the world that should be put in front of Dr. Phil, Robin and Judge Judy. Like I said, Keep on Finger waving. God bless and thank u both. just me, Mary.

September 9, 2007, 5:50 pm CDT

09/10 Season 6 Premiere!

Quote From: tansiher

Hopefully, after 5 years of getting used to the camera, audience etc., Dr. Phil will ditch his nervous habit of that silly "finger wave" at the beginning of each show.  I watch him everyday but find that habit rather annoying and  "juvenile."  I am surprised he continues.  Please know that I admire him greatly and have learned a lot by watching hia show. 
 Apparently you haven't learned as much as you thought, that "silly finger wave" is a special wave to his wife Robin!  I think we all know what - or who is "rather annoying and juvenile" !

September 9, 2007, 6:12 pm CDT

Text Block

There is a wonderful service available from our cell service provider--TEXT MESSAGE BLOCK.

I have placed the block on my teenage son's phone.  Perhaps I am "old fashion," but I see no benefit in his text messaging.  He can talk via his blue tooth ear piece.  I don't want him to use IM slang, which ruins his spelling and use of proper grammar.

A few years ago, I had a twenty-one year-old cousin who reached down to pick up a CD she had dropped under her feet.  The vehicle left the highway, and she was killed instantly.  Even the briefest distraction can cost a life.

September 9, 2007, 6:41 pm CDT

idots

Quote From: kate13477

near our little town in upstate ny ...4 beautiful girls burrned to death in an accident caused by the driver of their car text messaging . i think it should be illegal and removed as an option form cell phones .
I tell you what a bunch of losers putting other's lives in jeopardy. It's bad enough that people use cell phones in any form while driving. Drunk drivers, cell phone talkers, and texters what next! Why not just drive blindfolded? So sick of inocent people getting hurt because of recklessness.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last