Message Boards

Topic : 09/10 Season 6 Premiere!

Number of Replies: 2174
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 07, 2007, 03:30:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The Dr. Phil show is kicking off its sixth season, so buckle up because Dr. Phil is coming at you with intensity! This year, he tackles the news stories that impact you – from celebrity meltdowns to school tragedies. He delivers the news to you as it breaks on a revolutionary, high-tech news platform that will change the way you stay informed! Today, he exposes a deadly trend that’s sweeping the nation: driving while sending text messages. Between Blackberrys and cell phones, Americans have a harder and harder time keeping their eyes on the road, but with teens, the problem is even worse. Seventeen-year-old Chelsea averages 5,000 text messages a month and insists that she can text while driving a stick shift. What will it take for her to put the brakes on her dangerous hobby? Plus, Patrick killed a man while texting and driving, and he’s still living with guilt. Will his tragic story be a wake-up call for Chelsea? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 9, 2007, 6:42 pm CDT

texting

Luckily none of my friends I ride with do that while driving. And I don't text period. About an hour where I live talking on your phone while driving is banned, except in real emergencies where you can't pull over (like someone's chasing you). It's helped a bit even though not everybody gets caught, the accidents caused by it have dropped. Text messaging while driving is more dangerous than talking on the phone and it's not banned? Sure people can text under the steering wheel, but your head looking at your lap instead of the road will be a clue something's going on. I think they should ban text message while driving. I have no doubt some people will still do it, but it'll probably drop accidents caused by it. Not only is that dangerous I think that is just plain stupid and anyone who does that while driving is not a responsible driver. Can't the text messages wait? Pull over to text.

September 10, 2007, 2:06 am CDT

take the car

I say let her keep the phone!  She can text all she likes! WHILE SHE WALKS TO WHERE TO WANTS TO GO!   Driving is a responsibility to those around you to help keep everyone safe.  Since she is unable to see the danger and resist the phone while driving--she should not be allowed to drive.  That eliminates all possibility that she will repeat the behavior.  If she doesn't see texting while driving as dangerous, she probably thinks other things are not distracting while driving either?  The safest choice for those who share the road with her is to take the car.  So she is mad and inconvenienced--isn't that what teens do best?

September 10, 2007, 3:57 am CDT

It's not really a "finger wave", it's more of a "hand wave".

Quote From: tansiher

Hopefully, after 5 years of getting used to the camera, audience etc., Dr. Phil will ditch his nervous habit of that silly "finger wave" at the beginning of each show.  I watch him everyday but find that habit rather annoying and  "juvenile."  I am surprised he continues.  Please know that I admire him greatly and have learned a lot by watching hia show. 
I've been thinking about it and DrP doesn't waggle his fingers when he comes out, he' s waving his hand, not up and down but back and forth. I think it's just a way of saying "Hey" I have gotten used to it and would miss it. Don't you think it makes him seem more personable?

September 10, 2007, 5:26 am CDT

TAKE THE PHONE

First of all let me say that I get so angry with parents that won't stand up to their own children.  This mother is saying, "aside from taking away the cell phone what can I do?".  DUH!  It's either the phone or the car.  With the arrogance and entitlement that this girl has shown, I'd say take away both.  Sounds like the mom is afraid of upsetting her daughter.  This excuse of being physically ill...phooey...sounds like a standard, run of the mill temper tantrum that my 2 year old throws.  As Dr. Phil would say, "the tail is wagging the dog here."

Mom stand up and see what is truly at risk here.  It's not having an upset, angry daughter...it's about responsibility and accountability.  It's about taking a potential danger away from your daughter and others. 

There are cell phones out there that have 3 buttons...2 emergency numbers (perhaps home, and mom's cell) and 911.  That's all these kids need.  They are at school for 8 hours, what else is left to talk about on the drive home?  If mom is worried that she needs a phone for an emergency then get her one which only allows 3 numbers, or, if your provider doesn't provide on-line monitoring Mom...NO BRAINER...change providers.  I think Disney has one with phone GPS too.  Brilliant!!!

It's high time parents step up and stand up to their children.  So they're mad for a while.  If they truly want something they'll rise to the occasion.  Raise the bar for a change!

And, yes, I do have teenagers of my own...4 of them... and not one of them has a cell phone.

September 10, 2007, 5:40 am CDT

What on earth?

My thought is what is a seatbelt any good when the operator isn't paying attention to start with? Why is it "necessary" to own these gadgets to start with? Loss of life isn't the only thing these gadgets have caused.

September 10, 2007, 5:41 am CDT

09/10 Season 6 Premiere!

Wimpiest mother I've ever seen!  TAKE THE PHONE!!! So WHAT if she gets upset!!!  You'd rather risk her killing someone than have her mad at you?  What is WRONG with some parents today?  They seem to want to be best friends with their kids rather than parents to their kids.  This young lady is silly and selfish, but her mother is way worse.

September 10, 2007, 6:11 am CDT

Waited All Summer

Finally it's here and I can't wait to see the topics and new formats. Oh and Jay Happy Birthday on Wednesday.

Turkeybaby

September 10, 2007, 6:30 am CDT

I'm w/You

Quote From: mcfamily1996

I say let her keep the phone!  She can text all she likes! WHILE SHE WALKS TO WHERE TO WANTS TO GO!   Driving is a responsibility to those around you to help keep everyone safe.  Since she is unable to see the danger and resist the phone while driving--she should not be allowed to drive.  That eliminates all possibility that she will repeat the behavior.  If she doesn't see texting while driving as dangerous, she probably thinks other things are not distracting while driving either?  The safest choice for those who share the road with her is to take the car.  So she is mad and inconvenienced--isn't that what teens do best?

The FIRST time that the texting-while-driving became an issue (i.e., ticket, accident), the car would have been GONE for at least a month. Summer plans? Either get a ride, bicycle, or walk, sweetie, 'cause obviously you can't handle the responsibility of driving. If it happens again, both the car AND the phone go bye-bye.

There is NO excuse for dancing around this issue. The lives of other drivers are at stake.

September 10, 2007, 6:32 am CDT

Chelsey

Chelsey doesn't need to have her cell phone taken.  She needs to have her car taken away.  She is too immature to be driving

September 10, 2007, 6:40 am CDT

Dr. Phil's show

I have to say I was impressed with all the new extras in the show. Some people usually change their whole set & Dr. Phil was smart, he just added on. Smart man! I love the fact that his wife has her own little spot on the show. They really work great as a team (I love it). Dr. Phil, this season is going to be your best ever. I'm impressed. Keep up the great work.

I think it would be great if you came out & did the show in our state (Connecticut). Why not do it in every state??? Sounds good to me. I would love to go to your show.

Regarding the cell. phones - in Connecticut it's against the law to use it, unless it's hands free (ear piece or cord, you can't be holding it). We need to make sure all the states pass this law, because it will save a lot of lives. We can't even eat in our car in Connecticut. It's all about safety!!!

Take care & God Bless!!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last