Message Boards

Topic : 09/11 The Dr. Phil House: Man Camp Newlyweds

Number of Replies: 266
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 07, 2007, 03:31:51 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Most newlyweds cherish their honeymoon period and look forward to planning their future together. But these recently married couples say they’re already talking divorce! The wives say they’re sick and tired of being controlled and belittled by their demanding, overbearing and chauvinistic husbands, so they’re dragging them to Dr. Phil’s Man Camp for a complete overhaul. It’s not a one-way street through – the husbands have serious complaints about their better halves. Jim and Kim have been married only six weeks. Though Jim’s job takes him away from home, the distance doesn’t stop their fighting. Kim says his habit of leaving nasty voicemail messages is just another way for him to abuse and control her.  Jim says his wife loves his paycheck, not him. Then, Jack and Danielle are also only six weeks into their “wedded bliss” but are already sleeping separately. Danielle says Jack is so controlling, he even tells her how to shower. Jack admits he can’t get over his wife’s past, and he brings it up every time they fight. And, John and Karla have been married for nine months, but cameras capture a volatile environment that has Dr. Phil extremely concerned. Does Karla have good reason to sleep with a knife under her pillow? Join the discussion and tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 8, 2007, 12:39 am CDT

Man Camp Newlyweds

One of the women is so afraid that she sleeps with a knife under her pillow??? .... Yeah, that'd be a good hint to get out of the relationship. I just don't understand the need some men have to control their wives. What is with the need to instill fear on the woman that you decided to spend the rest of your life with? I just don't understand, and I don't think I ever will. Wanting respect, I can understand. People who are married should have love and respect for one another, but why would someone want their life partner to FEAR them? I hope that these couples get their issues straightened out and that they can save their marriages.

I wonder if the men showed this behavior before the women said 'I do?' I know that if I was with a man who was trying to control me in any way before getting married, I'd throw the engagement ring at him and remove myself from him forever.

JMHO.

Nightangel1282

September 8, 2007, 8:56 am CDT

Truly I have been there

I was married on November 21 and on New Years Eve My husband hid so he would not have to kiss me in front of everyone.  I stood alone most of the food table out of boredome.  Yes he was not perfect before we married, dated for several years, but he seemed to want to settle down....after 6 months he left me...did not like being married.....so the women hope for change after marriage....does not happen....he filed for divorce....and dropped it because he was not sure he was ready to loose me....see I believe his Mom needed her children as they had lost their father the year prior....so there may have been some conversations that assisted in the no liking marriage outside of my control.  But after he came back, cancelled the divorce, and was 10 times worse, wanting to run with the guys to strip clubs....I told him that I could not bear this kind of relationship, but it was an extension of our dating days....I met someone more suitable for my life, and he proposes marriage....it was all there I just chose not to see it for the hopes of happiness.

September 8, 2007, 9:43 am CDT

Doctor House Phil Show.

Camp Doctor House Man Newly Phil The Weds. I never heard of newlyweds be at Doctor House Phil at all. See you tomorrow Afternoon. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlanderen.-----------------------------

September 8, 2007, 10:37 am CDT

mancampers

Quote From: nightangel1282

One of the women is so afraid that she sleeps with a knife under her pillow??? .... Yeah, that'd be a good hint to get out of the relationship. I just don't understand the need some men have to control their wives. What is with the need to instill fear on the woman that you decided to spend the rest of your life with? I just don't understand, and I don't think I ever will. Wanting respect, I can understand. People who are married should have love and respect for one another, but why would someone want their life partner to FEAR them? I hope that these couples get their issues straightened out and that they can save their marriages.

I wonder if the men showed this behavior before the women said 'I do?' I know that if I was with a man who was trying to control me in any way before getting married, I'd throw the engagement ring at him and remove myself from him forever.

JMHO.

Nightangel1282

I am one of the mancampers wife, let me tell you 12000 couples applied for this and 3 got picked, unfortunately there is alot of disfunction going on in America, we are just one of the couples that got picked and chose to display our issues on national television in hopes of some help.

September 8, 2007, 12:47 pm CDT

Why did these people even get married?

They should have had some indication before saying I do that their relationships would be volatile.  Did they not get pre-marriage counseling?   I sure do hope if their relationships can't be fixed they get out before they bring innocent babies into the picture.

September 8, 2007, 5:25 pm CDT

Marriage

Gratefully I celebrated 36 amazing years of marriage to my one and only husband just a few months ago.  We were on 17 and 18 years old when we married, so we had A LOT of growing up to do.  Things were not always good but we did truely love one another and we were always willing to forgive or ask for forgiveness when needed.  Neither of us wanted to be RIGHT rather than HAPPY, so things have worked out wonderful for us.  We did go through pre-marital counseling with our Pastor.  I would advise people that are planning to get married today to choose their counselor with great care and make sure that he or she is well qualified.  I'm thankful that our parents didn't try to stop us from getting married back in 1971, just because of our young age.  Our families had known each other all of our lives and we saw each other at least once a week during our growing up years.  Still, it is hard being married when you are really still just a kid; fortunately we were married for almost five years before  our fist child was born. 

My Pastor refuses to perform any marriage unless the couple has gone through at least six weeks of pre-marital counseling.

Once in our first year of marriage my husband got mad at me about something and he shoved me down onto our bed; I jumped up and told him that he would not treat me that way, that he would never push me or hit me, that I would not allow it under any circumstance!  I told him that if he was angry and did something like that again, that I might have to wait until he was asleep but that I would beat him with an iron skillet or a baseball bat!  I guess he must have believed me because in 35 years plus, he has never hurt me again.  My husband grew up with a father that got violent with his wife and the children for many years before he stopped drinking and became a born again Christian.

NEVER, would I allow anyone to mistreat me.  I do not understand men or women that allow a boyfriend, girlfriend, husband or wife to abuse them!  Get out of the relationship ASAP if you see that he or she intends to keep up physical, verbal or mental abuse in any fashion.  And parents,

please don't allow your spouce to abuse your children in any way either; what a coward you are if you allow this to happen to a child. 

These couples that Dr. Phil and his staff have chosen to attend Man Camp are very fortunate to get this opportunity; I pray that they will listen and learn and use the tools that Dr. Phil and his staff will try to teach them.  If I were the wife on any of these men, this would be their one and only chance to change themselves and turn their life around for me to want to stay with them in marriage.  If not, so long buster, don't need you, don't want to have ANYTHING to do with you! 

I would be a lonely spinster for my entire life before I would let a man or anyone else mistreat me!

I am blessed to have the most wonderful, kind, loving, Godly man to be my life mate.

September 8, 2007, 6:22 pm CDT

Love does change, but not this way.

When I say love changes, I don't mean it in a bad way. I have been married 33 years. I still love my husband. But not that butterflies in the stomach feeling.(By the way, I still had that butterflies in the stomach feeling at 6 weeks, even 9 months.) At some point along the way it matured into a more settled kind of love. Not a take-it -for -granted kind of love. More a steady warm forever kind of love. It's sad to think that so soon into a marriage these couples are having these kinds of problems. I feel very fortunate in my life and I hope DrP can help these couples and give them some kind of hope. By the way, I have never to this day felt the need to have a knife under my pillow.

September 8, 2007, 6:49 pm CDT

09/11 The Dr. Phil House: Man Camp Newlyweds

Sleeping with a knife under the pillow ? YIKES, shouldn't marriage be based on trust ?

You know I belive that with Divorce rates the way they are, I think that legally, NO COUPLE should be allowed to marry WITHOUT PROOF of pre martial counselling, not a guarentee (what in life is ) but it might just open communication and encourage some maybe to slow down and rethink the whole thing (better single and happy than married and miserable), and the mundane parts of marriage (bills, chores, careers etc. ) not romantic pillow talk, but they should be DISCUSSED BEFORE the wedding, unfortunatly, these are often overlooked, marriage is NOT all candlelight and roses.

Just my opinion.

September 8, 2007, 7:26 pm CDT

What?????

Why would anyone even have to ask should i stay or should i go? Well i guess we will see there "REASONS" as they call not enough sence to leave.

September 8, 2007, 7:40 pm CDT

Wish you all the best :)

Quote From: trisda

I am one of the mancampers wife, let me tell you 12000 couples applied for this and 3 got picked, unfortunately there is alot of disfunction going on in America, we are just one of the couples that got picked and chose to display our issues on national television in hopes of some help.
Hopes are something to look forward to not to hope that you dont get beat or killed by a man you love. I dont believe in divorce but if a man ever put me in the situation it would be best to step aside and see it from there. You all are living such danger in your lives and i hope you find peace and if its apart then so be it. Forgiveness comes to those who ask not those who allow these awfull things to contiue. I HOPE you find the change you need but a hateful person needs to know the things they do in order to change and after a while they normal go back to them all over again. I HOPE you your HOPES come out the way you wish, and if not i HOPE you get out before your family has to bury you casue his temper went to far.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last