Message Boards

Topic : 12/31 Faking It?

Number of Replies: 234
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 14, 2007, 03:43:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/17/07) Secrets, aliases, disguises … Dr. Phil's guests are liars and cons who manipulate people to get what they want. Fred Brito is an ex-con and self-proclaimed "Benevolent Con Man," who spent years fabricating identities and falsifying resumes to obtain top-level, six-figure-salary positions with highly esteemed organizations. He's faked being everything from a symphony conductor to a psychiatrist! Fred even posed as a priest and married couples in the church. What happens when Maria and Gene, who were married by "Father Fred," confront him? Will he admit to his wrongdoing? Fred says he's no longer in the con game, but is "Honest Fred" just another scam? Then, "Linda" says she had everyone believing she was dying and needed a kidney transplant to save her life. She even lost 30 pounds and wore a dialysis tube to make her made-up illness seem more convincing. Is she serious about getting help and stopping the lies, or is she lying to get Dr. Phil's attention? What's at the root of Linda's deception? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 17, 2007, 10:15 am CDT

Con Artists in Church!

We recently had an "evangelist" from another state come to our church for a revival.  He was very domineering, condescending, and downright abusive to the members, especially the women.  He was so vicious I was afraid some of the people in the congregation who were depressed would be pushed over the edge, myself included!

This man is very arrogant, self-righteous, and his behavior is very unbecoming of a minister of the gospel.  He made fun of our clothes, our hair styles, and put us down every way he could!  He is so arrogant that his website has a notice posted "Unauthorized use of this site could revoke your salvation!"  What a bunch of nonsense!

Our church, as well as another who was co-sponsoring him for another revival in July cancelled because it was driving away church members.  Some came back when they heard of the cancellation, some unfortunately did not.  When he found out the revivals were cancelled and he was told not to come, he called our pastor and was so ugly to his wife she hung up on him.

I am sure the IRS would be interested in this man's intentions, but are there other agencies that can investigate the activities of these "evangelists?"

September 17, 2007, 10:20 am CDT

09/17 Faking It?

Quote From: rentailor

I also wonder about other non-violent, white-collar ex-convicts; it's an automatic bar from employment regardless of what companies claim. 
It's not just white collar non-violent ex-con's who have a hard time finding jobs. My son had to relly try hard to find a job after he was released. Everywhere he went one of the first things he was asked was "Have you been convicted of a felony in the last 7 years?" Didn't matter if it was non-violent or not. Thankfully he was able to get a job with a previous employer. He's been there for 18 months and doing pretty good. Sometimes all someone needs is a chance to prove themselves.

September 17, 2007, 10:30 am CDT

09/17 Faking It?

Quote From: flthomcat

Wow. What compassion and empathy you possess:)

Sorry, but a victim is a victim is a victim. NOBODY has the right to con anybody.

Do you blame robbery victims as well, when they walk alone at night? Do you blame rape victims because they may be pretty, dress sexy and hang out in bars?

Cons pick on the truly innocent; they make the easiest and best victims. The more trusting and HONEST a person is, the easier s/he is to con.

Please look up the words "empathy" and "compassion." Thank you.

Cons pick on the truly innocent; they make the easiest and best victims. The more trusting and HONEST a person is, the easier s/he is to con.

I am constantly cautioning my mom to be very careful who she opens her door to, and what information she gives out over the phone. It makes me furious when i see on the news where some innocent elderly person is conned out of their life savings.

September 17, 2007, 10:49 am CDT

"didn't. . .scheme innocent people" What?

Quote From: bananasmommy

I've seen Fred Brito on another show, too.  It seems to me that Fred Brito is a non-vilolent ex-convict who found that, because of his criminal record, it was going to be impossible for him to become employed in the type of work that he longed to do, mostly positions of service and caring for others.  And this same thing happens to non-viloent ex-convicts seeking employment in this country every single day.  And we wonder why so many ex-cons end up re-offending!

Look at Fred's record -- he didn't try to scheme innocent people out of their last dollars.  He conned his way into the preisthood and other positions of service.  Was it okay for him to do that?  Of course not.  Were there people who were hurt by his deception?  Certainly.  I don't argue that what he did was right, but if you listen ... neither does he.  He knows he did wrong, and is now trying to use his life and experience to be helpful to others.  In an honest way.

I hope that people will try to listen with an open mind on Monday.  I think Fred Brito has an important message to share, about the fate of ex-convicts in America. 

If these were not innocent people I'd like to know what they were?  They certainly seemed innocent to me.  Judgement of this sort is even listed amongst commonly used fallacies where you blame the accuser- the one not at fault for other's wrong doings and inappropriate behavior.  Common, we all know what you said is not true.  And, service, please- what service did he offer?  He pretended to be a priest a holy man ordained from God.  This man is far from holy.  He looks down and takes pride in looking down on helping others through government welfare programs.  Programs to help and assist during times of needs.  He's a mere corruption to societies values and beliefs. 

learningftf

September 17, 2007, 11:01 am CDT

"Everyone needs a chance to prove themselves"

Quote From: cissie88

It's not just white collar non-violent ex-con's who have a hard time finding jobs. My son had to relly try hard to find a job after he was released. Everywhere he went one of the first things he was asked was "Have you been convicted of a felony in the last 7 years?" Didn't matter if it was non-violent or not. Thankfully he was able to get a job with a previous employer. He's been there for 18 months and doing pretty good. Sometimes all someone needs is a chance to prove themselves.

I agree that with what you said, "everyone needs a chance to prove themselves."  How many chances?  You live in a world of misconception if you think that conning people is the same as proving yourself.  I understand how difficult it is for ex-inmates to prove themselves and the difficulties that they encounter, but turning to coning people to prove yourself is no way right or an acceptable route. 

It may be that people like this do not know any other way, it doesn't make what they are doing right or just.  It makes them either confused, ignorant, too stubborb to ask for help, without resources for help, or lazy.  It still does not make it right.  I believe Dr. Phil has a saying that fits here, "If you're going to do the crime you might as well know that you will have to pay the price."  Take ownership for your behavior and truly make a change instead of making excuses.

learningftf

September 17, 2007, 11:58 am CDT

09/17 Faking It?

Quote From: learningftf

I agree that with what you said, "everyone needs a chance to prove themselves."  How many chances?  You live in a world of misconception if you think that conning people is the same as proving yourself.  I understand how difficult it is for ex-inmates to prove themselves and the difficulties that they encounter, but turning to coning people to prove yourself is no way right or an acceptable route. 

It may be that people like this do not know any other way, it doesn't make what they are doing right or just.  It makes them either confused, ignorant, too stubborb to ask for help, without resources for help, or lazy.  It still does not make it right.  I believe Dr. Phil has a saying that fits here, "If you're going to do the crime you might as well know that you will have to pay the price."  Take ownership for your behavior and truly make a change instead of making excuses.

learningftf

I live in a world of misconception? Try reading my post again, because for the life of me I can't figure out where I said that conning someone is the same as proving oneself. I was meerly responding to another poster who was wondering about other non-violent white-collar criminals. I simply said that it wasn't just white-collar criminals who have a hard time. It applies to all people coming out of prison.

September 17, 2007, 12:13 pm CDT

09/17 Faking It?

Quote From: noveldreams

I think Fred is hysterical! He could not make his illness more visible. First of all, did he really believe that we all bought into his insincere sincerity? Then to top it off, does he really think he's going to get a book published? I've been trying to do that for years and I'm not a sociopath, con artist or liar. If he get's a book published, I would have lost all faith in the traditional work hard, get rewards, belief.

The only book I see him getting published is one that shows him in the front, holding a sign in front of his chest which reads: Beware of con artist's like me!

Re: your title: Fred the wannabe psychiatrist vs. Dr. Phil the real psychiatrist
Dr. Phil is a psychologist. A psychiatrist has gone to medical school.

September 17, 2007, 12:31 pm CDT

Fred the fool

As I watch the show, this man is literally proud of himself, he is CRAZY! Man, he thinks he can publish a book that he didn't write?! This guys has problems, Big problems. I am was so proud of the couple that showed up! When she said that she wanted her money back, Loved it loved it...so SWEET!! I am just not sure they will even see that money...EVER.  What I am afraid of is if he one day decides that he wants to be a doctor or something and just lies his way in...then what?! Scary!! Fred you are a fool, liar,and mental!

September 17, 2007, 12:53 pm CDT

Oh my God!!!

I cannot believe this sociopathic, lying, arrogant, snake oil salesman!!  He is totally convinced of himself!  Just once I would love for him to answer a question directly.  As for the couple he "married," he owes them more than $10,000.00; he owes them a straight answered public apology, a straight answered apology to the church, the caterer, guests, and anyone else he has harmed.  These people will have trust issues for the rest of their lives because of the harm he has done to them.  As far as getting a job because of your criminal past; you deserve all the hell and turmoil you have coming to you.  After all, if you do the crime, you do the time.  God forgives us immediately for our transgressions; but we still must suffer the consequences that our actions have caused because it creates a domino effect.  As far as "Linda" is concerned, getting attention from doctors is not enough for you; you now are wanting national attention by abusing the media and whining about your "sickness."  You are a parasite looking for a new and bigger host.  Get over yourself. 

September 17, 2007, 12:53 pm CDT

09/17 Faking It?

This guy is totally a con, as Im sure you have already figured out! He should be ashamed to show his face on national tv! He lied over and over again to Dr.Phil, but its like he believes his own lies..he really believes that he is the victm...this guy should be locked up..this is unbelievable!!! I also believe that he should come good for the FAKE wedding he performed.. whats even more pathetic, is he WILL not come right out and apologize to them..its always well what your not getting..what you dont understand...What he doesnt understand is hes a liar, and a con, and he should pay for what hes done!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last