Message Boards

Topic : 12/31 Faking It?

Number of Replies: 234
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 14, 2007, 03:43:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/17/07) Secrets, aliases, disguises … Dr. Phil's guests are liars and cons who manipulate people to get what they want. Fred Brito is an ex-con and self-proclaimed "Benevolent Con Man," who spent years fabricating identities and falsifying resumes to obtain top-level, six-figure-salary positions with highly esteemed organizations. He's faked being everything from a symphony conductor to a psychiatrist! Fred even posed as a priest and married couples in the church. What happens when Maria and Gene, who were married by "Father Fred," confront him? Will he admit to his wrongdoing? Fred says he's no longer in the con game, but is "Honest Fred" just another scam? Then, "Linda" says she had everyone believing she was dying and needed a kidney transplant to save her life. She even lost 30 pounds and wore a dialysis tube to make her made-up illness seem more convincing. Is she serious about getting help and stopping the lies, or is she lying to get Dr. Phil's attention? What's at the root of Linda's deception? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 15, 2007, 1:31 pm CDT

I have seen "Father" Fred before on another show.

Man this guy is slick!(And I certainly mean that in a negative way.)This should be a very interesting show. I have every idea that he came on the show planning to con DrP.I wonder if he will paint himself into a corner?(The "Father", I mean.) This is a guy who is easy to dislike from what I've seen of him. I only hope DrP will give him what for.

September 15, 2007, 4:34 pm CDT

Anxious to see this

Quote From: housewife52

Man this guy is slick!(And I certainly mean that in a negative way.)This should be a very interesting show. I have every idea that he came on the show planning to con DrP.I wonder if he will paint himself into a corner?(The "Father", I mean.) This is a guy who is easy to dislike from what I've seen of him. I only hope DrP will give him what for.
 I am anxious to see the show, since I used to be married to a guy like this.  Thanx for the heads up that you have seen this guy before.....I'm setting my recorder as we speak.

September 15, 2007, 5:11 pm CDT

09/17 Faking It?

It is incredible how people in our society can carry on cons for so long.  I know we have a problem with illegal imigrants, but for legitimate citizens to con like this shows me how low some people will go and think of nobody but themselves.  I guess they have no concience or regard for the feelings of others.

September 15, 2007, 5:38 pm CDT

09/17 Faking It?

Gosh, this kinda sounds like my ex-husband.He pretended to be a very good muslim to get me on the hook cause he knew it was important for me to have a husband who took islam serious.But all he was after, was residence in a western country.When hegot it in Sweden,he left me and our newborn daughter. with other words:he faked to be a good muslim.Now he is sooo far from islam.

September 15, 2007, 6:48 pm CDT

It's sad about the fake health problems

That woman is faking.  My husband - for real has kidney failure from high dose chemo.  My husband - for real has been battling for his life with cancer these past 3 years.  The kidney failure happened when he thought he could lick the cancer once and for all with high dosage chemo in May of this year.  Instead it destroyed his kidneys landing him in ICU twice.  Why would you want to fake health problems when at any time you could get hit with the real thing?  Enjoy life - live in the moment.  We don't live in any "limelight" with his illness although he has wonderful friends and family that care a whole lot.  We may go for days without someone calling but we know they care but are busy with their own lives too.  If God blesses you with good health use it for helping others and caring about others not just yourself.

September 15, 2007, 7:02 pm CDT

Cons and Cons...

There are cons and also impersonators.   I admit I have a false identity on the Web in the form of a nickname but as I know that I must trust only a few, I do not share direct informations with most of the people.  It sure gives someone a sense of power but it shouldn't be as such.  I talk often with people that have a hard time coping with their everyday lives and it is not always funny, you can be sure of that.  But this anonymous person I keep is a way to keep a distance between these people and I, because you already know that, affected people are sensible to anything that brings them hope or well being and they tend to lean towards what is coming to them.  That is why I feel distances must be kept.

As for doing wrong, everybody can err one time or two in their lives, it is still forgivable but, the abuse of someone that is already living some Hell is very unpallatable to me.  In fact I despise an abuser.  But sometimes people are the one comitting the error of letting too much exposed like, some over-proud parents that show their kids on adult sites.

Even with a pseudo, I still keep my best morality alive with it.  When kids trample on my sites, I always ask if a parent is near by and insist to say hello to their folks, sometimes they hang or simply put their mothers on or their father.  That is the clean thing to do and this way, a parent can know me and in the same time I profit of that pause to direct them towards some neat sites for kids.

As for the common con artists, many are acting on very old tricks that target mostly uninformed people or computers illeterates (newbies as we say).  The worst kind is the one that tries to scare you with something that could be but that is not, like the Y2K scare.  It always cost a lot to the people who get grabbed by this stupid con.

Must we all show who we are?  I'd say no to that if impersonal relations are to be made but if crime is the case, make them known worldwide.

Thanks for your time.

September 15, 2007, 8:45 pm CDT

Dr. P I've been writing to you about the ultimate fraud...

Dr. P,

I've been writing to you and Oprah (as I am an incest survivor) about the fraud of a second marriage that my husband strategized and calculated so that he could protect himself financially AFTER he had taken everything from me after our 1st divorce. My 2nd divorce just became final and he had the nerve to put the words in the divorce decree that I cannot pursue and charges against him concerning fraud, deception or calculation strategy of this second marriage. He is STILL strategizing!

With my career, and the "things" we gained from it; his net worth is now over one million dollars.  I am on the food stamp program and permanently disabled due to Severe Major Depression w/Dythsyimia, PTSD, Panic Disorder & Anxiety Disorder.  I have not worked since 1993 and now am $39,000 in debt to the equity of my home, the only thing I have left ... He has our retirement home on Cape Cod, free of any mortgage, a beach home on the Connecticut shoreline, free of any mortgage and yet he courted me after the first divorce, and I will take the responsibility of allowing myself to open my shattered heart to him and fall in love with him based on verbal promises of fulfilling our original dreams of the 1st marriage that lasted 23.5 years.Ten days before we were to marry the second time, he put a pre-marital agreement in front of me and said that he couldn't marry me if I didn't sign it.... but "of course, I'll never divorce you ..." We married December 4, 2003. Last September 12, 2006, the Sheriff knocked on my door and there was an envelope with my name on it. I have been served. I am being sued for divorce.

Dr. P. I was in shock. I literally could not move away from the door for. I read only the first half of the first page. That's all I needed to read. I don't know how long I stood behind that closed door thinking to myself "But he promised me he loved me and would love me until the day he died; he allowed me to meet and care for my "grandchildren" then tore them away from me; he told me he would love and care for me always; he told me he wanted to grow old together. What happened?

It was at that point, I held the papers as far above my head as possible as I have a broken neck & said out loud to God: "God, I can't do this anymore. You HAVE to take this from me. Whatever is the result of this divorce I will accept it because I know it will have come from You. I surrender my entire life into Your precious hands." 

The divorce became final September 13th, 2007. These two divorces are very much affecting my future, the possibility of losing my home, oh, btw: I'm first generation Italian and recvd no support from any of my family because divorce is unacceptable; at the first divorce my father told me "never to come back to his house ever again!"  I replied "Don't worry, I won't. I called my lawyer as soon as I got home, asked him when the first legal day I could leave the state to go to live in Florida (I figured if I was going to go through so much suffering I may as well do it in good weather also my father would have harrassed me into NOT divorcing him and I just couldn't take that Dr. Phil, I ended up in the Psychiatric Hospital towards the end of the first divorce for 20 days and about 8 days after I was released, all of a sudden there were final divorce papers for me to sign. I was preoccupied with suicide ideation and under heavy meds; I figured the best thing to do was just sign the papers ... little did I know I signed away everything I educated myself for and worked so hard for as one of the first Nuclear Power Engineering Technician's in the country. That salary is what built "our dream homes" that I just signed away under the haze of drugs and being emotionally broken.  

His ultimate deception, fraud, calculated scheme to marry me so that I could not modify any alimony from the first divorce has hurt me so deeply I cannot begin to describe.

But Dr. P., I ask you and Oprah why do people do this?  He was a net millionaire after the first divorce, why did he serve me with divorce papers the second time, for a few more bucks in his own pocket?

I am now a practising Christian, I forgave him right away for intentionally hurting me and I told him I'd pray for his lost soul every day because the master he serves is money. The Bible says one cannot serve to masters, he will either hate one or love the other.  To this day, I pray for his fallen soul not for my benefit but for his eternal salvation.

But there is this need in me to know why he wants to see me homeless and how can he even sleep in the homes we built together with both of our careers?

How can someone be so cruelly deceptive?  How?  Why?

Dr. Phil; please, I beg you and Oprah to respond to me yourselves this time as both your staff has continually trashed my emails, letters to you discounting my situation. 

Please Dr. Phil, Oprah; don't push me away either. I am seeking  understanding and  help wherever I can about why this has happened to me. I have literally been going through a divorce for the past 10 years.  Any help from either or both of you would be greatly appreciated, please.

I will send you my phone number and address in private if I may.

~ Marianna

p.s. my Honda Accord just died on me with 122,000 miles on it and I couldn't see the logic of putting up to $3,500 into a car with that many miles on it so I bought a "new" used car - but all that did was add another monthly expense that has to get drawn from the remaining equity in "my" home.

September 15, 2007, 11:05 pm CDT

"Father Fred"

I am out raged by this man!  It isn't enough that the Catholic church community gets enought ridicrule with the sexual abuse coming out into the open.  Now this man has the guts to portray himself as a priest and defile the church.  ARG!

September 16, 2007, 2:58 am CDT

Con Men and Women amuse me. And sometimes I admire them!

I think in many cases, the folks who get conned aren't that innocent to start with.

Sometimes they are pitifully dumb, but sometimes, esp. in financial cons, are out to make an illegal buck themselves.

I

September 16, 2007, 4:12 am CDT

Manipulators

Do these people even have a guilt complex at all.  They seem to be only thinking about "number one".  What about all those people who Fred married?  If I'm not mistaken they are not legally married and what do they do now?  I doubt if he even cares about how many lives he has messed up.  He probably doesn't even care about all those lives he has put in danger, especially, when he pretended to be a psychiatrist. He should have seen a psychiatrist.  I doubt if this main has a remorseful bone in his body.  Just by looking at the previews for this show, he makes me "sick" knowing he took advantage of all these people.  The woman also has a major problem.  What won't people do to get attention, money, etc. just to be noticed; she must have a low self-esteem.  They both are sick and need help and I know neither one is remorseful.  I don't believe they really want help and just want to be on tv.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last