Message Boards

Topic : 03/06 Etiquette Dilemmas

Number of Replies: 1001
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 14, 2007, 03:44:36 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/18/07) Does it annoy you to no end when someone uses a cell phone at the dinner table or chews with his or her mouth open? Along with author Peggy Post, Dr. Phil tackles the dos and don’ts of etiquette. One issue making recent headlines is appropriate in-flight attire. Kyla was flying to Phoenix on Southwest Airlines when an employee informed her that her outfit was too skimpy. Kyla saw nothing wrong with the way she was dressed and was appalled when she was asked to cover up. Did the airline go overboard, or was Kyla too tantalizing for take-off? Then, Kate took her 19-month-old son on his first flight, but she was removed from the plane when he became too talkative. Was the airline out of line for telling Kate to shut her baby up? Peggy Post weighs in on this polarizing problem. And, Joan says she doesn’t have any peace at home because of all the noise her family makes – from loud chewing to clinking dinnerware. Her husband, Bob, says he and their three children have to walk on eggshells around Joan just to eat dinner. Is Joan overly sensitive, or does her family need to be reined in? Plus, meet a woman who says her husband’s bad manners didn’t disturb her until she had a baby, and a guest who nominated herself as having the worst etiquette in the country! Share your own etiquette peeves and join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 15, 2007, 2:06 pm CDT

09/18 Etiquette

If the airlines think they need to be fashion police, then they should institute a dress code and make customers aware of it BEFORE they buy a ticket. Believe me, I think today's fashions are much too revealing as well, but I have seen people in church dressed as this young woman was.

And as for infants and toddlers.........the airlines are public transportation, not pediatricians. Kids cry and fuss and talk and babble and play - that's life. Definitely some people don't discipline their children, but there's not much other people can do about it any more than we can do anything about the price of gas.

September 15, 2007, 4:20 pm CDT

Sometimes two sides

I would like to address the woman who is sensitive to noise especially at the dinner table.  The thought that came to mind was that I too am sensitive to noise due to having a mental health disorder where your senses are heightended to the point that anything including being startled is too hard on my nerves and I am close to a panic attack.  My point is that there is perhaps a medical condition or mental condition that this person might have that causes the sensitivity to noise. 

Also another factor to consider for poor ediquette might be is how/where a person is reared.  Some countries too have different acceptances of what people do.  So just a word to know the whole story before making a decision. 

September 15, 2007, 4:26 pm CDT

Cell Phone peeves

I been thanked quite a few times for the way I use my cell in public,  when my sis called me while I was wainting on line to check out, first I was talking in a low voice,  and when it was my turn at the counter I told my sister I would call her back,  I hung up the phone and paid for my books and that is when the clerk said thank you for doing that ,  I really do think that it's rude for people to first  talk so dang blasted loud and and have commen sense to know better.

As for the woman on the plane I saw nothing wrong with her outfit and  the way the plane seat are configured you would not see her panties unless her legs were wide open and hanging over the seat in front of her

September 15, 2007, 5:15 pm CDT

Kyla and SouthWest

I hope that Kyla and her attorney Sue SouthWest for infringing on her rights.  Although her attire might be

considered 'skimpy' by some, there was nonthing inapproperite about the way that she was dressed.

SouthWests people need to be educated to the fact that they are not 'gods' and people have rights.  I have watched the show 'airport' featuring SouthWests people and they seem to think their right on everything

they do.

September 15, 2007, 6:01 pm CDT

Kate's flight etiquette

I'm looking forward to seeing this show, when I read about Kate coming on with her story about being kicked off the plane thanks to her 19-month-old son.

I remember reading this story on Yahoo!, which I later copied and pasted in a new thread in a soap opera forum, in the "chitterchatter" forum.  Isn't this the one where the kid said "Bye-bye, plane" over and over and the easily annoyed stewardess told poor Kate, "You know, it's called baby Benadryl?"  As soon as I saw that, I was immediately calling the stewardess out on her bad behaviour, and screaming for the airline to discipline and/or fire her.  The STEWARDESS was the one who needed a lesson on etiquette.

I don't think Kate should be disciplining her son to be quiet if he was saying something as innocent as "Bye-bye, plane."  Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!  If I were on a plane, and my seatmate's kid was like that, I'd be smiling and  thinking, "Aw, how cute."  If I got sick of it after an hour (when the seatbelt sign was turned off and we'd be well into the air) I'd offer to get him a toy or a book to entertain himself.  As a writer, I'd even offer to read to him.  If this were my potential baby daughter, I would allow her to go on with it, provided that the people around me were okay with it, and I think most would.  If a steward(ess) was rudely teling me to quiet my kid when she was doing nothing wrong, my response would be, "And what exactly is wrong with this?  I don't exactly see an in-flight movie playing.  I don't think she's distracting anyone."  If said steward(ess) told me to medicate my child as a result... well, I wouldn't care about his/her so-called authority, I'd slap him/her so hard, (s)he'd fall down on the backside, THEN I'd write a GOOD complaint letter to the airlines, calling for the steward(ess)'s dismissal and a refund. 

I hope Kate has at least done the latter.  Can't wait to hear her story on Tuesday.  I want to see how this all played out for her.  Hopefully, the results were in HER favour.

September 15, 2007, 6:11 pm CDT

09/18 Etiquette

Quote From: hudstud

What drives me through the wall is someone who chews their ice!!!  I almost have to leave the room.  Anybody else have this problem?

Yes I do too. It has always bothered me and I'm 67 yrs of age. Just drives me up the wall.

September 15, 2007, 6:11 pm CDT

Kyla

Quote From: onoone02

I happen to see Kyla on the Today show with her mother and attorney. Matt interviewed her for several minutes in a close up shot. She was then asked to stand up and show the "outfit" she was wearing on that fateful day. The outfit was nice, the skirt in my opinion was a bit short, but what bothered me, was when she sat down, you could see her underwear; perhaps this was the situation on the plane. Was a family exposed to her exposure, and in trying to protect someone's innocence, did they complain?

Kyla said to begin with, she just wanted an apology...but now they are contemplating whether or not to file a lawsuit....is this another situation where a child being told "no" throws a tantrum and we are going to give into that "fit" ???? Our society has become a "I can do what I want no matter what"....laws are blatantly broken and another attorney makes more money and a name for themselves by defending a wrong doing. We need to start thinking others "rights"  as much as we think about our own...it may change society a little.

What I want to know is why every time someone says they want an apology, there is a significant lawsuite behind it.  None of them care about the apology.  All they care about is the cash.  I think all these young girls look like street walkers.  If they want to send that message, that's their problem.  Just quit suing everyone that disagrees with you. 

September 15, 2007, 6:34 pm CDT

Changing shoes in a restaurant

I was surprised and grossed out when a woman came in and sat down at a table next to mine (and husband's) in an intimate restaurant in our town.  The woman complained loudly to her husband/boyfriend and then proceeded to take off her knee high boots, massage her feet and then change her shoes.  OK, I could SMELL her feet.  It was terrible.  Don't people have manners anymore??

SuziQubes

September 15, 2007, 6:37 pm CDT

Etiquette

Quote From: xtanner

I was stunned and nauseated when a date blew his nose in his dinner napkin then returned to eating without missing a beat!  
UGH, this makes me sick.  I think I'd have to leave the table and then I'd never date him again.  Then I'd be sure and tell him why I wouldn't date him again.  DISGUSTING.

September 15, 2007, 6:39 pm CDT

It's about time!!!

I'm so glad somebody is finally talking about this subject. I was raised to eat with my mouth shut and not to talk with food in mouth. To keep my elbows off the table, and to clean my plate. Becaise there was hungry people in the world who didn't have what we have, and trust me it was much. I was also to respect my elders and not talk back to them at any time. If I did I got my mouth popped, or a whopping. Nowadays kids walk all over their parents and any other adult around. It's uncalled for and adults nowadays should be ashamed for allowing it to go on. I can't stand to go out to eat where there alot of kids around, it sounds like a bunch of pigs. Then to have to hear someone else phone conversation is a nightmare. I've been in a situation were I thought someone was talking to me and they were talking to this thing called a Blue Tooth. I've actually answered them and they turned around and looked at me like I was crazy. Now as far as what went on with the lady and her clothing, that's her business and they should have kept quiet. And as for the mother and her child that was told to get off the plane, she should sue them. Thanks Dr. Phil for bring this subject up.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last