Message Boards

Topic : 12/24 Nasty Neighbors

Number of Replies: 226
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 14, 2007, 03:46:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/19/07) Are you the kind of neighbor who loans a cup of sugar and always waves hello, or do you keep to yourself and call the cops the minute you hear loud music? Dr. Phil talks to guests who say they definitely don’t live in Mr. Roger’s neighborhood! Kerry says her next-door neighbor, Kevin, has been stalking and threatening her for four years. She says he vandalized her home and even tried to run her over, all because she refused to go on a date with him. Kevin denies Kerry’s allegations and says she threw eggs and dog feces at his house, shot a BB gun through his bathroom window and called his job making death threats. You won’t believe what he caught on videotape! And, Kerry’s other neighbors say she’s been terrorizing them for over 12 years. Fearing retaliation, they join Dr. Phil via satellite. Then, Misty says her neighbors, Donna and Larry, have a faulty, smelly septic tank that floods her property. Donna and Larry say the problem is not the water from their tank, but Misty’s uneven driveway. Who’s responsible for the dirty water in Misty’s driveway, and will their relationship stay afloat? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 16, 2007, 9:21 pm CDT

We try to be good neighbors.

We've had a neighbor or two that were always busy patrolling the neighborhood. One in particular always complained about our vegetable garden in our front yard. We coudln't have one in the back yard because of the huge water oaks.

We often tried to offer some our fresh home-grown veggies, to no avail. However, she would take them from if we asked another neighbor to deliver them. We came to conclusion that she must have been a lonely and miserable woman to be so worried about our yard.

We've moved but not because of her, but I still think of her and hope her life is more enjoyable.

We still have neighbors that can be bothersome. But unless we see animals or children in trouble or suspect abuse, we don't usually get involved.

I guess since we all survived Hurricane Ivan we've been more tolerant of each other.

We have had neighbors call the police once on us. It was a completely understandable and we all laughed about it later. My husband and our three boys were installing shingles on a new addition to our home.They were using pneumatic nail guns which have  a popping sound much like a gun going off. It was getting dark. My husband called down from the roof for me to lock our vehicles and the front door because the police helicopter was flying overhead with the spot light on and he could see police cruisers running up and down the streets. Finally, the helicopter shown it's light on my husband and boys who all stopped what they were doing and waved a hello.

The helicopter left and so did the police.  It's been several years since then and we still laugh about it now. We totally understand why a neighbor called. Those nail guns really do sound like a rifle being shot.  

September 16, 2007, 11:50 pm CDT

I have been accused

My neighbors of over 15 years have accused me of killing their dogs--even tho it would take a Nolan Ryan to throw anything over their fence-across their pool and over the bushes and the 4 foot fence and get it to land behind their garage.  I am 65.  I know this sounds strange--but the Mother-I have banned all of them from my property--does not want her husband to know that their youngest son is a molester who was sent to Alternative school and letters were sent by the complining parent stating that if the police did nothing-and if the school did nothing-they would.  They did--they killed their dogs--so what do these neighbors of 15 years do--decide-that the only person who could have done the killing is--me.  Since I have never in my life killed anything but roaches-UGH-and they know me, I have decided that the Mother is afraid to tell her husband about Mitch's bad behavior--I noticed when I took the computer generated letter to her with a threat. she was so secretive--and made sure her husband was not around.  When he and his two sons stood there threatening me by their posture--oblivious of the manupliation of their Mother--I walked away.  Believe me when I say see started after me saying "He's just upset.  Give it a few weeks and we will be friends again"  I said "Sure".  Removed myself from what I felt was a potentially explosive situation--.

But-I am still angry that these people-whose children I cared for-would use me this way.  I am now into-"I do not want to anything to do with you again."--I think we have to get rid of poisoned people,

September 17, 2007, 9:03 am CDT

To "guthrie"

Quote From: guthrie

I understand the nasty neighbor situation quite handily. A year ago my neighbors Pit Bull and Rottweiler killed my little dog Jake, a small Lhasa Apso.

We live out in the country and there arent any laws regarding animals being kept up in a fenced area or on a leash. I tried to keep Jake in the house but from time to time he would get away from me. On the particular day of his death he had been out of my sight for approximately 10 minutes. I kept calling for him but he wouldnt come. After about 30 minutes missing Jake, one of my neighbors sons called to let me know that the Pit and the Rottweiler had Jake in the ditch besides my house mauling him. I went off with a pistol for self protection against the two dogs in order to find Jake, but it was too late, they had done the deed already. I fired a warning shot at the two dogs to stop them from coming at me. My neighbor who owned the dogs came out and started yelling at me and here I am the one with the dead dog, go figure. Anyway long story short my husband told them that if they valued their animals that they had better keep them fenced as we were tired of their dogs viciously attacking our animals and intimidating us. This had been going on forever not all damage done was ascribed to this pair of dogs, however they did cause a great amount of fear and angst. These dogs were killing another neighbors cats, so much so the folks who owned the cats moved away they couldn't take it any more. They would always get the same sort of dog and allow them to run free over the neighborhood. Well they kept the dogs up for a few days. The Rottweiler was loose and ran at my husband, my 2-year-old grandson and myself on our property. This was the final straw my husband got the shotgun and killed the dog immediately. Upon this happening, the owner of the dog our esteemed neighbor went ballistic. Threatening my husband with bodily harm and calling him everything but a white man. I called the sheriffs department to get the idiot to go away at least he was smart enough not to set a foot on our property and has not yet. But we cant go out in our yard to do anything without them giving us the middle finger salute nor can we drive down the road without it happening. Here of late we have been finding golf balls aimed at our barn and travel trailer, so far no sign of damage good thing that they apparently arent any good at golf or they would probably be breaking out windows or denting the barn it has metal siding. I am concerned that at some point in the near future the neighbor who is probably 30 years old and looks to be well over 6', 200 lbs., will physically confront my husband who is a 60-year-old. At times we talk about moving because of all of this nonsense, but I refuse to allow these folks to take any more away from me than they already did when they took my little buddy away. It is hard on my husband because he gets so angry, I think this allows them to win and I try to convince him to ignore them, but it doesnt work to well.

I'm sooo sorry for your loss...one of my Labs is named "Jake" and I would be devastated IF something of this nature were to happen to him OR my other Lab, Sonny.

To update my story:  This past weekend; as I suspected would occur, the little Pitt-mix DID chew her way through the bottom of that joining fence and made into our backyard!  Fortunately, I was able to get my two Labs inside in time before anything bad could have happened.  Since I was by myself at home, I called the police to have them remove the dog from our property as I wasn't going to attempt this myself; having never had physical contact with either of those two dogs I could not predict their behavior, I wasn't about to take any chances.  Within the hour, the neighbor who owns the dog came home from her outing, knocked on my door and proceeded to apologize for the ordeal/inconvenience caused me and as well as her "snotty" behavior toward me a few days earlier, which I truly appreciated!  We're both going to try and rectify the problem on our sides of the fence and hopefully by doing so will stop her dog(s) from venturing over.  Maybe one of these days, we'll even "socialize" both sets of dogs so they get used to one another. :)

OXO
Lucy B.

September 17, 2007, 4:04 pm CDT

Dogs...

I love animals and I feel for most of you out there when it comes to pets.  There is a dog that runs around my parent's house.  In fact she started to chase my horses (I Keep them at my parents) and one of my horses got fed up and launched the dog over the fence...I called the neighbor to let him know what happened and he had the nerve to ask my horse had been so vicious....I told him next time I was going to take my 22 to his dog.  (We live in the country).  Fortunatly or unfortunatly it happened that vicious dog that chased my horses got into a fight with another's neighbor's dog and while the neighbor dog was trying to separate his dog and the vicious dog he got bit and 37 stiches later the vicious dog was put to sleep.  This neighborhood covers about 50 acres...so it isn't a small area and plenty of room for pets.  But people need to be responsible for their animals to include cats that are aloud to run loose in town.  If your dog is not secured you are responsible for whatever damage it may cause.

September 17, 2007, 4:08 pm CDT

If the was an award for this I SHOULD WIN!!

Ok well were to begin. The neighborhood that I live in is a culdsac of 200,000 to 300,000 dollar homes. would look at first glance a very respectible neighborhood. Myself, husband and 7 yr old son have resided in this neighborhood for 8 years. Everything was wonderful for about 5 years until the neighbors next door moved in. I was their welcome wagon. I introduced them to others in the neighborhood. Shortly after these peolpe moved in, the women living there with her boyfriend and HER son from another marriage WE were all very friendly for awhile. She was diagnosed with lymphoma. she went through kemo and was alweays very tired and sick. I would make extra dinner all the time and feed her and her son because her boyfriend would not help her. My son at the time was not old enough for school yet but I was kind enough to get up everyday at 6:30 a.m. to put her son on the bus. as well as babysit for her son almost everyday  because her boyfriend would not help her. Ok other nighbors that have been almost family to us since we have been here tryed to start a business from their home. It is a residenal area so that is not allowed. These new people that moved in all of the sudden were calling themselves the captains of the neighborhood association. THERE IS NO ASSOCIATION!! Becauce I refused to go against these particular neighbors and rally against them for starting a business. These people next to me have been ruthless eversince. For instance. There has been many confrontations between myself and this women. all resulting is a screaming match because she always has to have the last word. I was falsly accused last year of abusing my animals and That I run around my yard topless. WEll these people have a way of getting other neighbors to take thier side and go right along with whatever they want. These people had a 90 year old women lie and say I abuse our animals and that I run around topless, Needless to say I was arrested on my sons 6th birthday. I was dragged through court and after 6 months the judge realized It was a load of bull and dropped any and all charges. WEll that has now made things worse. I work for a school. she called my job and said all kinds of very bad but untrue things about me  I had to be dragged in front of the school board and prove to them I wanst the crazy person she was making me out to be. I almost lost my job. She called news reporters because my father in law was at the time the town supervisor and she was screaming favortism. even though I was suquestered to another town for court becasur of who my father inlaw was. So now I was getting phone calls from new reporters trying to say that was being treated differently in which I WAS NOT. AS well as Radio stations. I heard the brodcast on the radio one day. About a women that was allowed to beat her animals and walk around topless but becasue my family were politicians I was gewtting away with it. Everytime she wals by my house she will walk as close to my property to get my 2 little mini 15 lb dachunds to bark. She says she is so scared of them and calls the dog officer on my dogs everytime they make a peep. Mind you people she is antagoinzing them . Recently these neighbors but up a 9 feet 3/4 inch stockade fence seperating our properties. 10 feet  is considered a spite fence. they wouldve been make to lower is but they kept it just under 10 feet. of course the crappy side of the fence is facing us and that is unfortunalty not a law in this town either. There is a chainlink fence seperating our properties. They at first attached this stockade fence to my chainlink. I then had to hire a surveryor and a lawyer to get their fence off of mine and move it onto their own property. They put this fence back up to within 1 inch of the line. thinking that they can come into my yard whenever the want to maintain it. WEll that is just not possible. We are trying to add an addition to our garage and we have taken every proper step to cross every t and dot every I before we do anything. WEll these people campaigined the neighborhood against us and lied and said I was starting a business from home. So the majority of the neighborhood went to the zoning meeting for this. well the situation became so hostile that the zoning board walked off the panel. so we still have no descision. These people have also walked around the neighborhood and said some pretty rotten things about myself and my family. I dont exactly no what was said becasue now everyone that used to wave and say hello now look the other way or flip us the middle finger. for no reason. NOT ONE PERSON has had the decency to approach myslef or my husband to inquire about anything these people have told them. Over the summer If myself or my family tryed to enjoy our pool, these people would crank up the music as loud as possible but the have an enclosed glass window porch nad would only open the windows facing our side. SHE BURPS< FARTS CLAPS HER HANDS AND SCREAMS LIKE A WITCH all the time as soon as she sees me outside. There is no noise ordinance in this town either. I am not even able to make it out my door everysingle day and  she is calling me a FU---NG C--T or fipiing me the bird every chance she can get This women is slick, she makes sure no one is around to see her doing these things. I have called  the police many many many times but they insigate the problem more then they help. I actually got the local sherriffs dept in a bit of trouble last year becasue I wrote to the governer and explaind the situation to him and said that the police did not help one bit. They would come over and laugh at me. Not much came of it though. I have had property vandalized. My good name and reputation dragged through the mud. I could go on forever and ever here. I now am on an anti anxiety medication. I have even requested neighborhood mediation but they have refused. This women wants to get into a fight with me every day but I do everythin I can to avoid her. I have a very influential child to bring up. I want to instill good qualities in him. I have tryed everything from Harrassment charges, to slander to vandalism. but somehow someway these people turn things around to make themselves look like the victims and WE are the bad guys. Havent people ever heard there are two sides to every story. Why are they taking everything these people say as truth?? Becasue they are all scared of them. They see what the have done to us as well as a few othe nieghbors and they dont want the trouble so they go along with whatever they want. Currently My husband and I are seeking a new home to live in, This time we really want seclusion and privacy.. This was our first home we have put our blood sweat and tears into this home. WE are more than willing to let it all go just to get away from these people. It is a real shame. WE were here first and we have never done anything bad to any of these people around here. But nicknames people have branded us with is that I am a witch and my husband is the devil!! I just wish that someday soon all of this will come back and bite all these peolpe in the butt!! I feel terrible for the new people that are going to be living in my home. They are moving next to THe WITCH AND THE DEVIL if its going to be the right way. Seriously though if anybody knows of a legal way to handle this please let me know!!  ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!! AND WE NEED TO LEAVE OUR HOME NOW BECAUSE OF WHAT THE PEOPLE HAVE DONE TO US. wE WENT FROM VERY OUTGOING AND FRIENDLY. TO LITTERLY DESPISING THE HUMAN RACE!!

September 17, 2007, 6:24 pm CDT

09/19 Nasty Neighbors

I lived in a subdivision ONCE and ONLY ONCE, and I have concluded that neighbours are generally too much trouble.

We've lived next door to something that can only be described as a scene from "Animal House " the mounties were there every weekend.  Since we were renting, we did not have a dog at the time, but we still had to pick up doggie doo because the neighbours dogs weren't very good at knowing where the property lines were, and the party house next door had two babies in it, and their mother didn't think diapers should be kept tied up (no kidding, both my kids were trained at the time and I was still picking up diirty diapers ) was social services called , yup and what a joke, "she's only nineteen, and the babies are only eleven months apart ", give me a break, stressful, sure, but if your old enough to make them, then you'd better grow up and raise them. Off the soapbox now.

Then there was the woman up the street who would sit in her window and give the neighborhood kids the finger, a grown woman ! Anyway, she did this to a group of twelve to fourteen year old boys, okay what do you think she got right back ? She called the police on these boys, her and her husband would have knock down drag out fights in their backyards, that is when she wasn't harassing the other women on the street when she couldn't find him, if their husbands worked nights, or if the woman was single, she would force her way into the house insisting her husband was there ( trust me when I say we women weren't lining up for him ).

Then there was the other one who insisted his boxer/pitbull mix didn't need to be kept behind his fence, I have nothing against any breed of dog, I 'll make that clear, but this dog was a nasty piece of work, we became public enemy number one the night it almost attacked my son for having the NERVE to go out to the van to get something, my husband was going to kill it himself.

Now my nearest neighbours are an elderly couple, we can see the house, but there is quite a bit of space there.  It is so quiet, I revel in it.  I've come off as being a snob, but there's not enough time or space here to tell everything, suffice to say I like keeping to myself.

September 17, 2007, 6:27 pm CDT

09/19 Nasty Neighbors

Quote From: lcb81860

I'm sooo sorry for your loss...one of my Labs is named "Jake" and I would be devastated IF something of this nature were to happen to him OR my other Lab, Sonny.

To update my story:  This past weekend; as I suspected would occur, the little Pitt-mix DID chew her way through the bottom of that joining fence and made into our backyard!  Fortunately, I was able to get my two Labs inside in time before anything bad could have happened.  Since I was by myself at home, I called the police to have them remove the dog from our property as I wasn't going to attempt this myself; having never had physical contact with either of those two dogs I could not predict their behavior, I wasn't about to take any chances.  Within the hour, the neighbor who owns the dog came home from her outing, knocked on my door and proceeded to apologize for the ordeal/inconvenience caused me and as well as her "snotty" behavior toward me a few days earlier, which I truly appreciated!  We're both going to try and rectify the problem on our sides of the fence and hopefully by doing so will stop her dog(s) from venturing over.  Maybe one of these days, we'll even "socialize" both sets of dogs so they get used to one another. :)

OXO
Lucy B.

That is so awesome.

And you showed a great deal of common sense NOT to approach them, or handle them yourself, you did the right thing.

You know your story has made me think a bit more, that maybe not all neighbours are so bad, but I'd still rather not be close enough to pass them a beer over the deck.

September 18, 2007, 1:28 pm CDT

To

Quote From: ceildh1

That is so awesome.

And you showed a great deal of common sense NOT to approach them, or handle them yourself, you did the right thing.

You know your story has made me think a bit more, that maybe not all neighbours are so bad, but I'd still rather not be close enough to pass them a beer over the deck.

I hear ya!  No food OR any other exchanges for me either, UNLESS it were a matter of life for death! :)

Years ago, when my family moved to VA, I became very friendly with my neighbor (and her family) across the street from where we lived.  This friendship lasted 10 years; we were each other's confidante and were like "sisters", and continued to thrive even after my family and I moved back to NY permanently.  She and her family were also "native NYers" and we shared that common ground.  However, two years ago I had to END our friendship because she was "sabotaging" my family; creating much friction between my brother, his daughter and myself to the point where the three of us were "incommunicado" for nearly two years!  The story is rather long so I'll spare the gory details; suffice it to say that my niece was involved with a member of my former friend's family which was the cause of these ensuing problems.  I ultimately had to make a choice to "keep the peace" with MY family and by doing so sacrifice the friendship (as they say, "Blood is thicker than water").  I really do miss my friend and our two-hour phone conversations, bi-annual visits to each others' homes, etc. but the relationship was truly TOXIC!

OXO
Lucy B.

September 18, 2007, 3:26 pm CDT

Nothing New

I believe that some people are just jealous of other people and they enjoy "bullying"  After view the previews for 9/19/07 shows, the old saying is true ,Misery Loves Company and those people look like miserable individuals.  Sounds like our neighborhood in Celina, Texas.  A lot of relatives live on our street and they all stick together -- most also are employed by the public school system -- which my husband was at one time the Superintendent of School's for the Celina Indpendent School System.  I truely believe you must look at the under lying motives of the individuals to obtain a true picture of the situation.  It is not as BLACK &WHITE or CUT & DRY as it may seem.  Many people lashout to protect their livelyhoods or in fear that change will occur, or you might have more experience in life... etc.  As a former patient of a outstanding"Shrink" M.D. (Dr. Larry Tripp, Dallas, Texas) I often tell my husband that our community is in desperate need of a Good Shrink because they are insane!  Just small town sturff really not important in the whole scheme of LIFE!  Just trying to raise my 13 year old daughter to become an independent woman who can stand on her own two feet in this crazy mixed up world.

September 19, 2007, 1:16 am CDT

8 million stories:

There are so many stories about nieghbors. I always wondered if there is such a thing as a nice nieghbor.

Perhaps there still is hope.

Move away from these creeps. Move to Oregon! Find a spot with some acreage surrounding your house so that you can have some privacy. 

You won't have any neighbors at all in my town (off Highway 101). Most just visit in the summer and then leave when school starts.

I feel so bad for those whom have to live in close proximity to such jokers.  I will pray for you tonight.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last