Message Boards

Topic : 12/24 Nasty Neighbors

Number of Replies: 226
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 14, 2007, 03:46:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/19/07) Are you the kind of neighbor who loans a cup of sugar and always waves hello, or do you keep to yourself and call the cops the minute you hear loud music? Dr. Phil talks to guests who say they definitely don’t live in Mr. Roger’s neighborhood! Kerry says her next-door neighbor, Kevin, has been stalking and threatening her for four years. She says he vandalized her home and even tried to run her over, all because she refused to go on a date with him. Kevin denies Kerry’s allegations and says she threw eggs and dog feces at his house, shot a BB gun through his bathroom window and called his job making death threats. You won’t believe what he caught on videotape! And, Kerry’s other neighbors say she’s been terrorizing them for over 12 years. Fearing retaliation, they join Dr. Phil via satellite. Then, Misty says her neighbors, Donna and Larry, have a faulty, smelly septic tank that floods her property. Donna and Larry say the problem is not the water from their tank, but Misty’s uneven driveway. Who’s responsible for the dirty water in Misty’s driveway, and will their relationship stay afloat? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 19, 2007, 10:44 am CDT

"Animal House"

Quote From: ceildh1

I lived in a subdivision ONCE and ONLY ONCE, and I have concluded that neighbours are generally too much trouble.

We've lived next door to something that can only be described as a scene from "Animal House " the mounties were there every weekend.  Since we were renting, we did not have a dog at the time, but we still had to pick up doggie doo because the neighbours dogs weren't very good at knowing where the property lines were, and the party house next door had two babies in it, and their mother didn't think diapers should be kept tied up (no kidding, both my kids were trained at the time and I was still picking up diirty diapers ) was social services called , yup and what a joke, "she's only nineteen, and the babies are only eleven months apart ", give me a break, stressful, sure, but if your old enough to make them, then you'd better grow up and raise them. Off the soapbox now.

Then there was the woman up the street who would sit in her window and give the neighborhood kids the finger, a grown woman ! Anyway, she did this to a group of twelve to fourteen year old boys, okay what do you think she got right back ? She called the police on these boys, her and her husband would have knock down drag out fights in their backyards, that is when she wasn't harassing the other women on the street when she couldn't find him, if their husbands worked nights, or if the woman was single, she would force her way into the house insisting her husband was there ( trust me when I say we women weren't lining up for him ).

Then there was the other one who insisted his boxer/pitbull mix didn't need to be kept behind his fence, I have nothing against any breed of dog, I 'll make that clear, but this dog was a nasty piece of work, we became public enemy number one the night it almost attacked my son for having the NERVE to go out to the van to get something, my husband was going to kill it himself.

Now my nearest neighbours are an elderly couple, we can see the house, but there is quite a bit of space there.  It is so quiet, I revel in it.  I've come off as being a snob, but there's not enough time or space here to tell everything, suffice to say I like keeping to myself.

This story is DEFINITELY "Bush League" compared to what happened on the show, but it's worth sharing.

Our next-door neighbors are 4 male college students (Mommy & Daddy apparently bought the place for Junior to live in while he attends school & he shares w/3 buddies). Although we haven't always liked the parties that could get a tad loud (I can't count the party they threw that was REALLY loud enough for our other neighbors to call the cops, as it occurred while we were on vacation), or the fact that they only cut their grass about 4 times a year, or the backyard skate ramp (that they worked and played on at ALL HOURS), things were more-or-less amicable -- until recently. The darlings threw a shindig on a Friday night, as was obvious on the Saturday morning when the beer bottles were in the gutters and the cars were still parked all up & down the street, including trash in our gutter and a car blocking our driveway. Hubs tried several times to get them to move it (knocking at 9 and 11 AM, no answer, talking  at 11:30 to one of the GFs, who said it would be taken care of and no action, knocking AGAIN at 12:30, talking to the "man" of the house, STILL no movement), but by 12:45 PM, we had had ENOUGH. It took a call to the cops to get the issue resolved, unfortunately.

Needless to say, if our driveway is blocked again "the morning after," we're going straight to calling the cops, since that's what it seems to take to get them to act.

BTW, in some neighborhoods in college towns, it's "Animal House" upon "Animal House", relieved only by the relatively few single-family homeowners who have decided to tough it out. So, we're pretty lucky in this subdivision.

September 19, 2007, 10:57 am CDT

09/19 Nasty Neighbors

Quote From: ceildh1

I lived in a subdivision ONCE and ONLY ONCE, and I have concluded that neighbours are generally too much trouble.

We've lived next door to something that can only be described as a scene from "Animal House " the mounties were there every weekend.  Since we were renting, we did not have a dog at the time, but we still had to pick up doggie doo because the neighbours dogs weren't very good at knowing where the property lines were, and the party house next door had two babies in it, and their mother didn't think diapers should be kept tied up (no kidding, both my kids were trained at the time and I was still picking up diirty diapers ) was social services called , yup and what a joke, "she's only nineteen, and the babies are only eleven months apart ", give me a break, stressful, sure, but if your old enough to make them, then you'd better grow up and raise them. Off the soapbox now.

Then there was the woman up the street who would sit in her window and give the neighborhood kids the finger, a grown woman ! Anyway, she did this to a group of twelve to fourteen year old boys, okay what do you think she got right back ? She called the police on these boys, her and her husband would have knock down drag out fights in their backyards, that is when she wasn't harassing the other women on the street when she couldn't find him, if their husbands worked nights, or if the woman was single, she would force her way into the house insisting her husband was there ( trust me when I say we women weren't lining up for him ).

Then there was the other one who insisted his boxer/pitbull mix didn't need to be kept behind his fence, I have nothing against any breed of dog, I 'll make that clear, but this dog was a nasty piece of work, we became public enemy number one the night it almost attacked my son for having the NERVE to go out to the van to get something, my husband was going to kill it himself.

Now my nearest neighbours are an elderly couple, we can see the house, but there is quite a bit of space there.  It is so quiet, I revel in it.  I've come off as being a snob, but there's not enough time or space here to tell everything, suffice to say I like keeping to myself.

When we had a fire that destroyed our house, all my TROUBLESOME neighbors rallied around and helped us. Sometimes you find the worst neighbor staring back at you from the mirror.

September 19, 2007, 11:29 am CDT

nasty neighbors

are these idiots going to feel any remorse when someone dies or is seriously injured because the police don't arrive in time.. because they are tied up dealing with these people's petty, vendictive, bull? is that what it will take for these people to see beyond their own selfish lives?

September 19, 2007, 11:32 am CDT

I have my own neighbor from hell

I live in a not so small Midwest town and my neighbor is a convicted sex offender who has a brother who is also a convicted sex offender. He lives with a blind woman who is a widow, my dad lives next door to them and I live behind them (when my mom was alive she used to help this woman take her to appointments and the store and such.) She is a nice lady, however he is twice convicted the second time it was with her niece. The fact that he is a convicted sex offender is not the actual problem its a symptom of the problem, their back yard looks like a playground, her grandchildren come over and he actually plays with them, and if that creep factor isn't high enough for you this couple walks everywhere and many times past elementary school kids waiting in the early morning for their school bus. We have a wooded area that is directly behind the housing edition with a park directly behind that. I work midnights and often see them in the early morning walking by the bus stop. a few time the brothers together with the woman.  And three separate occasions saw the men together walking past them, twice  the man by himself smiling and speaking to the kids.  I have warned the neighbors however the kids still remain outside at the bus stop with no one attending to them. I wrote a letter to the editor of my local paper and informed the police about this behavior. I may seem like a busy body but my nieces play in the yard next to this man, all it would take is one time of not looking and God only knows what could happen. I do not invade his privacy and tape him with a video recorder or harass him in any way. I did stop him one day and let's just say he is aware that if he parts a hair of any child in this neighborhood he will be "dealt with" accordingly.

As for Kary MOVE LADY to an area in the country where you have no neighbors that way you have no one to get along with but yourself. Even then you will probably not be happy, and I would suggest "professional" just might be able to help you, maybe. (probably not) 

September 19, 2007, 11:37 am CDT

09/19 Nasty Neighbors

We have pretty good neighbors for the most part, our houses around here are VERY close together, and we share a driveway with our one neighbor but it's never been an issue. If we need to use more of the driveway because we're having company or something, we just let him know, and vice versa. Parking is at a premium in this area, most people don't have driveways so nearly everyone has to park on the street and you wouldn't believe the arguments that causes!!! As I mentioned, we share a driveway, and my husband parks his car on our side of the driveway, and I park our minivan in the street in front of our house most of the time. We don't usually have a parking problem but there are some people around here who have called the police over parking!!! I'm sorry, it's a public street, anyone can park there. If you want to have more room, you should have bought a house with a driveway. The one old guy that lives across from us has a driveway with a garage, but he won't allow anyone to use his driveway because he's afraid of them dripping oil on it. He'll park his one car inside the garage, and the other car on the street!!! Whenever they have company, you can forget finding a place to park on the street, because there are cars everywhere, but not in his precious driveway!!! Yeah, when he dies he'll take that driveway with him!!

There's a couple that lives 2 houses down from us who have a police scanner and they listen to it all day long so they can find out everyone's business. The husband will stand on the porch and smoke when he's not listening to the scanner and listen to everyone's conversations in the neighborhood. He always knows everyone's business. If you have that much time on your hands, then you need to get a life!! I don't think anyone should be allowed to own a police scanner unless they are actually a police officer, or a firefighter, or a paramedic. It's morbid to sit around and wait to hear if someone has been in an accident or not!! Sorry, I went off on a rabbit trail there,but nosey people just bug me!!

September 19, 2007, 12:40 pm CDT

nothing to do!!

is do good to live in harmony!!!

September 19, 2007, 1:05 pm CDT

Nasty Neighbour

Yes I have one of those too. But I ignore him 100%, and I don't even give him eye contact. I am not going to feed his fire. No one else around here likes him either. I  found out he has a huge record and jail is his second home. So I just sit back watch the jerk hang himself. As that is what usually happens. Sad really for his sake. As he sure isn't happy with himself to have to act this way. I plan on moving in the near future, one reason is from him but are other reasons too.

September 19, 2007, 1:07 pm CDT

This sounds all too common!!!

As I was watching this show, all that I could think of is just how much all of this sounds like my current situation!  My boyfriend and I live in a quiet neighborhood where everyone knows eachother and most of the families have lived their for the majority of their lives.  My boyfriend actually grew up in the house that he now owns, he purchased it from his parents when they moved to Florida some years back.  The neighbor directly accross the street has been a problem ever since his parents moved away and he took ownership of the property.
    The house is a duplex, and my boyfriend owns both sides.  He rents the other side out to a childhood friend and we live on the other side.  Ever since I have started dating my boyfriend (now over two years) I can recall the neighbors constantly harrassing us.  The first time I was ever over the house the cops were called because the naighbor felt there were too many cars in the driveway!  The cops came and left soon after realizing that we were doing nothing wrong.  It has continued for two years and here are just a few of the occurances of harrasment:
    * The cops were called when a car drove up on her lawn and we were blamed.  When we arrived home, there was a state trooper in our driveway questioning where we were all night.  Once the trooper realized we had nothing to do with it, he left.  The next day while we were doing yard work, she walked accross the road accusing us of ruining her lawn.  We told he again and again that it was not us and even offered to go over with our shovel and fix the damage just to make her be quiet!  She then started saying things like "why are you going to fix it if you didn't do it?" and things of that nature.  This apparently was the beginning of a two year long battle.
    *The people who live in the other side of our duplex were moving and the large moving truck backed onto part of her lawn and the cops were called immediately.  When the cops came they saw that it was on a foot of their property and assured the neighbor that the first few feet from the road are owned by the state anyway and she had no valid argument.
    *The cops were called when she said we tried to run her husband over.
    *The cops were called when vehicles parked the wrong way on the road.
    *The cops were called one day at 4:00 in the afternoon while we were having a barbeque and she stated we were having a huge party.
    *The cops were called for a complaint of "excessive swearing".
    *The Town was called with complaints of too many vehicles on the property, unregistered dogs, too much garbage and too many people living in each of the houses in the duplex.
    *She trespassed onto our property when she thought we were at work to take pictures, and when we called the police on her, she denied every ounce of it.
    *She installed cameras and calls the police to show them what we do, like sit on the landing in front of our house in the early evening. (Last I checked you were allowed to sit outside of where you live and talk with friends)
    *One day when I was baking cupcakes (baking, a pretty quiet task) by myself, no one home on either side of the house, a state trooper approached the house revealing he had received a noise complaint to our address.  I was home by myself!!!  The trooper laughed and drove away.
    *Her husband has provoked a verbal argument and recorded the things that were said to them but none of the things that they have said back at us.

In EVERY one of these complaints and every single time the police have came to our door, nothing has happened.  No one has been arrested, no written complaints, nothing other than the cops laughing at the fact that out neighbor has it out for us.  It has gotten to the point where I think my boyfriend, as owner of the house, should sue her for harrassment.  We can't have people over on Sunday's to watch football without the cops showing up to respond to some sort of complaint.  There are four other houses around us and not one of the other houses has ever made a complaint.   I am to the point where I feel something needs to be done to get her to stop.  It has gotten to the point where it is harrassment.  I am not saying that we have in no way added fuel to this fire, because we most definietly have.  But at this point, when the cops have taken no legal action, I think all of this should just stop.  Any suggestions as o what we should do???

September 19, 2007, 1:11 pm CDT

Kerry needs psych help

I'm very surprised that Dr. Phil didn't suggest some follow up care for Kerry.

Although I have no doubt that the neighbors are exacerbating the problem, Kerry has gone so far overboard with both lawsuits and behaviour that it's clear she needs help.

I can't imagine how hard it would be to live next to her. I live in a semi-detached home and our neighbor's son is 17 and a drummer. Luckily, I've known him since he was 2 and take a bit of "motherly" pride in how well he's learning to play and I know that if I voiced a problem to his parents, it would be resolved. My own son now plays guitar so between the two of them (if we could get them playing in synch) it's a concert every day.

In Misty's case, it looks as though she went around her neighbors to complain instead of going to them. If she did go to them and got no results, then the people with the septic tank problem were at fault but they seem like they'll be able to put it behind them. I think both parties will be a little bit embarrassed when they watch the show and there will be improvement in their relationship.

I don't think that will be the case with Kerry. I believe she will continue to harass everyone on her street and will continue to blame them for her actions. I really fear for the future of her neighbors because I don't think it's coincedence that they all were afraid to come forward because of retribution. If I were them, I would place motion activated cameras and lights on each property to record her actions so they can take legal action when necessary. I wish them all the best.

September 19, 2007, 1:15 pm CDT

Ahhh, the neighbors!

After viewing this "nasty neighbors" show, I am thankful for the neighbors I have. No problems, very kind, well, neighborly!

Kerry and Misty have too much time on their hands! Maybe if they would concentrate on their own families and not their neighbors all would have better lives. Kerry needs to seek mental help and anger management. Misty is one who seeks to cause problems, she enjoys the conflict, likes keeping things stirred up, she said so herself, and she likes to gossip, you get what you reap, one of these days, like Dr. Phil said, someone is gonna get hurt. There is only so much one can take, boiling points will be hit and bam, someone will be no longer on this world.

Kerry is just a trouble maker, nasty, filthy mouth, its disgusting. I believe her neighbors! Her own actions on the show proved it.

In the long run, this will all come back to bite both Kerry and Misty in the butt, when the get to their maker, they will have to atone for all their actions.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last