Message Boards

Topic : 03/26 "Change My Face, Change My Race"

Number of Replies: 337
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 14, 2007, 03:47:34 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/20/07) Most everyone has thought about removing imperfections -- a nip here, a tuck there. But some people want plastic surgery to erase their ethnic identity! First up is James. He says he doesn’t want to change anything about himself because Asians are intellectually superior, and women should obey men. His wife, Roseanna, says he’s a controlling racist who demeans women, and she says she needs help before he corrupts their 11-year-old son. James says he’s ready to serve Roseanna her walking papers if she doesn’t become more obedient. Is James a controlling bigot or simply misunderstood? Then, Dr. Phil explores the pros and cons of eyelid surgery -- one of the most common cosmetic procedures for Asian women … and one of the most controversial! He talks to a woman who had a fold added to her upper eyelid, a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures and two guests who believe the surgery erases Asian heritage. Plus, Brad says he hates his nose, and he wants plastic surgery to look less Italian. His mother, Debbie, says she loves the way he looks -- big schnoz and all! Brad’s surgery is only a month away. Can Debbie convince him he's perfect just the way he is before he goes under the knife? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 28, 2008, 4:52 am CDT

03/26 "Change My Face, Change My Race"

Quote From: mkgodspeed

How can I reach Dr. Peter Newen?
He's in Huntington Beach, CA. For a fee, you can check him out online.

March 28, 2008, 8:08 am CDT

Quote From: bradboiny

"Change your mental state go seek professonal help and if you can't find it there go seek God. "  Wow, thats quite a rash statement to make isn't it?  You must be perfect to give such advice.  Well, this is Brad, who is on the show from which u so rudely comment about and I feel you have misunderstood the point.  Though the title of the show may be harsh, I am VERY proud of my heritage.  I LOVE being an Italian and would NEVER change that.  However, I was born with a very large nose and because of the size, it has been broken several times and looks like a pretzel from some angles.  Do you feel I should have to live like this? Being teased for having a huge twisted nose? If so, wow, u r a great person...thanks so much!  I'm glad u care so little about people.  God would be proud of u right? Personally, I feel that if I will feel better about myself, than I can do what I please.  You are definately entitled to ur own opinion, but please, before telling me to seek professional help or God, examine urself first.
Dear Brad,

I think everyone missed the whole point. You are not trying to change your ethnicity, you want to change some physical feature that you are not happy with. If your nose doesn't define who you are, as so many people are shouting, then what difference does it make if you change it? I think it's very selfish of your relatives to give you so much grief about it. If they had stepped up and protected you from excessive teasing, then they might have something to say now. Didn't say it then, then don't say it now. Good luck on your surgery and do what you want. Take care,

CR

April 2, 2008, 11:17 am CDT

James

James is ignorant, that is all there is to it.  He is confused and can't even find words to explain himself.  He is an embarassment to his race and he should not have the priviledge to reside in the United States with his degrading opinions.  Maybe he should just move back Asia to live with his own "intelligent" race!

July 6, 2008, 11:48 am CDT

Race issue

I am a Hispanic female who has dated a caucasian male for more than 10 years. His parents totally disagree of our relationship. They have given him the ultimatum plenty of times to choose either them or me. He's still around. I know he loves me and loves his family. And he doesn't feel like he should have to choose. His parents are constantly on him about us. They tell him that we come from different backgrounds and that our relationship would never work out. I have been frustrated for the last couple of years with this issue. I love him but I think its time he sticks up for me and not let them treat me like this. The reason I am writing this message is because about 5 or 6 years ago I used to wish that I was caucasian just so his parents would accept me. I look back at my thoughts I am disgusted that that thought ever crossed my mind. I am proud to be a Hispanic female and wouldn't change it for anything. I am in awe to see how this society is these days. Be happy with who you are! We are all different and unique!

July 15, 2008, 4:08 am CDT

Quote From: marianparoo

I have an Orthodox Jewish coworker (I'm Jewish myself, but secular), who's even more Orthodox daughter had a nose job - in Israel yet!

My snoz is pretty ethnic but I never dreamed of having it done - and here this very religious girl who considers me "not Jewish enough"  and uses the term "chosen people" daily, but isn't satisfied with the "chosen nose" that goes with it.

LOL!

I think she's in need of a psychologist instead.

"chosen people"?? geeez what a scary person!

October 20, 2008, 9:45 am CDT

my point of view

i just saw the show and i would like to mail something to Brad.

Brad, i think your nose is really cute and i found it sexy. I think that real man should have a real nose.

If you are worry about what the people may think about your look, please dont be, because you are making yourself crazy. there will alwasy be a group of people who would not like it and a group who don't mind it.... those, who judge you about your look and dont want to know you form inside are FULL!

Unfortunately we are so surrenderd by media that we think that we have to look perfect to be perfect...

i just hope that Brad will be happy and realises that it really doesnt metter what 's on the outside.

May 26, 2009, 2:16 pm CDT

obviously too late....

I just saw the show and I could relate more to Brad.  My family is also italian and I inherited the nose.  I never liked it, even to a point in which I hated to have photos taken.  There's a long time of my life from which I have no "evidence".  Every time I hinted to my family that I wanted a nose job, eveyone had a strong opinion for not doing it.  During some sport practice I had some injuries on my nose that I never fixed, so later in life I had trouble breathing through my nose, and snored almost all night. 
Finally, at the age of 32 I got the courage and did it.  I stoped listening to what people said by stop asking them.  I got my septum fixed and a nose that matches my face.
When I talked to the doctor I explained that I didn't want a super cute nose, I only wanted one that would match the rest of me, and that he did.  It's perfect!!! and I can breathe easily now.
Wanting to make this change is not forsaking our heritage or race, is just finding the way to match ourselves to our faces. 
You don't need a big nose to feel proud of being italian.  I know many italian people with regular noses and they are still Italian.... that has nothing to do with it. 
Not having the surgery before affected my personality al throughout my adolescence and as a young adult.   Once I did it I was able to recognize myselft better, and feel more confident. 
I am sure that there's lot of people who don't get this, people who think that you can be confident without caring on your appearence... Well, there are some people who can, and some other who can't. 
I am so happy I took the decision, and after everyone saw my new nose, they all agreed that it was a change for the better, and that my face didn't change, but that I looked a lot happier!!!
Hope you are OK Brad!!!

First | Prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | Next Page | Last Page