Message Boards

Topic : 03/26 "Change My Face, Change My Race"

Number of Replies: 337
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 14, 2007, 03:47:34 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/20/07) Most everyone has thought about removing imperfections -- a nip here, a tuck there. But some people want plastic surgery to erase their ethnic identity! First up is James. He says he doesn’t want to change anything about himself because Asians are intellectually superior, and women should obey men. His wife, Roseanna, says he’s a controlling racist who demeans women, and she says she needs help before he corrupts their 11-year-old son. James says he’s ready to serve Roseanna her walking papers if she doesn’t become more obedient. Is James a controlling bigot or simply misunderstood? Then, Dr. Phil explores the pros and cons of eyelid surgery -- one of the most common cosmetic procedures for Asian women … and one of the most controversial! He talks to a woman who had a fold added to her upper eyelid, a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures and two guests who believe the surgery erases Asian heritage. Plus, Brad says he hates his nose, and he wants plastic surgery to look less Italian. His mother, Debbie, says she loves the way he looks -- big schnoz and all! Brad’s surgery is only a month away. Can Debbie convince him he's perfect just the way he is before he goes under the knife? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 20, 2007, 12:52 pm CDT

who cares

of all the great things italtians have done, you are focusing on appearance?

September 20, 2007, 12:53 pm CDT

09/20 "Change My Face, Change My Race"

Dr. Phil, tell brad he does not need a nose job !!! he is a very handsome man,!!!

tell him he is crazy if the thinks he is not.

Nose is personality !

September 20, 2007, 12:54 pm CDT

This is for Brad

Quote From: bradboiny

To answer ur question, I have not yet been to Italy, but plan to go this year or next.  Also, yes, I know very much about my heritage, and yes I LOVE being an Italian.  I think the harsh show title makes it seem otherwise, but I love my heritage and family.  Just want to clear that up to everyone, I'm proud of who I am, I just don't like my big crooked nose!
Please keep your nose. I am part ITalian/polish/slovish. i have my polish grandmas nose. and i look exactly like my slovish grandma. we could be twins. your gorgous, i wouldnt change your face for nothing. Look at who you are inside instead. thats what ive been doing and i wouldnt change my polish nose for anybody. people will like you for you you are, and remember this: your beautiful from the inside. The outside is just the package. i think if you seen my  nose, youd keep yours!!!! i think you look fine to me.

September 20, 2007, 12:57 pm CDT

dont do it brad

as i am watching the show(as i am typing this), i am watching brad(the italian who thinks his nose is too big), but its not the case....i am also italian, i have always hated my nose too, but i would never EVE change it cuz i was made this way and i am not suppose to change me. even dispite my own husband making 'fun' when i woudl complain about it, i still wont do anything to change it. i dont think brad should either. but thats just me, everyone does what they need to do. i just think that if i change my face, i change everything about my heritage and i am poud to be me!

September 20, 2007, 12:58 pm CDT

nose job

I think it's great that the young man on today's show is going to have the surgery.  Glad Dr. Phil set his mom and her friend straight on this.  He seems like a sweet guy, and I hope this will make him feel better about himself. 

September 20, 2007, 12:58 pm CDT

Not to Worry

Never fear...  race will NOT be changed!  Wait till your first baby
is born - will go right back to 'what it was.'

September 20, 2007, 12:59 pm CDT

The Problem with changing

What most concerns me in this world of constantly changing one's image is the fact that while we can change our physical appearance we can't alter our genetic material. Will you tell your potential mate or share your true appearance? What happens when there's a baby that has the feature you took away? I often wonder how that will play out. Also there is that sense of dishonesty, portraying yourself in a false light. Perhaps there's a story in that.

I also wonder if these people who change what they don't like in themselves would do it to their own children? It's really important to think about all these issues before engaging in altering your appearance. That being said if it is truly a medical issue,I have no problem with surgey.

September 20, 2007, 1:02 pm CDT

Blame it on the west

I get so tired of other races and their issues being blamed on the west.  Most of us white caucasion men/women are just trying to live out lives as best we can and are not always thinking about other races, but that seems to be where the problem lies - we MUST always constrantly be thinking about other races or allah or mohammad or something - why can't caucasions be proud of who we are instead of always having to almost be ashamed of our "whiteness" because other races have a hard time with us.

I personally get tired of hearing it - where does all this come from? 

September 20, 2007, 1:02 pm CDT

Go for it

People rush to judge having surgury to improve looks. Its just available now. Way back in the day putting on makeup and showing your legs was a no no!!! Fianally there is a way to improve the way we loook when your not born with the best pick from the gene pool. These People have endeared years of torment and emotional torture as it is. Its not erasing there heritage at all. They are not going from black to white..........Dont tell me the italian boy's mother doesnt wear makeup to cover up bags under her eyes- yes dark circles are an Italian thing too!!!!  Women get perms for straight hair, men cover up gray hair, women color their hair. Face it. We all want to look good and are judged by looking good- sad but true. If it helps your self esteem- do it and dont listen to anybody else. His mom should be ashamed and encourage him if thats what he wants.

September 20, 2007, 1:03 pm CDT

Brad & his nose

Dear Brad,

There is a saying, "A face only a mother could love." I always hated that saying...because everyone was always saying it to me.

My mother...she would talk about how she couldn't wait until I was old enough to have a nose job and my eyelids redone.

Bottom line: When I was old enough to have the surgery...I thought about one day I will have a son or daughter who will have my eyes & nose and be sad or ashamed of how they look. When I look into their little face and I see the child I love and how beautiful or handsome they are to me...how would I build their self esteem? How would I teach them to love themselves? When they look at my face and it doesn't look anything like theirs because I surgically erased their eyes and nose from my own face long before they were born? So I chose not to have the surgery.

All these years later, I have a 4yr old son. We look in the mirror together and giggle as we map out which parts of his face look like mommy and which look like daddy. I try every day to remind him that what's most important is what he thinks of himself not what others think or say.

I understand wanting to look handsome to get a girl to date you...but if she wouldn't date you for how you look now...what would she do when she gives birth to a son or daughter that looks like you before surgery?

You deserve to be with a woman who loves your natural presurgery face. A woman who loves you in spite of yourself is a gift you give yourself. A woman who loves you for your ability to photo copy society onto your face is as flimsy and phoney as a photo copy.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last