Message Boards

Topic : 09/21 Does Age Matter?

Number of Replies: 733
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 14, 2007, 03:48:41 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Can May-December romances really last? Christopher Knight, famous for his role as Peter on The Brady Bunch, and Adrianne Curry, winner on America's Next Top Model, began their relationship when they starred together on the reality show The Surreal Life 4, and the public watched as they planned their wedding on their own show, My Fair Brady. Now they both say their 24-year age difference is a huge problem in their chaotic marriage. Adrianne says Christopher treats her like an employee, and Christopher says if she worked for him, she would’ve been fired a long time ago. Can these two work out their generational differences? Then, 38-year-old Shelly wants to know if it’s wrong to be in a relationship with an 18-year-old friend of her son. She says he makes her feel beautiful but wonders if she’s causing him or her children harm. Dr. Phil doesn’t mince words when he tells her his opinion. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 15, 2007, 1:18 pm CDT

age doesn't matter

I am 8 years older than my husband. While it does leave room for debates regarding my life experience over his (no matter how little it may be), we are quite happy after 5 years of marriage, and we have unfortunately lived much of that apart due to his military career. I must say, it takes a special person to be a military spouse, but age should NEVER figure into the equation. I don't think it matters what the difference is or who is older. Each person brings their own experiences and baggage to each relationship, and the challenge is being mature enough to handle it all eloquently.

September 15, 2007, 2:03 pm CDT

The age-difference dilemma.

First , I have already seen some of the Christopher Knight,wife, saga. I would wager that they are on the show to get publicity for themselves. They have been going rounds for a while and seem to enjoy it from the way I have seen them portrayed in the past on t.v. The 38 year old woman and the 18 year old young man? Fugettaboutit! Lord have mercy, an 18 year old boy is too young for a serious relationship with an 18 year old girl! I just can't understand why someone 38 would want to get involved with a man of that age. I can't believe it could work out. Isn't the idea of having a relationship with some one, that you have things in common,goals in life, etc... ? It seems to me that thier outlooks on life would be so different as to clash. A woman can reach her sexual peak at around 40. Could this be her main attraction to him?

September 15, 2007, 3:56 pm CDT

May-December Romances

Dr. Phil,

I, too, was hesitant to marry a man 7 years my junior.  When he proposed, I told him that I couldn't marry him due to our age difference.  He asked, "So, how exactly old are you?"  My reply was, "Seven years your senior."  "Great," he said, "statistics prove that women outlive men by 7 years; ergo, we'll die at the same time!"  That sealed the deal, and 16 and one half years later, I have absolutely no regrets.  Oh, I don't want to look like I am his mother, but living with a younger man has pushed me to new heights and challenges.  He's energetic, sex is great, and he makes me feel good about myself.  Part of it is his character.  He is genuine, honest, and real.  Plus he's very psychologically sound.  I am blessed ot be married to a man who loves me, not for  my age, but for my spirit.  I encourage my baby boomer friends who continually lament about "no good men" to explore the younger set.  There is a wonderful book called "Loving Younger Men" which deals with this phenomenan.  I encourage you to relate this to your readers.

I enjoy your show.  Keep up the good work!

Beth Antal

September 15, 2007, 4:07 pm CDT

Does Age Matter?

I am with a man that is 10 years older than I am. First of all we don't look at our age difference. Our age difference does not matter to us. First of all we are happy and in love and that is all that matters at least to us. Our age difference may bother others but they have to deal with that not us.

As long as the two people who are in the relationship are happy that is all that matters. Age is just a number not a feeling. As the old saying goes you can't help who you fall in love with. And that is true. I am happy and in love with my man. And that is all that matters.

As long as both of you are happy that is all that matters.

September 15, 2007, 4:12 pm CDT

Age may be more than a number

I watched the Surreal Life Season 4, and saw the train-wreck of a relationship between Adrienne & Chris Knight unfold in front of my television set.

It was more like, if you have a woman who is constantly seducing you, pressuring you to marry her...is it difficult to say no?

I believe so.  Adrienne is in need of serious life choices...no home training (I also watched ANTM)...crude, and immature.

While Chris is not completely without fault...what ever happened to pre-marriage counseling? To make sure that you're right for one another?  And what happened to courting? Or an "Engagement period"?  I've been engaged for 2 years, and wouldn't DREAM about walking down the aisle until I am 100% sure that it will be right.

September 15, 2007, 4:39 pm CDT

scams

i know this has not anything to do with this weeks topics,but i know your show is watched by a lot of people,i just brought three books from keven trudeau weight loss cure,and two others by him,natural cures,then i find out he is a fraud (guess i should have checked him out like i usally do) any way its to late now for me, but maybe you could warn others of him,so they dont get taken in by him.the weight loss plan is crazy lol

September 15, 2007, 4:50 pm CDT

he's 22 She's 51

Looks like my son has them all beat. He is 22 and his 'girlfriend' is 51. Two years younger then me. She has a 15 yr old daughter.

He says they love each other.  He has a drinking problem and is back in prison for breaking parole. They had yet one more drunken fight and  he was out kicking over newspaper boxes. Was charged with criminal mischief, less then $100 damage. But enough to send him back. 

This woman has left more then one drunken, middle of the night, message about what a rotten mother I was and am. And now since he is in prison he would like me to accept and be friendly with her.  Is he kidding.?  No, he is not.  Has even said he hopes I don't make him chose between her and me.   I can't do that. As much as I think it is a bad mistake, he is an adult, and it is his life. But there is no way I am going to befriend this 'woman'.

September 15, 2007, 5:00 pm CDT

Does age matter? You bet your bippy!

Hi, Dr Phil, 

My husband (age 74) and I (62) married 15 years ago. We have been happily married MOST of the time, but hey! Guess what? We are married and life intervenes in my idyllic world! On occasion I find myself getting upset because he doesn't hear as well as I do (is that a gender thing?) or because he runs out of steam faster than I do, but then I think to myself, "Are you all so perfect?"

Younger women who may want a family of their own need to be mindful that if they are thinking about a marriage to an older man, it may not happen; for one reason or another, an older man's libido isn't always on fire. And, depending on the age gap, there can be a generation gap, too. You may love Stevie Wonder, but your husband may just Wonder who Stevie is!

As to the woman who is interested in the 18yr old, she should have her armor on; when he gets past the novelty of the older woman being interested in him, he will more than likely look for someone a lot younger....

September 15, 2007, 5:26 pm CDT

17 years yonger

My husband is 17 years older than I am. We are very happy together and we have two small children together. I love him and would not know what to do with out him. It does not matter about age. If you love each other and are happy then I say good for you! I have found the love of my life .

September 15, 2007, 5:33 pm CDT

18/38

Oh, for Heaven's sake, Woman, grow up!  What could you possible have in common with your baby's friend?  And what makes you think it will not matter to your kids?  Good grief, you are the reason we women get a bad rap!  Go find someone your own age!   CJF

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last