Message Boards

Topic : 09/21 Does Age Matter?

Number of Replies: 733
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 14, 2007, 03:48:41 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Can May-December romances really last? Christopher Knight, famous for his role as Peter on The Brady Bunch, and Adrianne Curry, winner on America's Next Top Model, began their relationship when they starred together on the reality show The Surreal Life 4, and the public watched as they planned their wedding on their own show, My Fair Brady. Now they both say their 24-year age difference is a huge problem in their chaotic marriage. Adrianne says Christopher treats her like an employee, and Christopher says if she worked for him, she would’ve been fired a long time ago. Can these two work out their generational differences? Then, 38-year-old Shelly wants to know if it’s wrong to be in a relationship with an 18-year-old friend of her son. She says he makes her feel beautiful but wonders if she’s causing him or her children harm. Dr. Phil doesn’t mince words when he tells her his opinion. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 17, 2007, 11:16 pm CDT

MY OTHER TRUE STORY

I had alot of fun one night with a 23 year old guy when I was about 56.

I went to a bar to sing Karaoke and he  was there with a bunch of young people from CA to

attend a dirt-bike tournament.  We shot pool and in the course of conversation I lied and said I was

27......and he did not bat an eye.  After a couple of games of pool this hottie asked me if I would

like to go out to my car and get it on.  Naturally, I was thrilled and said yes.  We did NOT have

sex, but we DID french kiss for at least 30 minutes and I asked him if he liked being with an

older "girl", to which he said "yes" very enthusiastically.  He wanted to see me again the next

day, but unfortunately, he & his group left to go back to CA immediately after the dirt-bike

tournament .    I told my daughter all about it the next day and she was shocked when I told

her his full name & what he looked like.  She knew I was telling the truth becuz she had

actually heard of this guy and knew I would not have known about him.....or his name......if I had

not really met him.  I remember I laughed & giggled like a teenager all the way back home that

exciting night......LOL.  I love dating much younger guys.....and I love their believing me when I

lie about my age.   Any woman who is against dating younger guys just hasn't had the thrill or

they would want to do it over & over again. 

September 18, 2007, 12:29 pm CDT

my parents

there was 15 years between my mom and dad yes they had there ups and downs but thats all normal in a marriage and was happy. so if you love some one no age does not matter

September 18, 2007, 3:37 pm CDT

age does matter

I think age does matter...I would never be with a man that was younger than me.  I know some men older than me are not "mature".  Trust me been there,  done that!!  I couldn't put up with immature men younger than me.  The deal with Peter and Adriane...they should have seen that coming.  My husband is only 5 years older than me but I also hear that phrase "you wouldn't work for me because you would be fired!"  She and I shouldn't have to hear stupidity come from our husbands.  Who cares that he says that...I'm here to be his wife not his worker.  The other couple should face it....it's not going to last!  Find someone closer to your age! 

September 18, 2007, 5:31 pm CDT

life lessons

Does age matter? when i was 17years and 6 months old, i was unloved, my childhood was one of neglect and abuse mental and physical and sexual molistation, my life was not very good. Then i met an older married woman, our relationship lasted for 4 years, age was not so much a problem but the married part was, to cut a long story short her intervention was in hindsight a gift, as i learnt and was taught i was worthwhile, then 17 years and 6 months later i met another woman who was 28, this time she was/is bit younger than me, we have now been together for 23 years, so does age matter? no not really but the truth of circumstances do.    

September 18, 2007, 11:55 pm CDT

ITS MY LIFE!

I am engaged to a younger man and we have known each other for over 2 years..my family and his family support us 100% I have seen some younger people who are way more mature then some of the older men I had dated in the past. Even younger people can experience things early..they to can have a past. What would it matter if someone dated a younger person IF they are happy and have the families support.

MANY women are dating younger men! I know because I know a site where there is TONS and some on my hometown. I am sick of the generalizing robotics of todays society. JUST because your older and dating someone older does not make you wiser or more mature...GROW UP PEOPLE!

September 19, 2007, 4:51 am CDT

my story

I'm 25 and my husband is 48. He's my best friend, and I couldn't imagine being with anybody else. We started seeing eachother 6 years ago, I met him at church.  We've been married almost 3 years now, have 1 child and one more due in a few weeks.  We're very happy together. At first we turned a few heads, but both our families are now very accepting of us, and like us.  And at church people don't think anything of it.  If you share the same values and really love each other, I don't see why age would matter.  People told me before we got married that I could be a widow at an early age. I'm an organist, and have played at funerals and I know that death comes like a thief, and you could go at any age. I believe that we are meant for each other and that God will help us through any trials or tribulations. And if strangers think we look odd, who cares what they think. We love each other and we have the support of our family and friends.

September 19, 2007, 6:05 am CDT

Basically he was ashamed of you.

Quote From: txchicky5

When I was 53 years old, a guy who was just 18 developed a very, very big crush on me that

lasted 2 and a half years.  When I noticed how ga-ga he was over me, I began to fall for him,

too.  I have to add that I had not one wrinkle and looked at least 15 yrs younger than my age,

so he thought I was much younger than I really was.  When he found out my true age, he

decided to break it off with me, but had somebody else tell me it was over becuz he knew

he could not face me and not want to still be with me.  We had HUGE chemistry between us

and surprisingly we liked the same type music and movies.  We actually had alot in common.

He was raised by his grandparents and was use to always being around older people, so I

guess it didn't bother him that much.  He gave me gifts and romantic cards.  After the breakup

he still kept his email box open for me to write him for like 4 years.  So, I think he is still sorry

that he had to break it off with me becuz he knows we were like soulmates.  He just could not

stand the criticism of his family and friends concerning us.  He is 25 now and finally married

someone 5 yrs younger than himself.  I don't know how that is working, but hopefully, he is

happy.

I am 53 and when I'm around 18 year old kids, I feel like thier mother. It's hard for me to understand how an older woman could persue a relationship with an 18 year old. I realize that we are all different and react differently to this type of situation. But, how can a woman that much older not feel like thier mother?

September 19, 2007, 2:55 pm CDT

Age DEFINITELY matters

There are differences between generations; and it does eventually work its way into any relationship if there is an age gap of more than 10 years.  For instance, I am 31.  I love the 80's, and if I were to date a 20 year old, he'd have no clue what the 80's even were.  I for one, personally disagree with it.  Another thing to consider too, is if you were to date someone old enough to be your parent; they are basically saying its ok to engage with a minor...because you were a minor most of their life, and its no different than saying children are 'sexy'.  If you can date your parent's friend, or they can date their child's friend...whats the difference? 

Remember too, that if you are the younger one, and you're dating someone older...they will hit retirement faster than you, maybe die faster than you..and you still have a whole lot of life to live while they are done.

September 19, 2007, 5:40 pm CDT

christopher knight and adrian curry

I watched chris in both his reality shows because I'm so in love with him.  Adrain is a brat and she is immature.  But the age doesn't matter its  having a mutual respect and understanding of each others boundries..If they can't do that,they won't make it!

Chris ! I'm available!

September 19, 2007, 6:34 pm CDT

AGE DIFFERENCE

I AM MARRIED TO A MAN 10 YEARS YOUNGER. I'M 42 AND HE'S 32.

AT FIRST I DID NOT NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE CAUSE WE WERE SINGLE, IN LOVE AND HAD NO KIDS...NOW 8 YEARS LATER WITH TWO CHILDREN AND SOMETIMES THREE MY HUSBAND...I THINK TWO PEOPLE WITH A BIG DIFFERNCE IN AGE ARE NOT AT THE SAME LEVEL IN THEIR LIVES.  THEY DON'T SEE THINGS THE SAME WAY...EVEN THOUGH OTHER COUPLES HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS YOU ALWAYS TEND TO BLAME IT ON THE AGE.  RIGHT NOW THE 18 VS 38 SEEMS LIKE NOTHING SINCE THEIR HAVING A BLAST...I THINK THE WORST PART IS SHE'S DATING HER SON'S FRIEND...THAT A BIG NO NO !!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last