Message Boards

Topic : Being a Good Friend

Number of Replies: 515
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:18:38 am
Author : dataimport
What does it mean to be a good "friend"? Has  someone shown you the true meaning of friendship? Share your story here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 21, 2008, 8:03 pm CST

I NEED AGOOD FREIND

HI EVERY BODY,  I HAVE BEEN CHEATED BY 2 FREINDS BEFORE THEY WERE ACTING ON ME THAT THEY ARE HONEST AND LOVE ME BUT THEY WERE LIERS .........I REALY NEED AGOOD AND HONEST FREIND  MY E-MAIL IS:  dream_alone88@hotmail.com

January 22, 2008, 11:38 pm CST

coachjoeh

Quote From: coachjoeh

Recently my wife left me and took our kids and money. A friend of mine has helped me beyond what anyone would expect.  He helped me find a better job, he has filled my gas tank twice, he bought me $50 on a prepaid cell phone, bought me lunch, bought me household needs, gave me $90 cash, and he still wants to help with pet food, food for me, and wants to give me a cell phone on his family plan because prepaid costs too much.  Let me say I am very grateful to this man.  Without his help I'm not sure I would make it.  My dilemma is this; every time he does something for me, or talks with me on the phone, he invites me to church with him.  At this point, with all he's done for me, I almost feel obligated to go.  But, I'm agnostic. Second,  I was raised a Lutheran and he is Catholic.  I don't share the same beliefs he does.  If I went to his church, I would feel like a hypocrite and be very uncomfortable.  Do you think I should put my own beliefs aside because of what he's done for me?  I've always believed that you stand behind what you believe in.  I don't believe what he does. Should I make a compromise?

Hey coachjoeh,

I live in Hawaii, and when someone nice(like your friend) does anything nice for us, we will repay them back by doing something nice for them. It may not be the same thing that he did but we will do something.

And the situation about church, well its up to you, really. but its really not necessary. Maybe what hes trying to do is get you back into your faith. Could be reverse psychology?. Maybe you should go back to your Church and get back into your faith , hopefully things will change around. Then when you get back on your feet, repay your friend back slowly but surely. If you need to talk more email me at s_kimchoy@yahoo.com.

January 22, 2008, 11:41 pm CST

dream_alone

Quote From: rose88

HI EVERY BODY,  I HAVE BEEN CHEATED BY 2 FREINDS BEFORE THEY WERE ACTING ON ME THAT THEY ARE HONEST AND LOVE ME BUT THEY WERE LIERS .........I REALY NEED AGOOD AND HONEST FREIND  MY E-MAIL IS:  dream_alone88@hotmail.com

Hi, I'm brokeninside

Will it be okay if I email you sometime. I really could use people to talk to, too, My email is s_kimchoy@yahoo.com.

I live in Hawaii

Aloha

brokeninside

January 22, 2008, 11:45 pm CST

dream_alone

Quote From: rose88

Hi, I'm brokeninside

I would like to be your friend. Is that okay? I live in Hawaii, and I like to make friends. I have lots of friends here but I could use more. My email is s_kimchoy@yahoo.com. Email me sometime and I'll surely answer. Can't wait to hear from you.

Aloha

brokeninside 

January 22, 2008, 11:53 pm CST

Hi brandi

Quote From: brandi3275

Being a good friend to me means:
Trusting your friend... Being able to communicate effect with a good friend. Sharing emotions and thoughts about all kinds of subjects listening to eachother with respect. Repect goes along way in friendship. Being there for eachother emotionally lending a shoulder for support. I have found that good friends are hard to find. Some friends try to me someone that they are not. I want a friend to be confident in themselfves. Thanks.Brandi

Your so right! But when you do find that true friend, don't let them down.

I live in hawaii and I have really good friends. They make me laugh when i need to, they let me cry, they let me vent, and they help me when I need help. They are a dime a dozen kind of friends. One of my firends and I just helped my other friend through a really tough break-up and they just did the same for me this past few months. I can't tell you how much they mean to me. They are sisters that I wish were my own.

Aloha

brokeninside

January 23, 2008, 2:12 am CST

nobody wants me!!

why??

why??

why??

January 28, 2008, 1:02 am CST

what's wrong?

Quote From: junk_girl

why??

why??

why??

Why do you feel no body wants you? please explain.

I'm sure there are people that want you. You need to want yourself first. Tell us your story and we will try to help you understand why your feeling this way. Everybody has somebody they want. Don't be to hard on yourself. please give us more info so atleast I can try to help you.

Take care

Aloha

brokeninside

February 7, 2008, 7:57 am CST

PLEASE HELP

I have  a friend of  3 years  that I recently  found out  everything this person has  ever told me  are  lies .  and  I am  NOT referring to  LITTLE WHITE   LIES  NO ,  I  an  talking about something  that would of totally devestated   her  whole family ,  had this been  true . 

1st.  she told me  ,  HER  DAUGHTER  ,  4 year old  grand daughter , and 2 month old  baby grand daughter   were involved  in a  head on collision  in Mobile  , Alabama ,  which  she  also said  the only survivor was the 4 year old  .   THE  TRUTH  IS  :  the  2  month old  baby  grand daughter is  the only  one that DID NOT  survive  .

2nd,   She told me  she  was fighting her  2nd.  cnacer .  1st. was  ovaian  cancer  and  NOW  Stomach  cancer  .  In conversation  between her  husband and Mine  ,  my husband  was told NONE  of  this  was true .       WHY do  people  do this ?   I  feel like  such  a gullable  idiot  for believing  it all .    YOU can  e-mail  me  @   cajunlizz0315@cox.net  ,  or  post reply in here

February 9, 2008, 4:46 pm CST

lairs

Quote From: cajunlizz0315

I have  a friend of  3 years  that I recently  found out  everything this person has  ever told me  are  lies .  and  I am  NOT referring to  LITTLE WHITE   LIES  NO ,  I  an  talking about something  that would of totally devestated   her  whole family ,  had this been  true . 

1st.  she told me  ,  HER  DAUGHTER  ,  4 year old  grand daughter , and 2 month old  baby grand daughter   were involved  in a  head on collision  in Mobile  , Alabama ,  which  she  also said  the only survivor was the 4 year old  .   THE  TRUTH  IS  :  the  2  month old  baby  grand daughter is  the only  one that DID NOT  survive  .

2nd,   She told me  she  was fighting her  2nd.  cnacer .  1st. was  ovaian  cancer  and  NOW  Stomach  cancer  .  In conversation  between her  husband and Mine  ,  my husband  was told NONE  of  this  was true .       WHY do  people  do this ?   I  feel like  such  a gullable  idiot  for believing  it all .    YOU can  e-mail  me  @   cajunlizz0315@cox.net  ,  or  post reply in here

She wants attention. That's what lairs do they lie to get attention. My ex lied about alot of things and till today lies to get attention from other women. so they feel sorry for hhim and they will give him sex and attention. Just let her know that it's okay that she doesn't have to lie for you to be her friend. She is maybe in denial about the baby. Try to get her to loosen up around you. maybe she'll stop the lying.

February 10, 2008, 3:11 pm CST

friendship

Quote From: eday1987

Hey You this is Eric and yes from what I've read obviouy that you two have a really good relationship because like you said you all spent a whole lot of time together. I was more intrigued when I was reading the part when you and your friend split up and talked less frequent and other people involved. Im dying to tell you that isnt going anywhere. Im getting this sense you're not jealous but afraid because you think someone is taking your place.  There are times in life when very close friends seperat that doesnt mean she cares for you any less. Just because you and her apart doesnt meant shes not in you heart because she is. i wouldnt cut her off. you two are alike.

Hi Eric, thanks for your reply.  I did talk to a few other people and they are of the same opinion.  I could not bring myself to cut her out of my life completely, as I really do value her friendship.  I did tell her to meet with me for lunch and did indicated to her that I was extremely disappointed with her behaviour.  She admitted that she was wrong and she promised to  be in touch more often, but I don't know how  good she is at keeping her promise.  The thing is that  she lives and works literally a stone throw from where I live and work  and that is the hard part.  Anyways let's see how good is her promise.  Thanks again.

First | Prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | Next | Last