Message Boards

Topic : Being a Good Friend

Number of Replies: 515
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:18:38 am
Author : dataimport
What does it mean to be a good "friend"? Has  someone shown you the true meaning of friendship? Share your story here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 22, 2005, 4:01 pm CDT

i think

being a good friend is not only accepting your friends for who they are, but also being able to tell them when they are and (vice versa)

July 22, 2005, 4:36 pm CDT

angyl1964

being a good friend is not always just telling someone what they want to hear but careing enough about them to tell them what they might need to hear. better to hear those kind of things from someone you know truley cares about you and your well being.

July 22, 2005, 10:59 pm CDT

Unconditionally

Being a good friend is to accept someone unconditionally.

July 23, 2005, 8:54 am CDT

accepting

A good friend is someone who is accepting, loving and real. A good friend is someone who understands your needs and willing to do anything for you(with boundaries of course) and vis versa.

July 24, 2005, 8:20 am CDT

hard to find friends

hi

why is it that its hard to find a girl friend to love and be friends with and be happy ?

im not good looking -disabe -can't see  or hear to good to drive or work . beleave me you would not want to be in my shoes .seem the ladys i meet only what one thing  money and sex and good looking man . i don't drink or smoke or take bad drugs .

i dont even think dr.phil  ever talk about people like me who have a hard time finding the right one .

in some ways i think he puts us down .sure there are man who are lazy and etc .but im not them .

what i see in a person is what they are on the in side .and not what they look like on

the out side . same that the way life is here . but i keep going .becouse i know sooner or later there some one out there for me

July 24, 2005, 4:17 pm CDT

My best friend

I have been best friends with this guy for atleast 4 years I beleive.  When we first became friends we did everything together!!!  Well, both of us ended up going to a organization together to be a missionary.  When we were there people always gave us a hard time saying we were dating and didn't know it (which by the way i have never dated).  That put such a stress in our relationship, we both knew it was true but the others wouldn't leave us alone (even though some said they weren't serious).  Well, I went there with a huge wall and so many hidden things and well he went there with his own issues including his immaturity (which drove me crazy sometimes depending what it was).  So with all they were doing and the things that we as individuals had to face not realizing it we took it out on each other.  If we were upset with one person we reacted instead to our best friend (Me to him and him to me).  Finally, after a while of it all one day we just stopped talking.  We didn't discuss it say why or anything we just knew not to talk to the other.  I mean there was no fight of anykind just one day we didn't really talk anymore.  What made this even harder was that people somehow didn't realize we weren't talking anymore and still gave us a hard time.  It was like we were growing apart yet we weren't.  

We were going to India and on the way got stuck beside each other the whole way, by now we had been talking but well it wasn't always so nice (not that bad but yeah).  So, we started getting along a lot better as the plain ride went on but not long after being in India there we were not saying much again.  I really didn't know what to do so well once again we both kept our mouths shut until one day we were asked to go do something together.  We talked a little about it that day and finally started talking again.  Things weren't quite the same as they had once been but they were better then they had been.  So we finished the outreach still with something there that didn't seem quite right.  We got back to the original base and said some casual things but didn't really hang around each other the way we once had.  We finished this whole thing and went home, he stayed home but after a while i went back to this organization.  During the time that both of us were back home we never really talked for the longest time.

Anyway to make a long story short there was a time we started to do things a lot again but then it kind of died down just casue sometimes life works that way.  It has been 3 years and never until last night did we know the other was wondering what happened and did the other person feel the same way as we did.  It was so strange i mean if we would have really really talked about ti then a lot would have been saved but instead we got to see what a real friendship was all about. I mean even when we didn't talk we introduced or refered to the other as out friend!!!!

well i thought that was an incouraging story about friendships and how they can really survive anything and you all are only hearing a part of it!!!

July 24, 2005, 8:10 pm CDT

Meeting others

hi

why is it that its hard to find a girl friend to love and be friends with and be happy ?

im not good looking -disabe -can't see or hear to good to drive or work . beleave me you would not want to be in my shoes .seem the ladys i meet only what one thing money and sex and good looking man . i don't drink or smoke or take bad drugs .

i dont even think dr.phil ever talk about people like me who have a hard time finding the right one .

in some ways i think he puts us down .sure there are man who are lazy and etc .but im not them .

what i see in a person is what they are on the in side .and not what they look like on

the out side . same that the way life is here . but i keep going .becouse i know sooner or later there some one out there for me

Where do you go to meet girls? and how do you carry yourself? (what kind of attitude do you have? Are you a positive person? and how do you view life? Are you happy with yourself?). maybe just a few questions to ask yourself. You seem like a very positive person and if that is the case, I believe you will find that right person. Be true to your self and enjoy life and don't fall for the losers. Life is so full of great things and opportunities, don't be so hard on your self. be happy,polite, and set goals and strive for them, know what you want in a girl and don't settle for less.I believe it is more imporant to see a person from the inside then from the out as looks can be very deceiving. And I do know a little about how you are feeling. When I was dating my now husband, I was a littel over weight and I really wasn't that pretty, there was a young girl interested in him and thought he could do better and she was flirting around and really trying to get his attention. Yea, she was prettier and younger, even did slightly better then me in school, but it was me who he was falling for and it was me who he thought was the greatest. She may have had the looks but I had what it took to get the man I wanted. Though I was happy with life as a single person and all, there were times when I didn't think I was worth having, but my now husband proved all that wrong and he added so much more spark to my already good life. Be positive, kind and respect and love your self and life will definetly treat you well.

July 25, 2005, 5:56 am CDT

morning

Where do you go to meet girls? and how do you carry yourself? (what kind of attitude do you have? Are you a positive person? and how do you view life? Are you happy with yourself?). maybe just a few questions to ask yourself. You seem like a very positive person and if that is the case, I believe you will find that right person. Be true to your self and enjoy life and don't fall for the losers. Life is so full of great things and opportunities, don't be so hard on your self. be happy,polite, and set goals and strive for them, know what you want in a girl and don't settle for less.I believe it is more imporant to see a person from the inside then from the out as looks can be very deceiving. And I do know a little about how you are feeling. When I was dating my now husband, I was a littel over weight and I really wasn't that pretty, there was a young girl interested in him and thought he could do better and she was flirting around and really trying to get his attention. Yea, she was prettier and younger, even did slightly better then me in school, but it was me who he was falling for and it was me who he thought was the greatest. She may have had the looks but I had what it took to get the man I wanted. Though I was happy with life as a single person and all, there were times when I didn't think I was worth having, but my now husband proved all that wrong and he added so much more spark to my already good life. Be positive, kind and respect and love your self and life will definetly treat you well.

thanks

hm sounds like me the other way around looks i dont have / better then me / im single person /

dont drive /disable / cant work  but you know what in spit of all my short coming i stell going being shy itis hard to meet ladys  and they do have a hard time understanding mye when i talk which is one of my troubles .i do have a positive out look in life .i treat ladys with  respect .She dont  have to hasve the looks  to get a man .thats not what i see in a person .

your one lucky lady .

havwe a great day ok

fred

July 25, 2005, 2:17 pm CDT

break-ups

hello,
about six months ago a very good friend of mine was dumped by her serious boyfriend. my friend has shown positive signs, such as moving on and meeting new people. unfortunately, she has been going though a relapse lately. she is becoming depressed and obsessed with the break up, constantly wanting to contact him and talk about him. she has also told me that her "break up attacks" have come more often lately.

how can i help her move on? how can i help her realize that this guy was an idiot and she is worth so much better?

NOW... ANOTHER friend went through the same thing about the same amount of time ago. since the breakup, she has become a completely different person, hanging out with different and sometimes completely random people; not bothering to contact her real friends, and partying ALL the time. she still "meets up" with her ex and they have physical encounters. unfortunately, although they seem to be happy in this situation, he will be leaving the country for a year or two in about a week.

how do i help my friends?!

sincerely,
jaybeez

July 25, 2005, 6:28 pm CDT

A Jaybeez letter to Vlaanderen.

Quote From: jaybeez

hello,
about six months ago a very good friend of mine was dumped by her serious boyfriend. my friend has shown positive signs, such as moving on and meeting new people. unfortunately, she has been going though a relapse lately. she is becoming depressed and obsessed with the break up, constantly wanting to contact him and talk about him. she has also told me that her 'break up attacks' have come more often lately.

how can i help her move on? how can i help her realize that this guy was an idiot and she is worth so much better?

NOW... ANOTHER friend went through the same thing about the same amount of time ago. since the breakup, she has become a completely different person, hanging out with different and sometimes completely random people; not bothering to contact her real friends, and partying ALL the time. she still 'meets up' with her ex and they have physical encounters. unfortunately, although they seem to be happy in this situation, he will be leaving the country for a year or two in about a week.

how do i help my friends?!

sincerely,
jaybeez

Dear Jaybeez. I with you all the way. I like to have a good friends but not have a girlfriend at all be-

case I like to be single all the time.  Well I had better close now. Your friend. Russell Barrie Vlaande-

ren.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last