Message Boards

Topic : Being a Good Friend

Number of Replies: 515
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:18:38 am
Author : dataimport
What does it mean to be a good "friend"? Has  someone shown you the true meaning of friendship? Share your story here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 27, 2005, 10:29 pm CDT

Hi There Sorry I have Not Answered Sooner

Quote From: jyakfour

Hi ShortyLock!   

I am jyakfour. I am 38, Married 12 years as of Aug 14, Happy Anniversary by the way!   

I am from Calgary Alberta Canada. This is so cool because I love snow globes too and I think that Vince Gill has the most gorgeous eyelashes ever and he doesn't look bad in a pair of jeans either lol.  

You have no idea how long I have been waiting to see a message board for someone just like me who likes to talk and joke. I do hope that person is you. I have visited the U.S. but not KY, I am sure it is very pretty there as I have seen pictures, and most of the states I have visited were very nice. Well I hope that we can become friends, it sure would be nice to get to know someone from the U.S.  

Hoping to see a reply  

take care.  

Hi there in Canada. Thank you for the anniversary wishes. Sorry I did not answer sooner. I've been busy here with some friend who had a health probl. And yes you are so right Vince Is hot and sexy and looks good in Jeans lol. Tho I think he looks hot in anything. Too bad he is married, (Sigh) lol. I am sure he and Amy are very happy. Yes I love too joke around and have lots of fun and I am allways here for my friends. Wow Jyakfour thats a long time too be married. Congrats. Thats very rear here in the US that people are married that long or even longer. I would love too meet Vince Gill in person. But lord knows when that will happen. I hope we can be friends too. I have a email in my profile email me if you would like. I would love it very much. As I allways say never can have too many friends in this world. Kentucky is a very pretty state. Tho all I see are cows not many horses. I love horses. How is the weather there theys days? Its been hot sticky and wet then hot and sticky and humid. I hate summer allways have and allways will lol. I love Fall and Winter. Well its late and I need too go too bed Again sorry I did not answer your message till now. Fell free too email me ok? Hope too hear from you soon. Your new friend from the US Shorty/Tina

August 28, 2005, 6:53 am CDT

need advice

Hello,    

I have an issue that eats away at me daily and I figured I would get soem objective opinions.  I had an best freind for 2o yrs...while now I realize it was mostly toxic. During that time we had many "joint" friends. However my best friend of 20 yrs treated me like dirt, used me and betrayed me.  During the course of that time we met another friend and we all used to hang out all the time. One day my ex best friend decided to not talk to our new friend anymore, for no good reason, and the new friend was fine with it.  Then when I decided that I had to let go of this toxic friendship with my ex best friend, she ran right to our "new" friend whom I had become very close with, as well as some other joint friends. However all of my other friends stood by me and said they had no desire to be freinds with my ex best friend who was toxic. However this one new friend has decided to become friends again with my  ex best friend because she never "really: did anything to hurt her. Now my ex best friend is even planning to go visit her and it makes me sick. How can someone that I value as a close freind want my ex best friend in thier life. I hate to make her choose, but I just cant stomache this relationship. Any advice would be appreciated.    

thanks in advance ;0)    

August 28, 2005, 8:43 am CDT

New friend...ex best friend drama....

Quote From: newhope76

Hello,    

I have an issue that eats away at me daily and I figured I would get soem objective opinions.  I had an best freind for 2o yrs...while now I realize it was mostly toxic. During that time we had many "joint" friends. However my best friend of 20 yrs treated me like dirt, used me and betrayed me.  During the course of that time we met another friend and we all used to hang out all the time. One day my ex best friend decided to not talk to our new friend anymore, for no good reason, and the new friend was fine with it.  Then when I decided that I had to let go of this toxic friendship with my ex best friend, she ran right to our "new" friend whom I had become very close with, as well as some other joint friends. However all of my other friends stood by me and said they had no desire to be freinds with my ex best friend who was toxic. However this one new friend has decided to become friends again with my  ex best friend because she never "really: did anything to hurt her. Now my ex best friend is even planning to go visit her and it makes me sick. How can someone that I value as a close freind want my ex best friend in thier life. I hate to make her choose, but I just cant stomache this relationship. Any advice would be appreciated.    

thanks in advance ;0)    

Are you seriously thinking about giving your newest best friend an ultimatum?? That would be the worse thing you could do. That would be very selfish of you- your new best friend's life shouldn't have to revolve around YOU. If she is truly your new best friend, then with time, she is going to realize that this exbest friend is toxic just like you did...but let me point out to you that it took you 20 years! So it might take her awhile, too. It sounds like the exbest friend is manipulative as well as toxic, how else could she have kept you around for so long? She is probably an expert in manipulation, so she's going to try her bag of tricks on  your new friend. She will learn on her own, you shouldn't ask her to choose because when you do that, you will lose every time. Keep your dignity- by showing this doesn't bother you and being the "bigger person" you will keep a healthier relationship with your new friend. I suspect that you are worried that they will visit and then get to gossiping about you, right? If she is really your best friend, you DO have the right to ask her not to talk about you to the exbest friend, and if she is truly a good friend, she will comply with that. Otherwise, what they do together isn't your business.

August 30, 2005, 8:05 pm CDT

couldn't find your email

Quote From: shortylock

Hi there in Canada. Thank you for the anniversary wishes. Sorry I did not answer sooner. I've been busy here with some friend who had a health probl. And yes you are so right Vince Is hot and sexy and looks good in Jeans lol. Tho I think he looks hot in anything. Too bad he is married, (Sigh) lol. I am sure he and Amy are very happy. Yes I love too joke around and have lots of fun and I am allways here for my friends. Wow Jyakfour thats a long time too be married. Congrats. Thats very rear here in the US that people are married that long or even longer. I would love too meet Vince Gill in person. But lord knows when that will happen. I hope we can be friends too. I have a email in my profile email me if you would like. I would love it very much. As I allways say never can have too many friends in this world. Kentucky is a very pretty state. Tho all I see are cows not many horses. I love horses. How is the weather there theys days? Its been hot sticky and wet then hot and sticky and humid. I hate summer allways have and allways will lol. I love Fall and Winter. Well its late and I need too go too bed Again sorry I did not answer your message till now. Fell free too email me ok? Hope too hear from you soon. Your new friend from the US Shorty/Tina
hi Tina. I couldn't find your email from your profile. My email is available on my profile, so please email me ok. I did reply earlier but I think I took too long and the site automatically bumped me off. Looking forward to hearing from you!!!! Gotta go for now. Take care your friend from up north. jyakfour/Yvonne

September 1, 2005, 7:42 pm CDT

I Sent You A Email

hi Tina. I couldn't find your email from your profile. My email is available on my profile, so please email me ok. I did reply earlier but I think I took too long and the site automatically bumped me off. Looking forward to hearing from you!!!! Gotta go for now. Take care your friend from up north. jyakfour/Yvonne
Hi Yvonne I just wanted too come in and say Hi and too ask if u got my email I sent? I hope so I am looking foward too getting too know you more. Now that I know your name lol. Hope it was ok too say your name? If not I am so sorry. Well let me know if you got the email or not ok? Hugs and stay safe Tina/Shorty,......

September 2, 2005, 9:53 am CDT

being a good friend

a good friend is somebody who will laugh and cry with you,  

is there for you in good and bad times.  

somebody who you can call in the middle of the night to tell your problem.  

September 3, 2005, 2:26 am CDT

it is all good

Quote From: shortylock

Hi Yvonne I just wanted too come in and say Hi and too ask if u got my email I sent? I hope so I am looking foward too getting too know you more. Now that I know your name lol. Hope it was ok too say your name? If not I am so sorry. Well let me know if you got the email or not ok? Hugs and stay safe Tina/Shorty,......
hi Tina, I havent received your email yet, but I am checking regularily. It is all good to say my name on the message board. I know it is extremely late but I am home with just my son and we watched movies for most of the evening, mom and son time you know. I didn't even realize the time, holy cow it is 3:15 in the morning! I am usually up this late on Friday evenings anyway, just chillin' to movies and of course typing to you lol. I am really going to enjoy this weekend because it is a long weekend for us in Canada. It is our labor day weekend or also known as the last long weekend of the summer, waaaa. lol. The next long weekend for us is in October 10, Thanksgiving Day, or Columbus day for you. Well I am going to make this short because by rights I should be in bed and there is nothing on t.v. but infomercials, yuk. I hope to get your email soon! Till then, TTFN Yvonne.

September 3, 2005, 4:38 pm CDT

found your email at last!!

hi Tina, I havent received your email yet, but I am checking regularily. It is all good to say my name on the message board. I know it is extremely late but I am home with just my son and we watched movies for most of the evening, mom and son time you know. I didn't even realize the time, holy cow it is 3:15 in the morning! I am usually up this late on Friday evenings anyway, just chillin' to movies and of course typing to you lol. I am really going to enjoy this weekend because it is a long weekend for us in Canada. It is our labor day weekend or also known as the last long weekend of the summer, waaaa. lol. The next long weekend for us is in October 10, Thanksgiving Day, or Columbus day for you. Well I am going to make this short because by rights I should be in bed and there is nothing on t.v. but infomercials, yuk. I hope to get your email soon! Till then, TTFN Yvonne.
I had to add this on, I finally found your email and sent you a message. I hope you got it. I still haven't received your email yet. Just to be sure you have the right one here it is, yguard40@hotmail.com ok. TTFN! Yvonne

September 3, 2005, 8:57 pm CDT

Just In Case

I had to add this on, I finally found your email and sent you a message. I hope you got it. I still haven't received your email yet. Just to be sure you have the right one here it is, yguard40@hotmail.com ok. TTFN! Yvonne
Hi its me I answered 2 of your emails. I hope you get them. I did sent them too yguard40   @ hotmail.com I do not know why you did not get the email. Tho its quiet funny you answered all my questions I asked in the email lol. I am not sure what user name u use for your messenger? I use for yahoo witchgirl172 and for AOL if u have it my user name is Shortylock I have both messengers open now. I hope too talk too you soon. I do not have MSN sorry. Well thats all for now Take care Tina/Shorty,.....

September 6, 2005, 8:54 am CDT

Life time friend

Hi, 

I've a life time friend. 

I know her since she was a baby, I'm now 30 and she is 28. We grown up together. We are there for each other. 

I'm her (in the netherlands we don'tn have bride maids honor but only best (wo)mans) best women in may 2006. It means a great deal for both of us. It give a extra dimension to our friendship. I go with her to look for weeding dress, shoes, everything that involves wit the day. 

But is also wonderful for my, becaus I'm the only one who is not a family. 

We are there for each other, 24/7. We have been away for holidays together, respect our ideas, lifestyle. And we have our tough times and been there for each other. Esspecially, she still is there for my, because I still have to deal wit my chronic illnes. 

But I know I can always count on her as she can count on my. 

That is true friendship. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last