Message Boards

Topic : 12/20 Cranky Kids

Number of Replies: 135
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 21, 2007, 12:19:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/26/07) Do you wish kids came with a manual? Dr. Phil shines the light on the biggest mistakes parents make, and along with Dr. Frank Lawlis, author of Mending the Broken Bond, he tells parents how to calm the atmosphere in their homes. First up, Renee says her 3-year-old son won't behave, unless her husband, Brian, is around. What do they need to do to get his behavior under control? Next, Angie, mother to three kids, says her youngest child's tantrums can last up to 30 minutes. Could Angie's guilt be contributing to her son's behavior? Then, Shannon joins Dr. Phil via Web cam to get help with her 4-year-old son, Branson, who screams, kicks, hits, bites and calls her names. What is the big mistake she makes? And, Michael, is a stay-at-home dad to 3-year-old McKenna, who throws tantrums daily. Could he be to blame for her outbursts? Plus, Suzette and Tony's 5-year-old son, Malachai, has already been kicked out of three preschools, because he hits teachers, throws toys and won't follow the rules. Find out what in-home video cameras caught on tape, and why Malachai's parents say it's "disturbing." And, see what happens when Dr. Lawlis makes a house call to Eve, whose 10-year-old daughter, Julia, tells her, "I wish you were dead." Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 26, 2007, 6:01 pm CDT

watching this show made me realize..

just how important it is to use good behavior in front of my 4 yr old daughter , cause she does copy alot of my actions and then I wonder where does she learn it from ?,well I can just look in the mirror and answer is staring back at me.

September 26, 2007, 6:12 pm CDT

reply to jdillner

"Some of the children are evidencing demonic behavior"??? What a bunch of NONSENSE!

September 26, 2007, 6:21 pm CDT

reply to CanadianDucky

Your post made me giggle. Sounds like a typical 12 year old to me! Hang in there, mom! :)

September 26, 2007, 6:32 pm CDT

AWESOME SHOW TODAY

Thanks Dr. Phil for this awesome show today I don't know what to do with my 17 month old daughter who has temper tantrums and doesn't know to many words so she doesn't know how to communicate what she is feeling so I learned that I need to be careful about my actions I don't swear but I do lose my temper and sometimes slam the door and yell and stomp my feet and also I liked how Dr. Phil was talking about communicating that you understood how they were feeling you want that coloring nook so they know you understood anyway I stlll have a lot of questions but i learned some things so thanks

September 26, 2007, 8:18 pm CDT

Not Cranky kids, Just Little Terrors!!

I am still floored every time I hear the phrase "negotiate with your child", what in the world makes you think that actually works. I was raised by a single mom and she never negotiated with me or my sister, we did what we were told or suffered the consequences till the age of 18. I have 2 kids 14 & 10 and I have never once "negotiated" a deal with either of them, they walk a chalk line, they listen, mind me & their dad, respect their elders, have daily chores, and compared to alot of their other friends, my kids ROCK!!!, absolutely they are not by any means perfect, but by God, they are really good kids & its because they had no option, WE didnt give them one, no negoteation, no democracy in this household hahaha. Would you negotiate with a terroist!!!, same holds for a spoiled child!!!.TAKE CONTROL !, if your 4 or 5 yr old can make you do what they want by screaming & crying & hitting, then you being the PARENT are not in control. GET A GRIP. LROD & DADDY

September 26, 2007, 9:14 pm CDT

Isrodriguez

So you view children as little terroist? really? That is just sad you have that view of them. There is nothing wrong with giving options to your child, some people don't understand you also have to limit there choice, give them to many options and they get lost. You control there world but you can let them have some free will in there life, like clothes, food, trips, toys, etc. It helps them to grow in to better adults. For we really cant control there wholes lives until there 18 and then what if you actaully did, can you image a 18 year old free in the world that has never made there own choices before, kinda sad. I couldn't image limiting my child that much, or just thinking there mean horrible little people that I have to control with fear.

September 26, 2007, 9:21 pm CDT

negotiate

My relationship with my husband is negotaited...but with the kids? Sorry. Delayed obedience is not obedience. If kids can't obey the audible voices of their parents, then how are they going to grow up and obey the still small voice of God? Maybe that's not politically correct, but truth is truth. it's true, sometimes in the middle of the floor screaming their lungs out, they can look and act possessed!!!! But to suuges that they are dealing with demonic issues is absured and off topic. We can negotiate such things as if they are asked to do something and they are in the middle of something else and things like that, otherwise, we're the parents, and that's about all there is to that. We have 4 very loving almost grown kids whom we've been able to take anywhere!

September 26, 2007, 9:48 pm CDT

Milachai's slapping

I can understand where Milachai is coming from. I remember when I was younger and I got EXTREMELY mad I used to bite my arm really really hard. I dont know why I did it at the time. It was my release of anger. I got laughed at because I did it around friends. I would even draw blood. Now being a woman in my mid twenties I was diagnosed with depression and social anxiety. I guess you could see that even back then. Something else to think about I guess.

September 27, 2007, 12:04 am CDT

Cranky Kids

I have 4 kids, all grown now. They were 4yrs apart approx., so when the youngest was born, the others were 4,8 and 12. Each with their own personalities. They would be cranky...but it was NEVER, every day...all day long! I never swore in front of them, and would not allow anyone else to. They never hit me, or bit me. Each had their "bad" period, or terrible two's....but nothing like I've seen today, One was fussy about meal-time...another was hard to get to bed, the 3rd was an angel, and never had much of a problem with, and the fourth, quiet and shy. I didn't spank. and a stern "Don't make me tell you again" worked 9 times out of 10. Don't get me wrong! They were not angels, there have been moments...I've seen Supernanny, and the Nanny...and I am in shock. I am not saying by any means that I was the greatest parent....we learn along the way too. I just never let it get THAT out of control. I guess I was lucky...

September 27, 2007, 12:50 am CDT

Thank YOU!

This morning I caught just a portion of your show, but I think it was what I really needed to hear at this time to survive my own personal drama! My husband and I both have Bachelors degrees, mine being in Family and Community Service - Early Childhood Development. Even with a degree we've decided I should stay home with my youngest daughter (the best decision I've ever made, but one of the hardest to do financially) We have few luxuries, but have 3 wonderful daughters to show for it. Then about 6-9 months ago I ruptured 1 disk and tore another and I couldn't walk, sit or stand. So I ended up waiting on bedrest and wasting the whole summer with my daughter until I could get surgery to fix it. I let my girls age 16, 12 and 4 go to my sisters farm for a good portion of the summer, so they didn't have to sit in the house doing nothing. While waiting, my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer and they schedule her to have surgery as well. 1 week before my surgery my Grandma died, unexpectly of natural causes (she was 91 it really shouldn't have come as a big surprise, right? Well it still hit me really really hard, as she was my last living grandparent and I wasted this last summer with her waiting for someone to fix me.) It turned out my mom's surgery and mine would be at the same exact time on the same exact day, in 2 different hospitals 2 hours apart! There was no way for either of us to support the other. Now with the medical bills from all summer, necessary items for school for my school aged daughters, things were getting a bit tight. I noticed during my bedrest my teeth really were suffering and planned as soon as I could lay on my back again I needed to visit the dentist. I had my post op appointment with the surgeon and he said everything was looking good. This was a Friday, so I planned to call the dentist on Monday. Unfortunately I broke my right 2nd tooth lengthwise that night! I was sure I'd have to have a root canal on it now. When I got into the dentist, he looked at my teeth. They've always been bad, very soft and grew large cavaties. At this point 5 in the upper jaw would have to come out! OMG! We don't have dental insurance!! I understood, but had no idea where I'd come up with $1000.00 to get them out! He found a surgeon who would take payments, so now were working on that, but there was one of the last straws financially. It was time to give up my 1 really luxury, the horse I raised since he was 4 months old, now 25 years. I can't afford to pay $100.00 board anymore and feed my family. So I did it, my sister took him to the other side of the state last weekend to a friend of hers that has horses. I sat down and looked at my income and our expenses. Since we've lived modestly we don't have huge credit card debt or other bills, but I realized I will only have $44.00 a week to feed 5 people. That was the really moment I knew I was headed for a depression and it was going to be hard to fix me. Which actually was even more depressing. After the last month of grieving, and overall feeling afraid for my mom and sad for myself, I spent a good 4 days on a constant verge of tears. Then I head Dr. Phil say "Children should be joyous. They should be joyful to have around, and they should be joyous in their lives,� he says. “Your job is to raise a joyful child. If your child is just screaming, and yelling, and kicking and gnashing the teeth, then you need to change what you’re doing.� My children, especially the youngest who was with me all day every day, was definately NOT Joyous! I was taking that from her! I was focusing on my 6 months of pain, 1 month of horrible events, financial misfortunes and an outlook of doom, instead of looking into the beautiful eyes of my precious little girl who should be Joyous!!! Today that stopped! I can't say it's completely over, but today was the first day that my daughter shared any joy with me. I can't thank Dr. Phil enough for saying the exact right thing at the exact right time! Now I have hope again. Lifes hard sometimes, but my children get to be joyous anyway! thanks again!! I'll be looking for Dr. Lawlis' new book when the budget gets bigger :)

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last