Message Boards

Topic : Difficulty Forming Friendships

Number of Replies: 345
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:19:42 am
Author : dataimport
Do you have difficulty making or finding friends? Meet others like you and share your story.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 11, 2006, 11:26 am CST

would enjoy chatting

Quote From: jennife72

hi everyone  

i am from indiana and looking for penpals  

i am 33 and a single mom who is attached  

looking for friends to chat with  

take care 

I am 22 mother of three from iowa also looking for some friends to chat with my email is  in my profile if you are interested in chatting

January 13, 2006, 7:32 pm CST

Hi I would love to meet up with other britts in the usa

Hi thank you to everyone that emailed.I would love to meet up with other brits /scottish people living in Philly .That would be really fun,and wonderfull for me.I have many interests and hobbies .I would still welcome any others that want to chat.....thank you

January 13, 2006, 7:48 pm CST

Hi julie

Quote From: juliebgg

Hi again, Janice.  I am happy to hear that you are planning to take some classes.  If you take classes on things that you are interested in, you have a common ground with others in that class.  Same thing with doing volunteer work or whatever else you are interested in.  When you have a common ground, there is always something to talk about.  It is also important to show interest in other people, such as aasking them about hemselves (which you did in your e-mail to me!!) So I really think you will be fine; you just need to get out and meet more people! 

My interests?  I am a preschool teacher, and I enjoy reading, music, love animals, spending time with family, and travelling. Which is, of course, how I ended up in Scotland.  I was in the Edinburgh area, but would love to see the Highlands someday.  Where in Scotland are you from? 

Have a great day, Julie 

Hi Julie how are you ? I loved your email and hope that you send more.It is very hard to meet people over here when they are all in a family situation.I have no family here and very little left back in the old country.I have tried many things in the past ,but for one week turn off your cell phone and go to a new town everyday and see how many folks will really give you the time of day.You say you enjoy spending time with your family .Thats the thing i dont have a family,a cousin or an aunt or uncle.Over there  I do have some relations but few and far between most have passed on.This is why ,I get despondent at times.Most of the time Im fine and look forward to new meetings ,and I do .......Janice

January 14, 2006, 7:16 am CST

Happy Saturday Morning, Janice

Quote From: thistle

Hi Julie how are you ? I loved your email and hope that you send more.It is very hard to meet people over here when they are all in a family situation.I have no family here and very little left back in the old country.I have tried many things in the past ,but for one week turn off your cell phone and go to a new town everyday and see how many folks will really give you the time of day.You say you enjoy spending time with your family .Thats the thing i dont have a family,a cousin or an aunt or uncle.Over there  I do have some relations but few and far between most have passed on.This is why ,I get despondent at times.Most of the time Im fine and look forward to new meetings ,and I do .......Janice

Dear Janice: 

Sorry to hear that you get despondent at times. I guess it is hard if you are a "people" person but don't have many people to associate with.  Yes, I do have family but it is a small one.  Very little of my extended family is nearby, so my time is basically spent with my immediate family (husband, kids).  My best friend moved away several years ago and while we stay in touch by phone, I do wish she was close by.  We do get together with other friends sometimes but it seems that everyone is very busy with family things much of the time. I do work with alot of women, and they are very nice so that does give me some of that "girl" time.  

Do you ever go over to visit Scotland?  Is your husband from over there too?  I ate plenty of delicious shortbread cookies....more than I should have!....when we visited.  I bought one beautiful scarf there and have been using it this winter.  A nice reminder of Edinburgh.  Loved the Castle and St. Giles Cathedral and the "closes" in Edinburgh.  My husband loves the Firth of Forth railway bridge. 

Have a nice Saturday and keep in touch!! 

January 23, 2006, 6:09 pm CST

I never had issues with friendship before...

I am very much a "people person" and have always had several very good friends. But, the past few years have been rough. I lost several good friends- one to betrayal, another due to misunderstandings. A few years ago I made a new friend- and she is so great, but we have such totally different lives, it is often hard to do stuff together, and we both like to do different stuff. Her life is very busy and chaotic- she spends most of her time with her kids. I need time without my kids, but she doesn't seem to have that need.I need so much to have "girlfriend time" that it's killing me! I love to go out and do kareoke, I love to dance, have a few drinks, etc. This is very relaxing for me. I just don't have any friends who like or can do this anymore. I feel often like I am being a bad friend, because lately I haven't been making much efforts to get together with my best friend. I feel terrible! I have a ver happy life- I am happily married with 2 children- one who is 11mos old. I don't have to work much because my husband makes a good income. But, I am greatly missing having that time with my girlfriends- I feel like a part of me is missing. I don't want to lose my friendship with my best friend- she is one of the most wonderful people I have ever met.

January 24, 2006, 5:02 am CST

Well, hi there!

Quote From: rivergal

Hello, 

I am a 41 y.o. female who is looking for friendship. I miss being a preteen and having pen pals. I would love to meet new cyber friends with similiar interests.  

I am married with children. Love to get e-mail from friends or chatting on line. I even like to get an 

old fashioned in the mail card or letter occassionally. 

Hope to get some responses from some new friends. 

Debbie Grant 

Hi there! 

I am a 29 (almost 30 year old) housewife that is also looking for email onine friends. I also miss those preteen years and having a pen pal. If you are interested in speaking with me please let me know. Hope to talk to you soon. Take care. And have a great day. Laura 

January 25, 2006, 3:31 pm CST

Don't feel like the lone ranger

Quote From: freethinka

I am very much a "people person" and have always had several very good friends. But, the past few years have been rough. I lost several good friends- one to betrayal, another due to misunderstandings. A few years ago I made a new friend- and she is so great, but we have such totally different lives, it is often hard to do stuff together, and we both like to do different stuff. Her life is very busy and chaotic- she spends most of her time with her kids. I need time without my kids, but she doesn't seem to have that need.I need so much to have "girlfriend time" that it's killing me! I love to go out and do kareoke, I love to dance, have a few drinks, etc. This is very relaxing for me. I just don't have any friends who like or can do this anymore. I feel often like I am being a bad friend, because lately I haven't been making much efforts to get together with my best friend. I feel terrible! I have a ver happy life- I am happily married with 2 children- one who is 11mos old. I don't have to work much because my husband makes a good income. But, I am greatly missing having that time with my girlfriends- I feel like a part of me is missing. I don't want to lose my friendship with my best friend- she is one of the most wonderful people I have ever met.
Hi, You shouldn't feel guilty for wanting to have some you time. I am a mother of one and I still like to have a little fun. I don't think you should neglect your friend, but try explaining things to her just as you did in your message.  I'm no spring chicken, but I still like to dance a little too. My problem has been all my friends have kids, and can't get a babysitter or their husbands won't help. So If I don't go by myself, I don't go. I also live in a very small town, and in order to do things you have to drive atleast 45 min. So don't lose hope hang in there.

January 26, 2006, 2:03 am CST

hi

hi, 

i m new here n i would like to have some kool frns here 

January 26, 2006, 6:20 am CST

no friends

As many of you have experienced, friends come and go for different reasons.  I have lost 3 friends due to relocation, and now have really only one close friend.  She is the best friend I have every had, we respect and are loyal to one another, and when we go out we have a great time.  The thing is I need more friends in my life.  I am a single mom of one and have no partner.  I just don't know how to make friends.  I believe myself to be a good person, but you meet people then that is it.  They have their family and partner, and own friends, and are usually working, meaning they only have weekends free which seems they spend with their families etc.  My child goes out alot more now and I have too much time on my hands!!   

I have meet people through study but now that has finished and so have the friendships.  I have made contact with them and we have chatted for ages on the phone but then thats it.  Its me calling and trying to set up a time to meet, but they seem busy.  Is persistance the answer?  How do you make friends 

January 26, 2006, 6:25 am CST

Difficulty Forming Friendships

Quote From: freethinka

I was thinking that maybe connecting to a group that includes your children, like day care, or a mothers group may link you to other mums who feel just like you do.  I know of a couple of people that have started their own mum groups.  They meet for coffee once a week, and also arrange social activities without the kids.  Just an idea! 

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last