Message Boards

Topic : 12/28 Hobo Daddy

Number of Replies: 649
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 21, 2007, 12:20:55 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/27/07) Jerry has been out of his daughter, Kayla's, life for 17 years – - by choice.  He went on the run to avoid paying child support, now lives as a hobo floating down the Mississippi River on a raft.  Kayla had no contact with Jerry until a couple of filmmakers decided to make a documentary about his life.  The film is called “Nobody,” and Kayla says it actually glorifies her deadbeat Dad. Learn what Jerry says in the film that is so repugnant to Kayla that she feels compelled to confront her father and set the record straight. Then, Dr. Phil takes you on an unusual search for the man who calls the Mississippi River his home. When the searchers meet Jerry face to face, is he ready for a confrontation with the daughter he hasn’t seen since she was a toddler? Hear why he says he stayed away when tragedy struck their family. Emotions run high when father and daughter face off. But will Jerry have the answers Kayla is looking for? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 23, 2007, 8:26 am CDT

You're right!

Quote From: peggytomlin

Dear Dr. Phil,I think this guy needs to be taken out to the very river he has called home for so many years and kinda dropped overboard!!!!!!!!! I just think It's horrible for him to receive any publisity for any of this.I also think that if there is any money's paid it should go to his child and maybe she can get the help she needs to live a more quaility of life! It's like all the pubbishity that O.J. is receiving It's wrong really wrong, he has done enough to his family without being rewarded for it! Someone should but a stop to that as well! Thank You again for all the help and issues that you bring forward to the press and the effort you try and right. But then again every wrong can't be made right!!!!!!!!!! Peggy Tomlin
You're exactly right and thank you for your comments!

September 23, 2007, 8:28 am CDT

Sickening!

Quote From: kaylakristine

It's sad that someone can just up and leave their family.. Not to mention the rest of the story.. and that's the main reason I was there!  FOR SOMEONE WHO COULDN'T BE THERE!!!!!!!!! 

Jerry - 2 children, 4 grandchildren, a whole family he don't even bother to check up, didn't even know his dad died until a long while after...  Didn't bother to go to his dads or not to mention someone else who should have been VERY important to him, didn't even bother to go to their funerals... And for someone who can DO A FREAKIN RE-ENACTMENT OF FINDING OUT THAT YOU SON DIED, THAT'S JUST FREAKIN SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, and I bet that in between "sobs" when he was "reacting" (so to speak) to finding out about Micah's death, I wonder if he was smiling at them and asking "Was that good?"!!!!!

September 23, 2007, 8:52 am CDT

Too late to make ammends

I can't believe a father would risk losing his children, just because he didn't want to pay child support. He was a loser to begin with, and if he really wanted to change, he would have done it a long time ago and started to help support his daughter. There is a point when you try to do things too late and it won't help. The only reason he would have for wanting to get back in contact with his daughter, is because she is over the age of 18 and he won't have to pay up. I don't blame her at all for not wanting contact with him. I do feel bad for the decisions he made, (though I am in NO way defending him) only because I could never imagine running away to avoid paying some support. My children are way to precious to think about doing anything like that.

September 23, 2007, 8:52 am CDT

My Hobo Brother-in-law

I am someone who grew up and went to school with Jerry. I am also Kayla's aunt and I've seen first hand what Jerry put her and her mother and her brother through and the financial side is the LEAST of it! At one time he was a good person and I said a lot of prayers for him in those early years but then he chose the alcohol and drugs over his family. In fact, he verbally told his wife and children along with several of his siblings that if they were asking him to make a choice between the booze and drugs or them, then that THEY lose........ and that's when my sister realized that there WAS no salvation for him.. He abandoned them and never looked back. His son tried to find a "father" somewhere in him but Jerry wasn't capable of being that.   Kayla, as a toddler, only had vague memories and bits of conversation that she'd overheard to remember him by. She was definitely better off that way while growing up.  She's grown into a wonderful, responsible woman who is also an awesome mother!  Unlike her father, she cherishes her children and would never forsake them in any way.  She learned THAT part from her own mother who gave Kayla and her brother enough love for both parents.   After all of these years and knowing what Jerry's "lifestyle" is, I didn't expect much when I saw him.... but it was a thousand times worse than I imagined because it was like viewiing the "living dead"........ I don't think he has a heart or soul left and certainly no guilt or regret for what he did to his children!  It pained me to watch Kayla finally confront him and get "nothing" (emotionally) back in return but I'm glad she went through with it. It took a great deal of courage on her part but she did it, not only for her own CLOSURE, but out of love for someone else in particular.

I may be a bit prejudiced (ha!) but it's going to be a terrific show and I believe (hope!) it will touch many hearts and maybe change some lives before it's too late.  When a man fathers a child he has no right to throw them away and run from responsibility.... and I'm NOT just talking money here!!

Brenda

September 23, 2007, 9:00 am CDT

not a great dad

I had a not so great dad either, he didnt walk out of our lives till till him an mom divorced ,even then he got mad at mom cause he left her half of the house to my brother so he could live there still till he found his ow n place. dad wanted to move on , sell the house as the dump it was an move on with a woman he was cheating with. today he wont do anything for us without his new wife giving him the ok.

September 23, 2007, 9:34 am CDT

concerned

Like a few on the board, I'm anxious to see the final product of this show.   Through out this whole ordeal, my biggest concern was closure for Kayla.  I know "John Q Public" have their own opinions - and rightfully so -- but it bothersome when no one really knows what Kayla has been through all these years,  and some have such judgmental opinions of her.  I know Kayla is an adult, and she wouldn't have pursued any of this if she couldn't handle it ... and I know she can handle any comment on this message board - in fact, she'll chew you up and spit you out if she wants to.   ;-)

Anger harms the person holding it - it does nothing to the one its aimed at.  Kayla, I'm proud of you for pursuing this and seeking closure.  I pray you fulfilled your desire.

September 23, 2007, 5:05 pm CDT

FUNNY...

I just thought it was funny how the film makers are soo rude and self centered that they're using this as publicity for themselves and announcing that ''NOBODY IS ON DR. PHIL''

It's not about your pointless movie.. it's about ME.. for once. 

September 23, 2007, 6:35 pm CDT

09/27 Hobo Daddy

Quote From: ossmobile

Here in Canada the family court laws force a man to pay out so much money to the first wife a second family is in big trouble. Child support laws based on only one parent have 100% of the access. In Ontario the family courts are pushing many people to killing themselves.

Ontario is not changing a thing and even though the Supreme Court ruled the child support guidelines are out to lunch nothing changed. I raised my three kids without a penny coming from the mother and our courts here in Ontario are so corrupt I never even bothered talking here to court.

I can understand his actions and it doesn't mean he doesn't love his daughter. The courts just don't get it!!

Run Hobo run!!!

Support is only one of the reasons Jerry claims to not have stayed to father his children.  If you choose to let your ex wife not contribute to your children's welfare of growing up then it was wrong of you to sale them short.  I too raised my kids without any support, but Jerry thought more of his drugs and alcohol then he did his kids or his own family he left behind.  Jerry had enough contact with Kayla's brother growing up that was ten years older than her to teach him about all the evils of addicting drugs and such before he walked out of his life too. He didn't parent him and only had a partying relationship.  Her brother is the one that killed his self, not the support paying parent.  Get real!  This is a story about a dead beat father that offered his children nothing in life.  Even if he paid child support in full, he'd still be a deadbeat dad that couldn't father his kids any.  His actions clearly show that he didn't love his daughter or son.  It has nothing to do with the courts or your situation. 

September 23, 2007, 6:57 pm CDT

09/27 Hobo Daddy

EXACTLY!

And the thing is.. he stopped paying child support and my mother never pursued it anyways.  And it's not liked he would work to pay it anyways... and it's not about that anyways.

But people don't get it... I guess.  LOL

They don't get it!  It's like buying something you don't want and they don't want to waiste thier money.  It's sad for them to use child support for an excuse to not want to parent children.  I guess it's their pathetic way to put blaim back on us, the parent that is responsible in raising them.  It's sad to the children left behind, but in alot of ways probably best for them to not have such a selfish adult being a part of their raising.  Ater all if the child was that important to them then it would be worth their last dime to have all the time with them they could.  It's just an excuse to not help in raising the child.  I just can't imagion not having a CLOSE relationship with my kids.  These kind of parents are selfish and are more focused on theirselves.

September 23, 2007, 7:08 pm CDT

09/27 Hobo Daddy

Ummm... I look just like him.. LOL
Believe me if I thought it would prove him not to be the father, I'd run to have it done.  Jerry has never denied being Kayla's father, he's just denied fathering her any.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last