Message Boards

Topic : 12/28 Hobo Daddy

Number of Replies: 649
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 21, 2007, 12:20:55 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/27/07) Jerry has been out of his daughter, Kayla's, life for 17 years – - by choice.  He went on the run to avoid paying child support, now lives as a hobo floating down the Mississippi River on a raft.  Kayla had no contact with Jerry until a couple of filmmakers decided to make a documentary about his life.  The film is called “Nobody,” and Kayla says it actually glorifies her deadbeat Dad. Learn what Jerry says in the film that is so repugnant to Kayla that she feels compelled to confront her father and set the record straight. Then, Dr. Phil takes you on an unusual search for the man who calls the Mississippi River his home. When the searchers meet Jerry face to face, is he ready for a confrontation with the daughter he hasn’t seen since she was a toddler? Hear why he says he stayed away when tragedy struck their family. Emotions run high when father and daughter face off. But will Jerry have the answers Kayla is looking for? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 23, 2007, 7:20 pm CDT

09/27 Hobo Daddy

Quote From: brendat715

Yeah, and I bet that in between "sobs" when he was "reacting" (so to speak) to finding out about Micah's death, I wonder if he was smiling at them and asking "Was that good?"!!!!!
How could someone even bear to act that out.  Maybe money is his focused and getting paid for his hobo preformance allowed it.  I have to relive it everyday of my life and to think of faking a filming of when it happened is sickening.  I wouldn't do it for no amount of money and couldn't do it.  It just shows how unattached he is to his own child to be able to fake hearing about the loss.

September 23, 2007, 7:22 pm CDT

09/27 Hobo Daddy

Quote From: kaylakristine

I just thought it was funny how the film makers are soo rude and self centered that they're using this as publicity for themselves and announcing that ''NOBODY IS ON DR. PHIL''

It's not about your pointless movie.. it's about ME.. for once. 

Kayla is on Dr.Phil and she brought Nobody there.  It's just that they're a part of his life, unlike her.

September 26, 2007, 12:45 am CDT

-

-

September 26, 2007, 2:43 am CDT

Hobo Daddies R the original Ghosts of Christmas Past/Present/Future

I have known too many men to avaiod paying support then disappear intentionally with the thoughts that "no see, no biggy" WRONG! 1. emotional damage to the kid , a girl needs her dad as much as a boy does. 2.It takes two to raise a child , no matter what anyone says or yells "I am a mother and father" no one is both nor will they ever be. Both jobs are hard and they take an expert to do them, like the whole person not a half. I raised my kids all 3 of them by my lil ole self. I did one job, mothering, I was not going to pretend to do both I could not and it is ignorant to think you can. I worked 3 jobs to make the rent and had to maintain medical for them and never even heard of welfare. My kids were not in sports and they hung out with the neighbor kids and sometimes things were horrible. Face it, I needed another parent. The father was not available and did not pay support and did not see his kids and disappeared and lied when confronted.what to do? Counseling , the kids will get the counseling as needed when needed and hope to god the dear sweet man will either show up some day or not, make amends or not , basically the old dude never has said "gee, kids I am very very sorry" They are all grown now and I am fine and no worse for wear, I do have a good sense of humour and the kids, They send christmas cards to scroodge*

September 26, 2007, 11:34 am CDT

What I hoped for..

When going into this, I didn't expect much [out of him]. But it's about ME now... I was quiet for 17 yrs. and now it was my time to speak, my time to let that man know what I think of him, and for him to realize that he's a piece of crap! Wait until you see the whole show, you think he was JUST bad for leaving my brother and me... wait until you hear the whole story of it. And the child support thing, this is not what it's about. I DON'T want his money and neither does my mother. If that was the case, he'd be sitting in a jail cell right now. I know where he is now. I'd rather sit in a homeless shelter [WITH MY CHILDREN - I wouldn't leave them] then accept a dime from that loser. As I said, I didn't expect much from him, my main goal in this, was to speak for someone who is no longer here to speak for himselves... and in the future, my children can look back on this, and see what a strong person their mother was. I stood up to someone who did me, and my family wrong, and I hope they learn from this. I stood up for my beliefs! It's NOT right for anyone, with any excuse, to walk out on their children and responsibilities.

September 26, 2007, 4:48 pm CDT

I admire Kayla

I admire you for going through with the whole show. I admire you for not just sitting back and complaining about your dad without doing anything about it. You are a very strong person and I know your kids will grow up admiring you just as I do. I know you've been through a lot in your life and I'm sure I don't even know the half of it, but you seem to handle things in most positive ways. I can't wait to see the show! -Tori

September 26, 2007, 5:02 pm CDT

Thank you Tori!

Thank you for your comment!!! It was very hard to do, I had my second thoughts and I was scared to death! But I did it! For my brother, for my family, for my children, and for all the other people out there whose fathers left them, whether it was to this extent or not. It's all the same, and it's all the same hurt.

September 26, 2007, 6:23 pm CDT

To Kayla and Glori

I too, admire you both. Glori - I know it must have been hell dealing with an irresponsible person like Jerry. I know it must be maddening to this day to have him heap blame on you for the breakup of your marriage. You know, I trust - everything he says, especially to himself, is just a feeble attempt to shirk responsibility again. And Kayla - I'm sure as a young girl all of this was horribly difficult to understand. As Dr. Phil would say, your father's actions definitely wrote on the slate of who you are. The good thing is you and your mother share a bond of strength and good values and integrity. I share your belief that Jerry is in no small way accountable for your brother/son's demons. What Jerry will never understand is a child of 13 isn't grown and isn't capable of really understanding that a parent's actions aren't their fault. Kids just want the love and respect of their parents - especially the same-sex parent and will go to nearly any lengths to get that love and respect, even if the parent in question is completely dysfunctional and incapable of doing the right thing. My personal belief is that Jerry and people like him are exactly where they ought to be - on the fringes of society. I believe first and foremost in personal responsibility - and that we pretty much choose the situations and circumstances of our lives by the way we carry out those responsibilities. Jerry is just one of those who will never grow up and will never understand what integrity and love really are. Dr. Phil is spot-on. Let Jerry disappear into the fog of the Mississippi. Forgive him because it releases you from all your anger and negativity, no matter how warranted. Do follow his example on one point - don't give him another thought and do your best to enjoy each and every moment of your life without the burden of his dark cloud. Blessings to you both.

September 26, 2007, 8:52 pm CDT

Mentalpause1

Thank you for the encouraging words and cares that you expressed. Life has it's share of hard times and what we went through with Jerry is no exception. I truely believe out of all bad comes good and so I hope to allow that to be in the airing of this show with the healing for Kayla that she needs. I would rather her face him in a controlled situation like the Dr.Phil show than on a moment of her own. It's sad to know that in spite of him not giving her sympathy or regret, that he'd also lie to add to her confusion of understanding. The truth is bad enough, but if anything he could of at least been responsible and gave her that. Thank you for your blessings and post. Glori

September 26, 2007, 9:10 pm CDT

Thank you!

Thank all of you for your support and words of encouragement! It's a reminder that people ARE compassionate and caring.... unlike Jerry! And I'm sure it helps to build Kayla's confidence that she doesn't NEED his "love" to go on and live a happy and successful life! Thanks for contributing! Brenda

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last